• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oddduck

So does anyone really believe quality has to do with games not called Mario and Zelda not selling well on Nintendo consoles?

I mean look at the list of games that haven't sold well on past and present Nintendo hardware.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
Resident Evil: Revelations
Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
FZero GX
Xenoblade Chronicles (The best sales - north american sales - weren't significantly better than European sales.)
The Last Story (Didn't sell great in Europe/Japan)
Disaster (Did meh sales in the countries it was released in)
Sin and Punishment 2: Star Successor
Metroid: Other M
Dead or Alive: Dimensions
Nano Assault
Star Fox Adventures
Star Fox Assault
Star Fox 64 3D
Jet Force Gemini
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Perfect Dark
MadWorld
Zak and Wiki
Kid Icarus Uprising (Didn't sell bad, but sold very mediocre compared to Nintendo's massive advertising and hype behind it.)
House of the Dead: Overkill
Viewtiful Joe
Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes
Metal Gear Solid 3D
Geist
Batallion Wars 2
Bloom Blox
Red Steel 2
No More Heroes
No More Heroes 2
Killer 7
Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars
Dangerous Creatures
Kloana
Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg

Now you have people pretty much expecting Heroes of Ruin to die in sales, and I find it pretty sad to be honest.

Games are declared dead on Nintendo consoles before they even ship.

E3 2002 was a good year for Nintendo it seems, new Mario, Zelda and Metroid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71u2UyRTYiY&feature=relmfu

10 year anniversary can they top it!

I got to attend that E3. Got to play the "big three" many months in advance, I saw Miyamoto up close several times (my friend got to meet him briefly), it was amazing. I'll never forget playing Prime for the first time and going into morph ball mode and thinking "They nailed it!"

Anth0ny

So does anyone really believe quality has to do with games not called Mario and Zelda not selling well on Nintendo consoles?

I mean look at the list of games that haven't sold well on past and present Nintendo hardware.

FZero GX
Xenoblade Chronicles (The best sales - north american sales - weren't significantly better than European sales.)
Nano Assault
Star Fox Adventures
Star Fox Assault
Star Fox 64 3D
Jet Force Gemini
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Perfect Dark
MadWorld
Zak and Wiki
Kid Icarus Uprising (Didn't sell bad, but sold very mediocre compared to Nintendo's massive advertising and hype behind it.)
Viewtiful Joe
Metal Gear Solid 3D
Geist
Batallion Wars 2
Bloom Blox
Red Steel 2
No More Heroes
No More Heroes 2
Killer 7
Dangerous Creatures
Kloana

Now you have people pretty much expecting Heroes of Ruin to die in sales, and I find it pretty sad to be honest.

Go ahead and add Skyward Sword to that list ;)

FZero GX
Star Fox Adventures
Star Fox Assault
Star Fox 64 3D
Jet Force Gemini
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Perfect Dark
MadWorld
Zak and Wiki
Viewtiful Joe
Metal Gear Solid 3D
Geist
Batallion Wars 2
Bloom Blox
Red Steel 2
No More Heroes
No More Heroes 2
Killer 7
Dangerous Creatures
Kloana

Quality games fail to sell on every system. Quality books get pushed aside for teen novelas. Quality movies are destroyed by action blockbusters.
This isn't a new concept or one that is at all unique to Nintendo systems.

A lot of the games you mentioned had horrible (or no) marketing, were from niche genres, or flat out unappealing to most people.
Of course Nintendo enjoys the sales that they get from Mario and Zelda, but they produce a lot of niche stuff themselves.

jrDev

Btw, I lurk, and I have followed BurntPork's post on topics, and I find it ridiculous that some of you guys respond and take him (her?) seriously...

Oddduck

Quality games fail to sell on every system. Quality books get pushed aside for teen novelas. Quality movies are destroyed by action blockbusters.

A lot of the games you mentioned had horrible (or no) marketing, were from niche genres, or flat out unappealing to most people.
Of course Nintendo enjoys the sales that they get from Mario and Zelda, but they produce a lot of niche stuff themselves.

True, but you look at games like Resident Evil Revelations, Kid Icarus: Uprising, and Metroid Other M, and they all had tons of marketing from Nintendo, and still didn't do great numbers.

jrDev

True, but you look at games like Resident Evil Revelations, Kid Icarus: Uprising, and Metroid Other M, and they all had tons of marketing from Nintendo, and still didn't do great numbers.
This really didn't refute his argument plus I don't follow what your are saying...

Edit: if you look at Sony's side their latest Starhawk is doing Terribly!!!! Why do you think so?

Penguin

FZero GX
Nano Assault
Star Fox Adventures
Star Fox Assault
Star Fox 64 3D
Jet Force Gemini
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Perfect Dark
MadWorld
Zak and Wiki
Viewtiful Joe
Metal Gear Solid 3D
Geist
Batallion Wars 2
Bloom Blox
Red Steel 2
No More Heroes
No More Heroes 2
Killer 7
Dangerous Creatures
Kloana

Well one thing I always try to tell people is quality doesn't sell.
Just because you are great, doesn't mean you will excel. How many indie movies don't do too hot, but Transformers and Twilight can get record numbers.

Its the same thing with games. The difference is, I guess with Nintendo their cases are a lot more present because of all the weight that are put on the few titles.

I mean folks talk about "hardcore" games not selling on the Wii, but they fail everywhere for various reasons. But because these are so rare more attention is drawn to them

True, but you look at games like Resident Evil Revelations, Kid Icarus: Uprising, and Metroid Other M, and they all had tons of marketing from Nintendo, and still failed.
I really wouldn't call KI or Other M failures. Both will break a million lifetime sales, which is great for these kinds of games.
Revelations is another story, but it says that people don't want RE on hanhelds. Remember that RE4 has sold a lot on both the Wii and GC. It isn't Nintendo fans that don't want it. It's handheld fans.

botty

Banned

I think all consoles have tons of games that sell poorly on them, but with Nintendo it's a bit more obvious since their games are leading the pack. Where as the other consoles usually have a few third parties dominating the sales... so you can't say things like: "sony games sell the best on sony consoles."

Effect

There were several reason as said but I but this can't be stress enough. I really think this is the biggest of the reasons. Nintendo themselves were guilty of this as well which was just crazy.

Resident Evil: Revelations had no marketing behind it outside of the rare 3DS ad that mentioned it among other games. Capcom actually undercut it with pushing Resident Evil 6 of all things and Operation Raccoon City.

NateDrake

FZero GX
Nano Assault

Star Fox Adventures
Star Fox Assault
Star Fox 64 3D

Jet Force Gemini
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Perfect Dark
MadWorld
Zak and Wiki

Viewtiful Joe
Metal Gear Solid 3D

Geist
Batallion Wars 2
Bloom Blox
Red Steel 2
No More Heroes
No More Heroes 2

Killer 7
Dangerous Creatures
Kloana

All games bolded are games I bought. Will buy The Last Story once it is released in North America. So I did my part in buying these games. :)

untitledchyxe.png

^Looks soooo good with car livery matching U's logo and everything

Edit: And they're even using a very similar color for the forum "link"

A lot of those games had little marketing, were niche, or came out too late when the Wii had already turned toxic for those games. Sometimes a combination too.

Oddduck

So to add to my previous thoughts...if Nintendo released an FZero or Star Fox for the Wii U that were amazing high quality games with tons, and tons of TV commercials, internet advertising, and viral marketing, do you think those games would sell well?

Gaming has gotten to a point where only certain genres or franchises sell....Combine that with the poor economy...it makes people even more selective of the games they buy.

I don't think quality or marketing could help FZero or Star Fox sell that well. There's just not a big enough audience for them.

And I love both FZero and Star Fox and I want them on Wii U.

Peru

So to add to my previous thoughts...if Nintendo released an FZero do you think would sell well?

Yes, if the cover was cool and not a camp mess like F-Zero GX. They need to re-think the presentation and marketing of F-Zero but keep the gameplay and levels.

NateDrake

So to add to my previous thoughts...if Nintendo released an FZero or Star Fox for the Wii U that were amazing high quality games with tons, and tons of TV commercials, internet advertising, and viral marketing, do you think those games would sell well?

Gaming has gotten to a point where only certain genres or franchises sell....Combine that with the poor economy...it makes people even more selective of the games they buy.

I don't think quality or marketing could help FZero or Star Fox sell that well.

I think they would sell within the company expectations. Would they reach N64 level of sales again of 6mill range? Not a chance. We as gamers make our own expectations for a title to sell & when it fails to do so WE declare it a failure, however the company will be happy with the sales.

Linkhero1

My last final is today and I will be a free man. I just wanted to take this moment to thank you all for distracting me this past semester with these speculation threads. I will truly and utterly fail the final because of this thread. Thank You.

Gonna ace that bitch!

I'll be honest, I skipped on F-Zero GX at the time because of all the hype surrounding its sheer brutality. I don't especially enjoy games where I routinely get my ass handed to me. I know this is not only perfectly fine for some people but actually something to actively seek out, but if I'm hitting a brick wall in a game, my enjoyment of it drops significantly and I generally move on to something else.

(Although I bought GX used very recently anyway, so...)

"This is a Beetle"
"This is a Space Pirate"

Thank you! That's very insightful.

I see the lore-writing was saved for much later in the development period

God, I played the hell out of Mario Sunshine. My favorite 3D Mario right behind Mario 64. Just so damn fun to play. I hope we get an HD version on the Wii.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
My theory is that Nintendo will demo Wii U at select Starbucks stores this summer and fall. JumpMan23 saw cross promotional marketing materials with the Wii U brand still intact.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
So I've been away from this thread since Tuesday, doing a new digital drug called Diablo 3 - anything incredibly awesome (besides the Super Mario Sunshine 2 shop which looks awesome) I missed ?

Sorry if I'm too lazy to check the last 30 pages.

Pretty sure that if anything "incredibly awesome" would happen in here, another thread would be made and would still be on page 1!

So I've been away from this thread since Tuesday, doing a new digital drug called Diablo 3 - anything incredibly awesome (besides the Super Mario Sunshine 2 shop which looks awesome) I missed ?

What? A SMS2 shop? God I must see it.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Guys... I hate to tell you this.. but according to the IGN poll thread, everyone was burned by the Wii and absolutely no one is interested in the Wii U.

This thread shouldn't exist.

Izick

So I just checked the link that re-capped everything, and not to sound like a jerk, but why should we trust those people that are giving "hints?" I'm not being facetious either, I'm seriously asking why; are they like people in the media or industry for sure, or what?

I'm assuming you mean the last 15 pages:

#12437: Patent describes using Wii Remote to drag items from subscreen to TV screen

#12597: Speedtree ("the industry's premier foliage solution") evaluation form querying for interest in Wii U

#12685: Slew of rumours involving console box redesigned, black chassis, Nintendo branded HDMI cables, Retro's project being "massive", 0.7MP DRC camera (note: that'd be around ~1024x768 or maybe 640p), voice chat "running perfectly", a lot of third party games coming for E3

#12854: it seemed Acid Ghost was debunked or at least the latest rumors since.. the "concept" art is from a grad student's DA account or something (restated with source in #13584)

#12887: rumoured confirmation of #11911 and a further rumour that games at E3'12 should be playing off a USB Hard Drive

#13361: Name change unlikely to happen due to "I'm smug and I know stuff, ha ha"

#13388: Industry insider has seen something "green and white" relating to Wii U. Subsequent guesses include Devkits, Yoshi, Luigi, Wiifit Plus, Link, Tingle and the likely correct answer: Wart

#13494: Nintendo changing game registration method to avoid consumers buying game → using monetary rewards from game → selling game

#13421: Additional patent diagram views of new "looks more like tilty-sticks" slide pads for 3DS

#13625: Previously missed quote by Peter Moore: "Its online capabilities are really extensive, too, so we’ll be able to differentiate ourselves from the competition more easily with our sports lineup."

#13626: Sega Australia employee's linkedin profile: "Developing downloadable licensed & original IP for… Wii-U"

#13628: "GameStop is already prepared to help launch the first of these new consoles -- Nintendo's Wii U. As it's poised to be the first new machine of the gate, the Wii U will mark the beginning of the new hardware cycle, and GameStop has already devised its launch strategy to take advantage of the eventual spike in hardware sales."

#13640: "update regarding the Wii U trademark opposition in England" (tl;dwr: Nintendo's more or less in the clear)

#13645: "Seems indy studio Empty Clip Studios (Groovin' Blocks) and their RapidFire Engine (multiport) are on Wii U."

#13657: "From the profile of a TT Fusion (LEGO City) Art progammer: 'This is going to be the exclusive launch title for the brand new Wii-U and Wii-2!' … Also, 'only' 34 [artists] working on LEGO City"

Note: I think I'll be re-editing this with the whole list in about half an hour, before I go mostly off the grid for a weekend of corsets, debauchery and goggles. So feel free to link to this post if people ask about news in the last N days.

Guys... I hate to tell you this.. but according to the IGN poll thread, everyone was burned by the Wii and absolutely no one is interested in the Wii U.

This thread shouldn't exist.

Pff, there are only like five of us, each with six or seven GAF accounts. Check the IP addresses of the posters to confirm.

Nobody's really interested in the Wii U. It's just a bunch of trolls, each thinking that they're fooling everybody else.

HylianTroll, I see through your subterfuge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom