• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Portugeezer

Do you guys think the $99 Xbox + Kinect could affect Wii U sales?

Traded in a bunch of 360 games and HDD, got $127.60. Not sure whether to put it into my WiiU fund or spring for a 3DS.

/blog

Wait for E3 to see some Wii U news at least, now that it's so close. 3DS is a great system though. Great selection of games. Only getting better.

HylianTom

Banned
Yep. As the only platform holder that is 100% focused on video games (and probably the only platform holder in the future) they have a vested interest in keeping the entire industry viable. If game development costs drive the industry into the ground, well, Nintendo is fucked.

I'm with you, I'd like to see Nintendo seriously ramp up their efforts with smaller developers. Get in on the ground floor with very creative minds and nurture them along to a profitable business model, with some hooks that keep it advantageous to Nintendo.
Well, this generation is Nintendo's shot. I'd love to see if the concept of sustainability is mentioned during the conference, even if it's just in passing.

Get some new/small developers settled-in on solid ground with lots of support, give them the spotlight with prominent marketing on the console interface (gotta seek a delicate middle ground between aggressive and annoying), control/influence expectations of gamers themselves, etc.

From a non-gaming perspective, this is shaping-up to be a really fun generation to watch.

AGITΩ

Wait for E3 to see some Wii U news at least, now that it's so close. 3DS is a great system though. Great selection of games. Only getting better.

I dont think consumers are down with a 2 year contract. As a VG Salesmen, some consumers wise up and actually do the math to see that they are paying $460 total

Redford

aka Cabbie

Not to a major extent, in my opinion. Not every single move that a company makes is inversely detrimental to another in a direct way.

Personally I think the $99 model is an unappealing idea for consumers who already have enough of that shit to deal with (phones, furniture, computers, cars etc)

HylianTom

Banned

Wait for E3 to see some Wii U news at least, now that it's so close.

It could, marginally. But I think if Nintendo is able to strike gold with another damn good ad campaign, Kinect won't cut the mustard. Nintendo will emphasize that they alone have that pretty, shiny controller with the pad screen - and that the others do not. If they can make the consumers crave what only they are offering, I'm not too concerned.

Rich!

Traded in a bunch of 360 games and HDD, got $127.60. Not sure whether to put it into my WiiU fund or spring for a 3DS.

/blog

Don't use it for anything yet. Wait until E3, and then you'll have all the information you need to make your own decision. You'll know what the Wii-U has to offer, and you'll be able to compare it to the 3DS summer/autumn lineup, and possible re-design (if that ever happens).

HylianTom

Banned
Don't use it for anything yet. Wait until E3, and then you'll have all the information you need to make your own decision.
Bingo. I doubt that we'll see a revision, but E3 might come with a price drop or a good bonus offer. Heck, they might offer a color you'll like..

(unless there's a color you want already. If it's limited in release, I'd say JUMP on it!)

AGITΩ

Bingo. I doubt that we'll see a revision, but E3 might come with a price drop or a good bonus offer. Heck, they might offer a color you'll like..

(unless there's a color you want already. If it's limited in release, I'd say JUMP on it!)

I doubt they'd price drop the 3DS again before it starts making them Profit by september period. Even then, the price is still consumer friendly enough to stay at 169 for years. Plus when they announce a 3DS XL in a year or two, that might retail $189-199 and then they'll probably price drop to $149.

Redford

aka Cabbie
I actually have one sitting beside me right here; the one I bought at launch in blue, but it's no longer mine (sold it to a friend last summer. Was tight on money, would have kept it otherwise)

There are only a few games that are really wooing me right now. Thanks for the advice though, everyone. I'll sit on it, and hopefully there'll be a green or orange flavour sometime this summer.

They already announced the sweet purple 3DS, at least wait for that

retailers-list-midnight-purple-3ds-20120427073015669-000.jpg

The progress made by hardware emulators is irrelevant. You have a few factors to consider:

Virtual Console games are emulated on a per-game basis, meaning that you have to re-invent the wheel with every game you plan to emulate, as if it weren't hard enough to just worry about the hardware.

The other problem comes in that Sega actually LOST THE CODE for a good chunk of its Saturn releases. So in order to get per-game emulation going, they'd have to reverse-engineer a disc with the content on it.

If it were so simple, Sony and MS would have beat them to it.

You're better off hoping for Dreamcast emulation. Personally, I want Capcom to add CPS2 and CPS3 architecture games to the Virtual Console Arcade releases.

Look, no one said it was simple. I never said such a thing. I never said it would be easy at all, but I think it would be worth it if they could get it to work on a few worthwhile games. (Like, say, Panzer Dragoon Saga.)

Re-invent the wheel for each game? Really? No, they might need to modify the emulator slightly, refine some code here and there, and optimize some settings, but they do not need to "re-invent the wheel," which in this case would mean "code the emulator from scratch every time." It is possible for a customized version of the emulator with the proper switches and functions enabled to be included with each game, which is exactly how they already do it on Wii VC titles. EDIT: Just saw Dreamwriter's post on the last page. I didn't know they reworked VC titles to implement the emulator at the console leve. Thanks for that update.

You think they had to reverse engineer almost every NES game to get NESticle to run them? Yes, those games are simpler than Saturn games, but you need to reverse-engineer the hardware to write an emulator, not necessarily the software. (Although figuring out what calls the software makes to the hardware when it runs into trouble would help in refining and debugging an emulator.) What you're thinking of is porting the game to the console directly, in which case, yes, not having the source code would be a SERIOUS setback.

Once again, I am not saying it's likely or even reasonable to assume it could happen in a commercial fashion, but you make it sound like it's outright impossible, and it is not. If the emulation community worked as hard on perfecting Saturn emulation like they did, say, SNES or even PSX emulation, we'd probably have a couple great, functional open-source Saturn emulators right now. As complex as the Sega Saturn is, nothing is unsolvable.

That's my ten cents on the matter.

Hiltz

There's a rumor from a "trusted source" over at Go Nintendo about Nintendo's Tadashi Sugiyama being involved in a Wii U project. Sugiyama's the producer/manager of EAD Software Development Group #5. Some of his past titles include F-Zero X, Super Mario Bros 2/Doki Doki Panic, Ice Climbers, Luigi's Mansion, Zelda 2, Wind Waker, Mario Kart Double Dash, Mario Kart Super Circuit, as well as Steel Driver and Starfox 64 3D.

Anth0ny

I'd love to see Saturn emulation, however...

You're better off hoping for Dreamcast emulation. Personally, I want Capcom to add CPS2 and CPS3 architecture games to the Virtual Console Arcade releases.

That would be better and cover most Saturn games I actually care about.

Thraktor

There's a rumor from a "trusted source" over at Go Nintendo about Nintendo's Tadashi Sugiyama being involved in a Wii U project. Sugiyama's the producer/manager of EAD Software Development Group #5. Some of his past titles include F-Zero X, Super Mario Bros 2/Doki Doki Panic, Ice Climbers, Luigi's Mansion, Zelda 2, Wind Waker, Mario Kart Double Dash, Mario Kart Super Circuit, as well as Steel Driver and Starfox 64 3D.

It's hardly a leap of faith to suggest he's working on a Wii U project, not least because Wii Fit was shown off on the Wii U demo reel last year, and EAD 5 have been responsible for the series.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Okay, I'm gonna mark this one as VERY SALTY, but RMC and co posted a rumour that Tadashi Sugiyama is gonna show a new game for Wii U at E3.

He worked on those games:

Ice Climber - Graphic Design (NES, 1984)
Zelda 2: Adventure of Link - Director (NES, 1987)
Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic - Designer (FCD, 1987)
Super Mario Bros. 2 - Assistant Director (NES, 1988)
Pilotwings - Director (SNES, 1990)
Super Mario Kart - Director (SNES, 1992)
F-Zero X - Director (N64, 1998)
F-Zero Xpansion Kit - Director (N64 DD, 2000)
Mario Kart: Super Circuit - Supervisor (GBA, 2001)
Luigi's Mansion - Design Director (GCN, 2001)
The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker - Supervisor (GNC, 2002)
Mario Kart: Double Dash - Producer (GCN, 2004)
Wii Fit - Producer (Wii, 2007)
Wii Fit Plus - Producer (Wii, 2009)

EDIT: HILTZ, IMMA CUT YOU!

Batman is on my short list for must-buy games at launch. The idea of a licensed Batman game being a must-buy seems foreign to me, so WB definitely deserves applause for such a remarkable feat. I wish more studios would treat licensed property games more seriously; there are some universes and characters that would be fantastic for the bases of their own games.

Iwata gave a speech last year about the topic of "bloated" development budgets that kinda shocked me. (paraphrasing here, but: Not every game needs to be AAA. Or ultra-HD. It's the little details that make games great. Etc.) I mean, could you see any one of the other gaming division leaders making such comments? He definitely seems out-of-touch with much of the industry, core gamers, the media that reinforces these views, etc.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind a scenario where Nintendo fosters a "sane" development paradigm for themselves and whomever wants to come along with them in their own ecosystem is welcome - while the rest of the industry pushes for moremoremore and learns a hard lesson. The sooner, the better, because the sooner it's realized, the less we may end-up losing.

I'd like to see a return of the "middle tier" of gaming. Stylized graphics to make up for lower production budgets and retro game styles. Think locked perspectives etc. It's not like these things hurt a game's ability to be entertaining. It just keeps things a whole lot simpler to produce.

Maybe somebody could actually make a decent JRPG in HD like this. You could render a barebones version for light placement, fix the perspective then hand paint the scene. The only rendered stuff would be the character models and light sources. Think Baten Kaitos with HD backgrounds and way, way nicer character models and lighting.

You could do an AMAZING looking old style RE game like this too.

:O

Super Mario Bros 2…. 2!
The mechanics in that game worked so well together that it's a real shame that we never saw much like it again.

I know, I know, "Wii Make U Fit", etc, etc… but it would be nice to see New Ice Climbers, and they could probably do something interesting with it.

No.
Thats a price for people who wouldn't pay for a $249+ console in the first place.

Which is why it's a shame that Nintendo mismanaged the software side the past couple years. Many of even the most gung ho of us found ourselves with nothing interesting to get, and if they somehow filled the shelves consistently, they'd be able to segment their audience like Sony did with PS2/PS3 (though hopefully more successfully on the high end part of that mix).

MDX

Okay, I'm gonna mark this one as VERY SALTY, but RMC and co posted a rumour that Tadashi Sugiyama is gonna show a new game for Wii U at E3.

Nintendo will probably show many games. They need to give the impression of WiiU domination. Of course, not all will be available for launch. So, its not a far fetched rumor.

BlackJace

Here's a question: let's say there's one launch game with graphics as amazing as the Samaritan demo. It's Wii-U Music. Do you buy it?

The real question is how could a game using Mii's be hyper-realistic and detailed like in the Samaritan demo?

But if it WAS, yes I would. If it had a nice soundtrack that is.

MDX

Which is why it's a shame that Nintendo mismanaged the software side the past couple years. Many of even the most gung ho of us found ourselves with nothing interesting to get, and if they somehow filled the shelves consistently, they'd be able to segment their audience like Sony did with PS2/PS3 (though hopefully more successfully on the high end part of that mix).

They dropped the ball on many things. However, if it was because they had to get all their studios working on 3DS and WiiU games, well we cant really blame them. They did their job getting the Wii out to as many homes as possible, third parties should have swooped in and feasted. Instead they left the Wii out there to rot. And still this system is selling.

AGITΩ

Here's a question: let's say there's one launch game with graphics as amazing as the Samaritan demo. It's Wii-U Music. Do you buy it?

Wait...how would they incorporate such graphics into a Minimal Spec Music game? Give me Rhythm Heaven Utopia with those features and I'd take 20.

Rösti;37810064 said:

And even back further than that the Iwata Asks E3 version had a discussion of Wii Fit for Wii U confirming the controller had Kinect-like functionality.

Miyamoto: I can’t really talk about it in detail, but we’re working on new ways to do training exercises with Wii Fit, like using the camera, you can place it against something and play while the game looks at your status.

Iwata: It certainly seems possible from an engineering standpoint that the camera will recognize you if you position the new controller to look at you. Moreover, it would be much more accessible if all you have to do is to hold it, press a button and stand on the Wii Balance Board.

XD

Will the Miis smoke while they play their instruments? Day 1 if so. :p

Incredibly unlikely and wasteful. Take Wii Music, upscale to 1080p, 4XAA and add better lighting. Done.

I'd buy it if the product was good regardless though.

And even back further than that the Iwata Asks E3 version had a discussion of Wii Fit for Wii U confirming the controller had Kinect-like functionality.

Honestly I'm all for another Wii Fit game. It's a new genre and everything we've seen thus far is fairly primitive with low development costs. Given the success of the last game, doing another one with a more significant investment could result in something really, really special.

That would still look horrible. Needs to be refined a little more than just technically.

Really? I always thought the games looked more or less fine, just needed to be a little cleaner for the HD transition. Putting a ton of effort into super detailed graphics would actually detract from the experience IMO. Cartoony and inviting is the way to go for these Wii ___ titles as far as I'm concerned.

HylianTom

Banned
Honestly I'm all for another Wii Fit game. It's a new genre and everything we've seen thus far is fairly primitive with low development costs. Given the success of the last game, doing another one with a more significant investment could result in something really, really special.
If they could expand the step aerobics portion of the game, I'd be all over it. They could make an entire game out of it, with many different sequences/dances/songs and I'd be there on Day 1.

Redford

aka Cabbie
I'm sure the soccer moms and kindergarteners will be outraged.

Well, the question was whether I would buy it.

Really? I always thought the games looked more or less fine, just needed to be a little cleaner for the HD transition. Putting a ton of effort into super detailed graphics would actually detract from the experience IMO. Cartoony and inviting is the way to go for these Wii ___ titles as far as I'm concerned.

Again, speaking under the premise that I would be purchasing it. I don't really care about spooking casuals or making things get too real. (not that I would want that, anyways)

If they could expand the step aerobics portion of the game, I'd be all over it. They could make an entire game out of it, with many different sequences/dances/songs and I'd be there on Day 1.

Oh, totally. They can add a lot to the game if they combine Kinect like functionality in the sensor bar or upad with the balance board. Not just a ton of new step aerobics type stuff but also things like checking your posture in yoga and making sure you're not cheating on situps, jumping jacks, whatever else.

Not only that but the things the controller can do with Kinect abilities. It wouldn't be the primary (only) part of control like Kinect and because of that it may "fit" better with certain types of games since it wouldn't be a primary control. Ideaman has talked about the facial recognition aspect. But having that function as a part of the controller could open up some different ideas for games. I would also assume that tells us the minimum level of the camera since Kinect used a 1.3MP camera, but I don't know what you could get away with camera-wise for something like that either.

EDIT: I got a game idea for this. An Ironman game where the controller works as the HUD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNFnytRXsaw

Well, the question was whether I would buy it.

Again, speaking under the premise that I would be purchasing it. I don't really care about spooking casuals or making things get too real. (not that I would want that, anyways)

Thing is, the more realistic you make something, the easier it is to shoot your creepiness factor through the roof. If you, say for example, have a hyper realistic trainer character model making the unintentional rapeeyes at you because you can't get the facial animation 100% nailed you have a HUGE turnoff there. Especially when you're trying to do something like, oh say, situps.

When it's something like Call of Duty you tend to overlook these sorts of things because there's crap blowing up all over the place. Not so with this type of game.

Be careful what you wish for.

What if Nintendo was making a StarFox game in the same vein as Battlefront 3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j81I_-uaOqg), with seamless ground and space missions, and it looked as good as the Samaritan demo?

Me and propably NGAF: twitching on the floor from hype overload

Rest of GAF: But look if you squint your eyes, stay 50 feet away, and reggie farts in an elevator, it looks like a 360 game!! Could be ported to the xbox 360 of course with just minimal sacrifices. Xbox 3 will look 21.7x better because its NEXT GEN! *1000 comparison pics posted*

Redford

aka Cabbie
Thing is, the more realistic you make something, the easier it is to shoot your creepiness factor through the roof. If you, say for example, have a hyper realistic trainer character model making the unintentional rapeeyes at you because you can't get the facial animation 100% nailed you have a HUGE turnoff there. Especially when you're trying to do something like, oh say, situps.

When it's something like Call of Duty you tend to overlook these sorts of things because there's crap blowing up all over the place. Not so with this type of game.

Be careful what you wish for.

Not to worry, because that's not what I was referring to at all.

Art direction can be better without immediately jumping to photorealism. I'm not saying I can quantify what makes art direction good; my initial post was that the execution simply didn't impress me. (which is independent of whatever mothers and their children prefer)

Edit: I understand your point though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom