• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

effzee

I don't agree that consoles will fade away - I think that they won't make jumps in technology we got used to with the past few generations.

Plus hardware and software manufactures are going to learn the hard way what Nintendo has already figured out. Yes more power, better graphics, and high end machines are awesome and there will always be an audience for that (myself included) but the majority of consumers are more than happy to buy a less powered machine for around $200-300 so long as their are tons of games and new innovative ways to play. Consoles are still selling. Games are still selling.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I don't agree that consoles will fade away - I think that they won't make jumps in technology we got used to with the past few generations.
In terms of higher clock frequencies and drastically more memory, we're probably not going to see any larger jumps. However, there are a lot of new technologies emerging starting this year that could advance development even greater than if conventional means of advancement were to be deployed. jeff_rigby made an excellent thread about this today, good sources and good discussion topics: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=473780

It is inevitable that dedicated consoles will slowly be phased out. Maybe not five years, maybe ten years, but it's gonna be a slow gradual process of companies making their money in new avenues that don't need you to buy a $400 box every 5 years.

darthdago

I also dont think that consoles will go away, not as long that there is money in that business.

DREAMTIME:
What I would dream of is a next gen system again with cartridges!
That would be awesome and if Nintendo would market it right even the publishers/developers would be on board!!
There would be nearly no piracy with the games -> means more money!!
The loading times are gone, real Plug n' Play!
Nintendo could even reduce the license costs for them to a minimum level!
I would be willing to pay even 70 or 80 Euros instead of 50 or 60.
Return of the Nintendo Seal of quality (and it's first intention) so that no shitty Sotware releases and all has to have a minimum standard.
DREAMTIME OVER

BD1

Banned

I think the platform holders have different views on the future of console gaming. Well, Microsoft and Nintendo, at least. I have no clue what Sony is thinking anymore. Microsoft wants to own the living room TV as a media hub. Nintendo wants to free console gaming from the TV. It's very East vs West.

I see Nintendo on a convergence path, where the Wii 3 will not even have a console. I think it will be a portable, self contained, digital distribution gaming machine that can easily be pushed to the TV, but not neccessarily required.

Microsoft is going to be a Gaming-as-a-Service hub, that does all things media from one box in your living room that connects to all your Windows Devices.

A truck full of Wii U's is being loaded.

hijacking%20truck.jpg

Saroyan

It is inevitable that dedicated consoles will slowly be phased out. Maybe not five years, maybe ten years, but it's gonna be a slow gradual process of companies making their money in new avenues that don't need you to buy a $400 box every 5 years.

So it will be a $500 ipad every 2 years instead?

You mean they no longer need the plants?
Of course they need the plants. There's no better way to fight off zombies.

ow ow ow stop hitting me ow

Where does this magical gif come from?
Yes, where does this come from?

You guys aren't G4's market, so I don't know why you watch them.
I used to be! Back when they were TechTV... :(

Am I a bad person - watching this with only video, no audio - for thinking this actually looks kind of fun? Kind of like the quirky games you got during the PS1 era, or off of XBLA - not especially high-budget fare, but good fun all the same. Assuming they pull it off correctly, I could be interested.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Looks like Splinter Cell: Blacklist is coming to the Wii-U, to be announced at E3.

We can only hope for Wii-U local play Spies V.S. Mercs. One-to-four mercs on the TV with wiimote IR controls, one spy on the U-Pad. Pure Awesomeness.

Splinter Cell hasn't been good in years. Conviction was the most linear stealth game. Faux freedom stealth is what I call it. Maybe this one will be better.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Looks like Splinter Cell: Blacklist is coming to the Wii-U, to be announced at E3.

We can only hope for Wii-U local play Spies V.S. Mercs. One-to-four mercs on the TV with wiimote IR controls, one spy on the U-Pad. Pure Awesomeness.

Well, cannot really complain about Ubisoft's support.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Well, cannot really complain about Ubisoft's support.

Well they have been a huge supporter since the GCN-gen. Every title they made under the sun that gen came to GCN at one point or another. The only thing that held the Wii back from such support was power (but they still offered ton of unique support), so Wii-U was destined to get everything from Ubisoft again.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
It still seems like Ubisoft is the only major third party to fully get behind Wii U. Hopefully, things look different after next Tuesday.

If not, I won't see how anybody could think we won't have an exact repeat of the Wii third-party situation.

That was a good one honestly!! :))

Yeah follow Apples way release a new iteration of something each 1,5 to 2 years for 500, 600, 800 Euros and have so many "zombie" followers...

Except that vast majority of iPad games play on all released versions of the hardware. It's not a 'generation' thing the way it is with consoles.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
It still seems like Ubisoft is the only major third party to fully get behind Wii U. Hopefully, things look different after next Tuesday.

This is just a complete guess on my part, but I think Activision and EA will be fully on board as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom