• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U is criminally underrated - it's one of the best consoles ever made

"The games were good but the hardware was ass." I'm sure everyone who uttered this owned a PS1 or PS2.

The hardware for PS1 and PS2 was good when it came out, unlike the Wii-U, which was several years late to the party. PS1 and PS2 was either on par with the competition or the competition came out a year or two after, which of course result in better hardware.

Your post lacks context.

Nightbird

It has the best pro controller I've ever got to hold.

After switching to the PS4, the DS4 feels like a massive downgrade.

Other than that the WiiU had some of my favorite games, but that's it. Everything it didn't do good it did it horribly bad.

I've owned neither but you really can't compare the two situations. The PS2 was the weakest of it's generation, but that's the only thing it didn't have, it was still very forward thinking in how it could be used as a multimedia device and it was marketed well. Also it's hardware was at least comparable to the competition. The Wii U launched at a point where it was more expensive than both competitors consoles with comparable hardware. Also, though it was more powerful, it was much harder to develop for. On top of that the PS4 and Xbox One launched the next year.

Bad hardware doesn't just mean under powered.

It was worse actually because the PS2 was not only the hardest console to develop for the time but due to it's weak hardware, it really held back a lot of third party games graphically for the sake of ports. That DVD player was not enough to make up for the visual gap between a PS2 exclusive vs a GCN/Xbox game. Not to mention it was a mid-tier graveyard.

Still don't own one (it's the only console dating back to the Saturn that I didn't buy...I purchased a Switch at launch too). I did pick up all the must have exclusives over the past year or two at ultra cheap prices. But the lackluster hardware never hit my buy in price. So...now I'm just kinda hoping Nintendo ports most/all of the best games to Switch. I feel like the window for me to care about picking up the hardware is closed (unless I can find a stray fire-sale or really cheap used one).

Quint519

Neo Member
I remember having to look down and use the gamepad to complete a level in super Mario 3d world. My 55 inch screen in front of me was displaying a red screen with white text. The idea of having to use the gamepad screen over my tv to complete a level turn me off the system. I packed up the Wii u and returned it and took a loss on the game. The games were great the hardware not so good. The switch on the other hand feels flexible and if it gets a price drop and some new features with a 3ds size library it could become the greatest.

seady

Wii U was one of the worst system ever created by Nintendo.

Hardware
Extremely slow UI, ugly hardware, cheap looking controller. The premise of the system (for having a controller where you can play anywhere around with you) didn't even work. The Switch on the other hand improves on all these 10000x.

Software
Agree that for the (1st party) games it had most were good, but the quantity of games it had available was pitiful compare to a normal system. And as always the system was mostly Nintendo-driven only, but for Wii U it was even more apparent because almost no 3rd party support it at all.

AzaK

It's probably one of the worst consoles ever made. Extremely expensive, shit storage, slow loading, underpowered, fuck all games and almost no core third party support. Add in slow UI, barely a decent online and a terrible shop and I would hardly call it one of the best consoles ever made.

It had a few AMAZING games, but in the end it was a pile of steaming dog turds.

I'll add that Switch, whilst faster and portable is basically the same so far.

120v

It's a ps360 with a tablet. Had no reason to be more than $200 or thereabouts

I'm a huge, huge Nintendo fan but I could never rationalize buying one.

I agree ENTIRELY with the thread title.

I find it a shame though your OP doesn't cover most of what I consider the cool stuff about the Wii U- the Gamepad, the possibilities it opened up for gaming, Miiverse, local asymmetric multiplayer, etc.

Also, it fucking has The Wonderful 101, so yea there's that too.

And no, fuck the whole "Nintendo didn't know what they were doing w/ Wii U", nah, THEY FUCKING DID know what they were doing with it.

I loved my Wii U but I totally understand why it tanked. There was so much constant confusion about what the console actually was and it never really got over that. The games were some of Nintendo'S best though.

The Switch is continuing its legacy and refining the idea of the WiiU.

Disagree so hard with this. The Switch doesn't even come CLOSE to me as a successor to the Wii U (my FAVORITE Nintendo system tbh), the Switch to me is pretty much ENTIRELY it's own thing, pretty much removed from the Wii U ENTIRELY.

Meesh

This.

Shit name. Shit marketing. Shit third party support. Shit online. Confusing message. Mediocre hardware. Spectacular first party support.
Agreed. I love some of the games, some memorable moments... but seriously it was heralded early as the ship that wouldn't sink riding on the waves of the Wii, but in the end the WiiU was the perfect storm of everything that could go wrong with a Nintendo box. The Titanic of Nintendo hardware... the only other flop that was worse I'm sure was Virtua Boy.

Don't get me wrong gents, I've got my U plugged in and ready for any occasion. But sadly those occasions are mine alone I think. My kids play 3ds and PC and are hype for Switch. If they keep up the remasters/rereleses it'll be like WiiU never existed. Which is crazy cuz it's part of Iwatas legacy... I've got some mixed feelings about it.

digdug2k

It's probably one of the worst consoles ever made. Extremely expensive, shit storage, slow loading, underpowered, fuck all games and almost no core third party support. Add in slow UI, barely a decent online and a terrible shop and I would hardly call it one of the best consoles ever made.

It had a few AMAZING games, but in the end it was a pile of steaming dog turds.

I'll add that Switch, whilst faster and portable is basically the same so far.
To be fair, "extremely expensive", "slow loading", "slow UI", and "a terrible shop" describes every console since the PS2 generation.

Playing local multiplayer on separate screens (no need for split screen), off TV play, Great Backwards Compatibility, free online, touch menus for selecting games/options/and typing, after the initially slow launch OS it was upgraded to be reasonably fast.. this system was good and had some good features, I really don't get why people keep reinforcing their bias against this system

Almost everyone loved the games, particularly Nintendo supported/developed ones, yet most on GAF still shite on it, isn't playing great games the point of any game system?

So weird

One of the things that gets me down about the Wii U being kind of a flop is that Nintendo may feel inclined to never revisit the gameplay style of Super Mario 3D World.

Don't get me wrong, Odyssey being poised to be a return to 64/Sunshine/Galaxy-style sandboxy exploratory single-player Mario gameplay is really exciting to me, but SM3DW was probably the most fun I've ever had with a multiplayer mainline Mario game (the levels don't feel as cramped as the New Super Mario Bros. ones!), and in my heart of hearts, I feel like it's a solid contender for the best Mario game I've ever played. The different characters that actually play differently! The attention to detail! The time limit encouraging replay value and introducing the tension of time to 3D Mario! And THE SET PIECES. Ice skating and having a snowball fight! And the Cat Suit is REALLY, REALLY FUN.

First Party Support was lacking on the WiiU. Nintendos efforts were much less ambitious than their other consoles. Also, no Metroid and its the first Nintendo console without a exclusive
Zelda game

Behlel

It was worse actually because the PS2 was not only the hardest console to develop for the time but due to it's weak hardware, it really held back a lot of third party games graphically for the sake of ports. That DVD player was not enough to make up for the visual gap between a PS2 exclusive vs a GCN/Xbox game. Not to mention it was a mid-tier graveyard.

What a shame that a console that was out 1.5 years before the GC and the first xbox was weaker than both, arrogant Sony shame on you /s

PKrockin

On the other hand, the PS2 had multiplatform games.

eXistor

If not for the anemic library, I'd agree. It's a damn shame more games weren't released becasue it was on track to becoming one of the greatest consoles in terms of games, but then it just kinda ended with a whimper after a couple a years.

Incredibly underrated console that I still play regularly. If not every great game is just gonna get ported (unlikely at this stage) people will look back at it in some years to come and see it for what it was. People give the WiiU a hard time for its gamepad, but found it to be a perfectly fine way to play, it just looked clunky.

/edit: oh this is an old thread. I probably said something similar earlier then.

Cepheus

It really wasn't. I can't go back to the Wii U now I have a Switch. The gamepad was too chunky, the load times were awful, and there were lots of franchises missing. No Metroid, no exclusive Zelda, no Animal Crossing, no Warioware,
no proper 3D Mario
. Sure, I like Game and Wario but that didn't stop me from selling almost all my Wii U games earlier this year. The Switch is a godsend and a true return to form for Nintendo. It fixed all the problems the Wii U had and I now have more games on the Switch than I ever bought during the Wii U's life cycle.

It really wasn't. I can't go back to the Wii U now I have a Switch. The gamepad was too chunky, the load times were awful, and there were lots of franchises missing. No Metroid, no exclusive Zelda, no Animal Crossing, no Warioware,
no proper 3D Mario
. Sure, I like Game and Wario but that didn't stop me from selling almost all my Wii U games earlier this year. The Switch is a godsend and a true return to form for Nintendo. It fixed all the problems the Wii U had and I now have more games on the Switch than I ever bought during the Wii U's life cycle.

Agreed. Switch is already much, much better than Wii U. Both in terms of hardware and software

Tadpole

Lots of high quality 1st party stuff with some 3rd party gems. But the hardware is mediocre. Each time I play my switch I wish the gamepad was more like it. Imagine wwhd on the switch, or dktf.

Rodolink

I totally agree, I've never had so much fun playing multiplayer games since the N64. I had many controllers for the Wii and making WiiU compatible with those was great, 8 player Smash come on. and the 1st party games are perfect, with an incredible level of quality. Sadly the gamepad is so huge and heavy and lacked proper portability (10ft away from the system) and it was poorly marketed that was its coffin.

I bought it on 2013 and only found 5 games i wanted to play , one of which was a port of a cube game and the other was ported to switch, so I can't agree with the OP

1 good jrpg. 3 good action games. 1 good hunting game. 1 good fighting game. 1 good racing game. 1 good 2d platformer. 1 good 3d platformer.

A 350 dollar console that came out in 2013.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
It's the system that had Bayonetta 2 on it. That's all that mattered to me.

Macka

I find it a shame though your OP doesn't cover most of what I consider the cool stuff about the Wii U- the Gamepad, the possibilities it opened up for gaming
Which games actually use the gamepad as more than a glorified map screen? ZombiU comes to mind as being the game with the best implementation, and that wasn't even a Nintendo game. I mean there's Mario Maker, but it's really just a touch based map editor. 3DS games had done that before. Hardly pushing boundaries there.

It had the potential to open up possibilities, but it was never realized.

I like it but I can't get past some of the stupid decisions they made. When playing local multiplayer Mario Kart, why is the gamepad screen still split? It's fucking stupid.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
It seems like the Gamecube 2. Shunned by the mainstream gaming public in its day. It will have a lot of nostalgic core gamer fanboys fawning over its memory forever. And the games will command a high price.

Septimius

I agree ENTIRELY with the thread title.

I find it a shame though your OP doesn't cover most of what I consider the cool stuff about the Wii U- the Gamepad, the possibilities it opened up for gaming, Miiverse, local asymmetric multiplayer, etc.

Also, it fucking has The Wonderful 101, so yea there's that too.

And no, fuck the whole "Nintendo didn't know what they were doing w/ Wii U", nah, THEY FUCKING DID know what they were doing with it.

Do you have any idea how the Wii U fared for Nintendo, financially? We damn near lost them as a console maker because the Wii U was such a flop. I really enjoy the Wii U, but it's unfounded to call it the best console ever based on its library. It has some gems, but they're far apart. Cherry picking a handful of games isn't what makes a good console. I'd argue that "the best console ever" is about things like impact on gaming, design, comparative power of the console, lasting appeal, etc. A great console is one that defines the future and in other ways moved gaming forward. The gamepad turned out to be a cool addition to some games, but it's certainly not a killer "can't go back now"-feature.

It seems like the Gamecube 2. Shunned by the mainstream gaming public in its day. It will have a lot of nostalgic core gamer fanboys fawning over its memory forever. And the games will command a high price.

Ehh, no. It's not comparable to the Gamecube. Gamecube had a much better games lineup. Metroid Prime and F-Zero GX alone destroy everything the Wii U has to offer. It has two Zelda game, one is a exclusive. It has a Luigis Mansion game, and decent third party support. It had good hardware back in the day and good marketing. Comparing Wii U to GC is simply not possible.

ryseing

Fucking what. Isn't the PS2 the acknowledged swan song of the mid tier?

Top Bottom