• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
Whoever threw the idea out there - about that mystery square on the Wii U controller being a vitality sensor - probably(and unknowingly?) hit the nail on the head.

I'm not one that indulges in baseless speculation, but it turns out that the DRC vitality sensor idea may not be as farfetched as initially presumed. I scanned a few paged of this thread and apparently no one posted the connection, so I guess I'll do it.

(don't kill me if I'm late with this... this thread moves too fast sometimes)

upadsensor.jpg

Seeing the actual sensor(black square pad) within the vitality unit is so tiny, a lot of the bulk(entire top portion) is most likely just for aesthetics and ease of use, with the circuitry housed in the bottom half of the unit. Therefore, what you may be seeing on the DRC, is likely a refined design of the vitality unit, revealing the only area that needs to be exposed - that tiny square "contact pad".

Now, mind you, this is a speculation thread, and this is in no way conclusive evidence, but it damn sure seems more of a possibliity than before. Also, consider how silent Nintendo have been about this peripheral they were initially so excited about. Would they just let the concept (that was in it's completion) die, or implement it in their next system? I guess we'll find out in a couple weeks!

Note: The other "mystery square" next to the power button appears to be a button(rather than a "pad"), and will most likely differ in purpose from the square "pad". I also do not believe it's a sync button as some have speculated, since the red sync button was spotted at the back of the E3 2011 controller. Although Nintendo could have changed the location of the sync button in the updated version, I doubt it's at the front of the controller. If the Wii console and wiimote is any indication of Nintendo's current train of thought, they'll perfer to keep the sync button "hidden" at the back or under a flap, to prevent excessive/unnecessary use. Of course, I could be wrong, but, that's just my take.

PS: While I prefer to lurk, I do follow this thread, and you guys have provided me with tons of entertainment while I wait for E3. Whether by thoughtful speculation, "insider tidbits", digging for clues, or simply hilarious gifs... well done Nintendo GAFers!

That's possible, but wouldn't it make more sense to place it on the side then? Where the palm is in constant contact?

Caramello

Pretty sure the vitality sensor shoots light THROUGH your finger and a sensor on the other side picks up how much light is absorbed by your blood.

That means that you can't just have a contact point. It needs a sensor on the other side.

jacksrb

For those who think the square button next to the power button is a synch button (if anyone does) - you can see that the patent pics still show the synch button on the rear next to the battery casing:

E3 design (synch is red and just below battery casing):
1335519824nintendo-wii-u-controller-back1.jpg

Comparison of the two patent pics:
4cmz9s.jpg
4apsynu.jpg

So, some have speculated that it is a button to switch from playing on the TV to exclusively on the Umote. That is interesting and I don't have any better ideas.

Any other leading theories?

Why is there also a "little square" next to the battery indicator (on the bottom right)?

It also looks like it is missing shoulder buttons.

Portugeezer

Just thought I'd attempt cleaning up the new controller design.

I thought about how the prototype DS had the black going down the system, and thought it might break up the white making the system not look so wide.

I like the grips a lot, so I kept those like they are. There's a touch power button, but that could be an actual button, I don't really care.

Actually, I just thought about it, I kept only one of the mysterious squares. Just imagine that the other one is on there somewhere. It really isn't important for this concept anyway. lol

Here's an animation of how the screen is positioned in the frame.

ucontrolleranimation.gif

Not bad at all. Makes me wonder how an all black controller would look.

After ten thousand years, I can post again!
*kisses topic*

Also, that square is not a biometric reader for a few reasons.

1. It's too small. You have to have more contact points for it to work.
2. It's plastic, and you can't get readings through plastic.
3. That would be a horrible position.
3. That would be fairly expensive.

OryoN

That's possible, but wouldn't it make more sense to place it on the side then? Where the palm is in constant contact?

That wouldn't be a good way to get a good vital reading. You'd need a design where you accurately and firmly make contact with the sensor, hense, the original device being built for index finger placement.

but I also think this "leak" is NOT the new resigned controller its probably the first dev kits they received especially with those start/select buttons shaped like the original GBA (which what Ubi devs confirmed as being the first dev controller they actually received)

I was gonna ask this - how do we know it's the latest(final?) design and not an earlier one?
Was this confirmed anywhere?

Alternatively, could Nintendo still be undecided on which of the two to choose, maybe even handing-out both designs to devs, to get feedback?

I was gonna ask this - how do we know it's the latest/final design and not an earlier one?

Alternatively, could Nintendo still be undecided on which of the two to choose, maybe even handing-out both designs to devs, to get feedback?

This is based on the newest patents, and is likely the final design, since they would have to finalize it very soon.
Plus, it has better features and even new stuff that isn't present in the old desing.

Christine

Seeing the actual sensor(black square pad) within the vitality unit is so tiny, a lot of the bulk(entire top portion) is most likely just for aesthetics and ease of use, with the circuitry housed in the bottom half of the unit. Therefore, what you may be seeing on the DRC, is likely a refined design of the vitality unit, revealing the only area that needs to be exposed - that tiny square "contact pad".

I'm afraid that's not how this technology works. The device shines a light through the fingertip and at a sensor on the other side. Any such device needs to pinch/surround the fingertip in order to function.

Anyone who doesn't watch E3 away from forums is doing it wrong. Wait until after the show to shit out opinions.

If possible, get friends to join you in person, with booze.

Chris B

Is this Matty B00sh?

Name: Matthew Stewart
Role: Staff Writer
Twitter: @MATTYB00SH
Gamertag: MATTY B00SH
Favourite game: Exile (Commodore 64)
About: I was first introduced to computer games at a very early age when my parents bought a Commodore 64 way back in 1984. I still consider it to be the most influential piece of technology in the games industry to date and we wouldn’t be where we are now if it wasn’t for that coffee coloured box of dreams!

I naturally progressed onto consoles with the release of the SNES and enjoyed the usual classics such as Super Mario World, Mario Kart and F-Zero. From there I became part of the Play Station generation, owning the PS1 then the PS2 on which I became a massive fan of the Silent Hill and GTA series. I jumped the Sony ship once the original Xbox was released and in turn, moved onto the 360 which is where I find myself today.

http://www.nxtgamer.com/about/staff/

His bio has since been deleted from the site.

Do you have a link for that info?

Also, I believe that square is just a painted on symbol for the NFC spot. The picture is low quality, but it looks to neither protrude nor indent from the surface.

u got me there buddy, I dont have a link but I remember it clearly from one of the developers interviews (maybe not even Ubi devs) but he says clearly that the first controller they actually received was "a giant GBA"

does anyone remember this ~_~

Tagg9

I would assume that the new "leaked" WiiU pad is not from a devkit, based simply on the fact that it has the WiiU logo on it (a step up from the prototypes at last E3).

jchap

The vitality sensor works like any pulse oximeter: A IR led/detector pair is used to determine pulse and blood oxygen levels by measuring the degree to which light transmits through a finger. It can't work from just one side (light has to go through your finger) and it wont work on someone's palm. /mythbusted

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Threads move too quickly during E3 pressers, and all the comments are dribble, so I usually wait until after the show before discussing stuff. That and I'm too busy posting news on our website.

We've only got one staffer attending E3 this year. Wish I could have made it.

Nibel

Threads move too quickly during E3 pressers, and all the comments are dribble, so I usually wait until after the show before discussing stuff. That and I'm too busy posting news on our website.

Only one staffer? That poor guy is going to have a lot of work..

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
So we get the version with the smaller screen? Rats.

I normally read ever post on a E3 conference thread its always very easy since very posts is a few words reacting to what is being shown or said it does move very fast with like 3-4 pages ahead of you scrolling through but in the end its really a fun time

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Only one staffer? That poor guy is going to have a lot of work..

He's doomed.

So we get the version with the smaller screen? Rats.

Going by the images posted from the patent, I'm pretty sure the screen is the same size. The device itself is bigger, however.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Guys, posting in a thread during E3 is madness! What you do is open up IRC and chat it up with E3 stream window at one side of your monitor and IRC on the other.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
I was gonna ask this - how do we know it's the latest(final?) design and not an earlier one?

I'm not 100% sure it's the final design of the controller

This is what i know for certain, it's some (i guess they didn't tell me everything) of the documented alterations that my sources told me a few months ago that i repeated to lherre:

change of button layout
"bigger" sticks
and another thing

But as explained foreign studios were waiting for months for this updated DRC, it wasn't available for them at least until april included if i'm not wrong. And the TT guy basically said "look at what we got". So it hints toward a recent arrival and may prove that it's indeed the padlet we'll see at E3. Maybe third-parties didn't received it yet, maybe it was the case for TT because Nintendo publish their title. I really expected developers to only be able to see this new padlet at E3 or some days before, like at E3 2011.

I would assume that the new "leaked" WiiU pad is not from a devkit, based simply on the fact that it has the WiiU logo on it (a step up from the prototypes at last E3).

So I take it we've already established this:

upad_ext8ak2o.jpg

is not something devkit-related, connected to the Upad?

Sorry if this was discussed already.

I'm not 100% sure it's the final design of the controller

This is what i know for sure, it's documented alterations that my sources told me a few months ago that i repeated to lherre:

But the thing is, as explained foreign studios were waiting for months for this updated DRC, it wasn't available for them at least until april included if i'm not wrong. And the TT guy basically said "look at what we got". So it hints toward a recent arrival and may prove that it's indeed the padlet we'll saw at E3. Maybe third-parties didn't received it yet, maybe it was the case for TT because Nintendo publish the title. I really expected developers to be able to see this new padlet at E3 or some days before, like at E3 2011.

Cheers for that

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member

That sounds rather stressful, especially considering how crowded the press area is at times. Hope everything works out fine. I would have enjoyed attending this year, but my employer ceased business this month and now I have no credentials to get in. Perhaps my upcoming E3 thread can be of use to some attendees and press though.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
alright, rumors about white and green, is it for game or system itself? Is the rumor for Wii U or 3DS?

Edited: To be honest, I suspect Luigi Mansion 3DS, Luigi Mansion 3DS Bundle, Luigi Mansion Wii U, Luigi Mansion Wii U Bundle or anything with Yoshi?

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
So I take it we've already established this:

upad_ext8ak2o.jpg

is not something devkit-related, connected to the Upad?

Sorry if this was discussed already.

Cheers for that

The cable is directly plugged to a port located in the side of the dev kit. I don't know the type of cable, maybe it's coaxial, maybe it's only exchanging video while the controls are sent through another way.

A new little info, not really important.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom