• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpmurphy

Niro's post reminded me of this:
Stumpokapow said:
it's worth noting that we do often prune off people who seem a little overly emotionally invested in stuff before big conferences like E3 or TGS/Nintendo in order to minimize the number of meltdowns and rage flameouts.

especially if they are people sniping at each other :p
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=30709089&postcount=430

So yeah, control your orgasms, lads and ladies and laddies.

snesfreak

Banned
This is actually the only place I've ever been banned at.
I've publicly called out mods on another forum for giving certain members special treatment and not gotten banned.

DeMatador

Neo Member
I was going to wait until E3 to post this, but since we're on the topic, I might as well now. This is a bit more thrown together though since I'm on time constraints.

So, in general, our goal is to defuse console wars before they start by leaving posters who behave well to serve as a shining examples for others to follow. The road to E3 is one of the most effective times to do this as most console war topics actually spawn out of this event, and really, it just makes the forum a significantly less fun place to be if it consists entirely of people bickering over their favored game platforms.

As such, there is a concerted effort to try and get out ahead of the event by looking over console war threads and making it clear that all the rules in the FAQ still apply even if you really hate the opinion that other person has about a certain platform, company, and/or game.

Now, given the number of threads we have went through, chances are that if you're still here you are most likely doing something right, or at minimum, not doing something wrong enough to get banned. We are generally more sensitive to lighter infractions around this time, but since most of you are still here, this means that most of you understand what good and/or acceptable posting is and have no problems following directions. I'm not guaranteeing that's the case for everyone, since quite frankly I barely come to this thread and am not entirely sure who posts in it, but hey, the odds honestly are significantly in your favor at this point.

Since people tend to be confused however, here are some general guidelines that can help you out.

1.) Basically all the mods really, really don't care how powerful the Wii U is, and aren't at all bothered by other people's opinions of the system. Hell, thinking back, I have most likely played more games on the Wii than any other console this generation, and I really couldn't care what games on the Wii U end up looking like since that is irrelevant to what I will end up getting the system for; namely, to play interesting Nintendo games. What the mods do care about however is a torrent of people angrily, passive aggressively, or disingenuously yelling at each other and degrading the quality of threads because, oh gee, they just really can't stand that someone else's opinion of the system is different. This applies to both sides of the argument, though you likely don't notice members from the other side disappearing because they don't post in here.

2.) Threads aren't always moderated immediately for a variety of reasons. If you see a bunch of people disappear at once and don't see anything wrong in their immediate post history, that's probably because there wasn't.

3.) Moderators don't read every post on the forum. If you feel someone is misbehaving, instead of telling them to "STFU" or going into the thread and posting "Oh GAF is such a bunch of clowns who will come up with anything to troll the Wii U", simply PM a mod. I'm serious, taking the high road will result in you not being banned and quite possibly result in someone trolling the system you like being banned. It's so much more effective than insulting people. The mods who are mostly likely to see your PM are duckroll, charlequin, stumpokapow, y2kev, kabouter, and myself. However, your PM may not be acted upon immediately as we very frequently consult each other on bans to maintain fairness and make sure our policies are consistent.

4.) Really, there should be nothing that isn't in the FAQ that you end up getting banned for. If you do not understand why you were banned and/or wish to protest your ban, feel free to e-mail support@neogaf.com or send @Stumpokapow a message on Twitter. That last one may prove more effective as the e-mail address gets a lot of mail and is only maintained by one person (that person is not me). I can't promise you will actually get a response, but your complaint will be seen, and there is at least a decent chance you will get feedback.

5.) I will add more later, but I currently have to go and felt you should at least get some response here. Remember, our hope is honestly to have a very large and healthy Nintendo community under the stipulation that it consists of people who want to discuss Nintendo games instead of bicker with people who like other platforms.

I will make sure to read the posts after this one before I post a follow up so I can answer any questions you have. Remember, you have the power to make NeoGAF a fantastic place to discuss Nintendo games.

Well, as an aspiring greenhorn NintenGAFer, I must say I find it incredibly useful to read this post on my first day. That's pretty much the definition of excellent timing.

That being said, dully and fully noted, Nirolak. I'm still pretty confused about you, since the first time I read your name here was about you making troll threads and then every single post from you has been all serious, respectful and mod-ish. Eh, goes to show how new I am.

Yes, but hopefully if we follow the guidelines and tips set up in Niroak's excellent post, we won't get too crazy.
I'm not worried about me. I've been banned so many times in so many places, I'm 100% rehabilitated. I figured out the key to not getting banned while still posting whatever I want.

I'm all good with the anti-console war thing but it still feels bad to lose some good quality Pro-Nintendo posters who are just a little too vocal about their love for WiiU

Don't get baited into defending WiiU guys and everything should be fine or the very least watch which threads you are stepping into

That's a pretty good policy recap, Nirolak -- I agree that it'd probably make a good sticky. It's sad to think that some of the bans might be permanent, maybe not where troublemakers are concerned - but certainly where people have just been a bit too... enthusiastically partisan or reactionary. If people write to you / stump as you suggest, dyou think there would be any scope for leeway / leniency - maybe a return after E3 has died down? Or are those kind of decisions typically final?

NeoRausch

... Basically if you're in doubt whether you should post something, don't do it...

Oh, and that! I'm a relatively new member here, but even i typed in some drunken shit...stupid stuff...and re-read it to realize: maybe *hickup* not the best idea since web 2.0 to post. *falls asleep*
and i just cancled the post.

just think befor you post....oh and don't drink and post either....(lol, yeah)

BlackJace

I'm all good with the anti-console war thing but it still feels bad to lose some good quality Pro-Nintendo posters who are just a little too vocal about their love for WiiU

Don't get baited into defending WiiU guys and everything should be fine or the very least watch which threads you are stepping into

I just don't get why people bait. What's the joy in watching someone get upset? We're here to discuss games, not act immature.

HylianTom's "teacher-student" analogy comes to mind, but it's still pathetic to do so IMO.

Luigison

Nirolak's post reminded me of this post I made in a PS3 vs 360 thread way back in 2009:
I have a PS3. I picked it over the 360 for several reasons. First of all it plays my PS2 games and has a lot of media card inputs. Most PS3s don't so this isn't an argument in the overall scheme of this thread, but it was important for me. It plays Blu-rays. Also, I prefer the feel of the PS3 controller, but this is simply a personal preference.

I didn't get a PS3 right away though. I waited to see if Blu-ray would win. I waited for a PS3 controller with both motion and rumble. I waited for enough disc and PSN games I was interested in to make the purchase worthwhile. I waited for a price drop, but ended up making Microsoft pay nearly $200 of the cost which made the purchase a lot easier for me.

There are other things I like about my PS3, but didn't know about at the time. I can't say these things are all exclusive to the PS3 because I haven't spent much time with a 360. The PS3 can play almost all media types from almost any source so I use it with Google PS3 Media Server (PMS) to watch home movies, trailers, and torrents. I like the PSN stores offerings. My 80G drive is full because of this. I've download a few movies, quite a TV shows, and a lot of games. I also like letting my PS3 do folding@home when I'm not using it.

There are also reasons I didn't pick the 360, but I'm not saying I won't eventually get a 360. First of all, the 360 still doesn't have enough exclusives that I'm interested in to justify the cost. I know it has exclusives, but many of those don't interest me. I few of the 360s previously exclusive games have made it to the PS3. Braid being an awesome example. I'm not into first-person-shooters, and don't care for voice chat, headsets, or online gaming in general. Even if I did I wouldn't want to have to pay for it, but that doesn't figure into the equation for me. The 360 used to have a lot of system failures which were scary, but aren't really a problem now.

I'm not a saying the PS3 is perfect, it has it's own faults. The laptop hard drive with proprietary formating makes upgrading a pain. Mine only had 80G which I'm all ready to upgrade this week. PS3s have a fairly high Blu-ray drive failure rate. I've already said this, but it's worth repeating: Most PS3s don't have media card readers and don't play PS2 games. I know this isn't a problem for most, but I like to have fewer electronics that do more. I'm one of those guys who'd pay extra to have a Wii that'd play DVDs, but that's for another thread.

Kangi

Oh, and that! I'm a relatively new member here, but even i typed in some drunken shit...stupid stuff...and re-read it to realize: maybe *hickup* not the best idea since web 2.0 to post. *falls asleep*

I post half as much as I intend to post due to my constant second-guessing about whether or not what I'm about to post is worth it. Typically makes me a silent one in most forums, but I've never gotten in trouble, so something there is working.

I drunk post though. I did it last OT, or was it the one before that. I read it the day after and LOL'd. Probably shouldn't have.

NeoRausch

I drunk post though. I did it last OT, or was it the one before that. I read it the day after and LOL'd. Probably shouldn't have.

Well, joke's on my side. My grammar errors: 100% my fault 'cause i just don't know better. Typing errors: 40% the super small keyboard on my mobille phone / 60% drunk

DeMatador

Neo Member
BURN THE WITCH!!!!

But hand me that stash of his before you do.

And 9 days 15 hours to be precise, if my top-of-my-head calculations are correct, and most of the time they're not.

So seriously, being realistic and on-topic, what I'm looking forward to the most this E3 is finding out what the hell is that original IP Miyamoto's working on. If you think about it, last time he did that, we got Pikmin. So shit's gon be gud.

Neiteio

As much fun as it is getting hyped for E3, it's going to be a sweet sweet release to just FINALLY know the scope of what will and won't be revealed. Like, what is Retro's new game? That is by far the most burning question of all. Like a splinter in the mind's eye!

On a side note, I watched the Upad reveal trailer again recently (from E3 2011) and I'm actually kind of excited to play a NSMB title in crisp, clean HD graphics. The art really seems to "pop" in motion in HD, like the promo assets come to life. I wonder in what ways the controller might enhance such a game, other than the already advertised away-from-TV play.

NeoRausch

If that MII-Hub World shit is going to happen on wii u all of you guys owe me something. I posted it like 8 billion nintimes and nobody responded.
not gonna happen...i know. I just like my idea.... :(

HylianTom

Banned
Be careful with your posts guys.

Indeed.

I don't want to lose any more people. But every time something happens to someone, I come out and say this, and someone still acts in a way that gets them banned. Kinda depressing.

And Nirolak, I really appreciate your clarification post.

Indeed.

I don't want to lose any more people. But every time something happens to someone, I come out and say this, and someone still acts in a way that gets them banned. Kinda depressing.

And Nirolak, I really appreciate your clarification post.

and you'd think no one else will be banned after this was all made clear

smh watch next week carefully

As much fun as it is getting hyped for E3, it's going to be a sweet sweet release to just FINALLY know the scope of what will and won't be revealed. Like, what is Retro's new game? That is by far the most burning question of all. Like a splinter in the mind's eye!

I still can't imagine how Nintendos games will look like with such a boost of power, even after Zeruda tech demo. I'm as curious about Retro Studios as any other studio that isn't making Mario Mii or Wii Fit games.

Is the bandage banned?
He seemed like a needed counter-weight to balance out the Nintendo doom in the latest couple of Wii U threads.

Though, I am starting to succumb to the nintendoom myself lately - I really have no high expectations whatsoever for the Wii U. I'm not even sure it's worth it just for HD Nintendo games, I don't really care about graphics alone - I am interested in better physics/A.I/gameplay.

DeMatador

Neo Member
I still can't imagine how Nintendos games will look like with such a boost of power, even after Zeruda tech demo. I'm as curious about Retro Studios as any other studio that isn't making Mario Mii or Wii Fit games.

That, my friend, is what makes this E3 so magical.

Dammit, I'm hyped again. How the hell are we supposed to kill 9 and a half days worth of time? Posting here certainly isn't helping.

"BE CAREFUL FOLKS" posts always make me chuckle. It's like the guy saying it is professing he's mostly a crappy poster, and feels similarly about the posters that are often around him.

Don't be careful, just don't be crap. It's so fucking easy to do the latter.

HylianTom

Banned
"BE CAREFUL FOLKS" posts always make me chuckle. It's like the guy saying it is professing he's mostly a crappy poster, and feels similarly about the posters that are often around him.

Don't be careful, just don't be crap. It's so fucking easy to do the latter.

Well.. I just suspect that many people around here feel very strongly about certain topics or industry entities; if they don't soften their message/wording/stance when discussing these topics, then it's trouble time. So a gentle reminder goes out. Can't hurt, although I can see how you'd find it silly.

I'm a crappy poster at times. But I usually have a decent "You Really Shouldn't Post That!" filter.

I am a crappy poster.
That's why I keep getting banned.

Well you're not going to get better with that attitude! :p

You've actually got a really easy fix- just don't get so invested in stuff. Take a step back and breath. I'm not trying to say I'm the fucking NeoGAF messiah and a bastion of great posting- pfft, fucking far from it- but that's just my observation.

snesfreak

Banned
Well.. I just suspect that many people around here feel very strongly about certain topics or industry entities; if they don't soften their message/wording/stance when discussing these topics, then it's trouble time. So a gentle reminder goes out. Can't hurt, although I can see how you'd find it silly.

I'm a crappy poster at times. But I usually have a decent "You Really Shouldn't Post That!" filter.
Mine was malfunctioning, hence my last ban.

Neiteio

That Zelda demo was weak, like up-ressed TP with some sparkles thrown in. An actual WiiU Zelda, built from the ground up, will look far better.

Portugeezer

Top secret Wii U info?

1. Wii U is a lot more powerful than people think, a lot more capable than what the Zelda/Bird tech demos showed.

Like the controller concerns (now has clickable analogue sticks), Nintendo also listened to the power concerns.

---

2. Nintendo won't be selling for a profit at launch, they expect to be at least 1 year ahead of the competition and thus powered their machine to not be outdated.

They still expect to be the weakest machine but not by a big margin; they expect less than the gap of the 6th generation systems (PS2/GCN/Xbox).

SPOILERS
this top secret are my predictions

Is this crazy?

Top secret Wii U info?

1. Wii U is a lot more powerful than people think, a lot more capable than what the Zelda/Bird tech demos showed.

Like the controller concerns (now has clickable analogue sticks), Nintendo also listened to the power concerns.

---

2. Nintendo won't be selling for a profit at launch, they expect to be at least 1 year ahead of the competition and thus powered their machine to not be outdated.

They still expect to be the weakest machine but not by a big margin; they expect less than the gap of the 6th generation systems (PS2/GCN/Xbox).

SPOILERS
this top secret are my predictions

Is this crazy?

I think the gap between the Wii U and the PS4 will be equivalent of the gap between the Dreamcast and the PS2.
I'm not sure about the Xbox 8 though, if Microsoft uses a subscription bundle they can cut down the initial price and offer a higher-powered machine at a price that looks low to the consumer (the subscription might even be recognized as a bonus "gonna get the live anyway so whatevah")

Mithos

That Zelda demo was weak, like up-ressed TP with some sparkles thrown in. An actual WiiU Zelda, built from the ground up, will look far better.

That's exactly why I'm HYPED!
If they can make Zelda look like that just taking TP assets, I really wonder what they can do if there REALLY put some work into it.

Neiteio

That's exactly why I'm HYPED!
If they can make Zelda look like that just taking TP assets, I really wonder what they can do if there REALLY put some work into it.
If they can make it look as good as Uncharted 2 or God of War III, that'd be more than enough. However, I don't see Nintendo caring that much about graphics. And frankly, I don't either. (Even as I sit here maxing out Alan Wake American Nightmare on PC.)

Roo

I was playing Mario Kart Wii the other day on my little portable tv with my headphones
and I was amazed by the quality of sounds the game has and I was thinking... how cool would it be if all the Wii U games had 3D/Surround sound on the controller. Where you can tell how close/far players are or what side of the track the sounds are coming from.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dldK-TB9cUw

I'm totally against hackers/cheaters, but it's the perfect example :p

The voices, shells, stars and all that stuff sound amazing.
Here I am hoping Nintendo improves the sound department.

RIP AceBandage, and sorry to the others (incl. Poo). :(

If they can make it look as good as Uncharted 2 or God of War III, that'd be more than enough. However, I don't see Nintendo caring that much about graphics. And frankly, I don't either. (Even as I sit here maxing out Alan Wake American Nightmare on PC.)

Nintendo doesn't necessarily about graphics when building their systems, and they know graphics aren't everything when making games in general, but they seem to always try hard to get the best graphics they can out of their system when they release a big game. Mario Sunshine and Galaxy had amazing graphics, as did Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword (though I wasn't a huge fan of the latter's outside of art style).

Not every part of Nintendo tries to max out the graphics. But many of them do, including EAD and Retro.

Neiteio

I'm sure Retro Studios will deliver a looker, whatever they're making. The original Metroid Prime still looks great to this date, and DKCR has such fantastic art style that I cry tears of blood it's in standard definition.

Portugeezer

I'm sure Retro Studios will deliver a looker, whatever they're making. The original Metroid Prime still looks great to this date, and DKCR has such fantastic art style that I cry tears of blood it's in standard definition.

Wonder if they will limit themselves with 60fps? When you look at the best looking games on other consoles they're all 30fps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom