• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

MDX

This is what I get for visiting you guys

Blame your god

david-bowie-mugshot-lrg.png

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Random guy comes into IRC, claims to be a Nintendo rep, says Platinum game is coming to Wii U, and people even humour the idea?

You guys. You guys.

wsippel

Banned
Random guy comes into IRC, claims to be a Nintendo rep, says Platinum game is coming to Wii U, and people even humour the idea?

You guys. You guys.
You know, a while ago there was a discussion which independent studios Nintendo might have teamed up with to ensure a comprehensive and diverse lineup, and Platinum was one of the first studios that came to mind. I'd say a Nintendo/ Platinum project isn't really all that outlandish.

Sadist

Well, is Sega done with them? They had this 5 game contract right?

It wouldn't surprise if next year Sakurai announces Platinum as the co-developer for Smash Bros. Wii U.

antonz

Platinum is in pretty deep with Kojima's trainwreck. I don't know if they would have the manpower to create another title alongside. After Kojima showed his talent doesn't extend much beyond Meal Gear style games I am sure Platinum has had to invest a ton into making Rising a real game.

wsippel

Banned
Platinum is in pretty deep with Kojima's trainwreck. I don't know if they would have the manpower to create another title alongside. After Kojima showed his talent doesn't extend much beyond Meal Gear style games I am sure Platinum has had to invest a ton into making Rising a real game.
Then what's Kamiya up to? He's the guy who wanted to work with Nintendo, and he's not involved in Rising even though Kojima wanted him to direct as far as I know.

antonz

Then what's Kamiya up to? He's the guy who wanted to work with Nintendo, and he's not involved in Rising even though Kojima wanted him to direct as far as I know.

The 5th Sega game Anarchy Reigns is likely where the rest of platinum is at and wasn't there strong indication that Bayonetta 2 was in the works before being canned?

Nibel

He must be working on something - Bayonetta 2? Another new IP? Or a Nintendo collaboration since Sakurai was seen at Platinum Games' studio?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

He's working on Project Ogre, which could be Metal Gear Solid 5.

Kojima left his team to make Metal Gear Solid 5 while he made Peace Walker (I think it was). The team shit themselves and felt it was too much responsibility, so Kojima told them to try a side story instead (Metal Gear Solid: Rising). Kojima left to make Peace Walker, came back, and found the team had accomplished nothing of value. Cue Platinum Games being called in to bail them out.

Kojima isn't working on Rising, never was, but he's very involved in Project Ogre. It's an open environment (maybe open world) style game, stealth likely involved, and may or may not be the proper Metal Gear Solid 5.

EDIT: Read that as Kojima. What an idiot.

Kamiya was likely working on Bayonetta 2, or that's what I was told. Seems SEGA has canned it, as part of their "if it's not Total War, Football Manager or Sonic, we don't want it" strategy.

Oh my god.. 5 days. It's gonna fly too. I'm off work tomorrow, and like all of BritGAF I am off work on Monday and Tuesday for the Queens Birthday and Jubilee bank holidays. It is simply delicious that those are the two opening days of E3 this year.

Have any silly rumours / pretend-insiders hit /v/ or 2ch in the last few days?

wsippel

Banned
Kamiya was likely working on Bayonetta 2, or that's what I was told. Seems SEGA has canned it, as part of their "if it's not Total War, Football Manager or Sonic, we don't want it" strategy.
So that leaves him and possibly the whole Bayonetta 2 team unaccounted for. I don't believe for a second that the guy on IRC was in any way real, but I really wouldn't be all that surprised to see a Nintendo produced and published Platinum game directed by Kamiya.

radcliff

Kamiya wanted to work on Starfox. Sakurai was going to work on Starfox but decided to go with Kid Icaurs instead. Sakurai was seen at Platinum ...

monome

Sega may have sold the Bayonetta IP to Nintendo or another publisher.

That said, Bayonetta 2 can be reskinned to suit a new IP, or an existing one as long as a publisher pays for it.

It's clear from the (somewhat)likeness of Rising to Vanquish that Sega does not have control over PG's code.

If PG has no money, no publisher after Rising and shuts down, I'll blame Nintendo for not seing the potential of having a dedicated action-games team.

Woffls

Guys I've been a bit out of the loop. What are the realistic chances of us seeing something from Retro, and what are the chances it will be a launch* title?

*Launch window is also acceptable.

The Facebook tease that Nintendo are doing is genius if they actually reveal a letter or two. They know damn well that for every letter revealed, they get 20 pages in this thread.

monome

dude, come on. come on. come on.

Nintendo needs bullets, they can't win everything with Iwata's bombs, they create fanboys collateral damage.

But, yeah I suppose some of the sexual innuendo would be toned down...or they could release PG's games under their (japan only) black label.

Gravijah

Nintendo needs bullets, they can't win everything with Iwata's bombs, they create fanboys collateral damage.

But, yeah I suppose some of the sexual innuendo would be toned down...or they could release PG's games under their (japan only) black label.

it's not even that. why would nintendo buy the bayonetta ip? they have no relationship with it. bayonetta wasn't even released on a nintendo system.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

Nintendo buying the Bayonetta IP makes as much sense as them buying the Halo one.

Fabrik

Banned
Somehow I doubt any game directed by Kamiya would get canned. 100% sure whatever he's working on will see the light of day.

monome

it's not even that. why would nintendo buy the bayonetta ip? they have no relationship with it. bayonetta wasn't even released on a nintendo system.

they need to spurt interest in the 20/30s male audience.
Bayonetta is the love child of a guy whose sexyness would bring Aphrodite down her knees.

I see a match in heaven, more than Star Fox X Metroid, especially considering the said game was pitched according to our new favorite journalist.

I'm a big proponent of a japanese gaming Zaibatsu in lieu of the current miasm that is slowly killing my fond memories of imported gaming from the 90s.

So if you give me Nintendo X "insert JP third Party" I'll be happy.
Considering Nintendo is quite hands down and they have a ton of cash, acquisitions seem a natural fit in order to remain competitive, rather than keep doing stuff like Last Story that have failed to reach the wider Nintendo audience.

I think PG, in general, would favor a Nintendo buyout more favorably if Nintendo helped them keep their IPs and work on them further. Even if they end up doing Mario Samurai Warrior game.

EatChildren

Somehow I doubt any game directed by Kamiya would get canned. 100% sure whatever he's working on will see the light of day.

Didn't stop Capcom from closing Clover.

SEGA is weird. Their losses in the gaming division have resulted in big overhauls to business strategies. Their current focus is to keep retail titles to big selling franchises: Sonic, Total War and Football Manager (there might be another as well), and keeping other ventures to the digital environment. Anarchy Reigns is already call for concern: the Japanese release is set, but the US/EU date has disappeared. Platinum claim it's still coming, but wont specify when or how.

I'm pretty certain Bayonetta 2 existed and had been in development for awhile. It seems very weird to cancel a big project like that, but SEGA might simply see it as not worth the final investment. I don't actually know if it's been canned or not, but SEGA's silence isn't reassuring.

Hopefully it does come along one way or another.

monome

Anarchy Reigns is already call for concern: the Japanese release is set, but the US/EU date has disappeared. Platinum claim it's still coming, but wont specify when or how.

July 6 according to several Amazon euro sites.
US has no date.

Gravijah got me thinking nobody is probably crazy enough to support a studio whose output consists of chaisaw wielding wrestlers or Domintarix figures...

A sad world, and further proof western gaming is killing some of the creative output Gaming came to offer us...

Soon Final Fantasy characters will have straight cut hairs and canadian beards...

Sadist

Aliens is the fourth Sega "franchise" next to Sonic, Football Manager and Total War.

Btw, didn't know Konami's E3 thing is tomorrow morning.

Fabrik

Banned

SEGA is weird. Their losses in the gaming division have resulted in big overhauls to business strategies. Their current focus is to keep retail titles to big selling franchises: Sonic, Total War and Football Manager (there might be another as well), and keeping other ventures to the digital environment. Anarchy Reigns is already call for concern: the Japanese release is set, but the US/EU date has disappeared. Platinum claim it's still coming, but wont specify when or how.

I'm pretty certain Bayonetta 2 existed and had been in development for awhile. It seems very weird to cancel a big project like that, but SEGA might simply see it as not worth the final investment. I don't actually know if it's been canned or not, but SEGA's silence isn't reassuring.

I don't see Kamiya working on a sequel nowadays. Even if SEGA abandonned them, his game will be picked up by someone else. Kamiya -> Sakurai -> Iwata -> Kamiya X Miyamoto X Sakurai collaboration. lol. Yes I'm drunk.

monome

Aliens is the fourth Sega "franchise" next to Sonic, Football Manager and Total War.

Btw, didn't know Konami's E3 thing is tomorrow morning.

Does the "Alien" partnership encompass stuff introduced in "Prometheus"?

I would bet if Kojima's next game is demonstrable, Sony or MS have the exclusive reveal for their conference.

EatChildren

I don't see Kamiya working on a sequel nowadays. Even if SEGA abandonned them, his game will be picked up by someone else. Kamiya -> Sakurai -> Iwata -> Kamiya X Miyamoto X Sakurai collaboration. lol. Yes I'm drunk.

Well, hypothetically, if someone else wants to publish Bayonetta 2, they'll need to buy the rights from SEGA, or the game will need to be overhauled into a new IP. Unfortunately SEGA owns the rights.

TheChits

Nintendo buying Bayonetta would be megaton

We are getting crazy :lol

That would be...beautiful. I just had my first dream about E3. Nintendo ended the show with a trailer for their big holiday game, which was Super Smash Bros. The end of the trailer had Mickey Mouse and Darkwing Duck. I now want Darkwing Duck in smash bros.

monome

Kamiya had a Bayonetta photo shoot book made.
I think he loves this IP very much, and, excuse my ambiguity, he wouldn't mind to double dip into it.

that said Bayonetta was rumored to have a male protagonist, and Bayo's story is pretty much concluded as regards to the possible (and far from necessary) emotionnal tones of her character.

I'm not the biggest fan of the demons/weapons design, but Kamiya needs to put his touch to produce a great game and he clearly does not favor more neutral design choices.

Since he has already rebooted DMC into Bayonetta, I think he would rather do a bordello sim game rather than make an action game whose protagonist is a alcoholic alien dog who wields swords and guns. He may also choose to support PG studio and simply do what pays, no matter the scratch to his ego.

I'm posting too much, sorry. Hope someone at PG sees the GAF love.

Fabrik

Banned
Well, hypothetically, if someone else wants to publish Bayonetta 2, they'll need to buy the rights from SEGA, or the game will need to be overhauled into a new IP. Unfortunately SEGA owns the rights.

Well when I said "his" game, I thought of a new IP.
If he was indeed working on Bayonetta 2, Nintendo could replace Bayonetta with a realistic-looking Palutena kicking corrupted angels arses :)
We still don't know who is working on MGR so it could be him too.

Nibel

That would be...beautiful. I just had my first dream about E3. Nintendo ended the show with a trailer for their big holiday game, which was Super Smash Bros. The end of the trailer had Mickey Mouse and Darkwing Duck. I now want Darkwing Duck in smash bros.

They should put Darkwing Duck everywhere - seriously, I want good Disney games again. They got such a crazy amount of good franchises..

And I wonder what the hell is written in the NDAs - still no leaks! Nikkei, whattup?

wsippel

Banned

In a way, it might make sense for Nintendo to pick projects like Bayonetta 2 or Devil's Third up and strike co-publishing deals. Cheaper than producing new games, they still get the exclusives, and the original publishers have a chance to recoup at least some of their initial investment.

Anyway, a partnership between Nintendo and Platinum might actually work surprisingly well, because I get the feeling that Nintendo doesn't really care all that much if one of their secondary titles bombs. I don't remember them ever shutting a studio down for being unsuccessful. Maybe they do it for the prestige, to gain "gamer cred", and write the budgets off as marketing costs.

Effect

Nintendo must have put the fear of god into these developers and publishers. It's crazy that we haven't had any significant leaks yet about what is going to be shown. It's either that or there is nothing to to show which would be horrifying.

monome

They should put Darkwing Duck everywhere - seriously, I want good Disney games again. They got such a crazy amount of good franchises..

And I wonder what the hell is written in the NDAs - still no leaks! Nikkei, whattup?

there is ONE BOMBA that has already filtered if you look carefully.
But Nintendo's future rests for a good part on next week's reception to their conference and reveals.

They probably had a number of new Nintendo Ninjas etched from the Yamauchi's testicles wombs of Hell just for the occasion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom