• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

BD1

Banned
1) Price? $299.99

2)  Release date? November 2

3)  Bullshit xbox360-based Multiplier Equivalent? 3x

4)  Nintendo conference surprise(s)? Nintendo smart phone app that keeps us connected to our Wii U/3DS accounts at all times. eShop access, Mii Maker and StreetPass+

5)  Predict Miyamoto's role/costume/appearance context in this year's show. Debuts cross platform NSMB with LBP-style tools for a "World" full of user-created levels.

6)  Any special MS or Sony predictions? MS shows 720 demo to steal thunder

7)  You know we're going to hear some, umm, interesting excuses from third parties.  So.. what'll be your favorite? The console is too powerful :p

8)  Any special E3 plans/arrangements of your own?  Taking off from work?  Dkipping a final exam? Watching from my home office while "working" that morning.

9)  Your favorite bullshit gaming media critique of Nintendo's performance at E3 this year? Too casual

10)  Your own predicted complaint/peeve/angering issue regarding Nintendo's E3 performance this year? conference will be rushed

icBnx8.gif
LMAO, this is so awesome!

1) Price? $299 and $349 (2 skus)

2) Release date? Sept 28th

3) Bullshit xbox360-based Multiplier Equivalent? 4

4) Nintendo conference surprise(s)? Wii U / 3DS cross-platform Pokemon game.

5) Predict Miyamoto's role/costume/appearance context in this year's show. Plays Pikmin on stage

6) Any special MS or Sony predictions? Vita gets a gimped redesign (no OLED or a smaller screen, or both) to sell $50-$70 cheaper.

7) You know we're going to hear some, umm, interesting excuses from third parties. So.. what'll be your favorite? We are waiting to see how the market reacts before committing resources to Wii U development.

8) Any special E3 plans/arrangements of your own? Taking off from work? Skipping a final exam? Will finish work a little early to follow Nintendo conference on GAF.

9) Your favorite bullshit gaming media critique of Nintendo's performance at E3 this year? Some idiot (Pachter?) will suggest Nintendo should allow the iPad to be used as a second Upad controller. Will claim they "missed a trick" and are doomed.

10) Your own predicted complaint/peeve/angering issue regarding Nintendo's E3 performance this year? I'm sure they will spend at least 10 minutes going over the info they gave out at last year's E3.

1) Price? $298.98 (Walmart price)

2) Release date? 10-4-12

3) Bullshit xbox360-based Multiplier Equivalent? Online Scoreboards is the best I'll hope for.

4) Nintendo conference surprise(s)? Playable demo of Smash U.

5) Predict Miyamoto's role/costume/appearance context in this year's show. Miyamoto will come out dressed as the Wii U controller and a lady will walk out with him to show off the touch screen.

6) Any special MS or Sony predictions? Home will come out of beta.

7) You know we're going to hear some, umm, interesting excuses from third parties. So.. what'll be your favorite? Could not port to Wii because they recieved a DSiXL devkit instead of a Wii-U devkit and couldn't tell the difference until they came to E3.

8) Any special E3 plans/arrangements of your own? Taking off from work? skipping a final exam? Will be doing #fromOwn2Pwn leading up to E3 and then live tweeting the press events.

9) Your favorite bullshit gaming media critique of Nintendo's performance at E3 this year? Gaming media will wine over no multitouch on the Wii U.

10) Your own predicted complaint/peeve/angering issue regarding Nintendo's E3 performance this year? No iOS presence.

1)  Price?
$299; new UPads are more like $70-80, Wiimote Pluses stay at the same price.

2)  Release date?
I'm tempted to say November 25, but they probably want the console on shelves before Black Friday, so November 18 is more likely. That's NA release date, anyway; I couldn't hazard a guess as to their plans for Japan or Europe.

3)  Bullshit xbox360-based Multiplier Equivalent?
Who cares×

4)  Nintendo conference surprise(s)?
Nintendo begins to announce Wii Music 2, to collective groans from the audience, when, in the middle of the video, it glitches out, and is replaced by a camera on Starship Mario... featuring "Wiitley". He talks non-stop about how some bloke dressed in red saved him from his ignoble fate to join him on his quest to save some royal fruit, or something. Anyway, he's here to announce Valve is supporting Wii U, starting with ports of the Portal games...

(Yes, yes, I know, "We are not announcing anything at E3." I can dream, can't I?)

5)  Predict Miyamoto's role/costume/appearance context in this year's show.
He's dressed as he ever is, and comes on stage to demo Pikmin 3. He'll also show off New Super Mario Bros. 2 (since it won't be out for another month or two), and probably whatever the Wii U Mario game ends up being, NSMB or 3D or sequel to Mario is Missing! or whatever.

6)  Any special MS or Sony predictions?
MS will show off Kinect stuff and do a Halo 4 blowout. Sony will tout Vita exclusves as hard as they possibly can. Both will show off new IPs, but they won't especially appeal to me.

7)  You know we're going to hear some, umm, interesting excuses from third parties.  So.. what'll be your favorite?
"Wii U? Pfft, not powerful enough. *goes back to developing game exclusively for the less-powerful 360/PS3*"

8)  Any special E3 plans/arrangements of your own?  Taking off from work?  Dkipping [sic] a final exam?
I'll probably read a liveblog of Microsoft's at work, watch Sony's at home, and try to watch Nintendo's at work (since it's only an hour) and make up for it by leaving an hour later.

9)  Your favorite bullshit gaming media critique of Nintendo's performance at E3 this year?
"Why are they even bothering? Apple owned all video gaming the instant the iPhone existed. Nintendo should call it a day and start making iOS games. It's the only way to stay solvent."

10)  Your own predicted complaint/peeve/angering issue regarding Nintendo's E3 performance this year?
Their online strategy will still likely be horribly impotent compared to MS, Sony or even Valve, and I don't think E3 will fix this.

HylianTom

Banned
1)  Price? $299.99

2)  Release date? Sunday, November 18th

3)  Bullshit xbox360-based Multiplier Equivalent? 2.5x

4)  Nintendo conference surprise(s)? Gabe Newell on stage with Iwata and Miyamoto

5)  Predict Miyamoto's role/costume/appearance context in this year's show. Dressed as Olimar in a space suit.

6)  Any special MS or Sony predictions? They'll do sneak-peeks at their next systems, similar to how we got a peek at the Wii U last year.

7)  You know we're going to hear some, umm, interesting excuses from third parties.  So.. what'll be your favorite? "We can't compete with Nintendo's titles."

8)  Any special E3 plans/arrangements of your own?  Taking off from work?  Skipping a final exam? Taking off of work two days, with an option for Friday also in my pocket.

9)  Your favorite bullshit gaming media critique of Nintendo's performance at E3 this year? Not enough of a "next-gen" jump in power.

10)  Your own predicted complaint/peeve/angering issue regarding Nintendo's E3 performance this year? Too much time spent on 3DS amd/or blue ocean gaming,

No Launch Day questions this time around.. but in a future thread?  Yes!

Alrus

Never done this before, time to jump in as we're getting closer to the conference :D

1)  Price? $299.99

2)  Release date? November 11th

3)  Bullshit xbox360-based Multiplier Equivalent? 3x

4)  Nintendo conference surprise(s)? Retro working on something unexpected

5)  Predict Miyamoto's role/costume/appearance context in this year's show. Jeans, Jacket, T-shirt. Talks about NSMB

6)  Any special MS or Sony predictions? Nothing interesting, MS will give half their conf time to a CoD demo and Sony will leak any surprise they could have a few days before.

7)  You know we're going to hear some, umm, interesting excuses from third parties.  So.. what'll be your favorite? Any bullshit about not finding anything "worthwhile" to do with the new controller

8)  Any special E3 plans/arrangements of your own?  Taking off from work?  Dkipping a final exam? Will take a break in my studies to watch it, I have a small final on the 8th so it won't be a problem

9)  Your favorite bullshit gaming media critique of Nintendo's performance at E3 this year? Anything Daemon Hatfield will say

10)  Your own predicted complaint/peeve/angering issue regarding Nintendo's E3 performance this year? I think Reggie never looks like he's having fun while presenting things, it's probably going to be the same this year and it will dampen my excitement... Also they'll have a really cool display that they'll use for 5 minutes then never again.

99%

OaIZs.jpg

1) Price? $249.99

2) Release date? Xmas in Japan, 2013 Elsewhere

3) Bullshit xbox360-based Multiplier Equivalent? 1.5x

4) Nintendo conference surprise(s)? Mario Party WiiU, surprise

5) Predict Miyamoto's role/costume/appearance context in this year's show.

6) Any special MS or Sony predictions? Nothing is getting unveiled.

7) You know we're going to hear some, umm, interesting excuses from third parties. So.. what'll be your favorite? .

8) Any special E3 plans/arrangements of your own? Taking off from work? Dkipping a final exam? No.

9) Your favorite bullshit gaming media critique of Nintendo's performance at E3 this year? No.

10) Your own predicted complaint/peeve/angering issue regarding Nintendo's E3 performance this year? No.

1)  Price? $299
(with a second sku containing a Nintendo branded hard drive for $399)

2)  Release date? The Sunday Before Black Friday, like always (November 18th)

3)  Bullshit xbox360-based Multiplier Equivalent? π

4)  Nintendo conference surprise(s)? There's a spontaneous dance routine with Reggie at the center.

5)  Predict Miyamoto's role/costume/appearance context in this year's show. Space helmet or a leaf on his head, something Pikmin-esque

6)  Any special MS or Sony predictions?

Playstation_F.png

7)  You know we're going to hear some, umm, interesting excuses from third parties.  So.. what'll be your favorite?
"We just didn't have time to focus on bringing our game to the Wii U". We've heard this a couple times already, and I think we'll hear it more. Devs have had a shitton of time to know about the system, and most of them have had devkits for a long time. From what we've heard, porting is freaking easy and can take a matter of weeks even if you're totally new to the SDK, likely far less otherwise. But that won't stop this excuse for many games that are slated to arrive before 2013 but happened to start development before 2011.

8)  Any special E3 plans/arrangements of your own?  Taking off from work?  Dkipping a final exam? The conference is at noon. At work, I put a clottin' sign up on my desk saying "Will respond to your question at 2pm".

9)  Your favorite bullshit gaming media critique of Nintendo's performance at E3 this year?

Not from the media, but:

"Wii U is kind of a special case," [INSERT NAME HERE] said via translator at a press Q&A last week. "The way the player interacts with the device is very different than any other device out there. So if I were to make a game for the Wii U, it would have to be a unique game."

edit: I misread this question because I was prepping post 20008 on the last thread, sorry!

10)  Your own predicted complaint/peeve/angering issue regarding Nintendo's E3 performance this year? "Ugh, why did IdeaMan have to tell us that particular info. It would have been so much cooler to be surprised at what Reggie just said! D: D: D:"

Wolfie5

1) Price?
€349 (give or take €50)

2) Release date?
October 5

3) Bullshit xbox360-based Multiplier Equivalent?
2.5x

4) Nintendo conference surprise(s)?
New triple A title from Nintendo

5) Predict Miyamoto's role/costume/appearance context in this year's show.
Start show with Wii Music 2

6) Any special MS or Sony predictions?
"Next gen starts next year"

7) You know we're going to hear some, umm, interesting excuses from third parties. So.. what'll be your favorite?
It´s a great console and I will have fun playing it (... don´t expect any games from our company though)

8) Any special E3 plans/arrangements of your own? Taking off from work? Dkipping a final exam?
Nope, the time suits me perfect. I will be home and finnish eating my dinner, before the conference starts. :)

9) Your favorite bullshit gaming media critique of Nintendo's performance at E3 this year?
It´s gimmicky.

10) Your own predicted complaint/peeve/angering issue regarding Nintendo's E3 performance this year?
Technical issues.

I predict Miyamoto will come on stage and demonstrate Pikmin 3 and the media will claim he is a genius while the one truly deserving the credit is back in Japan doing all the work.

I wish he would be more involved in game design. :/

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
1) Price? $299.99

2) Release date? November 18th US/ Nov 8 JP/ Nov 24 EU

3) Bullshit xbox360-based Multiplier Equivalent? 3x

4) Nintendo conference surprise(s)? NFC-based Pokemon Action RPG at launch

5) Predict Miyamoto's role/costume/appearance context in this year's show. Miyamoto will present Pikmin, dressed like a Purple Pikmin

6) Any special MS or Sony predictions? MS shows 720 graphic demo

7) You know we're going to hear some, umm, interesting excuses from third parties. So.. what'll be your favorite? "Our body is not ready"

8) Any special E3 plans/arrangements of your own? Taking off from work

9) Your favorite bullshit gaming media critique of Nintendo's performance at E3 this year? Not on iOS

10) Your own predicted complaint/peeve/angering issue regarding Nintendo's E3 performance this year? A lot of "core" info left for post-conference

HylianTom

Banned
Almost forgot:  I wanted to issue a thank you to the mods for allowing this silliness to continue on.  I know that there has been some question around whether it should exist, and I'm happy that it has been allowed to continue.  This has been some of my happiest time on GAF, so it's much-appreciated.

Hey guys, I've only posted a couple of times on these threads, but I always try to follow the conversation. Can't wait to see the reactions to Nintendo's E3 conference (around thread VII or VIII :lol)

1) Price? 299.99$.

2) Release date? 25th of November (and hopefully Europe will get it a couple of days earlier).

3) Bullshit xbox360-based Multiplier Equivalent? 1.333333

4) Nintendo conference surprise(s)? WTF-inducing partnership with 3rd parties, WTF-inducing Nintendo's online community (If it happens, I'm expecting a mixture between Home and the Mii plaza), a new 3DS firmware update and I wouldn't rule out a hype trailer of next Super Smash Bros. with some news characters a la Brawl (If I recall correctly, Brawl was on it's very early stages back then too, so...)

5) Predict Miyamoto's role/costume/appearance context in this year's show. He'll appear cross dressing, as Zelda. "In order to make The Legend of Zelda more accessible, from now on Zelda will really be a man!"

6) Any special MS or Sony predictions? I honestly still think that one of them will reveal their next home console without showing something, so everyone says that Microsoft or Sony "won" E3 no matter what Nintendo does.

7) You know we're going to hear some, umm, interesting excuses from third parties. So.. what'll be your favorite? "We're all big fans of Nintendo, so we're going to wait and try to make something unique and only for the Nintendo audience" (a.k.a. spin-offs and mini game collections once again).

8) Any special E3 plans/arrangements of your own? Taking off from work? Dkipping a final exam? I don't know yet, if I don't have any tests around that day I'll be dedicated to it all day long (I write for Revogamers.net, a Nintendo site, whenever I can).

9) Your favorite bullshit gaming media critique of Nintendo's performance at E3 this year? "Nintendo fails to realize that social games are the future" and "Nintendo killed the Wii U by not letting you to use the tablet everywhere."

10) Your own predicted complaint/peeve/angering issue regarding Nintendo's E3 performance this year? As always, they'll have a really cool title that wasn't announced during the conference but is playable on the show floor. Also, they won't focus at all on eShop games besides detailing how the download of retail games will work.

Almost forgot:  I wanted to issue a thank you to the mods for allowing this silliness to continue on.  I know that there has been some question around whether it should exist, and I'm happy that it has been allowed to continue.  This has been some of my happiest time on GAF, so it's much-appreciated.

Questions? I remember multiple people wanting to kill off the first one and saying we should just wait till E3.

Meet the new thread
Same as the old thread

Yeah, but when we move to a new Wii U speculation thread it's like when Kramer was addicted to coming over to Jerry's apartment, we can't help it. It's an unhealthy but irresistible cycle:

Kramer in The Keys: "Having the keys to Jerry's apartment - that kept me in a fantasy world. Every time I went over to his house it was like a vacation: better food, better view, better TV, cleaner, oh, *much* cleaner. That became my reality. I ignored the squalor in my own life because I'm looking at life, you see, through Jerry's eyes. I was living in the twilight, living in the shadows, living in the darkness... like you."
"Me?!"
"Oh, I can barely see you, George."
"Stop it Kramer, you're freakin' me out."

I was going to post this in the last thread before it was sent off to sea.

I've only been banned once, back in June 2010 during E3 for calling Morgan Webb ugly (in between expressing my opinions on her uh, ahem much loved verbal "skills" she often oh so eloquently displays as a gaming "journalist."). I thought it was excessive but oh well, at least it wasn't for getting into a flame war with someone. I like to think I'm pretty mellow. And that's one of the biggest keys to survival on Neogaf: have a sense of humor, try not to take yourself too seriously and before you post an angry reply to someone ask yourself "Is venting off this steam in a thread that will probably be forgotten among many other thousands really worth losing my posting privileges? Will anybody remember or even care about this argument years later?" Just my two Abe Lincolns.

Bagu

When Nintendo finally pulls out the Pokemon NFC figurines, I really hope they're high quality work. Can't have these cheap looking/feeling things can we.

nickcv

1) Price? $299.99

2)  Release date? September 21

3)  Bullshit xbox360-based Multiplier Equivalent? 4x

4)  Nintendo conference surprise(s)? Communities will be system wide supported and every single game will be able to have them without much programming from the dev side.

Communities will feature calendars to organize tournaments and such things, voice chat and leaderboards.

Being system wide you'll be able to check your main calendar where all your communities calendar events will show up.
Same thing for the leaderboards

You will be able to also add any user of your community to your friend list.
Friend can have two possible status: Friend / IRL Friend.
you will be able through the wii to send direct private messages to your IRL Friends facebook and twitter account (as long as they have those data in their accounts).

You'll be able to filter calendars and leaderboards to just see things related to people in your friend list or your IRL friends

5)  Predict Miyamoto's role/costume/appearance context in this year's show. being this Kirby anniversary i fully expect some kind of kirby costume

6)  Any special MS or Sony predictions? MS shows 720 demo to steal thunder. Most of the 720 features demoed will not be about games.

7)  You know we're going to hear some, umm, interesting excuses from third parties.  So.. what'll be your favorite? tablets are young kids favorite gadget... how can we develop our matoor games for a console with such periferal?

8)  Any special E3 plans/arrangements of your own?  Taking off from work?  Dkipping a final exam? Taking off from work!!!

9)  Your favorite bullshit gaming media critique of Nintendo's performance at E3 this year? They showed too many things, i think they lost their focus

10)  Your own predicted complaint/peeve/angering issue regarding Nintendo's E3 performance this year? where are my 3DS announcements? stupid nintendo

HylianTom

Banned
Questions? I remember multiple people wanting to kill off the first one and saying we should just wait till E3.
Yup. And it still pops-up from time to time.

Despite the silliness-to-seriousness ratio found within, there's still plenty to be learned here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom