• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Warhawk Beta Summer of Awesome (PS3)

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
warbanner.png

Well, it's all over. The beta is closed and the Warhawks are silent until August 28th.

The text for the beta will remain up, as it'll come in handy when the full game is released methinks. :)

So, it was nice playing...we'll cya in August!

warhawk-20070622115430827.jpg

The old thread follows:

***************LISTEN UP NEW RECRUITS***************

You barely have two weeks to enjoy what Warhawk has to offer. Here are some quick tips for maximum awesome:

-Pressing L2 and R2 together in a jeep powersides. Doing so in a Warhawk clips the air in a powersliding way, which allows for extreme turns and strafe-bomb runs on bases. Plus it looks damn cool.

-The rifle on foot is near useless against a pistol. However, crouching with the circle button allows for incredible accuracy. Use the rifle for maximum defense, and the pistol for offense.

-The blue powerup for Warhawks (the lightning blast) seems a bit meh when used as a ground shot. But try powering it up by pressing and holding L1 (you must have at least ten shots available). Once the circle is filled, fire at an enemy vehicle/Warhawk to attach a huge electric blast that will disintegrate and heavily damage the enemy's sight. When shot at a human, more than half of their life can be taken away.

-That reminds me: don't shoot at humans with a Warhawk machine gun...it's not very effective and makes you a sitting duck.

-Zones is, by far, the best mode. Read up on your online manual to understand the mechanics.

-The pink missile powerup is the TOW missile (Warhawk). Before firing, get in a secure location that's not populated (perhaps out in the ocean) and look at your map to get your bearings before firing...it's near impossible to navigate the missile with the grainy HUD.

-Flamethrowers (human) are perfect for taking down turrets, tanks and jeeps. But mostly turrets.

-When in any vehicle, press and hold square. On the bottom of the screen is the blueprint for that vehicle. You can now freely switch around seats using the d-pad, perfect for driving the jeep and switching to the back turret immediately if needed.

-To dodge missiles, powerside around mountains or press right on the d-pad and L1 for chaffs if you have any.

-Remember, mines don't go off when crossed by any member on your team. Try placing mines on vehicles and placing them near key points (flags, base captures, etc.) Even better, place mines on a Warhawk and fly into enemy strongholds to blow yourself...and everyone around you...in a huge explosion.

-For better control of your Hawk, try Pro Control.

Have fun new recruits...cya on the battlefield!

THE CHANGES SO FAR: Here's a list from Dylan Jobe (Incog guy) on what will be fixed in the final version of the game, which was influenced by the beta test up to this point (June 9th):

-Game Performance

(General improvements found in the BETA patch, optimized fully. See below for more info.)

* Game now runs in 480p, 720p and 1080i.

* If a player/client is removed, kicked, or gets an unexpected network disconnect while playing on a ranked server, that server will persist their stats, points and awards -- even if they had to leave the game for whatever reason. As you all know, stats are posted/recorded to the main database at the end of the round. *Now* at that time all data is posted -- including data for players that left the game unexpectedly. The key here is that players will *no longer* be robbed of their hard earned points, awards or stats!

* Of course there is still one other way that server-admins can ninja a player's hard-earned points and that is to wait until the end of the round, or near the end of the round, and yank their network cable of power-cycle their PS3. Only the biggest of greifers do this but...based on all of your posts, this *does* happen. So...we now track on the main server, a new statistic that is "the number of ranked games hosted that don't complete". This very topic was actually discussed on the forums here and its a good idea. In that same thread, some of you wondered if it would be linked to server name -- thus being very easy to avoid. What we do instead, is track it to the machine and login. If that person hosts too many ranked games that don't finish, their ability to host dedicated games will be disabled.

-WEAPON IMPROVEMENTS: .50 CAL

* Aiming assist has been added to both the .50 call turret *and* the turret on the back of the 4x4. Our internal testing showed a huge difference in players being able to defend against incoming ground troops *and* provided some really fun drive-by opportunities when player roll-out with their friends.

* Fixed Armor rating and Hit-points on the turret geometry. Once we made the changes to the aiming, and our testers starting using the 50cal turrets more, we noticed that the turrets themselves seemed too tough. So now, players that mount 50cals will have access to strong firepower but are more susceptible to grenades and rockets.

We have noticed that holding bases that are equipped with these heavy machineguns is a lot more fun -- now that player can actually get kills with those weapons.

-WEAPON BALANCE: Assault Rifle/"Halo'd" Pistol

* The damage of the Pistol has been reduced. In the BETA each pistol round did far more damage than the rifle rounds. This coupled with the other attributes of the Pistol caused it to be a dominant weapon -- even when Rifles *should* have been the preferred weapon. Each pistol round still does more damage than a Rifle round, but the Rifle’s ROF is so high that it makes up for it.

* MAX Pistol RoF is now 8/sec and the Rifle RoF is 15/sec.

* The target assist range on the pistol has been reduced. In the BETA, the aim assist had a pretty long range. This caused players to switch to pistol while we really wanted them to still be in the Rifle's "sweet-spot".

* The lifetime of the pistols projectile has been reduced. In the BETA the bullet from the pistol would last an incredibly long time, allowing players to rain pistol fire towards a target over too great of a distance.

* The accuracy spread on the pistol has been opened up, causing it to still be very effective at close range, but it's effectiveness drops off more quickly at medium range. In the BETA the accuracy delta between the Rifle and Pistol were not contrasted enough. This resulted in the Rifle not being accurate enough and the Pistol being too accurate.

* Rifle accuracy spread has been decreased (tightened). In the BETA the effective range on the Rifle was not as good as many players expected. This helps remedy the problem.

* Rifle accuracy spread while crouching has been greatly decreased. This adds more depth to the use of the rifle and further helps is combat effectiveness at longer ranges. This tight stream of bullets greatly increased the chances of head-shots while using the Rifle -- something that all of you requested.

With all of these changes, we are hoping to strike a better balance with the spectrum of range and weapon. In very close quarters, we want the Knife to the weapon of choice. The next ring out is the Pistol. We don't want the Pistol to be a weapon of last resort but rather, the preferred weapon that you use just outside of Knife range. Outside of Pistol band is the Rifle and it's range and overall effectiveness have been greatly increase. As I mentioned, the ability now to better control head-shots makes a big difference.

GAMEPLAY: Ladders

* Mounting Trigger volumes for all ladders in all levels have been adjusted. In the BETA, players had to be right up on the ladder to trigger the climb. This sucked in combat because no one has time to dink around with a tricky ladder. Now ladder are much more forgiving.

* Reverse Ladder mounting is more smooth and forgiving. In the BETA, mounting the reverse side of the ladder pretty much resulted in you getting a knife in the ass or worse. Now mounting a ladder from either side is smooth.

SOUND: Jeep Horns

* We added a horn to the 4x4 that is activated by pressing R1

* There is a different sound for Chernovan and Eucadia 4x4s

* There is a time limit tracked "under-the-hood" that prevents annoying horn abuse.

* The horn is played in full 7.1 surround *with* accurate Doppler simulation

Hey, just because it's a simple horn, doesn't mean that it shouldn't sound next-gen!

ONLINE RANKINGS: Functionality Changes

* Ranks and Rank requirements have been completely adjusted to create a better progression.

* The very difficult award requirements that showed up early in the Rank progression have been removed or redistributed. For example, there was an early rank that required the Joint Service Commendation (10 kill streak). This is a hard ribbon for many players to get -- especially as a requirement for such a low rank.

* Point requirements for the Ranks have been adjusted.

* Requirements for all Medals, Ribbons, and Badges have been adjusted.

This may seem like a small thing, but many players, myself included, really dig on collecting these. And nothing is more frustrating that trying to get an award that is simply too tough to get -- it breaks the whole collection system.

GAMEPLAY: Respawn/Camping Fixes

* Once a player has respawned, he will *not* be seen by any other player until the respawn invulnerability ceases. Currently in the BETA, all players see respawning players as ghosts as they respawn. This unfortunately allowed base-campers to line up attacks on players coming out of respawn limbo. Sadly, this actually put the players respawning at the disadvantage rather than provide them much needed protection -- Thankfully this has been resolved.

* A player will have 5 seconds of respawn invulnerability. At the end of which, he will become visible on all other player's viewports. Currently in the BETA, players have only 3 seconds of protection. This was found to not be enough time to allow players to get out of their base to assume safe positions if the opposing team was employing meat-grinder tactics.

* Players now can attack while in the respawn invulnerability, however, the respawn protection is immediately canceled upon execution of the attack. This action also makes the player visible to all other players. Currently in the BETA, respawning players are not allowed to attack. As a result, many players found it impossible to defend their base during heavy spawn-camp engagements.

* Players' respawn invulnerability is immediately canceled if they mount a vehicle or turret.

* Players *are* allowed to climb ladders during the respawn invulnerability.

* Players' respawn invulnerability is immediately canceled if they collect a pickup.

* All of the above applicable respawn rules now apply to Aircraft in Dogfight gameplay modes.

We all agree that the meat-grinder spawn-camping is pretty bad in the BETA right now and our internal testing with this new functionality shows a *massive* improvement in the defendability of bases and, a huge decrease in respawn frustration :)

NEW: Aircraft Co-Pilot

* When 2 players are in an aircraft, the co-pilot now has access to the enhanced mini-map that displays *all* blips. Eucadian and Chernovan troops, tanks, aircraft, etc. This allows 2 players to work together like a Fighter -AWACs plane.

We found that once this feature was fixed, players here in the studio would take on "eye-in-the-sky" roles -- helping call out attacks, incoming and coordinating teamwork from high above the battle.

Like I said, there are a lot of good ideas, but we're too late to add a tail gun :) This was an easy fix to a feature that gives the co-pilot something to do.

(Again, all of this will NOT be released for the beta. It will be present in the final game.)

Warhawk Beta (May 24th-July 3rd)- beta now closed!

Yes, it is time...time to fly with our fellow Gaffers and destroy anything in our path. The Warhawks await us. Let us pounce with a fury not seen since the Flying Wedge.

wowhawk2.jpg

The patch is now available. Here's what it contains:

BETA Testers:

A patch file for the Warhawk BETA will be going live Friday evening. Our primary goal was to get the game more stable along with a few other changes. Once the patch file gets posted, you will simply launch Warhawk and select "online". You will be prompted to download an update for the game. After the patch has finished, Warhawk will ask you to quit the game using the PS button and then relaunch Warhawk.

Warhawk Public BETA ver 1.13

* Improved Stability: We made several changes to core systems to help our stability problems. While some of you may still experience some crashing, this build is *much* improved.

* Fixed Server/Client Release: Gamer servers now correctly release clients if they quit the game, unexpectedly disconnect, crash, etc. No more servers filling up with "ghost" clients.

* Push-to-Talk: Now players can activate the VOIP by pressing the L3 button. Press L3 to activate a voice chat channel, release L3 to deactivate voice channel. The graphics/HUD updates that I mentioned in a post the other day are not in this patch, just the PTT functionality.

I would like to stress again that the issues that were causing our instability were due to very small bugs in *our* code, not the 1.8 firmware. It just so happened that the frequency of the bugs increased when running on 1.8.

We have also made several balance and feature changes over the past week and I'll be posting an update for all of you. Sorry I have been "incognito" over the past few days -- I've just been too busy here at the studio to post any updates :)

As always, the team and I are very appreciative of your comments and bugs! All of your participation is helping to make Warhawk a great game!

Rock on,

-dylan

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
PSN: Captive
Im in.
What time is it going to go live? Same time the PSN store gets updated?

PSN: PoisonMarket. Although, I'm kind of limited in what hours I can play; the gremlin doesn't approve of me playing games, so I'm relegated to playing in the late and wee hours.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I might be a bit spotty early on this week and next, so someone needs to take the reigns of NeoGAF and lead the clan since we only have a month.

WHO WILL LEAD US INTO VICTORY?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
PSN: gofreak

I hope this goes up early tomorrow, earlier than the usual update I mean. Probably not, but it would be handy for me :/

Remy

RemyVJA reporting for duty.

If leading requires horrible jokes about pink tacos, I nominate myself.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Oh god, I hate you all...

I'll pay $1 for each good picture you post and $5 for a good movie...

Awntawn

PSN: Awntawn

busy with papers for the next week or so... damn classes. damn semester people on summer break already. damn working class. i hate you all >;O

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I'm not nominating myself for Warhawk clan leader but I just thought I'd mention that the NeoGAF Resistance Clan Roster (for NA)probably has a good percentage of the people on it who will have received the beta invite and be interested in joining a WH clan. Might save some work since it already has a lot of GAF and PSN ids listed for people. I could expand the spreadsheet and/or give someone else access to edit it as well.

Edit: also, I'm in the beta. PSN: kaching

garrickk

I was NOT accepted last night - a few hours after many people said they got in.

However, I checked about 30 minutes ago and I was accepted.

PSN ID: Garrick

Captain N

Slaylock said:
PSNID: Slaylock

Warhawk Beta >>>>> Home Beta

Hey! I love the HOME Beta, but your right there is a lot more fun to be had with the Warhawk Beta. HOME beta usually just has a bunch of guys standing in a circle..dancing and talking.

Since my other thread got taken over into this one my PSN name is below

Captain_N

Top Bottom