• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

HylianTom

Banned
I'm glad it's an NFC square. The idea of that screen being scratched by figurines being placed carelessly on it? Ranks right up there with dead pixels on things that would drive me bonkers.

Hey, look, actual info. No teasing, no finger-pulling, no winky emoticons, no future dates to release the info hinted at, just the facts and interesting tidbits to speculate about the Wii U. In a Wii U Speculation thread, even!

Imagine that.

onilink88

I'm glad it's an NFC square. The idea of that screen being scratched by figurines being placed carelessly on it? Ranks right up there with dead pixels on things that would drive me bonkers.

Still gonna have to get screen protectors on the thing, and I have a horrific time with those things. :(

Shiggy

About DRC changes

I wanted to do a big topic dedicated to a list of modifcations i've heard more than a month ago, applied to the DRC we saw at E3 2011, but the recent picture leak scooped me for 2 or 3 points.

There are still 2 or 3 infos not really heard before nor confirmed, that are important.

1 - According to my sources, the screen size is slightly bigger. Less than an inch. The resolution hasn't changed though. So there would be a slight decrease in the PPI.

-> Nintendo warned developers of this several weeks ago, it is not obvious on the picture leaked, which would reinforce either the smallness of this increase, or the event that it wasn't implemented. Anyway, it should be taken into account in the comparisons, gif, etc, made between the E3 2011 DRC and this one, as the screen is not the same, therefore the proportions are not identical. People should not resize the new padlet in regard to the previous one, by assuming the screens could be fully juxtaposed.
-> This size alteration could hint toward a screen type change, we should see at E3 and compare its characteristics, brightness, contrast, overall quality, etc..

I teased this in the thread 3 or 4 I think (1, 2, 3, 4, and others), and answered to someone relaying a rumor that the screen shrinked in size by stating it was strange, etc.

2 - This "new" screen is still not multi-touch apparently.

3 - The mysterious small square under the D-PAD, is not a vitality sensor, not even in a light version, not a touchpad, not a mini pulse sensor as on sports equipment, not a decorative thing, or whatever. This is the NFC sensor.

-> The demonstration of this feature in the Rayman leaked video isn't representative of how it will work, such a use could obviously have bad consequences for the screen if people would put figurines briskly on it.
-> This technology has an optimal range very limited (a few centimeters), placing the NFC chip in the middle of the controller, behind the screen, wouldn't have been good for several reasons (related to the display), and wouldn't be the most practical and efficient choice to recognize, to establish communication without any problems, with NFC tagged objects, and people would have put those very close to the screen with the risk to damage it.
-> Putting the sensor on one of the controller side, is a way to extend and clearly define the NFC range in this zone. When we lay it down on a table, our knees, etc, we can put more practically and safely in this virtual perimeter near the left DRC border NFC objects, some of which being heavy or with edges that could deteriorate the padlet.
-> It's possible, in order to properly recognize the location of the NFC, and to inform people of this feature, that there will be a sign, a sticker, on this square.

4 - The small button near the power remains mysterious for third-parties. It seems it isn't a touchpad, an additional game input, or other exotic feature. It may be related to the asymmetrical setting of the system. Basically, it could allow an instant switch between the TV and the DRC. Grain of salt for this.

5 - As I said, these changes are documented and third-parties are informed of those for months. It appears they just received the updated padlet. This could be due to logistics, manufacturing, delivery, etc., but it's certainly indicating Nintendo spent some time, until rather recently, to tweak and polish the DRC we'll see at E3.

It's a little less sexy than if I had added as planned the switch from slidepads to traditional sticks, buttons layout modification, and the controller shape slightly changed, it would have deserved its own thread in this case, before the picture being leaked :p But it's still interesting, about the screen and especially the mysterious square under the D-Pad. You now know its function for sure.

Thanks!

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Hey, look, actual info. No teasing, no finger-pulling, no winky emoticons, no future dates to release the info hinted at, just the facts and interesting tidbits to speculate about the Wii U. In a Wii U Speculation thread, even!

Imagine that.

hey, nearly all my messages where i disclose infos are like that, cut me some slack, and give me a cookie ! :D

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

AniHawk

Imagine that.

watch back to the future.

Just a thought, if the screen is now larger, that makes the controller even wider than we anticipated given that the area on the sides of the screen is also now wider due to the d-pad and face button re-positioning. I wonder if that affects comfort at all? Hopefully not.

BG-Apologies in advance if this has been covered. Let's go with 2 gig on board, 1.5 for the system, the other .5 for the padlet.

Could developers get creative and tap into more of the padlet .5 memory if let's say they didn't make use of the touchscreen or apps? Basically, what I'm getting at is that developers could use the full 2 gigs of memory if they simply use the padlet's controls/thumbsticks and leave the touchscreen alone/blank?

First the 512MB wouldn't be for the Upad. That's for OS and functions. The image data for the Upad would come from the 1.5GB remaining. So unless the OS is reduced, the system only has the 1.5GB for games. But like mentioned before Ideaman essentially said at least 512MB was set aside in the dev kit. That would hint that the dev kit has more than 512MB set aside. So we'll have to wait and see how small the OS footprint is in the retail unit.

Tsk. I fully credited Penguin for the find.
:(

Don't be modest. We know you did it.

frankie_baby said:
Hasn't the motion plus add on for old wii remotes long ceased production?

This reminds me of something. What are the chances that we will see new control devices in retail at some point officially by nintendo?

We know about these
  1. DRC Subscreens
  2. Motion+ inside Wii Remotes

But what about these items?

1. Wii nunchuck+ (wireless nunchuck)
  2. New Zapper+ (Integrated nunchuck and pointer + DRC connect as seen in WiiU Vid and in patent)
  3. New Balance Board+ with rumble and charging dock (was this seen in a petent)
  4. Drive Force+ Steering WHeel with DRC connect , which is a force feedback Steering Wheel where you can attach the DRC straight onto the front of the wheel to add more controls and customise the actual wheel using the touchscreen.

Mr Swine

Banned
What are the changes that Nintendos new Mario game is a sandbox type of game? A giant world divided into 8 smaller parts where the koopa kids are ruling over and the last area is Bowsers world. I mean that you can run around exploring stuff without knowing that you are limited because of the power of the console.

Hello everyone, I make videos with my family out've boredom in my spare time, and one of the shows I do is called YouTube News, which is about me and usually my dad talking about different subjects. We did a episode on Wii U speculation Thread VI on May 8th and I was gonna upload it when Thread VI went up, and since its close I will went ahead and posted it.

It can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5j5o1a0fjE

Its one of those "you had to be there" moments, but what started as a simple laughing blooper, turned into a entire episode. I was thinking of refilming it, but I figured it matched the crazy people who posts in these threads, so I left it alone.

Watch the whole thing because we actually do start talking about the sixth thread, before we start laughing again. I hope you enjoy the video as much as I enjoyed making it. It was truly a magical video for us to make lol.

I'm still 19 pages behind. Sad about this getting moved to community. (and Burntpork being banned.)

Just a thought, if the screen is now larger, that makes the controller even wider than we anticipated given that the area on the sides of the screen is also now wider due to the d-pad and face button re-positioning. I wonder if that affects comfort at all? Hopefully not.

Not sure as I never used it but I don't think the controller is as big as people perceive it to be in pictures as far as comfort is concerned.

They see it relative to regular controllers and yeah, it's huge but I don't see it as huge when I see footage of people actually using it.

Linkhero1

About DRC changes

I wanted to do a big topic dedicated to a list of modifcations i've heard more than a month ago, applied to the DRC we saw at E3 2011, but the recent picture leak scooped me for 2 or 3 points.

There are still 2 or 3 infos not really heard before nor confirmed, that are important.

1 - According to my sources, the screen size is slightly bigger. Less than an inch. The resolution hasn't changed though. So there would be a slight decrease in the PPI.

-> Nintendo warned developers of this several weeks ago, it is not obvious on the picture leaked, which would reinforce either the smallness of this increase, or the event that it wasn't implemented. Anyway, it should be taken into account in the comparisons, gif, etc, made between the E3 2011 DRC and this one, as the screen is not the same, therefore the proportions are not identical. People should not resize the new padlet in regard to the previous one, by assuming the screens could be fully juxtaposed.
-> This size alteration could hint toward a screen type change, we should see at E3 and compare its characteristics, brightness, contrast, overall quality, etc..

I teased this in the thread 3 or 4 I think (1, 2, 3, 4, and others), and answered to someone relaying a rumor that the screen shrinked in size by stating it was strange, etc.

2 - This "new" screen is still not multi-touch apparently.

3 - The mysterious small square under the D-PAD, is not a vitality sensor, not even in a light version, not a touchpad, not a mini pulse sensor as on sports equipment, not a decorative thing, or whatever. This is the NFC sensor.

-> The demonstration of this feature in the Rayman leaked video isn't representative of how it will work, such a use could obviously have bad consequences for the screen if people would put figurines briskly on it.
-> This technology has an optimal range very limited (a few centimeters), placing the NFC chip in the middle of the controller, behind the screen, wouldn't have been good for several reasons (related to the display), and wouldn't be the most practical and efficient choice to recognize, to establish communication without any problems, with NFC tagged objects, and people would have put those very close to the screen with the risk to damage it.
-> Putting the sensor on one of the controller side, is a way to extend and clearly define the NFC range in this zone. When we lay it down on a table, our knees, etc, we can put more practically and safely in this virtual perimeter near the left DRC border NFC objects, some of which being heavy or with edges that could deteriorate the padlet.
-> It's possible, in order to properly recognize the location of the NFC, and to inform people of this feature, that there will be a sign, a sticker, on this square.

4 - The small button near the power remains mysterious for third-parties. It seems it isn't a touchpad, an additional game input, or other exotic feature. It may be related to the asymmetrical setting of the system. Basically, it could allow an instant switch between the TV and the DRC. Grain of salt for this.

5 - As I said, these changes are documented and third-parties are informed of those for months. It appears they just received the updated padlet. This could be due to logistics, manufacturing, delivery, etc., but it's certainly indicating Nintendo spent some time, until rather recently, to tweak and polish the DRC we'll see at E3.

It's a little less sexy than if I had added as planned the switch from slidepads to traditional sticks, buttons layout modification, and the controller shape slightly changed, it would have deserved its own thread in this case, before the picture being leaked :p But it's still interesting, about the screen and especially the mysterious square under the D-Pad. You now know its function for sure.

Thank you kindly sir. I appreciate the information.

The International Business Times no less!
12.png

Instro

The Bungie contract basically confirms that their new game "Destiny" has a slim-to-none chance of ever coming to Wii-U.

Well it's pretty likely that they were not aware of the WiiU when this agreement was made. Given what happened to the Wii there was no reason to assume anything regarding the Wii's successor power wise, or market wise, unlike the 720 and PS4. As long as the WiiU moves core software then I think its a pretty good chance that whatever this game is will hit the WiiU, assuming it does go multiplat.

Donnie

I've read the PS3 uses 96 MB for its OS and Xbox 360 32 MB, wouldn't be 512 overkill? It seems to be way too much.

Well it might be interesting if any developers here could tell us how big the 360/PS3's OS was in dev kits before the systems were finalised/released.

Izick

Hello everyone, I make videos with my family out've boredom in my spare time, and one of the shows I do is called YouTube News, which is about me and usually my dad talking about different subjects. We did a episode on Wii U speculation Thread VI on May 8th and I was gonna upload it when Thread VI went up, and since its close I will went ahead and posted it.

It can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5j5o1a0fjE

Its one of those "you had to be there" moments, but what started as a simple laughing blooper, turned into a entire episode. I was thinking of refilming it, but I figured it matched the crazy people who posts in these threads, so I left it alone.

Watch the whole thing because we actually do start talking about the sixth thread, before we start laughing again. I hope you enjoy the video as much as I enjoyed making it. It was truly a magical video for us to make lol.

I'm still 19 pages behind. Sad about this getting moved to community. (and Burntpork being banned.)

Yes.

EloquentM

aka Mannny

Imagine that.
He teased this information two hours ago.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
For the screen size increase, it's slight, less than an inch.

So maybe it will go from 6,2 to 6,5

I must say i was surprised by the comparisons pictures, gif, etc, seen on Ace thread, because this change doesn't appear at all.

Hence why i wrote the two possible scenarios: the change happened, it's very small, but it's here, so people shouldn't base their comparisons by juxtaposing the two DRC versions screens

or, it was ditched. But it was a documented, planned, modification, well, according to my sources. If E3 doesn't confirm this, i hope a developer will, when the console will launch, with less NDA stuff, etc :)

OR, third-scenario, the padlet we see in the leaked picture isn't the final one again. I moderately doubt it as my sources told me "yes, it's the controller that received the updates we were noticed about".

Not sure as I never used it but I don't think the controller is as big as people perceive it to be in pictures as far as comfort is concerned.

They see it relative to regular controllers and yeah, it's huge but I don't see it as huge when I see footage of people actually using it.
Right, but if this is true, there are two factors making the pad wider than the version you've seen in footage. I doubt it makes much difference either way though, and the comfort gained by having better-placed buttons and hopefully more ergonomic grips on the back should more than make up for it.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I've read the PS3 uses 96 MB for its OS and Xbox 360 32 MB, wouldn't be 512 overkill? It seems to be way too much.
Not overkill depending on what they've got planned to be running during gameplay.

BY2K

Membero Americo
What's with that article naming and sourcing everybody on the net? They want the Ninjas to kill everybody?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom