• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U is criminally underrated - it's one of the best consoles ever made

It was worse actually because the PS2 was not only the hardest console to develop for the time but due to it's weak hardware, it really held back a lot of third party games graphically for the sake of ports. That DVD player was not enough to make up for the visual gap between a PS2 exclusive vs a GCN/Xbox game. Not to mention it was a mid-tier graveyard.

Late on my response but the PS2 wasn't a mid-tier graveyard, I never even owned one but I remember walking into a store as a kid and seeing the volume of games that were on it. It had a vast library from all budget categories. Also it came out over a year before it's competition but was still comparable graphically to the Xbox and GameCube. Also the multimedia capabilities mattered in one major area, sales.

Most of those aren't things that could only be accomplished by the gamepad though. Or necessary to the gameplay, as seen in Splatoon 2. They're just conveniences. The original argument was that the gamepad was somehow opening up possibilities for gaming, which...I agree was possible with that controller, as shown by games like NintendoLand and ZombiU which offered experiences you couldn't get on any other system. Largely though, I don't think it was a success. The vast majority of games did not control in ways that made use of the gamepad, they just offered handy conveniences.
If we go the reductionist way as you are doing here, we could say that the Thumbstick introduced as a standard with the N64 is a convenience and not necessary for gameplay. You could play FPS games or navigate the character in a 3D space with a digital directional keys if the game is build up around that.

The point is an improved form of interaction was offered for certain applications. The pin point control of the touch screen did increase precision in Splatoon to make some difference at high level play. Not a "most have" integral feature but so isn't a mouse for FPS games when most people play this things with Thumbsticks.

Seriously? Blowing on the controller is considered an achievement in game design? Not only were things like that already done years prior on the DS, but...it's not good.
Indeed, 3D World is not a good example. Nintendo could have done a more clever use. However, there's the "Boost Block" mode in NSMBU as an example, it did a very creative use of the touch interface.

I've already conceded that Nintendo Land is a good example. It was a launch game designed to showcase how the controller could be used to offer unique gameplay experiences though. I don't think any other games had local asymmetric multiplayer.

Not going to give it points for touch controls when the DS had been doing that years before.
Not going to give it points for an accurate trackpad. We're talking about how the system 'pushed boundaries' here.
Doesn't get points for conveniences. Again, we're talking about how the controls 'opening up possibilities for gaming'. Off TV play is a neat feature, but it wasn't doing that.
So the argument here is: "There aren't any games that use the Gamepad outside of the games that do make good use of the Gamepad." That's non sensical. i provided a list of games that used the Gamepad but for some reason you chose to ignore as you didn't quoted it. And yes, in the list there are good examples of Assymetrical Local Gameplay. If you wish to discuss them let me know.

You should give points for the trackpad emulation because it does indeed open up control posibilities for the games that use the extra precision. The TV could be mapped 1:1 to the trackpad. Hell, look what Valve did with their clever trackpad implementation in the Steam controller, it's the reason why is so good to bring PC games to the couch.

Like i said, i think the problem with Wii U is mostly about the execution. Think about a more compact and slick control pad with a screen and it has potential.

DISCLAIMER: WII U is at the bottom of the barrel trading blows with the GC as a prefered Nintendo console from my perspective. im just pointing out uses of it's interface and games.

Oh lol, I forgot it came out in 2012! It's even worse, it was basically a full 4.5 years before Switch came out and what an pitiful selection of games in that time. It's crazy that people will make these lists of like 15 or so games that they loved, but that was FOUR AND A HALF YEARS.

Honestly, it's one of the worst consoles ever.

Oh lol, I forgot it came out in 2012! It's even worse, it was basically a full 4.5 years before Switch came out and what an pitiful selection of games in that time. It's crazy that people will make these lists of like 15 or so games that they loved, but that was FOUR AND A HALF YEARS.

Honestly, it's one of the worst consoles ever.

It's also the same kind of games every Nintendo console has.

It had a solid library of Nintendo developed exclusives which is getting less interesting every day as improved versions of those games show up on Switch. It was criminally rated accurately.

seady

The Wii U had its fair share of 1st party quality games, but so were every other Nintendo systems out there (maybe except Virtual Boy). So I don't think the Wii U excel in that area than any other Nintendo systems. But in terms of quantity of games available, it was horrible.

-shadow-

It had a solid library of Nintendo developed exclusives which is getting less interesting every day as improved versions of those games show up on Switch. It was criminally rated accurately.
I'm very grateful for the fact that Splatoon and Bayonetta 2 happened, but yeah the WiiU didn't really do much special outside of a handful of gems.

Amazing software and clever use of a social network held back by a controller no one had any idea what to do with. Such a bizarre system.

the Wii U has the best library of any Nintendo system since the SNES and I don't think it's debatable

I think it juuuuuuust misses it but it definitely has the most consistent quality of games since that era.

Calamari41

41 > 38
The Wii U ended up with an amazing library, and it certainly is one of my favorite systems, but the release schedule was crippling and tortuous.

Nine months from launch for the first notable release (Pikmin 3), and a full year from launch for the first actual commercially major release (3D World)

JThird

Amazing software and clever use of a social network held back by a controller no one had any idea what to do with. Such a bizarre system.
Wii U pad is a regular gaming controller with enhanced abilities to control thanks to second screen, touch and gyro. Everyone who says otherwise is plain stupid or acting like that.

It's not a bizarre system, more like it's bizarre players.

Regiruler

Take this for what you will: my number 1 feature request for Splatoon 2 is being able to use the Wii U gamepad. The X map is simply crippling, and so much harder to track yourself with.

There are plenty of normal ass games for those that want them as well, but the system is defined by what the switch lost. Thankfully the joycons being so unique allows for some unique experiences of its own, so its not a net loss, but I'd love a Star Fox Guard sequel, for example.

The Wii U ended up with an amazing library, and it certainly is one of my favorite systems, but the release schedule was crippling and tortuous.

Nine months from launch for the first notable release (Pikmin 3), and a full year from launch for the first actual commercially major release (3D World)

Didn't Nintendo say they learned their lesson about droughts before the Wii U came out? Atleast the finally seem to have realized how to provide a steady stream of software with the switch.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The Wii benefited from being as large a success as Nintendo's portable systems, and so Nintendo felt safe investing in developing a lot of games for it. Plus it is true their quality was remarkably consistent, solving a problem the Gamecube and N64 suffered from.

For all the Wii U is a weird-ass console graced by some extremely good games, at this point I can't help but see it as a Wii Deluxe or Pachter's fabled Wii HD. Got my entire Wii library and all accessories folded into it. In that sense, it represents a strange swan song for the Wii era to me rather than a failed console of its own.

Taken as a whole, Nintendo's Wii age, from 2006 - 2016, resulted in a fairly vast catalog of software. When I flip through our large binder of Wii and Wii U discs, it is a reminder of just how many good games are there.

Didn't Nintendo say they learned their lesson about droughts before the Wii U came out? Atleast the finally seem to have realized how to provide a steady stream of software with the switch.

Since the Gameboy took off, Nintendo has been pulled in two directions trying to support twin streams of development. I think it's pretty clear that it hurt them more and more as the years went on.

If they really do consolidate all their resources into a single piece of hardware - even if a "Switch Mini" is released later - there should be no excuse for droughts ever again.

openrob

The gamepad is a brilliant piece of equipment poorly marketed. The Wii U is a great Console.

A bit of extra power, some smart partnerships and better marketing would have seen this be a success.

Crayon

The only Nintendo console I ever skipped. It was a big "lol no". Seeing the switch revealed was quite a relief.

Calamari41

41 > 38

Yeah they made a big deal of it back then, but thankfully it seems that they actually have this time around. I don't even have enough time to play all of the game I want to on Switch, and we're only just past the Wii U releases of Lego City/Monster Hunter 3U on the comparative timeline.

opoth

Banned
So many people ITT with the GOAT Nintendo console collecting dust in their closet - I can hear the Wii Us crying out to their neglectful owners from the darkness - "why didn't you use me to full potential?"

Wii U pad is a regular gaming controller with enhanced abilities to control thanks to second screen, touch and gyro. Everyone who says otherwise is plain stupid or acting like that.

It's not a bizarre system, more like it's bizarre players.

And yet post-Nintendo Land, Nintendo couldn't think of any substantial ideas for it until two and a half years after launch. I also can't think of any notable third-party usage of it.

I love the system and still play it regularly, but the GamePad concept was just too nebulous for anyone to really work with; at best, it felt like a complement to the games you were playing via maps and inventory screens as opposed to, say, Wii's motion controls. Whoever said it was a half-realized of Switch was right on the money.

VDenter

Banned
the Wii U has the best library of any Nintendo system since the SNES and I don't think it's debatable

Not even close. Every previous Nintendo system had a far better and more exciting library. Comparing the best Nintendo system to the absolute worst one is complete nonsense.

Yeah they made a big deal of it back then, but thankfully it seems that they actually have this time around. I don't even have enough time to play all of the game I want to on Switch, and we're only just past the Wii U releases of Lego City/Monster Hunter 3U on the comparative timeline.

Having experience in HD development has helped I think, that and enhanced ports that never got the time to shine on Wii U. Honestly I'm excited to see what next year will bring to the console.

Until 2016 it was the only 8th generation console I owned and I had a great time playing 3D World, Pikmin 3, Smash, Mario Kart 8, Mario Maker, Splatoon and Tropical Freeze. So I certainly got a lot out of it.

But, yeah. Objectively speaking, it was a bad console right to the core. There just wasn't anything appealing about its gimmick to the masses, so it became a console only for the hardcore Nintendo diehards who buy Ninty products regardless.

If there's anything that both the Wii U and Switch have taught me, it's that it isn't simply just about the games. You need the hardware itself to be appealing to consumers as well. The Switch may not be a powerful beast of a console, but it has an interesting and appealing gimmick that's easy to understand.

Mark1

This console is why I'm happy to have some ports released on Switch, so they can finally live up to their true potential. Nintendo really fucked up with it.

The Wii U had so many great and unique games, waiting for hidden gems like Bayonetta 2 to be made for Switch again
believe

ITT Gaf tries it's best to hate on the Wii U. I think it's pretty obvious that popular reception plays a heavy role on a lot of gaffers perception. If you sat down with the console with it's full library of games, also understanding that it has a damn Wii built into the system, you realize it's a GOAT console. It even plays gamecube games. A lot of you are judging the execution, the reputation etc. etc. but none of that matters in 2017. What you have with Wii U is what you get now, and it is an amazingly fun system. IMHO

ITT Gaf tries it's best to hate on the Wii U. I think it's pretty obvious that popular reception plays a heavy role on a lot of gaffers perception. If you sat down with the console with it's full library of games, also understanding that it has a damn Wii built into the system, you realize it's a GOAT console. It even plays gamecube games. A lot of you are judging the execution, the reputation etc. etc. but none of that matters in 2017. What you have with Wii U is what you get now, and it is an amazingly fun system. IMHO

Like I said, I had a lot of fun with the system. I liked it. I definitely don't regret owning it.

But objectively, it was a complete and utter mistake, and a bad idea that should of never materialized. The sales speak for themselves.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
As a console, the WiiU was quite lackluster. UI was slow, and the VC selection was a large downgrade from Wii. Its only saving grace to me was the few gems of software that were great.

Like I said, I had a lot of fun with the system. I liked it. I definitely don't regret owning it.

But objectively speaking, it was a complete and utter mistake, and a bad idea that should of never materialized. The sales speak for itself.

I don't even know what objectively speaking means in this sense. You liked it, you had fun, it sucked. Spare me. It was not a market success and everyone knows that. But your post basically reinforces the underrated aspect.

My point is you guys are dogpiling a good console that never knew how to market itself. If you are factoring in market success, which is a property that is found in console fanboyism, then the Wii U sucked. But without all that superficial value attached to the experience itself, the Wii U provides a great experience. This is why I think the Wii U is the next Dreamcast. Because people love to hate it for failing, when it really provided a lot of great unique experiences, a ton of great games. And a lot that utilized the vision of the system pretty well

Usobuko

Banned
Game wise, the Wii U is better than the 3ds for me. The highs are highers but the quantity of games that appeal to me is much smaller.

I actually just sold mine and find that I kind of agree. I was much more interested in the wonderful 10-, pikmin 3, etc than most games on my ps4.

I have one, I bought one at launch, it's really not the GOAT system, it's okay and it has some fun games, but Nintendo made some huge mistakes with the console. Critique isn't automatically hate. I can like something and understand it's flaws. My Wii U gave me hours, days or even weeks of fun but it's also easily the weakest system I've ever owned.

Meffer

I hated the gamepad. Hated it's toy-like look, didn't like its ergonomics all that much, hated how tethered it was to the system and hated the gloss. I hate glossy finishes.

I have one, I bought one at launch, it's really not the GOAT system, it's okay and it has some fun games, but Nintendo made some huge mistakes with the console. Critique isn't automatically hate. I can like something and understand it's flaws. My Wii U gave me hours, days or even weeks of fun but it's also easily the weakest system I've ever owned.

Again you say you had fun (you don't go into detail), you imply weaknesses in marketing and sales (no detail here either but we all know about it's commercial failure), then call it weak (absolutely no detail here, why was it so weak?). This is why people call it underrated. It is a great console that wasn't well-received

I hated the gamepad. Hated it's toy-like look, didn't like its ergonomics all that much, hated how tethered it was to the system and hated the gloss. I hate glossy finishes.

I get you. The system was game-pad centric and was quasi-mobile. A little confusing as to what the gamepad's goal was at times. (Am I having a mobile experience or a console one?) The games turned out great but a lot of them resorted to just mirroring the experience on the gamepad or just using it for maps and such. The idea was never 'realized' and stayed as a novelty somewhat. For me, I appreciated the two different windows into the game-world, however simplistic it was

Swig_

I bought a used WiiU to play BotW and a few other games.. kind of regretting it. Mario Kart 8 is okay, but feels like it's missing some stuff. I've been looking and can barely find any games I actually want.

I may want to beat BoTW and sell it. I even bought two Pro controllers for it and now they collect dust most of the time.

Macka

I've been very critical, but I still love the system and its games. Off-TV play was fantastic.

Had some great first party titles but it was really missing a new zelda(came too late) a actual 'new' 2d mario or a proper 3d mario title.
The So called 'new' 2d mario was painfully similar to the previous games with a boring artstyle and very little actual new or inspired content. Mario 3dworld was ok but coming after both galaxy titles it was not what most people wanted, whilst great for multiplayer the levels were painfully dull in single player due to the time limit and wide levels made for multiple characters.
Zelda being delayed so often just made things worse, the day nintendo smarts up and start starts to re-use zelda engines and assets like majors mask will be a joyous day for everyone.
They should have taken the skyward sword engine and assets and made a quick sequel instead, skyward sword looks great in hd so it would have looked fine.
They could have done this whilst another team was working on breath of the wild.

B_Signal

I liked the WiiU, I don't regret buying one, but it's really not deserving of the thread title. It had a few quirky, fun, interesting games but it always felt like it never got going. People will point to Mario Kart and the most recent Zelda, fine if you like them, I'm not going to play them down. Splatoon was good, Mario was good, not as good as the Galaxy games though, and Bayonetta 2 was good.

There's other games I liked, but nothing classic. I'd argue that, bar the original Xbox, every console going back to the Dreamcast has a better library of games, and that's without getting to the flaws with the console itself

Top Bottom