• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.
from the patent:

Note however that in other embodiments, the positions of the analog stick 53A and the cross button 54A may be reversed and the positions of the analog stick 53B and the buttons 54E to 54H may be reversed as necessary.

Here, in the present embodiment, some operation sections (the analog sticks 53A and 53B, the cross button 54A, and the three buttons 54E to 54G) are provided on the left and right opposing sides of the display section (the LCD 51) and above the center of the housing 50 in the up/down direction (y-axis direction). When operating these operation sections, the user primarily holds a portion of the terminal device 7 that is above the center thereof in the up/down direction. If the user holds the lower portion of the housing 50 (particularly if the terminal device 7 has a relatively large size as in the present embodiment), the terminal device 7 to be held becomes unstable, making it more difficult for the user to hold the terminal device 7. In contrast, in the present embodiment, when operating the operation section, the user primarily holds a portion of the terminal device 7 that is above the center thereof in the up/down direction, and the housing 50 can be supported from the sides by the palms. Therefore, the user can stably hold the housing 50 and it is made easier to hold the terminal device 7, thus making it easier to operate the operation section. In other embodiments, operation sections are provided, at least one on the left and one on the right of the display section, above the center of the housing 50. For example, only the analog sticks 53A and 53B may be provided above the center of the housing 50. For example, in a case in which the cross button 54A is provided above the left analog stick 53A and the four buttons 54E to 54H are provided above the right analog stick 53B, the cross button 54A and the four buttons 54E to 54H may be provided above the center of the housing 50.

hmmmm so it IS EASY to hold :p

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I'm american ;D
Import it, make a region free Wii is not hard.
Or purchase a Wii from the region you are importing the game. I have one PAL Wii and one NTSC-J Wii. The Japanese version I purchased mainly for Dairantou Smash Brothers X (Brawl) when it was released, I didn't wanna wait for it to be released in Europe.

VAPitts

I'm wondering why he, of all analysts, gets such spotlight. From what I can discern, it's just that he does an excellent job of getting his name out there - marketing himself.

true. it's just sad a man with experience like him has to resort to sophmoric levels to get his name out there. it's as bad as the other trolls on the internet.

HylianTom

Banned
Is it crazy that click sticks is the most impressive thing about the Wii U for me so far in terms of working with third parties?
Who knows?

I am agnostic on clicky sticks, and am waiting to see how Nintendo implements them (you know as well as I do that they'll put their own spin on 'em). But I like that Nintendo can point to yet another thing - even if it's a smallish thing like this - and say, "see? We're trying here! We're bending even more!"

Instro

Good to see that the sticks will be clickable. Just another extra detail that goes towards getting 3rd parties and gamers to accept the system and the controller.

Where/when were clicky sticks confirmed? No circle pads anymore?

Post #232, though by "clicky sticks", it is pretty likely that "clicky pads" were actually meant. "sticks" are just generically used as a term for "analog directional input".

edit: …though the leaker could have actually meant sticks.

Who knows?

I am agnostic on clicky sticks, and am waiting to see how Nintendo implements them (you know as well as I do that they'll put their own spin on 'em). But I like that Nintendo can point to yet another thing - even if it's a smallish thing like this - and say, "see? We're trying here! We're bending even more!"

I agree. I was one of the posters defending the lack of clicky sticks, but I'll remain cautiously optimistic in Nintendo's implementation. Black Ops 2 on the DRC could be the definitive way to play, and that makes me optimistic in terms of future 3rd party support.

TunaLover

Rösti;37564682 said:
Or purchase a Wii from the region you are importing the game. I have one PAL Wii and one NTSC-J Wii. The Japanese version I purchased mainly for Dairantou Smash Brothers X (Brawl) when it was released, I didn't wanna wait for it to be released in Europe.

But that's A LOT more expensive ;(

HylianTom

Banned
I agree. I was one of the posters defending the lack of clicky sticks, but I'll remain cautiously optimistic in Nintendo's implementation. Black Ops 2 on the DRC could be the definitive way to play, and that makes me optimistic in terms of future 3rd party support.
Yup. I would have been perfectly content with the non-clicky status quo, but Nintendo has yet to screw me over with a bad controller, so I figure I'll wait until judging. Who knows? I may well love the little buggers!

another thing that cought my attetion while skim reading the patent:

. Variations

The above embodiment is an example of systems and methods that can be carried out, and the systems and methods may also be carried out with, for example, the following configurations in other embodiments.

(Variation Using Plurality Of Terminal Devices)

While the game system 1 includes only one terminal device in the above embodiment, the game system 1 may include a plurality of terminal devices. That is, the game device 3 may be able to wirelessly communicate with each of a plurality of terminal devices, wherein the game device 3 transmits game image data, game sound data and control data to each terminal device, and receives operation data, camera image data and microphone sound data from each terminal device. When the game device 3 wirelessly communicates with the plurality of terminal devices, the game device 3 can realize the wireless communication with the terminal devices by time division multiple access or frequency division multiple access.

the last part confused me,,,help ?

The patent doesn't describe anything interesting. No structural divergence from the Wii. No performance or capacity information.

An optical output port costs at least a couple cents. So no.

It tells us that there are 3 RAM pools. I think that's fairly interesting.

Shurayuki

Rösti;37564682 said:

Haha are you me? That's exactly what i did, Smash and Oneechanbara.

But really region free-ing is way more recommendable than buying another Wii in my eyes. Also Another Code is sitting beside me, glaring at me for never playing it more than the opening, stop reminding me!

Damn son,

i just realised how AWESOME Saints Row 3 would work on the WiiU!

The Sattelite rockets:

On current gen: The TV screen ebcomes the sattelite view for aiming and you stay in that mode the entire time.

On WiiU: The DRC becomes the sattelite screen and you could watch the rockets drop from the sky on your tv, making several tanks/swat cars explode...

The airstrike:

On current gen: Used like a normal gun (Aim and fire)

On WiiU: Point to the target on screen directly with the DRC and fire

Just to name a few...

The whole drc (When not used for special weapons) would always be the smartphone. The game wouldn´t pause. You can directly dial friends for help, upgrade, etc... While your character has the Phone in his hands and the game world stays alive. Its not frozen.

Select your destination with just a fingerpress instead of moving a crosshair.

Sniper would work like well... a sniper ;) Same thing with aiming with the rocket launcher.

Damn this thing SO needs a Saints Row!

Thraktor

another thing that cought my attetion while skim reading the patent:

the last part confused me,,,help ?

TDMA and FDMA are different ways to divide up a transmission system (in this case wireless) between different senders/receivers. It's just a technical distinction that doesn't really have any effect on the functionality of multiple Wii U pads (if they are supported).

From BY2K.
http://ognintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=176705

This weekend's Pach-Attack is a Wii U special

PR said:
This Saturday, May 5 Noon PT, Wedbush Securities Analyst Michael Pachter addresses why Nintendo has not yet released any of the hardware specs for the Wii U and if it means it’s not ready to compete with the current generation of consoles. He also predicts when the Wii U be released, as games like “Assassin’s Creed III” are already slated for October 30th 2012. Plus, what’s does Pachter think about Google Glasses? Pachter puts his thinking tie on this week to deliver the answers everyone wants to know!

Akai

This Saturday, May 5 Noon PT, Wedbush Securities Analyst Michael Pachter addresses why Nintendo has not yet released any of the hardware specs for the Wii U and if it means it’s not ready to compete with the current generation of consoles.

*pulls hair out*

*pulls hair out*

Perhaps one more generation and he'll understand that the victor of each generation is never, ever the most powerful system in that generation. There are many variables, and "specs" is just one of them (hell, "specs" itself is varied enough that computational strength is just one small aspect of it).

lednerg

Since the tablet won't be able to lie flat on a table or the ground without tipping forward (because of the ridge on the back), couldn't that cradle also be used to stabilize the tablet when you want to do that?

MDX

From the patent. Get on it, techies.

wiiupatent.jpg

The CPU will have eDram in it. Will it not?
So I dont think the VRAM has to be the eDram.
Could be something else.

In any case, Im speculating...

Vram = 256MB
Internal Main = 512MB
External Main = 1GB
CPU = 12MB eDram.

By the way, they're fixing Civilization V this Spring, so somebody else might have to take over for the top two posting spots on this thread. ;P

Since the tablet won't be able to lie flat on a table or the ground without tipping forward (because of the ridge on the back), couldn't that cradle also be used to stabilize the tablet when you want to do that?

Yeah, but not in the Othello way -- the cradle would make the controller stand up at an angle, from the diagrams we've seen.

lednerg

Yeah, but not in the Othello way -- the cradle would make the controller stand up at an angle, from the diagrams we've seen.

No, I mean you could lay the controller flat onto the cradle to keep it from tipping forward. Not like the diagram shows. You'd rest the controller's ridge behind the cradle's ridge.

Betting on little feet that pop out on the controller so that it can lay flat.
Yeah, that was my first guess. Regardless of how they do it, it needs to be taken care of.

The CPU will have eDram in it. Will it not?
So I dont think the VRAM has to be the eDram.
Could be something else.

In any case, Im speculating...

Vram = 256MB
Internal Main = 512MB
External Main = 1GB
CPU = 12MB eDram.

lherre says no. Make of that what you will.

And my current theory is that the "internal main memory" is the eDRAM. VRAM would refer to GDDR5/GDDR3. I'd go with GDDR5 since GDDR3 is at the end of its life cycle and will most likely never come down in cost. GDDR5 has been around since '08 and is the most common type of VRAM on the market.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!

EVIL

This Saturday, May 5 Noon PT, Wedbush Securities Analyst Michael Pachter addresses why Nintendo has not yet released any of the hardware specs for the Wii U and if it means it’s not ready to compete with the current generation of consoles. He also predicts when the Wii U be released, as games like “Assassin’s Creed III” are already slated for October 30th 2012. Plus, what’s does Pachter think about Google Glasses? Pachter puts his thinking tie on this week to deliver the answers everyone wants to know!
Who are they kidding?

Reading the bit about pachter made me wanna belive in one of my absolutely insane e3 predictions that i avoided posting because of insanity being off the charts but here we go:

(Imagine the E3 crowd being the biggest Nintendo fans... so basically NGAF)

[Insanity@20%]

While Iwata is talking in the stage, Nintendo employees hand out tomatoes to the people in the audience. The tomatoes have "DOOMED" written on them. The audience goes "WTF???"

Then Iwata announces that someone will celebrate her comeback at Nintendo. Then ALPHAMOM hits the stage, but shes not alone. A Guy in a leathersuit, a leather mask and on a leash on all fours is accompanying her. And Kaplan reveals his idendity by removing the mask. ITS THE PACHTER! Kaplan yells: "WE BEAT THE PACHTER DRAGON!" and the crowd starts throwing the tomatoes at Pachter.

[/Insanity]

MDX

lherre says no. Make of that what you will.

All I can say is that they didnt have the final CPU in the dev kit.
Its just strange when IBM made such a big deal about it:

“The all-new, Power-based microprocessor will pack some of IBM’s most advanced technology into an energy-saving silicon package,” said IBM. “IBM’s unique embedded DRAM, for example, is capable of feeding the multi-core processor large chunks of data to make for a smooth entertainment experience.”

BurntPork

Banned
I looked at the thing about Pachter, and it's just a Patch-Attack. That means that someone is asked him why Nintendo hasn't given specs and he's just giving his opinion. Not sure why that was even brought up here as news. :/

Edit: The thing that was quoted even said "put his thinking tie on."

lednerg

No, I mean you could lay the controller flat onto the cradle to keep it from tipping forward. Not like the diagram shows. You'd rest the controller's ridge behind the cradle's ridge.

Well what about when you pressed the buttons or the left/right edges of the screen? It would tip to the side.

I looked at the thing about Pachter, and it's just a Patch-Attack. That means that someone is asked him why Nintendo hasn't given specs and he's just giving his opinion. Not sure why that was even brought up here as news. :/

Because he brings levity to our thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom