• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Video-Call.jpg

I meant in games.

test_account

XP-39C²
Do you honestly believe people will be playing Uncharted 25 years from now as they do Super Mario Bros?
I'm talking about what i will remember from those games. Impossible to say what will happen in 25 years, but people still play old consoles today, so i guess this wont change.

StevieP

Banned
I'm talking about what i will remember from those games. Impossible to say what will happen in 25 years, but people still play old consoles today, so i guess this wont change.

As extremely high quality as the Uncharted franchise is, it's not "timeless"
That was my point.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Thank you for keeping the pessimism in this thread down. But I wonder what your subjective x factor looks like. You surely don´t know everything about the specs. But if you´re telling us "It´s not 1,5x, it shall not be 5x", what is it then? 2x or 4 x? Tell us your ideas about that :p Even if you allready told us that some devs feel it looks twice as good. Spill your x-factor, you french tease :p

I´m staying with 3x, will i be disappointed? :p

I've explained my stance about that many times ohhhh :p
And what i know is through a certain prism (third-parties). I have some expectations for first-party titles, but it's just "educated" guesses, i'm waiting for E3 to see what studios are capable of on this system with projects really tailored for it.

And i would add something, sometimes overlooked in this thread: being in front of at least a Xbox360+ software, visually, on the TV, and having between your hand basically a Xbox360 software at 480p, will make an impression to a lot of people. It won't be "ok, that's just a Xbox360 1.2 on my TV", you'll feel differently because you'll be immersed in a dual-content, in the middle of a bi graphical environment, your brain will be overwhelmed in a way.

In the theme park Futuroscope in France, we have a giant Imax movie theater, with a second screen under your feet, it's called Le Tapis Magique

36204093_p.jpg

Let's say you have a documentary about nature displayed on the front screen, showing the horizon, with birds flying, distant landscapes, etc. It's the Xbox 360 only screen, and the main Wii U screen. You could say "meh, the Wii U is equal to the Xbox 360, i'm witnessing the same thing". But now, with this Tapis Magique example, you have literally another view of the same content, a look of the environment beneath you, with little towns, fields, roads, cars moving on it, etc. A different world from the same scenery opens to you ! Even if the visual quality, the image complexity, its beauty, is the same between the two, the fact that another window to it, another perspective, is available simultaneously, changes a lot of things in your mind, how you appreciate/estimate what you see.

Imagine a FPS using the frostbyte engine. On the main screen, a classic shooter akin to Battlefield 3. In your hands, a strategic view looking like a real modern RTS façon Act of War or Command & Conquer. Being in the middle of this display setting, you won't say "hey, it's just roughly xbox 360 BF3". And i'm talking in the worst case scenario where the additional power of Wii U won't have results on the main screen, which is VERY unlikely (competent enough studios will be able to add more effects thanks to a more modern architecture + new graphical features, additional image quality, and other things).

Obviously, it's only relevant if developers use the padlet for ambitious content, and some people will remain cold to this asymmetrical display frame with their mind too focused on one screen. But it's really a parameter to take into consideration when gauging the impression of someone in front of a Wii U unleashing graphics.

There's a new rumor about Wii U possibly getting Cloud storage in 2013. However, the site doesn't mention its source.

- involves the Nintendo Network
- allows for 512 MB of online storage to each gamer
- storage tied to each Nintendo Network profile
- exclusively for save games and player profile data
- launching in Japan first
- supposedly working with Seattle, WA-based Mozy, Inc.to handle this
- source says Nintendo approached Mozy in 2010
- work on the service began in late 2012
- integrated into Wii U channels

http://wiiudaily.com/2012/05/ninten...d-storage-for-save-games-and-player-profiles/
It should be out at launch..thats what I want :(

test_account

XP-39C²
As extremely high quality as the Uncharted franchise is, it's not "timeless"
That was my point.
It is a "new" franchise, so only time will tell. But it is kinda individual, depends much on the memories people have with it.

My point was just that the hardware is often a part of what makes games memorable, even if we dont think about it. So in that regard i agree. But dont you think that playing Zelda in HD for the first time will be memorable for many? :)

I will remember the Uncharted games for their graphics (among other things as well of course). That graphics wouldnt be possible without the hardware. The graphics adds to the atmosphere, which can make the game more memorable.

I agree with this.

The issue I have with a good chunk of gamers is acting like the game itself wouldn't be possible. That's just nutters. The game itself has existed in hundreds of forms.

Good on your for differentiating the graphics from the game. There's very few cases this gen of a game being impossible on the previous hardware. Their visuals a component of the game might have been impossible, but the games themselves are based on existing paradigms.

StevieP

Banned
It is a "new" franchise, so only time will tell. But it is kinda individual, depends much on the memories people have with it.

My point was just that the hardware is often a part of what makes games memorable, even if we dont think about it.

Let me ask you this: would Uncharted have been a shitty game (or "less memorable" if you prefer) if it were made for, let's say, the Wii? Or even the PSP?

Aside from the jawdropping visuals, there is nothing in the multiple Uncharted games that I've played that would preclude it from being on previous generation hardware. Would it still have taken off as a medium-selling franchise without those visuals?

When I say "timeless" games, I'm talking about stuff that, to this day, remains heavily played. Stuff like the original Starcraft still has a massive community. A Link to the Past will likely still be played by many toward the end of the century. Wolfenstein 3D is ported to anything and everything by bedroom coders. Grim Fandango is still in my DVD Rom drive. I don't see the same being true of Uncharted, as well crafted as it is.

test_account

XP-39C²
I agree with this.

The issue I have with a good chunk of gamers is acting like the game itself wouldn't be possible. That's just nutters. The game itself has existed in hundreds of forms.

Good on your for differentiating the graphics from the game. There's very few cases this gen of a game being impossible on the previous hardware. Their visuals a component of the game might have been impossible, but the games themselves are based on existing paradigms.
Absolutely. And i'm not saying that graphics makes or breaks a game just to point that out, i only mean that it can add to the experience (and then being more memorable). As long as the game is fun to play, that is the top priority for me. But i still have fond memories of seeing the graphical improvement from Super Mario Bros 3 to Super Mario World. That was crazy back in the days :)

Nintendo better shows quickly that their new console can makes third parties games successful.
I was just thinking of some games not ported to wiiu cause of lack of resources or some more tendentious excuses.
If it happens now, it can get worse with next gen games. But that's also true we don't know if those particular games are coming at one point.

So will you buy a third party game at launch?

I'm getting AC3 and would get RE6 on WiiU if it comes out.

DS2 can suck it if it doesn't improve the gfx. I'm already skipping the current gen version.

Absolutely. And i'm not saying that graphics makes or breaks a game just to point that out, i only mean that it can add to the experience (and then being more memorable). As long as the game is fun to play, that is the top priority for me. But i still have fond memories of seeing the graphical improvement from Super Mario Bros 3 to Super Mario World. That was crazy back in the days :)
I didn't feel the heat of the generation until I saw those huge sprites in Capcom's X-Men game. That's when I knew I was playing on a truly new set of hardware.

Also I'm really irritated by people acting like in no way shape or form is Assassin's Creed possible on the Wii. Grrrr. The tech of Assassin's Creed and the atmosphere that allows would be impossible. But we've seen the core idea represented on weaker hardware than the Wii. Just without the finesse, the sense of momentum and inertia, or the adaptable collision engine. Which would impact the feel of the game.

But it wouldn't stop the core idea from being feasible. Low poly in comparison? Duh.

test_account

XP-39C²
Let me ask you this: would Uncharted have been a shitty game (or "less memorable" if you prefer) if it were made for, let's say, the Wii? Or even the PSP?

Aside from the jawdropping visuals, there is nothing in the multiple Uncharted games that I've played that would preclude it from being on previous generation hardware. Would it still have taken off as a medium-selling franchise without those visuals?

When I say "timeless" games, I'm talking about stuff that, to this day, remains heavily played. Stuff like the original Starcraft still has a massive community. A Link to the Past will likely still be played by many toward the end of the century. Wolfenstein 3D is ported to anything and everything by bedroom coders. Grim Fandango is still in my DVD Rom drive. I don't see the same being true of Uncharted, as well crafted as it is.
About Uncharted on Wii or PSP, i think it is very difficult to answer this. I'm sure that the game would be memorable, but how much more/less/equal will just be a guess. Kinda like, would i remember Super Mario Bros 3 more/less/equal f it didnt have the map system, or if it didnt have the Mushroom item. I cant really answer this because i have already experienced the game in that way.

I think maybe i worded my point a bit poorly earlier. I'm not saying that graphics will make or break a game. All i'm saying is that the graphical stuff can be a part of what makes a game memorable. You mention A Link To The Past and Wolfenstein 3D. The graphics in these games were amazing for their time, and that still sticks with me today as a good memory from those games. Graphics is far from the only thing, but it can be a factor that makes the game extra memorable.

Just look at the reactions for the Zelda HD tech demo. And imagination of Super Mario Galaxy in HD. People are very excited about this, and i think that the graphical elements is one thing that will make the games extra memorable :)

It is not something that one might think about however. I mean, i dont really think about the SNES hardware power capabilities directly when i think of A Link To The Past, even if i remember the game for its graphics (among other things as well). So in that regard i agree that people dont remember hardware specs etc.. They mostly just remember that the game was/is great.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
And what i know is through a certain prism (third-parties). I have some expectations for first-party titles, but it's just "educated" guesses, i'm waiting for E3 to see what studios are capable of on this system with projects really tailored for it.

And i would add something, sometimes overlooked in this thread: being in front of at least a Xbox360+ software, visually, on the TV, and having between your hand basically a Xbox360 software at 480p, will make an impression to a lot of people. It won't be "ok, that's just a Xbox360 1.2 on my TV", you'll feel differently because you'll be immersed in a dual-content, in the middle of a bi graphical environment, your brain will be overwhelmed in a way.

In the theme park Futuroscope in France, we have a giant Imax movie theater, with a second screen under your feet, it's called Le Tapis Magique

36204093_p.jpg

Let's say you have a documentary about nature displayed on the front screen, showing the horizon, with birds flying, distant landscapes, etc. It's the Xbox 360 only screen, and the main Wii U screen. You could say "meh, the Wii U is equal to the Xbox 360, i'm witnessing the same thing". But now, with this Tapis Magique example, you have literally another view of the same content, a look of the environment beneath you, with little towns, fields, roads, cars moving on it, etc. A different world from the same scenery opens to you ! Even if the visual quality, the image complexity, its beauty, is the same between the two, the fact that another window to it, another perspective, is available simultaneously, changes a lot of things in your mind, how you appreciate/estimate what you see.

Imagine a FPS using the frostbyte engine. On the main screen, a classic shooter akin to Battlefield 3. In your hands, a strategic view looking like a real modern RTS façon Act of War or Command & Conquer. Being in the middle of this display setting, you won't say "hey, it's just roughly xbox 360 BF3". And i'm talking in the worst case scenario where the additional power of Wii U won't have results on the main screen, which is VERY unlikely (competent enough studios will be able to add more effects thanks to a more modern architecture + new graphical features, additional image quality, and other things).

Obviously, it's only relevant if developers use the padlet for ambitious content, and some people will remain cold to this asymmetrical display frame with their mind too focused on one screen. But it's really a parameter to take into consideration when gauging the impression of someone in front of a Wii U unleashing graphics.

And you just made me desperately want a new Endless Ocean game at launch.

36204093_p.jpg

I know your parameters, but nice post anyway. I only wanted to lure you out :p But nothing really new came out of it :(

Personally i want the best of every side. I will be happy if they use the padlett extremly well. But if the power is needed, i want it on the mainscreen, that´s for multigames for next gen ;) I really hope they (3rd partys) use the capabilities of the console, both the power and the padlet and decide whats better for the game.

I know your parameters, but nice post anyway. I only wanted to lure you out :p Nothing new came out of it :(

Personally i want the best of every side. I will be happy if they use the padlett extremly well. But if the power is needed, i want it on the mainscreen, that´s for multigames for next gen ;) I really hope they (3rd partys) use the capabilities of the console, both the power and the padlet and decide whats better for the game.

And as always that is entirely dependent on the success of software. If their ports bomb? You'll get at best the quality of ports the PS3 did. At worst nothing at all.

antonz

And it basically comes full circle to exactly what I said last night. The usage of the tablet makes or breaks the consoles appeal.

Underutilized its an expensive piece of plastic that drastically pulled from potential system power.

Nintendo will make sure to use it for everything but 3rd parties will Wiimote it

BY2K

Membero Americo
There's a new rumor about Wii U possibly getting Cloud storage in 2013.

http://wiiudaily.com/2012/05/ninten...d-storage-for-save-games-and-player-profiles/

igWwRusVvaYec.gif

orioto

Good Art™

I don't know your vision of how people will react to two screens doesn't work for me. The Futuroscope thing works cause it's massive and even when you're seeing at the main screen, you have the secondary in your eyesight to. For the WiiU, it will be one or the other. One in your hand, and one in front of you. It's not the same angle at all. So i really think it will be used in that way, with the player never having to look simultaneously at both screens, but rather doing something else on the secondary screen, while the main screen content is paused or inactive. I mean i really see that more as a practical thing than a "feeling" thing.

Now maybe i don't see very idea it could bring to the table. Scanning things in first person view in a Metroid could add to the immersion maybe. Or using it as a rear-view mirror with motion control (When i put the Upad vertically, and lift it on my side, it display the rear-view). But even in those scenarios, you will never see both screen at the same time.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
IdeaMan squashing Virtual Suits, Haptics level hype and then posting a picture like that as an example...

Actually, it's an idea !

We need an engineer hacking the video stream sent to the padlet, and re-direct it to a 50" LCD that you'll put under you, or above your head.

Now, launch a X Wing vs Tie Fighter Wii U that won't use the touch control scheme, and enjoy the glorious experience of having the distant horizon displayed on your tv, with clouds, tie fighters swarming in your direction, and at the same time, on the hacked additional TV, you'll have a view of the ground and specific locations to hit with your B-Wing !

A real Tapis Magique at home !

And it basically comes full circle to exactly what I said last night. The usage of the tablet makes or breaks the consoles appeal.

Underutilized its an expensive piece of plastic that drastically pulled from potential system power.

Nintendo will make sure to use it for everything but 3rd parties will Wiimote it

No way it's useless if I can play console games in my bed on it.

The rest is gravy.

test_account

XP-39C²
I didn't feel the heat of the generation until I saw those huge sprites in Capcom's X-Men game. That's when I knew I was playing on a truly new set of hardware.

Also I'm really irritated by people acting like in no way shape or form is Assassin's Creed possible on the Wii. Grrrr. The tech of Assassin's Creed and the atmosphere that allows would be impossible. But we've seen the core idea represented on weaker hardware than the Wii. Just without the finesse, the sense of momentum and inertia, or the adaptable collision engine. Which would impact the feel of the game.

But it wouldn't stop the core idea from being feasible. Low poly in comparison? Duh.
Was it that X-Men game from LJN, where you start of as Spiderman? That is the only X-Men game i played on the SNES i think.

The idea of Assassins Creed would indeed work on Wii with no problem indeed. The PSP got an AC game, so that should be proof enough.

NateDrake

There's a new rumor about Wii U possibly getting Cloud storage in 2013.

So work hasn't started on the service yet?

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
I don't know your vision of how people will react to two screens doesn't work for me. The Futuroscope thing works cause it's massive and even when you're seeing at the main screen, you have the secondary in your eyesight to. For the WiiU, it will be one or the other. One in your hand, and one in front of you. It's not the same angle at all. So i really think it will be used in that way, with the player never having to look simultaneously at both screens, but rather doing something else on the secondary screen, while the main screen content is paused or inactive. I mean i really see that more as a practical thing than a "feeling" thing.

Now maybe i don't see very idea it could bring to the table. Scanning things in first person view in a Metroid could add to the immersion maybe. Or using it as a rear-view mirror with motion control (When i put the Upad vertically, and lift it on my side, it display the rear-view). But even in those scenarios, you will never see both screen at the same time.

Oh clearly, it won't be to that scope, but it's similar, i used this example to describe what kind of impressions player will have when immersed in a two graphical content setting, according to people developing on Wii U and making their possible to display something ambitious on the padlet. And for the focusing concern, with habit, retinal persistence, asymmetrical sounds, other things pertaining to how the mind function, etc, you'll experience in those cases a dual visual environment. Switching quickly between a RTS on the padlet and a first-person view from a tank or a soldier on the TV, even if, at worst case, the graphic fidelity of one screen will be on par with an hypothetic Xbox360 version, you'll not feel that you're just in front of a current gen iteration, it will be a superior sensation.

HylianTom

Banned
My "new generation" moment came when I pulled the first shard of glass out of a patient in Trauma Center. Doing an emergency surgery in my living room at 2AM on Launch Day was a very surreal moment - one that I will always remember.

(That game got waaay too difficult after that.. which was the perfect excuse for me to start playing Twilight Princess!)

Bumhead

Banned
Posted this on another thread

DSUQr.jpg

Who would be down for Diablo III U (harhar) ?

It would be DAY 1 for me!

I was thinking about that today. Not for any particular reason and with no real expectation of it happening, just generally.

Would be quite awesome, really, and a pretty compelling use of the touch pad right out of the gate.

And as always that is entirely dependent on the success of software. If their ports bomb? You'll get at best the quality of ports the PS3 did. At worst nothing at all.

That´s the problem Thunder Monkey..... they make shitty games and cast away Nintendo for not selling enough crappy ports. Ok. let´s stop this. 3rd parties fucked up with the Wii, even the announced portfolio of WiiU sounds much better for the launch window, so Nintendo has a chance :)

Red Steel sold a million+ and wii onlys are starving to get multigames and non niche exclusives. Perhaps some PS360 Gamers will get it too, everybody is screaming "Next Gen", yes it´s up to the 3rds and Nintendo promoting them....

Anth0ny

Posted this on another thread

DSUQr.jpg

Who would be down for Diablo III U (harhar) ?

It would be DAY 1 for me!

It would be pretty cool if Nintendo goes after PC games (Blizzard games). The controller really is perfect, and they could appeal to a whole new audience.

orioto

Good Art™
It would be pretty cool if Nintendo goes after PC games (Blizzard games). The controller really is perfect, and they could appeal to a whole new audience.

Yeah that's the kind of thing they need, and the kind of pc port that could look above PS360 (if it's not ported on those ones to). And the tablet would be ideal.

HylianTom

Banned
If they were to do that, I'd want a damn good edition of Civilization. I mean, the pad would be absolutely perfect for city management, exploration of the tech tree, planning battles, etc

GDGF

Soothsayer
My "new generation" moment came when I pulled the first shard of glass out of a patient in Trauma Center. Doing an emergency surgery in my living room at 2AM on Launch Day was a very surreal moment - one that I will always remember.

(That game got waaay too difficult after that.. which was the perfect excuse for me to start playing Twilight Princess!)

New Trauma Center needs to be on Wii U ASAP.

It would make for a brilliant launch game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4_O1_dkUfo

+

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NamSBZYwNM

= awesome opportunity for asymmetrical gameplay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom