• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Mario world has mostly had the look of a box of latex toys. I'm wondering with the switch to HD they pick a new rendering style. Perhaps like old fashioned dolls with cloth clothing and wooden or porcelain bodys. It'd be pretty wild to see Mario running around where his overalls animate as a separate object from his body. Now, go ahead and hate on my idea.

Hmm I've never thought of that :/

I wouldn't think it would be a big change in art direction ...I've never considered the HD jump a "real big jump" over last gen,,unlike say SNES to N64 ,PS1 to PS2 kinda jump

It would be awesome for Nintendo to have a Nintendo Direct channel on the Wii U. Not only will they have their ND streams, but new trailers and announcements will appear on this channel as well. It would be nice to keep consumers who don't follow gaming news up to date with the ND channel.
That actually would make a lot of sense ! ,,so Nintendo would skip it ಠ_ಠ
But getting a notification saying "tune in any such such time to watch our live ND where we discusse such n such" i sure as hell will be setting with my WiiU controller waiting for the thing ;)

Oh yeah, they did skip the 3DS' OS at E3 2010.

Now I'm really thinking they won't show the Wii U's... :(
But maybe with Nintendo's sudden move to the online world, we might get this big blowout about the WiiU and it's features ;) ,,it's a 50/50 thing I guess

Edit: shhhot double post ~_~ sorry

antonz

If microsoft is going OS/UI crazy as suggested Nintendo may feel the need to hype theirs up a bit because MS is gonna come out swinging with deals with companies etc

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Wii O/S.

They will at least hit all of the major bullet points. But not necessarily the user interface, as that's a bit inside baseball for the mainstream press.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The OS and online stuff will be shown later, like around August/Septemberish. Count on it.

The OS, maybe, but not the online stuff, oh no. Nintendo will make sure everybody knows and check that box.

And here's a bold prediction of me; Friends Codes. GONE! Completely!

Antioch

Prediction time: Monster Games is doing a Mach Rider revival.

Yeah, at E3 that damned NDA will be lifted and devs will be allowed to talk more about Wii U projects.

wiiu-oslecf9.png

If only Nibel was spot on...

Honestly though, I think I'd prefer if they took any and all clutter off the TV screen, they can put all of that on the controller. The only thing on the TV should be the title screen of the game or channel or whatever you might be selecting at that point.

Linkhero1

But maybe with Nintendo's sudden move to the online world, we might get this big blowout about the WiiU and it's features ;) ,,it's a 50/50 thing I guess

Edit: shhhot double post ~_~ sorry

I think you mixed your post in the quote :p

But yeah. I can see them sending people notifications similar to the 3DS about an upcoming Nintendo Direct or brand new game trailer.

The OS, maybe, but not the online stuff, oh no. Nintendo will make sure everybody knows and check that box.

Agreed. Nintendo cannot avoid showing online. Reggie needs to be checking them boxes!

Hmm I've never thought of that :/

I wouldn't think it would be a big change in art direction ...I've never considered the HD jump a "real big jump" over last gen,,unlike say SNES to N64 ,PS1 to PS2 kinda jump

I agree, they shouldn't have to change the art style at all unless they wanted to. The Ratchet games kept their art style from last generation. The games have more detail now, but the general art style is the same.

I think that they could skip really detailing the online stuff for the Wii U if they confirmed that friend codes were gone. That would get rid of the biggest concern that people have when it comes to the Wii U's online set up.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Since our Excite Truck / Bots discussion I've really been thinking about picking up one of those games. I lost all my Wii games in a fire, and I didn't replace those.

Oh, I think the chance of seeing Wii U OS is extremely small.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Here's an idea...

What if a game used the wuc to periodically display banner advertisements while playing the game on the tv screen. They could be context driven, say, for example, after scoring a hat trick in NHL 2012, an offer from Papa Johns comes up offering you a 3-toppings pizza for $5. Then you get an opportunity to pause the game and pull up the advertiser's website. In return for the banner ads you get to buy the game at a much cheaper rate (think $25-30).

-----

As for the user interface, I predict they will use the "throwing stars" example to slide channels across the wuc and then throw/flick them up onto the main tv screen.

Linkhero1

I agree, they shouldn't have to change the art style at all unless they wanted to. The Ratchet games kept their art style from last generation. The games have more detail now, but the general art style is the same.

I think that they could skip really detailing the online stuff for the Wii U if they confirmed that friend codes were gone. That would get rid of the biggest concern that people have when it comes to the Wii U's online set up.

That doesn't mean their online will be solid. They need to give people some detail. I don't care if it's after their conference. I think a roundtable would be a good time to give details about their online plans. I agree with what you said. They need to at least mention FCs are gone during their conference.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Truck is a better designed, tighter experience, but I have a soft spot for the sheer mania of Bots.

Antioch

What if the Mario game Miyamoto mentioned is in fact, Mario Paint U? Not only that, but what if that game was intended to be the Wii Sports equivalent at launch? Would make sense I think, but it would be far beyond Mario Paint on SNES obviously, what if you could draw your own levels, characters, enemies etc and share them online? And then they could add an 'Art Academy' mode of free-style drawing/painting like that drawing Link example from E3, not only that, they could add Flipnote Studio and Swapnote like stuff. I think that could be a killer app, no?

It would not only show off all the controller's capabilities but also the Wii U's online, and it would have pretty obvious appeal, as it would be the complete drawing game.

Gahiggidy

I should start thinking about my Bingo Cards.

Reggie Bingo. With all the boxes as items Nintendo needs to show in order to please everyone watching. 1080p *check*. New Nintendo IP *check*. UE4 *check*. Retro core gamer game *check*. Wii Sports spiritual successor *check*.

That doesn't mean their online will be solid. They need to give people some detail. I don't care if it's after their conference. I think a roundtable would be a good time to give details about their online plans. I agree with what you said. They need to at least mention FCs are gone during their conference.

I think that the removal of friend codes would give people confidence that they're making the right moves with the Wii U's online features. So it could afford them some additional time before they go for a full blowout for the online features.

They only have an hour to talk about everything, and that they're probably going to spend 20 or so minutes on the Wii and 3DS. So that would leave them with around 40 minutes to re-unveil the Wii U, talk about the controller features, show off their games and which third party devs they have on board etc. Things are going to be tight. I think that they might want to detail the online features at another event when they'll have more time to really go in-depth about them.

Gahiggidy

Looking as sample Bingo cards, it looks like we'd need to come up with 100 examples. That might be tough.

----

*starting to think how I could design a website-app around this*

kamek.jpg

Kamek needs to be a villian for a future Mario game. Having Bowser be the villian every time can get old.

Ya know, I've always liked Kamek. I think I just admire his love/loyality to Bowser, how he sticks his neck out for that guy constantly and has raised him like a son since he was a baby. And he's always there to look after him when he's inevitably beat by Mario.

KamerTreatingBowser.png

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Looking as sample Bingo cards, it looks like we'd need to come up with 100 examples. That might be tough.

----

*starting to think how I could design a website-app around this*
Bingo doesn't usually go above 75 numbers.

B = 1-15
I = 16-30
N = 31-45
G = 46-60
O = 61-75

Roo

Ya know, I've always liked Kamek. I think I just admire his love/loyality to Bowser, how he sticks his neck out for that guy constantly and has raised him like a son since he was a baby. And he's always there to look after him when he's inevitably beat by Mario.

KamerTreatingBowser.png

That was deep, man :p

sfried

There are still plenty of people out there focused on the placeholder GPU in the early kit assuming the final will be a 10.1-equivalent.
I wish there was a consolidation for all this techtalk. You know, aside from lurking the Beyond3D boards now and then.

The very fact that this discussion opened up 3DS tech specs yet again made me very interested. Those dedicated chips for fog...reminds me of of how the SFX chips where in many ways so dedicated to the SNES hardware clockcyle that it made it difficult to emulate accurately. It leaves me to question what kind of machine will Nintendo's next handheld be and whether this collaboration with DMP will be a long lasting one (Beyond3D was also the few ones to guess DMP's PICA chips being behind the 3DS chips correctly too).

Which leads us to WiiU: We know the only thing that doesn't have dedicated hardware for task would be the issue with the 1T-SRAM emulation for Wii games. But I'm also keen on hearing stuff like the "special features" chips. The big rumor is a sort of global illumination chip. But would it be possible to make a ray-tracing chip too? Certainly the tech for it would've matured by now.

KamerTreatingBowser.png

Haha, awwww. What game is that pic from?

LOCK

How many people here will buy the Wii U if the only first-party launch title is Waluigi's Mansion?
Sounds kinky.

KamerTreatingBowser.png

Awww

boiled goose

good with gravy
Yeah, if we're going for pure, unadulterated craziness, Bots easily wins.
But for pure gameplay, Trucks beats it.

fuck no 4 player local multi on both titles though.
Literally killed the game for me.

Would have been the go-to game for my friends for quite a while otherwise. Two player only with no other cars is just meh honestly.

I know it's a long shot but I really hope they extend the reach of the Wiipad. I want to be able to walk around my entire apartment unit with the pad and stream content. This not only includes games but apps as well. Would love to be able to stream Netflix, Hulu, Amazona and the various Nintendo channels.

sinxtanx

KamerTreatingBowser.png

Well, when you resurrect an ancient God-king and attempt to clone him eight times (seven failed, one successful) and use him to take absolute control over an entire race to build a kingdom with, of course you get a little attached.

/headcanon

I know it's a long shot but I really hope they extend the reach of the Wiipad. I want to be able to walk around my entire apartment unit with the pad and stream content. This not only includes games but apps as well. Would love to be able to stream Netflix, Hulu, Amazona and the various Nintendo channels.

wsippel, I think it was, was commenting a week or so ago on how it looks like the connection protocol is over a regular wireless LAN. If that's true, it would be homewide.

Does anyone expect Nintendo to do co-marketing deals with third party publishers? It's something that's really only started this generation due to the lack of exclusive titles. But it's really common to see multiplatform game commercials with only PS3 or 360 logos at the end. The marketing usually goes deeper than that because those games are often only demoed on that specific console and there's usually exclusive content involved. It seems like it could help change Nintendo's relationships with third party publishers and the perception that Nintendo consoles are only for Nintendo games.

Does anyone expect Nintendo to do co-marketing deals with third party publishers? It's something that's really only started this generation due to the lack of exclusive titles. But it's really common to see multiplatform game commercials with only PS3 or 360 logos at the end. The marketing usually goes deeper than that because those games are often only demoed on that specific console and there's usually exclusive content involved. It seems like it could help change Nintendo's relationships with third party publishers and the perception that Nintendo consoles are only for Nintendo games.

It's already been confirmed (well, as much as anything can be confirmed for Nintendo when they don't say it themselves) that Nintendo will match the marketing money on some third party titles.

Well, when you resurrect an ancient God-king and attempt to clone him eight times (seven failed, one successful) and use him to take absolute control over an entire race to build a kingdom with, of course you get a little attached.

/headcanon

What game is this story and pic from?

When do threads get killed? As in how many posts?

I knew this wouldn't be the final frontier cause there's gonna have to be another thread (at least one) before E3....

Which leads us to WiiU: We know the only thing that doesn't have dedicated hardware for task would be the issue with the 1T-SRAM emulation for Wii games. But I'm also keen on hearing stuff like the "special features" chips. The big rumor is a sort of global illumination chip. But would it be possible to make a ray-tracing chip too? Certainly the tech for it would've matured by now.

To clear that up, there aren't multiple chips. Those features are in the GPU itself. My take was that GI would definitely be at least a part of that based on the Zelda/Bird demos. Li Mu Bai's post seemed to back that notion up. So if that is one of those features, it will be interesting to see exactly how it's implemented in the GPU and how games will take advantage of it. Speaking specifically on a ray-tracing processor, Thraktor made a nice speculation post about that in the third thread.

20,000. Thread should last unless something big happens

Nah. We're almost 40% done with this thread and it's only been 8 days. We're definitely going to see another one.

IIRC that's from M&L3 ending. It ends with...

Mario, Luigi and Peach sending him cake.

Yep. I was coming to say that a tineye search led me to Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom