• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought we knew KF had multiplayer since there's four characters in the promo art? Or, at least, assumed it? Still, nice to have confirmation.

(Also, if that ACIII footage is 'pre-alpha', I hate to think what this is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p99ghcy450E)

It was assumed, yes, but never confirmed.

It was already confirmed to have online during the E3 2011 Developer Roundtable.

Not really. They said they would have four characters, and multiplayer. They never mentioned online.

RedSwirl

Anybody think the eShop on the Wii U will have voice-activated search? Every controller will have a mic on it after all. It'd just be kinda cool for the casuals to hook up the system, speak "Mario" into the search engine, have the new games and all the VC stuff pop up, and suddenly realize they can buy all the classic Mario games on the Wii U.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
AGITΩ;37761221 said:
Not entirely, catch my attention when High Voltage announces that they are still working on the Grinder and are making it for the Wii U now.

I don't really understand why anyone would be interested in anything associated with High Voltage.

HylianTom

Banned
There has been an instance of me wanting this every night the past few weeks as my partner wanted to watch something on TV. I know some people use that time to mess on their iPad or handheld but having a console being able to do that will be a great feature.
Same here. I have put two TVs in the same room so that I could watch TV while playing games (grinding in an RPG, for example). This is going to be downright dreamy.

And if I can play while lounging out on the back porch... holy moly..

Hiltz

Anybody think the eShop on the Wii U will have voice-activated search? Every controller will have a mic on it after all. It'd just be kinda cool for the casuals to hook up the system, speak "Mario" into the search engine, have the new games and all the VC stuff pop up, and suddenly realize they can buy all the classic Mario games on the Wii U.

That would be cool, but I doubt Nintendo would include such bells and whistles.

boiled goose

good with gravy
"What the fuck is this purple, barney the dinosaur lunchbox? And why does it have a fisher price controller and little shit discs? And you can't even play GTA or Halo on this kiddy crap."

The kiddie image definitely started with the Gamecube. It's going to be tough to shed that image with Wii U, considering how similar it looks to Wii, the ultimate "kiddie" console.

meh the kiddie thing started quite a while ago and I think Wii actually got over the kiddy image in exchange for the 'lol casual' label.
soccer moms, grandparents, families, females, etc. are still not the target audience for GTA or COD in general :p

I don't think you will hear anyone call Just Dance or Wii fit kiddy.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Oh hey, looky here.

This comes from a GlobalTestMarket survey, apparently. (It leaked Goldeneye in 2010).

ibnBiIA9rFjY2s.jpg

i2JCPYBB6P4Ok.jpg

iGriv6tP6fejt.jpg

itNGQFXt1ucLK.jpg

ifJkuDnQGGfZR.jpg

iBeAZX1Wert90.PNG

I don't like how everything is compressed. Makes it look fake.

If they are to change (which i don't want them to) then one of two things would happen.

1) We would end up with a Halo type of situation for first party games, for instance by the end of 2012, 6 Halo games will have been released for the 360, in ONE generation.

2) They hire a lot more staff to make all of these sequels or other first party IP's and the quality of their games drops by a large margin.

My past few posts sound like im down on Wii U, i can assure you i am not in the slightest and i can't wait not only for E3 but for the consoles launch.

I am more putting forward the point that Nintendo should not bank on getting core gamers to buy Wii U just because Arkham City, Assassin's Creed 3 and Darksiders 2 will be available for it.

If they were serious then the Wii U would be twice as powerful as it will turn out to be, have classic core controls with gimmick controls as an option and at least one major third party IP should have been bought as an exclusive.

For me i will be happy with first party Wii U games looking like the Zelda tech demo, i just feel sorry for people that will only have Wii U for the whole of next gen as they will at first get poor versions of third party games and then none at all, just like Wii.

I hope im wrong.

Apophis, What nintendo is trying to really do is create their own version of the Core gamer that has not been borne from the PS1, PS2 or PS3 generations. Each of those generations had a different take on what the core gamer came to be with this generation being split into motion controls and the HD shooter demographic. Even nintendo of this generation has created its own version of the core gamer which I believe has not been properly catered for and are maybe looking into other avenues right now (mostly female in population children and also the old nintendo faithful), but as long as nintendo continues to grow this new core audience they will also stay for WiiU. It was enough to get them to 100 million but it has taken 6 years instead of the 5 years that it should have taken due to the downturn in sales when kinect came out in 2010.

This new core population is not what I am talking about in the previous paragraph however, the new core demographic is something nintendo has to build from the ground up and are new players that would normally have become part of the "dudebro" generation "waggle" generation but are yet to drop in. These guys are young, in their teens and they like touch screens and don't mind the DS stylus and this is where the new core demographic is going to come from. It will be a combination of male and female who are also very well versed in social media and use it day to to day like it was their bread and butter. However they are not a core audience yet. They are a core audience in the making. These will be the new vocal "core" audience It might be a continuation from last generation or an amalgamation of the two big things that came out last generation.

It is highly possible that an fusion of Motion Controls/Touch controls/traditional analogue controls combined HD Massively Online Social Shooters become the premier style of game the new core demographic will create for itself. I am not saying all of those will become part of the new core but it will be something along those lines. This is what Nintendo means in trying to create a new Wii Sports. There is this new core demographic just waiting to explode and has been exposed since 2004-2012 to the DS, Wii, iOS, Android Kinect, WoW,CoD and Facebook and Angry Birds. The New Wii Sports type phenomenon will be born along the lines of the comforts of these current phenomenons but with a novelty that ties them together. It is highly possible that it will use technology or a that has been used before by these social phenomenons but in a way that differentiates itself from these phenoms. We don't know what this game is or whether it is coming from the Nintendo Sony or Microsoft or even another platform altogether but it will be born out of some kind of convergence of previous technology and or software.

This is in my view why the WiiU subscreen controller can differentiate itself from the XBOX360's iPads 3DS's Wiis and Kinects out there even though it shares many traits from each of the things mentioned. By combining all of the key functions Nintendo or even another developer might find the ligthning in the bottle software that will create this Wii Sports/Wii Fit phenomenon withoiut having much to do with the genre.

Penguin

No one cares that Killer Freaks will have online?
D:

I want to see more of the game before I comment.

I mean if they kind of have that... I guess God vs human multi they showed. Where one team can spawn enemies while the other tries to survive. Would be something fun and diff.

If just deathmatch

HylianTom

Banned
meh the kiddie thing started quite a while ago and I think Wii actually got over the kiddy image in exchange for the 'lol casual' label.
soccer moms, grandparents, families, females, etc. are still not the target audience for GTA or COD in general :p

I don't think you will hear anyone call Just Dance or Wii fit kiddy.
I'm of the mind that the preferred epithet to be used against Nintendo will change every other generation or so. Someone (I think Terrell) predicted that we could see the term "Japanese" (or was it "Eastern"?) used as an epithet this time around. Sounds about right.

This whole console and this "only one controller" business reminds me of this:
radioshack_hh_electronic_tv_scoreboard.jpg

250px-Wiimote.png

You see this? You give this to your friend, you say "Fuck you, this is all you get."

WiiU_04.jpg

Look at me! I got all this shit here, I'm in control motherfucker!

AVGN quote sums up this issue nicely.

Anth0ny

Oh hey, looky here.

This comes from a GlobalTestMarket survey, apparently. (It leaked Goldeneye in 2010).

Quick, everyone vote not at all likely so they can drop the price

Penguin

Oh hey, looky here.

ibnBiIA9rFjY2s.jpg

i2JCPYBB6P4Ok.jpg

iGriv6tP6fejt.jpg

itNGQFXt1ucLK.jpg

ifJkuDnQGGfZR.jpg

iBeAZX1Wert90.PNG

I am intrigued.. most of these.. were kind of shown in the trailer.. Golf and stars...

But shows a racing game.. never thought of using it.. to get info while watching live TV/MLB channel...

But also seems to show two WiiU pads in use at once..

Curious

I mean if they kind of have that... I guess God vs human multi they showed. Where one team can spawn enemies while the other tries to survive. Would be something fun and diff.

If just deathmatch

Well, according to the clip that Davie posted, it'll have 4 player coop and the 4 player versus game master mode.

The second guy looks more like he's holding a Wiimote to me.

Yup. Look how he's holding it.

Also, they sure are optimistic about DKR on Netflix....

If just deathmatch

Honestly, the game is interesting for me because:

1. No war setting

2. Campiness and it doesn't seem to take itself very seriously

3. Get good vibes from this team for some reason

It'll be a almost-sure-get if it controls well(hope for Remote options)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The kiddy thing really started to pick up steam during the N64 generation. Sony had entered the field and became the market leader. That generation also saw the introduction of 3D 'movie like' game experiences, something that was more prevalent on Sony's system than Nintendo's, highlighted by Sony's marketing of the PlaySation as a system that would deliver these kinds of experiences in familiar mediums (eg: compact disks) versus Nintendo's carts. Obviously these kinds of games were found on both systems, but Sony was edging out Nintendo quite significantly.

The following generation was the peak. Sony had the market by the balls, and lauched earlier than both Microsoft and Nintendo. They had the games, they had the blockbusters, and they had the 'entertainment system' that everybody wanted: a system that played movies and offered movie-like games too. Microsoft launched a Western targeted system with one of the best launch games ever conceived (Halo was marketing genius). Nintendo launched a purple lunchbox that never took off. I love the GCN, but it was a dud marketing move on every front and Nintendo's biggest failure of any generation.

It also started a whole bunch of "third parties hate Nintendo" conspiracy theory bullshit from Nintendo fanboys who couldn't fathom that their system, awesome as it may be, was a distant market third where most ports were selling like shit. Reality is bad sales in a bad market that Nintendo was sucking in just further convinced third parties money was not to be made on Nintendo systems. And at the time they were right.

Wii is it's own weird blip in history, where many of its failures can be ironically attributed to its successes. It exists within its own obscure bubble, in a strange generation that played out like nobody predicted.

The Wii U can shake the trend of 'kiddy', but Nintendo will never shake the 'family friendly' image. Not necessarily because they cant, because the wont. And that's something folk need to keep in mind. Nintendo's 'all ages' marketing and image defines them. It has forever, and forever will. That is Nintendo.

Oh hey, looky here.

[imagesnshit]

…huh. The non-gaming application is interesting. Baseball stats while watching baseball? Netflix info while watching a movie on Netflix?

Not entirely my cup of pork, but I can see the potential appeal.

DavieC726

I also don't see KF becoming another Red Steel other than it being a launch title. Dual analog and touch screen have been tested control inputs for a long time now. Developers have also gotten acclimated to accelerometer and gyro control since the launch of the Wii. This also seems to have had more development time than RS.

So if I understand that next to last picture correctly, you can pull up stats for a game/player while watching that game? That's pretty neat.

I also don't see KF becoming another Red Steel other than it being a launch title. Dual analog and touch screen have been tested control inputs for a long time now. Developers have also gotten acclimated to accelerometer and gyro control since the launch of the Wii. This also seems to have had more development time than RS.

Yeah, I agree with all that.

It'd surprise me if it was shit.

Anustart

…huh. The non-gaming application is interesting. Baseball stats while watching baseball? Netflix info while watching a movie on Netflix?

Not entirely my cup of pork, but I can see the potential appeal.

Seeing that image instantly conjured up an idea I would love : web browsing while watching movies. Every time I watch something it turns into an imdb scavenger hunt of me looking up an actor then it just gets out of control and I end up on imdb for the duration of the film.

jaypah

I am intrigued.. most of these.. were kind of shown in the trailer.. Golf and stars...

But shows a racing game.. never thought of using it.. to get info while watching live TV/MLB channel...

But also seems to show two WiiU pads in use at once..

Curious

I think that other guy is holding a regular Wii remote and that baseball game seems to be a video game. Notice the finger position on the controller, I think he's supposed to be playing a baseball game. Still pretty cool though and should leave the screen clear of those types of stats making for a cleaner look.

Penguin

The Wii U can shake the trend of 'kiddy', but Nintendo will never shake the 'family friendly' image. Not necessarily because they cant, because the wont. And that's something folk need to keep in mind. Nintendo's 'all ages' marketing and image defines them. It has forever, and forever will. That is Nintendo.

I've never wanted them to change that image.
And always find it odd when people do.
They are the only ones who actively seek that market so why give it up to go after a much more crowded market.. or go after it exclusively.

They should continue being them, and find ways to fill in their own weaknesses.

Casual oriented marketing confirmed.

Think about it - the 'hardcore/traditional gamer' can use the pad to the game master while gandma has simpler controls (ChaseMii, for example).

OR

Like in the Rayman trailer, four people play the game, while the 'casual' does basic things like move platforms or places enemies.

OR

Games like Pictionary, where everyone gets a turn on the controller.

Linkhero1

I hate to be that guy but can someone summarize the news we had in the past 12 hours?

I'm pretty busy the moment so it's hard to keep up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom