• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess my point is, Nintendo doesn't have to worry about the 20 year olds today who play Nintendo. Those 20 year olds grew up with NES, SNES, N64, GameCube, and Wii and they'll always be loyal to nintendo.

Nintendo has to worry about the 20 year olds who didn't grow up with Mario and Zelda.

The 10-13 year olds today growing up on Call of Duty, Halo, Grand Theft Auto, Gears of War, and Madden won't be big Nintendo fans when they are 18-24. They didn't grow up on Mario and Zelda and Miyamoto.

For many of us, Nintendo was a big part of our childhood.

But for later generations who grew up on Xbox Live, that might not be the case. And that's why Nintendo needs to fight hard for younger gamers. Because they'll grow up as loyal Nintendo fans when they get older.

You seem to be forgetting a few things, one most 20-yr-olds likely grew up playing on Playstation consoles, not Nintendo ones, & 2 Nintendo have probably the most important franchise aimed at kids; Pokemon.

I know I'm going to give myself many unneeded aneurysms fretting over this, but it always annoys me when people treat Wii U as not-next-gen. Generations are determined by timeframe, not stuff under the hood. Besides, I'd imagine the stuff under the hood is still going to be your typical generational leap, if not as far as MS and Sony go. I just hope we don't have a Wii situation again, where the technology clearly was merely of the same calibur as the generation before it.

I'm 16.5 years old.
I'm really 22 turning 23 soon
I see. 24, here.

Oddduck

Not to mention, you're forgetting the millions of children who play DS and 3DS. That's Nintendo's gateway drug for its consoles.

You're right on this part. Handhelds skewer to younger age (10 and below) groups. So in that perspective, Nintendo still has an iron grip on the younger market.

But what about 13-16 year old age groups? When I was 13, I remember seeing kids smoking and drinking because they wanted to look more adult.

It's an age group that cares a lot about "image" and what people think of them.

I'll wait a few weeks - BY2K was really hyped about doing it and I actually just wanted to support him with a good OP concept. It would be neat if he could make it. But if he doesn't show just in time, I will post in that thread - thank you!
No need to steal his thread without telling him first. Be patient :)

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
In MY day people respected their elders.
That's a myth. Kids never respect their elders. It takes coming of age to start respecting people older than yourself.

In terms of DCR functionality what would you guys like to see in a Wii U animal crossing?

Maybe you could have your room on the subscreen, and you could arrange/decorate it from anywhere, instead of actually having to go to your room.

It could also be used as a map, so you could see where everyone is at any given moment in real time.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Maybe you could have your room on the subscreen, and you could arrange/decorate it from anywhere, instead of actually having to go to your room.

It could also be used as a map, so you could see where everyone is at any given moment.

fabric designing could possibly become a much less time consuming and potentially a more creative affair.

BD1

Banned
You're right on this part. Handhelds skewer to younger age (10 and below) groups. So in that perspective, Nintendo still has an iron grip on the younger market.

But what about 13-16 year old age groups? When I was 13, I remember seeing kids smoking and drinking because they wanted to look more adult.

It's an age group that cares a lot about "image".

Yeah, but your point was that Nintendo doesn't have the "80s babies" who grew up playing Nintendo anymore and need to worry about kids today who play XBox. But you also admit that Nintendo has an iron grip on young players.

I don't disagree that Nintendo's image is decidedly less edgy than Xbox, but I dont think a consumer electronics product is generational. People will play on anything with fun software.

Oddduck

I always thought Animal Crossing should be something that is pre-installed on the console so everyone has access to it like PlayStation Home. But because it sells so well, that will never happen.

I also feel like there's so much online potential involving communities that hasn't been fully explored with Animal Crossing.

fabric designing could possibly become a much less time consuming and potentially a more creative affair.

That's a good idea too. Make it something like Colors! 3D (maybe not as full featured, obviously), and some amazing stuff could happen.

I'm not really expecting a Wii U animal crossing though. I feel like it's better suited for a handheld, and now that 3DS has perfectly capable online technology, I don't see the reason for making a new console one, at least not in the foreseeable future.

RagnarokX

I was born in 1985; NES is in my earliest memories. My much older brother, parents, and extended family loved playing games like Fighting Golf, Tetris, and Dr. Mario. I have fond memories of Mario 3, Adventure of Lolo, Kirby's Adventure, Marble Madness, etc.

One day in like 1991 I went to some kid's house and he had a Genesis. Games like Golden Axe, I felt, were quite boring, but Sonic had me hooked and I begged my parents for one.

I lived in a 1 console family, so I naturally developed a hatred of Nintendo to relieve cognitive dissonance. Sega made some bad decisions with my favorite franchises that lost them my loyalty, but I still had leftover illogical dislike for Nintendo partially backed by peer pressure as most peers saw Nintendo as uncool. Thus I picked PS1 next generation and followed through to PS2.

Like with Sega before, PS2 was like a betrayal to me. My favorite PS1 franchises had a lot of issues on PS2 and the hardware was pretty cheap. Plus I was more open-minded as I matured. I got a GCN around 2002/03 and got to play OoT after I preordered Wind Waker. Now I'm hooked on Nintendo again. The make bad decisions sometimes, but I value the consistency, quality, and sheer fun of their games. They're very dependable while also not providing stagnant experiences.

I got a PS3, too, as Sony got a few new franchises I couldn't resist.

I'm still kinda shocked that the U is getting Assassin's Creed 3. My suspicion is that Ubi (and others) will be treating it like one of those fabled test games from the Wii era.

Ubisoft was one of the only ones really willing to support the Wii with unique games. Too bad these games were either shit or not very interesting for many gamers.
But they had a lot of great concepts on Wii as well.

Now that they can just port everything, they would be idiots not to.

japtor

I don't really buy this. There isn't anything generational going on with the platforms. It's consumer electronics.

Not to mention, you're forgetting the millions of children who play DS and 3DS. That's Nintendo's gateway drug for its consoles.
Yeah my nephew (...I think he's 8?) grew up with the DS, along with Xbox/360, Wii, and now 3DS. He and his friends play the various Mario games (NSMB and Mario Kart from what I've seen) along with Halo. Some of his friends' parents let them play the more "mature" shooters (CoD and stuff) while I've shown him some Lost Planet and Vanquish. Lately we've played Gunstar Heroes and River City Ransom on Wii VC.

I figure the main thing is game variety across ages. Mario and whatever are great as you skew younger, but the shooters and other stuff need to be there to keep interest in the system as the players get into other genres vs needing to switch consoles for them and leaving Nintendo for only the "kiddie" stuff.

rhoq

Yeah, but your point was that Nintendo doesn't have the "80s babies" who grew up playing Nintendo anymore and need to worry about kids today who play XBox. But you also admit that Nintendo has an iron grip on young players.

I don't disagree that Nintendo's image is decidedly less edgy than Xbox, but I dont think a consumer electronics product is generational. People will play on anything with fun software.

Nintendo should launch an ad campaign where the focus is on the gamers who group up with Nintendo consoles. (NES and/or SNES specifically). The ads could feature adults ranging from their late 20s to early 40s with them playing a contemporary version of a Nintendo franchise they grew up with. They could possibly be playing with their kids and sharing the memories. Call it the "Nintendo Generation(s)". I'd buy whatever Nintendo was selling based on nostalgia alone.

Oddduck

Yes Nintendo has an iron grip on young players, but for how long?

My point is, as generations go by, that iron grip will loosen up.

Handhelds are the holy grail for Nintendo's ability to attract young gamers. But who says handheld gaming will continue to be successful for Nintendo? With the rise of smartphone gaming and tablets, are you 100 percent positive that Nintendo will keep making handheld systems 10 years from now? If the standalone handheld industry goes the way of the dinosaur, does Nintendo lose younger gamers because of it?

This idea that as long as Nintendo has handhelds, they'll always have a new generation of young gamers, is kind of sketchy to me. Because you can't guarantee they'll always make handhelds.

japtor

I always thought Animal Crossing should be something that is pre-installed on the console so everyone has access to it like PlayStation Home. But because it sells so well, that will never happen.

I also feel like there's so much online potential involving communities that hasn't been fully explored with Animal Crossing.
Same here, at least if they never include it it'll be avaiable as a download game so I might stick with it for once. How were sales of the DS and Wii ones?
Nintendo should launch an ad campaign where the focus is on the gamers who group up with Nintendo consoles. (NES and/or SNES specifically). The ads could features adults ranging from their late 20s to early 40s with them playing a contemporary version of a Nintendo franchise they grew up with. Call it the "Nintendo Generation". I'd buy the Wii U based on nostalgia alone.
Hell they kind of did that for the first New Super Mario (and DS lite), just showed the original, then blammo NEW! Immediately recognizeable to anyone that played NES before turning it into the new one.

I'm losing interest in the WiiU Nintendo need to learn how to manage their PR better.

You can't kill off the Wii a year early and have next to no info on what's coming down the pipe.

HylianTom

Banned
Someone mentioned earlier about Nintendo parents who originally grew-up with the NES amd SNES now raising their kids with Nintendo systems.. I see it within my own family. My sister has what I'd call a "Nintendo household," and my sister-in-law and brother-in-law have four kids who regularly get Nintendo presents from us like clockwork. We're all raising these kids to be Nintendo freaks, and you can see it working, from young young age to late teens.

We call it "Nindoctrination." You should see these kids' bedrooms. Plush animals, posters, toys.. it's almost comparable to parents passing-down their religious or political values. I can definitely see parallels.

Meanwhile, there's one brother-in-law who doesn't want our Nintendo presents and has only a Playstation for his kids. When Nintendo Monopoly is brought out at a family gathering, they don't know who half the characters are - poor things!

HylianTom

Banned
Ubisoft was one of the only ones really willing to support the Wii with unique games. Too bad these games were either shit or not very interesting for many gamers.
But they had a lot of great concepts on Wii as well.

Now that they can just port everything, they would be idiots not to.
I don't blame 'em one bit. Heck, as far as ports are concerned, I'll borrow a line from an NBC marketing campaign from the late 1990s: if I haven't played it, it's "new" to me!

Every once in a while, we end-up with a diamond in the rough. This time, I'm hoping it's a decent Assassin's Creed game. Hell, they should consider bringing the others over, too; it can only help their reputation among Nintendo-only core gamers, as far as I can tell.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I'd be quite angry if games that didn't use the DRC in any creative way wouldn't allow me to strictly play the game on the controller as opposed to the screen.

GameE

Why cant people use common sense anymore >_> I am laughing at all the sites that were talking about this like it could be real and someone from gaf debunked it hours ago

HylianTom

Banned
I'd be quite angry if games that didn't use the DRC in any creative way wouldn't allow me to strictly play the game on the controller as opposed to the screen.
That should be a very basic expectation. I mean, that's a huge feature of the system, advertised front-and-center in that first highlight reel. I'm guessing that Nintendo will have some sort of icon on the box for games like this.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Why cant people use common sense anymore >_> I am laughing at all the sites that were talking about this like it could be real and someone from gaf debunked it hours ago

I'm aware it is fake but I'm curious as to where was the post that debunked it is.

BlackJace

To really drive the point home this E3, Nintendo needs to have a congregation of prominent third party figures on stage.

Have Newell showing off Steam intergration, Ken Levine demoing Bioshock Infinite, Cliffy B with his next project etc would demonstrate the serious effort Ninty's giving to cater to every nook and cranny of the market.

BD1

Banned
Yes Nintendo has an iron grip on young players, but for how long?

My point is, as generations go by, that iron grip will loosen up.

Handhelds are the holy grail for Nintendo's ability to attract young gamers. But who says handheld gaming will continue to be successful for Nintendo? With the rise of smartphone gaming and tablets, are you 100 percent positive that Nintendo will keep making handheld systems 10 years from now? If the standalone handheld industry goes the way of the dinosaur, does Nintendo lose younger gamers because of it?

This idea that as long as Nintendo has handhelds, they'll always have a new generation of young gamers, is kind of sketchy to me. Because you can't guarantee they'll always make handhelds.

That's not really what I was saying though. My point is that there is nothing generational about game consoles' install base. Nostalgia is an effective tool at times, but Nintendo software doesn't sell just because of nostalgia. (It sells because it's generally great). My point is that software sells consoles. I only brought up handhelds as a counter argument to your point that Nintendo is losing its younger audience to Xbox.

To really drive the point home this E3, Nintendo needs to have a congregation of prominent third party figures on stage.

Have Newell showing off Steam intergration, Ken Levine demoing Bioshock Infinite, Cliffy B with his next project etc would demonstrate the serious effort Ninty's giving to cater to every nook and cranny of the market.

And then the four horsemen would ride down on their horses and end the world :p

I think they might have different third party personalities on stage, though. They've done it before, and they were mighty proud of having John Riccitiellio on stage last year.

Vinci

Danish
I'm honestly wondering if Riccitello at Nintendo's conference means anything regarding their Wii U support. $80 million for next-gen games this fiscal year doesn't sound like much, especially if you compare it to what Ubisoft is preparing for the platform. Of course it's possible they're filing Wii U under this-gen, which wouldn't be a good sign.

Or maybe all of that is associated with ports... lots and lots of ports.

BurntPork

Banned
Rösti;37640357 said:
Here's a small and rather boring tidbit. I was browsing some PDFs and came across this document from the 9th of April: https://fubonresearch.fbs.com.tw/FILE/17223.pdf

It's from Hong Kong based company Fubon Securities and concerns the Taiwan-based Lingsen Precision Industries Ltd.,. Lingsen has been since 2009 assembling MEMS gyroscope sensors for Wii. The sensors come from InvenSense. Here's what the document says:

One interesting thing here though is that 3Q12 is mentioned for release period. Whether it is the fiscal year of Lingsen I don't know, but otherwise quarter three is the 1st of July to the 30th of September.

Something of note to add to this is that, assuming Google hasn't failed me, it seems that Fubon Securities' fiscal year is the calendar year.

EDIT: Same goes for Lingsen.

HylianTom

Banned

And I know that this isn't very Nintendo-like to be this way, but I'd like to see dig or two at certain other companies.. saying things like, "here at Nintendo, you can rest assured that gaming is always king!" and "We will never lose sight of the fact that you come to us for games" and "gaming is in our DNA. It isn't a side-interest for us - it's all we think about."

It wouldn't happen, I don't think, because I don't see this as something that Iwata would push, but it'd be hysterical to see it happen. (then again, I could see Reggie being a little bit snarky..)

StAidan

That's not really what I was saying though. My point is that there is nothing generational about game consoles' install base. Nostalgia is an effective tool at times, but Nintendo software doesn't sell just because of nostalgia. (It sells because it's generally great). My point is that software sells consoles. I only brought up handhelds as a counter argument to your point that Nintendo is losing its younger audience to Xbox.

Pretty much this. Nintendo's success with the NES (and the Wii, for that matter) stemmed from a game library that quite literally had something for everybody in the family.

I lived through the NES/Gameboy days as a child (I was 6 years old when we got our NES in 1986), but my siblings and parents alike enjoyed "playing Nintendo." Successive Big N consoles never quite achieved that level of appeal (for a number of reasons), until finally the DS and Wii one-two punch came out, and suddenly it was family fun time again. My parents, after a couple decades of not playing video games anymore, were excited as heck to get a Wii.

Back then, I always thought it was funny to see my 30- and 40-year-old aunts and uncles gather around for Dr. Mario tournaments. Now that I've reached that age group, I realize more and more just how timeless/ageless those games are.

As long as Nintendo retains that winning software strategy, they will always have an audience -- and they'll be able to draw in even those people who didn't grow up with Nintendo.

BD1

Banned
And I know that this isn't very Nintendo-like to be this way, but I'd like to see dig or two at certain other companies.. saying things like, "here at Nintendo, you can rest assured that gaming is always king!" and "We will never lose sight of the fact that you come to us for games" and "gaming is in our DNA. It isn't a side-interest for us - it's all we think about."

It wouldn't happen, I don't think, because I don't see this as something that Iwata would push, but it'd be hysterical to see it happen. (then again, I could see Reggie being a little bit snarky..)

Nintendo talked a lot of shit at e3 2004. It's not without precident.

And while not quite the same, there are some parallels to Nintendo at e3 '04 and e3 '12. The aggressive Reggie-fied attitude might return this year

BlackJace

Ninty doesn't know that they are very capable of being badass. Reggie, Iwata, and Miyamoto walking slowly and confidently on stage would send ripples into the crowd. A fearsome theme would have to be playing at the same type as well.

Look at their past slogans too: "Get N or get out"
That's BADASS

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Something of note to add to this is that, assuming Google hasn't failed me, it seems that Fubon Securities' fiscal year is the calendar year.

EDIT: Same goes for Lingsen.

I can't afford to buy a wii in September, dammit.

Thank you.

And g0 Nintendo isn't directly at fault here. They post any and all rumors related to the wii u. it is up to posters on Gaf to determine whether they seem likely or not. Obviously a mod found it likely seeing as he made the thread.

HylianTom

Banned
Nintendo talked a lot of shit at e3 2004. It's not without precident.
You're right.. it's been quite a while since I've seen that one.

But 8 years is a pretty good chunk of time. I bet Reggie throwing-out some one-liners would get a lot of tongues wagging. Especially if one or both of the others have boring conferences..

Ninty doesn't know that they are very capable of being badass. Reggie, Iwata, and Miyamoto walking slowly and confidently on stage would send ripples into the crowd. A fearsome theme would have to be playing at the same type as well.

Look at their past slogans too: "Get N or get out"
That's BADASS
Damn right. They have a lot of reason to be proud. I'm imagining the media calling them "arrogant," and Nintendo not really caring one bit.. it'd be delicious.

Vinci

Danish
I don't want to believe that one of the biggest publishers that even got separate time at Nintendo's conference would completely shit on the successor of the (by far) most successful console of this gen.

Do they even have that many games to port coming out this year ? Do they really want to miss out on another (potential) gold mine ?

Edit:
On second thought, this industry has proven time and time again that no level of stupidity is too high to reach.

Now you're getting it...

lednerg

So a developer in Santa Monica has been showing off the Wii U version of their game to certain journalists in the area this week.

Which wouldn't be happening unless an NDA was about to be lifted this week, correct?

Of course with our luck, those journalists are from a print magazine, and they're just getting extra time so they can get their articles on newsstands during E3.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Which wouldn't be happening unless an NDA was about to be lifted this week, correct?

Of course with our luck, those journalists are from a print magazine, and they're just getting extra time so they can get their articles on newsstands during E3.

Not necessarily. Depends on the clause stated in he NDA. My best guess though is that the NDA shall be released either before or during E3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom