• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

EDarkness

the fact that Nintendo is keeping these big secrets just to give me may 50% more power over PS360 is something I should be pissed about seriously

all of the secrecy deserves a better payoff than that, I know 50% more is not the exact range but when people say 2-3X more than 360 it feels like a minor step to all

so much NDAs for just that little bit :|

Did we learn something new about the system, because after reading this I'm confused.

Anth0ny

Why are people so convinced Retro is working on Zelda? They aren't! Aonuma already said he's working on it again. At most some of Retro might be helping but they aren't creating a Zelda game themselves and it wouldn't even make sense for one to come out this early

Did he?

I still believe! ; _ ;

Someone earlier this thread predicted that Retro was working on Star Wars. I think that's an astute guess. Universally people wished for at light saber game built around the wiimote, so something "everyone wants us to do" would fit that description.

O:

I did not believe there could be anything worst Retro could waste time and resources on than to be working on Star Fox

but THIS

THIS is insane, Star Wars is a dead thing...

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
My dream game from Retro would be Inception: The Videogame. So much potential.

Did we learn something new about the system, because after reading this I'm confused.

no one in these threads in the know what been willing to accept 5x more than 360
it has been talked to death though, no one really knows but everyone here expects this thing to be weakest among the next consoles because it is not a "true leap" forward

meh... this is why I wish we knew even less so at least I would feel some hope of Nintendo pushing this thing

Nibel

Even Miyamoto said once that he wants to be involved with the next Zelda - it's the first HD Zelda and will not be handed to Retro.

japtor

Aren't you in danger of suggesting Nintendo be artistically stifled, inert if you will? Are you denying the artistic merits of a realistic depiction of elves and those weird dog-pig things?

Nintendo should be artistically free to make whatever they want, dammit!
So long as what they want falls in line with contemporary ideas of edginess.
deSHo.jpg

I think it has more to do with nintendo not wanting to go into the death spiral of increasing develepment costs that the rest of the industry seems to be going into rather then a 'design over technology' philosophy. if the tech and dev costs were not as expensive as they are now, nintendo would surely go for the tech.
Main reason to go for tech is to ensure that it doesn't become a limiter, my hope is that whatever they go with is enough for most devs. I'm not too worried about the GPU since stuff can generally be scaled down for performance there*, but stuff like RAM or CPU might be an issue with the more complex stuff like AI and physics or something...but I'm not sure how many devs will even push that.

*I'm hoping MS/Sony require 1080p (and/or 3D) cause the requirement for that over 720p is 2.25x the pixels, almost 3x for 640p (like some 360/PS3 games ran in).
Combinng Wave Race and Endless Ocean would work for me. Maybe with a dash of Steel Diver
Endless Excite Steel Wave Race

fans have made it impossible for Nintendo not to talk about Zelda

I really don't want to hear about another Zelda anytime soon we won't see HD Zelda until 2014 if not later so teasing it now is cruel

but because of the fans they are going to be forced to give us a bullshit trailer about that the theme of the next one will be like

HylianTom

Banned
no one in these threads in the know what been willing to accept 5x more than 360
it has been talked to death though, no one really knows but everyone here expects this thing to be weakest among the next consoles because it is not a "true leap" forward

meh... this is why I wish we knew even less so at least I would feel some hope of Nintendo pushing this thing
I'm kinda glad that expectations are low (or more realistic) around here. Fewer Nintendo fans are going to be banned from meltdowns when the final verdict is rendered in about 609 hours; we've already lost too many.

I'm also very relieved that Nintendo hasn't been baited into Microsoft's very deadly e-peen measuring game. Nintendo doesn't have the luxury of essentially buying/moneyhatting their way into the industry, and thankfully, they realize this. We might be seeing how that path works out for Sony at some point in the future.
MSandSony.gif

I know one thing.. we've waited a long time for HD Nintendo games. The jump from GameCube to Wii U is going to be a real treat.

AzaK

the fact that Nintendo is keeping these big secrets just to give me may 50% more power over PS360 is something I should be pissed about seriously

all of the secrecy deserves a better payoff than that, I know 50% more is not the exact range but when people say 2-3X more than 360 it feels like a minor step to all

so much NDAs for just that little bit :|

I hear ya and agree with the sentiment. I think I said it a few weeks back but this arse tight secrecy just can't have a payoff of big enough value as far as I'm concerned. I guess some here are really looking forward to some secret Nintendo IP ressurection but for me, all games I can think of that I'd want on Wii U, I already expect to be coming (Primarily third party). If Nintendo hit us with some sort of big power boost from what we expected I might be surprised but at this point it would have to be something monumental to blow me away and I just can't think of anything monumental.

I guess by showing nothing, I am assuming they're thinking that things we consider meh are "megatons" in their book so I'm preparing for some nice and interesting things but that's it.

I'll still be up at 4am though!

Antioch

What's up with the two recent game announcements? Talking about the Avengers and that downloadable game here, why were they announced despite NDAs?

the problem is we have spoiled Nintendo into thinking everything they say to use is Megaton

they could have called Nintendo Direct "Megaton Time" as to how much we hype ourselves up for them now...

I need a coma until the 5th

HylianTom

Banned
HT night shift or insomnia?
A bit of both. I got called in about two hours ago for a stroke activation.. 35 years old, and he really was having a stroke. Scary. Too young. But we caught it early, so... good.

I've taken all of the call this month so that I'm free in June. About a week before E3, I'll start working towards getting onto a nighttime sleeping schedule.

antonz

What's up with the two recent game announcements? Talking about the Avengers and that downloadable game here, why were they announced despite NDAs?

Ubisoft is just sloppy. They tried to cover it up real quickly but by then we had already seen everything.
mIPHhl.jpg

The other I don't want to be cynical but I kinda seeming like a ploy to get support. They have announced they dont have the cash to finish the title and are doing a kickstarter. Might be trying to get future Wii U owners to chip in to make sure it happens

Peru

the problem is we have spoiled Nintendo into thinking everything they say to use is Megaton

they could have called Nintendo Direct "Megaton Time" as to how much we hype ourselves up for them now...

I need a coma until the 5th

This is silly. Their Nintendo Direct streams are deliberate means towards avoiding this hype, they announce it the day before and specifically say it's about releases in the near future. People are just dumb and hype everything up.

Antioch

what downloadable game?

the answer to the other is UBISOFT

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=473643

Ubisoft is just sloppy. They tried to cover it up real quickly but by then we had already seen everything.

The other I don't want to be cynical but I kinda seeming like a ploy to get support. They have announced they dont have the cash to finish the title and are doing a kickstarter. Might be trying to get future Wii U owners to chip in to make sure it happens

I suppose that makes sense, I was just surprised when I checked for updates today and saw that two games had been 'confirmed'.

And yeah, the Avengers one was probably unintentional, I think someone in the thread said that the official site doesn't mention Wii U at all, though I don't know that myself.

HylianTom

Banned

I have mixed feelings about this kickstarter thing. It could be an incredible way to get third parties who are leery of a Nintendo platform to reduce the risk of undertaking a project for that platform. But for those paying in, there's little guarantee that the end product will fit their wishes.

Still, I'd be willing to kick in a chunk of money for my thief/stealth/1920s/European capital cities AAA masterpiece idea. :)

I wish there were a way to vote on what game a third party works on next.

antonz

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=473643

I suppose that makes sense, I was just surprised when I checked for updates today and saw that two games had been 'confirmed'.

And yeah, the Avengers one was probably unintentional, I think someone in the thread said that the official site doesn't mention Wii U at all, though I don't know that myself.

Yeah initially it all said Wii U then they quickly changed stuff. Really the biggest implication of this is the platforms. Its being touted as a Kinect title for 360. They could of course totally redesign it for the Wii U but that doesn't seem likely so does that then imply kinect like functionality.

Antioch

Yeah initially it all said Wii U then they quickly changed stuff. Really the biggest implication of this is the platforms. Its being touted as a Kinect title for 360. They could of course totally redesign it for the Wii U but that doesn't seem likely so does that then imply kinect like functionality.

I was curious about the platforms as well, I think it most likely means that the Wii U version will be using the Wii remote + Nunchuck as the primary control scheme, guess we'll see at E3.

HylianTom

Banned
Looking at NPD data tonight, and I have to wonder how long MS and Sony are going to give Nintendo "alone" on the market with the U. More and more, folks seem bored of this generation, even though, to me, it seems more like a "we-want-more-new-game-releases" thing rather than a "we-need-more-polygons" thing. Nintendo could snag some on-the-fence buyers if the others decide to wait.

I read here and there that one or both of the others are looking at 2014. Seems like a long time. And giving the U two holiday seasons alone? Insane!

dwu8991

Banned
Looking at NPD data tonight, and I have to wonder how long MS and Sony are going to give Nintendo "alone" on the market with the U. More and more, folks seem bored of this generation, even though, to me, it seems more like a "we-want-more-new-game-releases" thing rather than a "we-need-more-polygons" thing. Nintendo could snag some on-the-fence buyers if the others decide to wait.

I read here and there that one or both of the others are looking at 2014. Seems like a long time. And giving the U two holiday seasons alone? Insane!

HD console gaming is dying is that what you are trying to say?

That doesn't mean anything. Skyrim is a Kinect title for 360 as well, just like Heavy Rain is a Move title for PS3, and Twilight Princess is a Wii Remote title.

Caramello

Nintendo games at E3 2012[/u]

Wii U

I can't see them having so many titles of this caliber at launch.

- Pikmin 3 (EAD, 2012/Launch)
- Wii U Play (EAD, 2012/Launch)
- F-Zero (Monster Games, 2012/Launch)
- New Super Mario Bros. Wii U (EAD, 2012/Launch)
- Star Fox (Platinum Games/Q-Games, 2012/Launch)

- The Legend of Zelda (Retro Studios/EAD, 2013)
- Eternal Darkness 2 (Silicon Knights, 2013)
- Yoshi's Island (Good-Feel, 2013)
- Endless Ocean 3 (Arika, 2013)
- New Miyamoto/Koizumi IP (EAD Tokyo 2., 2013)
- New Takahashi RPG (Monolith Soft, 2013)
- Super Mario 4 (EAD Tokyo 1., 2013)
- The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD (Grezzo, 2013)

3DS

- New Super Mario Bros. 2 (EAD, 2012)
- Luigi's Mansion 2 (Next Level Games, 2012)
- Animal Crossing (EAD, 2012)
- Paper Mario (Intelligent Systems, 2013)
- Donkey Kong Country Returns 2 (Retro Studios, 2012) I think NST might be working on a new Donkey Kong Land 3D to tie in with Super Mario Land 3D
- The Legend of Zelda: 3DS (EAD, 2013)
- Kirby's Adventure 2 (HAL, 2013)
- Metroid Dread (EAD, 2013)
- New Monolith Soft title (2013)

Exclusive third-party Wii U games

- Killer Freaks (Ubisoft, 2012/Launch)
- Dragon Quest X HD (Square Enix, 2012/Japanese launch)
- Sonic Universe (Sonic Team/EAD Tokyo 1., 2013)
- Kingdom Hearts 3 (Square Enix, 2013)
- Monster Hunter 4 HD (Capcom, 2013)

Believe! Hmm... okay, maybe half of those new games will be announced.

In production but no presence at E3 2012

Wii U

- Super Smash Bros. (Project Sora, 2014) I think you have to remember that Kid Icarus: Uprising started development in 2009 and wasn't released until 2012. Also Brawl started development late 2005 and wasn't released until early 2008.

3DS

- Super Smash Bros. (Project Sora, 2014)
- Advance Wars (Intelligent Systems, 2013)
- Mario Party (Nd Cube, 2013)

Just some thoughts.. I may back back to this.. There are other things that are clearly wishful thinking but I guess that's what keeps us sane :p

HylianTom

Banned
HD console gaming is dying is that what you are trying to say?
Oh no. I'd bet that more new HD games, well-made, well-advertised would result in better sales. But more than anything in that post, I just wonder how long until either the PS4 or 720 launch..

Why is the power disucssion starting like every day?

The first dev kits already had more power than the Xbox 360 (Garden/Bird demo in the showfloor with effects not possible on current gen + rendered 2 diffrent scenes)

Do you belive that there were NO power upgrades since the first dev kit? These demos also were pretty rushed, so, yeah...

1.3x Xbox360 confirmed i guess :/

AniHawk

Why is the power disucssion starting like every day?

The first dev kits already had more power than the Xbox 360 (Garden/Bird demo in the showfloor with effects not possible on current gen + rendered 2 diffrent scenes)

Do you belive that there were NO power upgrades since the first dev kit? These demos also were pretty rushed, so, yeah...

1.3x Xbox360 confirmed i guess :/

nintendo always makes underpowered systems. the best they had in 1994 when saturn and playstation had 3d games was donkey kong country, and in 2000 when the ps2 had the bouncer, nintendo was releasing some zelda game (which needed more power to run because the system was too weak).

and then there's the wii, which should have been what the wii u is because at least that way nintendo would have made money (i think they lost like two billion dollars this year?)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

There were no effects in the garden/bird demo that are 'not possible' on the current gen.

PogiJones

Banned
Oh no. I'd bet that more new HD games, well-made, well-advertised would result in better sales. But more than anything in that post, I just wonder how long until either the PS4 or 720 launch..

I think the traditional "generations" of consoles is going to change, if MS & Sony decide to wait. Phones don't have to release in the same time-frame as their competitors; there are always new phones coming out, despite the fact that people keep their phone for years. Same with TV, speakers, PCs... pretty much EVERY consumer electronic releases without regard for their competitors' "generations." They just release a better version of their own product as soon as they need the boost in sales.

The Dreamcast suffered because it fell in-between generations, but if UE4 ends up being as scalable as we think it will, I doubt the same fate would befall the Wii U, and I doubt the PS4720 would suffer by letting the Wii U get two holidays all to itself. A good example is the Wii; even though it nearly outsold both of its competitors combined for the first few years, eventually Xbox 360 hit its own stride.

Gamers used to buy consoles based on who got the great 3rd party titles. This mindset led to buying the market leader's console, because they would get the support. But now, EVERYONE gets the 3rd party titles (except the Wii). And if UE4 is super scalable, all 3 consoles will get all big 3rd party titles, so consumers aren't going to buy the market leader in order to get the biggest library; they'll just buy their preference of controls, graphics, and exclusive 1st-party titles, regardless of sales.

TL;DR: Mucho sales used to lead to more sales, but I doubt that will be the case much longer, and hence, the need for "generations" will dampen, and MS and Sony may put off their consoles. All speculation, and I could be wrong, of course.

nintendo always makes underpowered systems. the best they had in 1994 when saturn and playstation had 3d games was donkey kong country, and in 2000 when the ps2 had the bouncer, nintendo was releasing some zelda game (which needed more power to run because the system was too weak).

and then there's the wii, which should have been what the wii u is because at least that way nintendo would have made money (i think they lost like two billion dollars this year?)

SNES, N64 and NGC wer NOT underpowered!

You got to be kidding. They make ONE underpowered system and then they automatically "always made underpowered systems"?

You also compare games of diffrent generations. WTF???

I do expect the PS4 and Durango to outperform WiiU but i don´t think WiiU is just a souped up Xbox 360.

Wolfie5

My revised E3 prediction list:

Wii U (release 3rd week of September)

- Pikmin 3 (Nov 2012)
- F-Zero U (launch)
- New Super Mario Bros. 2 for Wii U and 3DS. Cross-platform play, On-stage demo. Release Oct 2012.
- New Wii fit game (balanceboard/Upad interaction)
- Wii U demo games(showing Upad functionality) included with the system. On-stage demo
- Wii U Sports (launch)
- New Nintendo IP game 1 (launch)
- New Nintendo IP game 2 (Nov 2012)
- Retro game (Metroid or new IP)
- Mario 3D gametrailer (release 2013)
- Icarus (cell shaded adventure game)
- Lego City Stories (dec 2012)
- No Zelda Wii U will be shown
- No Smash bros. will be shown
- Batman Arkham City: 10 of 10 edition (launch)
- Assassins creed III (end of Oct)
- BLOPS 2 (Nov 2012)
- Resident Evil 6 (Oct 2012)
- Ninja Gaiden 3 (launch)
- Tekken game (Q4 2012)
- Dirt game (Q4 2012)
- Darksiders 2 (launch)
- Ghost Recon Online (launch)
- Project CARS (2013)
- Mortal Kombat Wii U edition (launch)
- Street Fighter 4 Wii U edition (launch)
- Aliens Colonial Marines (Oct 2012)
- Rayman Legends (Nov 2012)
- Killer Freaks from Outer Space (launch)
- Epic Mickey 2 (Q4 2012)
- Dragon Quest X (Q4 in Japan)
- Final Fantasy XIV... online (Q4 in Japan)
- New Kingdom Hearts game (2013)
- Maybe GTA V (I am giving it 50% chance) (2013)
- Maybe Bioshock Infinite (was 0% before delay, after delay to 2013, I am giving it 25% chance now)
- Metro: Last Light (2013)
- NBA Live 13 (Oct 2012)
- Fifa 13 (launch)
- Madden NFL 13 (launch)
- Dead Space 3 (2013)
- Need for Speed: Most wanted 2 (2013)

Hell of a list :)

My revised E3 prediction list:

Wii U (release 3rd week of September)

- Pikmin 3 (Nov 2012)
- F-Zero U (launch)
- New Super Mario Bros. 2 for Wii U and 3DS. Cross-platform play, On-stage demo. Release Oct 2012.
- New Wii fit game (balanceboard/Upad interaction)
- Wii U demo games(showing Upad functionality) included with the system. On-stage demo
- Wii U Sports (launch)
- New Nintendo IP game 1 (launch)
- New Nintendo IP game 2 (Nov 2012)
- Retro game (Metroid or new IP)
- Mario 3D gametrailer (release 2013)
- Icarus (cell shaded adventure game)
- Lego City Stories (dec 2012)
- No Zelda Wii U will be shown
- No Smash bros. will be shown
- Batman Arkham City: 10 of 10 edition (launch)
- Assassins creed III (end of Oct)
- BLOPS 2 (Nov 2012)
- Resident Evil 6 (Oct 2012)
- Ninja Gaiden 3 (launch)
- Tekken game (Q4 2012)
- Dirt game (Q4 2012)
- Darksiders 2 (launch)
- Ghost Recon Online (launch)
- Project CARS (2013)
- Mortal Kombat Wii U edition (launch)
- Street Fighter 4 Wii U edition (launch)
- Aliens Colonial Marines (Oct 2012)
- Rayman Legends (Nov 2012)
- Killer Freaks from Outer Space (launch)
- Epic Mickey 2 (Q4 2012)
- Dragon Quest X (Q4 in Japan)
- Final Fantasy XIV... online (Q4 in Japan)
- New Kingdom Hearts game (2013)
- Maybe GTA V (I am giving it 50% chance) (2013)
- Maybe Bioshock Infinite (was 0% before delay, after delay to 2013, I am giving it 25% chance now)
- Metro: Last Light (2013)
- NBA Live 13 (Oct 2012)
- Fifa 13 (launch)
- Madden NFL 13 (launch)
- Dead Space 3 (2013)
- Need for Speed: Most wanted 2 (2013)
- Far Cry 3*
- Dishonored (?)
- Ghost Recon: Futre Soldier (?)
-Dead Space 3 (?)
-THI4F Thief 4 (?)
Hell of a list :)

A couple additions. Who can add more?
*Why no (?), Because in the E3 reveal thread for this last year i noted the onscreen A button prompts were white and grey. I argued this is because it was an Wii U build, Furthermore all footage since has shown the Xbox A button prompt.....

Are you serious ?
I mean, you're saying that Nintendo made underpowered systems because in 1994, they didn't launched a new system ? I mean, seriously, SNES was a 4 years old system at this time.
So, by your logic, Sony made underpowered systems, because in 2005/2006, Gamecube and Xbox/360 made far better graphics ?
This is a non sense !

Edit: Yep, it seems you were sarcastic

science-sarcasm-Professor-Frink-Comic-Book-Guy-631.jpg

EloquentM

aka Mannny

You got to be kidding. They make ONE underpowered system and then they automatically "always made underpowered systems"?

I do expect the PS4 and Durango to outperform WiiU but i don´t think WiiU is just a souped up Xbox 360.
Read his tag

BY2K

Membero Americo
Did Nintendo ever discontinued a color so early? Because they are apparently phasing out Aqua Blue 3DSs.

He is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom