• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm just going with GOG for now but I'll probably get a physical version when they're on sale. I need that map.

I really like Dandelion's new look,much better than TW1,it's closer to what I imagined he would look like from the book.

Yeah, his look is great in 2. Dandelion is fucking awesome.

nemesun

Snuggler said:
I'm just going with GOG for now but I'll probably get a physical version when they're on sale. I need that map.

Yeah, his look is great in 2. Dandelion is fucking awesome.
Seconded.

Salaadin said:
You mean buy a game and then after its in your Library, gift it to someone else? I dont think thats posisble. Gifting is done at checkout :(

Why not cancel your amazon order, get from GOG, preload, and play with us next monday? Or Tuesday if you go with Steam..

Heh...

The reason I've held off cancelling my Amazon order was because I wanted the non censored version, and I was ordering two copies (one for a friend).

However, I think it will be bad for me if I play LA Noire before I play Witcher 2 and there is no chance I will get Witcher 2 before LA Noire if I wait for the Amazon copy to come.

I have spoken to my friend about the Amazon order and will probably be cancelling the Amazon order tonight and then moving my purchase over to the Steam version.

It's more expensive than the GOG version but it has Steamworks, Cloud Saves and Achievements and it's only $3 more than what I was paying for the Amazon one so I'm happy with that.

Will be playing alongside everyone with the Steam version... Although, that's probably going to be on Wednesday because Tuesday USA is Wednesday here - unless Steam starts to load the game on Tuesday for me here. I'll leave Steam open over night on Monday night just incase.

My friend will be buying the retail version from AUS now and that will be available to him on Tuesday... heh he'll probably end up getting it before me now

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
kokujin said:
Not sure if this has been asked but, can you play TW2 in a different language like TW1?

I've read that you can download the polish language pack if you register the game.

Granted you're buying an english version of course. I should give it a try since I've heard the actors are better but I'd miss Geralt's VA.

kokujin

Banned
Snuggler said:
I've read that you can download the polish language pack if you register the game.

Granted you're buying an english version of course. I should give it a try since I've heard the actors are better but I'd miss Geralt's VA.

Darn, I was hoping for German, I like hearing games in German, don't ask me why.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
wilflare said:
do you think the 5830 will fare well in this game?

It looks like it's a good bit better than the 4870, so it should be able to do alright.

Sliver

I'm really worried what this will do to my 4850 1GB...might have to drop some cash to get a new GPU just for this.

Peterthumpa

Whoa, sometimes I think that GAF is one of the few forums on the Interwebz where people actually think before writing something.

In the GOG forums there's an active thread where the OP claims that the game (from GOG) isn't DRM-free at all because future patches will have to be downloaded by using a launcher and will not be available standalone. Now there are people complaining an regretting the purchase.

Call me a jerk but for me there's absolutely nothing related to DRM in this case. Nothing will stop you from copying the install folder and installing a vanilla version in other PC.

Jesus...

Here's the thread's link:
http://www.gog.com/en/forum/the_witcher_2/question_regarding_gog_version_patches/page1

felipepl said:
Whoa, sometimes I think that GAF is one of the few forums on the Interwebz where people actually think before writing something.

In the GOG forums there's an active thread where the OP claims that the game (from GOG) isn't DRM-free at all because future patches will have to be downloaded by using a launcher and will not be available standalone. Now there are people complaining an regretting the purchase.

Call me a jerk but for me there's absolutely nothing related to DRM in this case. Nothing will stop you from copying the install folder and installing a vanilla version in other PC.

Jesus...

http://www.gog.com/en/forum/the_witcher_2/question_regarding_gog_version_patches/page1

That's why it's GAF.

Dacon

Banned
So has there been a PR event where anyone here has gotten their hands on the game?

Admittedly I have fallen behind on news of this game unfortunately.

Psi

felipepl said:

Jesus...

It's not an issue regardless since they said they would update the version you download from their site in the future.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
wilflare said:
I'm stuck between a Sapphire Xtreme HD5830 for $155 (not SGD) or a second hand XFX Reference 5850 for $200

If you've got around $200, get an HD 6870.

Tenck

Yay.jpg

So ready for this :D

Edit: Ewww, terrible quality, but you guys get the point :)

It's also a laptop that was tested :p

EviLore said:
*shrug*, I have the CE + the Steam version coming.

Okay I don't feel so crazy now. The thing is, the more I play of the first game the more I realise that my flatmate would really enjoy it. I'm about to hook my m11x up to our TV permanently and this will be the perfect thing to ween him off the 360 (i.e. it's a story-driven RPG which he can play with a 360 pad).

dino1980

Not to de-rail the thread or anything. But I am just sitting here and thinking over Square-enix big losses for last year that was reported today.

The thing that comes to mind is that the costs for FFXIII is rumored to have cost around 70 million dollars, and Witcher 2 only cost around 8 million dollars to produce. Think what we could have seen in FFXIII if Squareenix had been as good as CD Project Red in keeping the costs down, maybe we would have seen actual towns and villiges in FFXIII.

And on a side note. Witcher webbsite is down for the moment and a new one is coming up on Friday.

http://www.thewitcher.com/tw2promo/index.html

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
dino1980 said:
The thing that comes to mind is that the costs for FFXIII is rumored to have cost around 70 million dollars, and Witcher 2 only cost around 8 million dollars to produce. Think what we could have seen in FFXIII if Squareenix had been as good as CD Project Red in keeping the costs down, maybe we would have seen actual towns and villiges in FFXIII.

That's the thing, they don't need a multi-million dollar marketing blitz to convince people to buy the game. So much of those atrociously bloated budgets go towards just trying to sell people on the game and other things that have nothing to do with the actual quality of the product.

But the PC climate is different. They can create a game on a meager budget and still turn a profit without it placing in the monthly NPD. They don't have to expand their target audience and pander to the LCD.

The game should speak for itself, let's just hope our fellow PC gamers buy this game.

I picked this up on steam before all the censorship nonsense. Despite being in Australia I'm starting to believe I may still have access to the regular version. For starters the version listed does not match the Digital Deluxe edition now listed in the AU store. Furthermore, when I click on go to store page it takes me to the main steam store page. Is anyone else in a similar situation or read anything about this? If true I wonder if there is any implications for accessing DLC later on.

Snuggler said:
That's the thing, they don't need a multi-million dollar marketing blitz to convince people to buy the game. So much of those atrociously bloated budgets go towards just trying to sell people on the game and other things that have nothing to do with the actual quality of the product.

But the PC climate is different. They can create a game on a meager budget and still turn a profit without it placing in the monthly NPD. They don't have to expand their target audience and pander to the LCD.

The game should speak for itself, let's just hope our fellow PC gamers buy this game.

Can we stop the insane reasonings and factor in that the Witcher is cheap because the salaries in the Eastern Europe countries are so low that most Western European/US/Japan companies paying their workers that much would be condemned as slavers?

It's not about "not needing super budgets". It's about "creating a game in a developing country where your budget can buy several times as much the workforce". Look at how FIAT and other automotive companies moved their factories to Poland, and why.
I'm confident TW2 has behind it the amount of manhours you'd need a 50 million budget for in the US.

Jeez. I understand having rose tinted glasses towards developers that please us, but this is almost as stupid as the arguments that Valve is less greedy than most distributors because they sell games (that someone else payed for) for less (at a massively greater profit and with no risk of loss, incidentally).

dino1980

Snuggler said:

I read that the figure around 70 million dollars isnt included commercial costs. But it is a estimated guess on the internet. So its very plausible that the figure is wrong or the commercial costs is included.

Snuggler said:

What ive seen on one big torrent site that has uploaded the DVD, is the huge support of fans trying to get the pirates to buy the game instead of downloading it illegal. I myself bought the game on GOG to support CD Project Red. I havent seen such support from any other company that CD Project Red have shown in the past. Its just amazing how much they did to try and get Witcher 1 to be a bether game.

dino1980 said:
Not to de-rail the thread or anything. But I am just sitting here and thinking over Square-enix big losses for last year that was reported today.

I'd be willing to believe that there's an element of what you're suggesting, but don't forget the vastly different cost of living between Japan and Poland are probably also a contributing factor. To give you an idea, in a study last year Tokyo was ranked 2nd most expensive city to live in:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2010/jun/30/city-costs-living#zoomed-picture

SenorDingDong said:
I picked this up on steam before all the censorship nonsense. Despite being in Australia I'm starting to believe I may still have access to the regular version. For starters the version listed does not match the Digital Deluxe edition now listed in the AU store. Furthermore, when I click on go to store page it takes me to the main steam store page. Is anyone else in a similar situation or read anything about this? If true I wonder if there is any implications for accessing DLC later on.

:\

It's probably just a mistake, they would have had to rebuild the Deluxe edition after the OFLC ruling. I hope.

To further explain, the average salary in Europe is around 2.5k€ (that's how much a worker costs you, and the average is skyrocketed by countries like Germany were both salary and taxes are through the roof, going over 3.5k€ of cost).
My workers cost me (on average) 2.4-2.8k€, for example.

If I move to Poland, where the salaries are the lowest, I could pay my workers 662€ on average.

That means I can get 4 guys at the cost of 1.

Since game development is fundamentally a matter of workforce, it simply means that if I moved to Poland, I'd quadruple my budget, if not more, considering I'm confident Poland has a much lower spread between qualified workforce and ordinary salaries.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
VisanidethDM said:
Can we stop the insane reasonings and factor in that the Witcher is cheap because the salaries in the Eastern Europe countries are so low that most Western European/US/Japan companies paying their workers that much would be condemned as slavers?

I'm not sure if you're responding to my post as if I was suggesting this, but I certainly was not. It's still a simple fact that they don't have the burden of selling a game with a monumental budget unlike the company referred to above us. They can sell to a limited audience and still be successful. I honestly know nothing about EE working conditions but based on my experience over here in the states, it's not a whole lot better. :) :(

I read that the figure around 70 million dollars isnt included commercial costs. But it is a estimated guess on the internet. So its very plausible that the figure is wrong or the commercial costs is included.

Damn, where does it all go...

dino1980

VisanidethDM said:

It's not about "not needing super budgets". It's about "creating a game in a developing country where your budget can buy several times as much the workforce". Look at how FIAT and other automotive companies moved their factories to Poland, and why.
I'm confident TW2 has behind it the amount of manhours you'd need a 50 million budget for in the US.

Jeez. I understand having rose tinted glasses towards developers that please us, but this is almost as stupid as the arguments that Valve is less greedy than most distributors because they sell games (that someone else payed for) for less (at a massively greater profit and with no risk of loss, incidentally).

Edit I read it wrong :)

Hmm that could be the case. Im just wondering why if the costs are so high for Squareenix, why arent they outsourcing alot to China then?

dino1980 said:
Stop the resonings that the game is cheap because of saleries in Eastern Europe.

Next you are resoning that the game is cheap because of cheap labor in Eastern Europe.

Im I reading this wrong?

The post I quoted was assuming that SE wasted a ton of money on FFXIII (apparently on advertisement) when they could have spent like TW2 for the same quality.

If SE wanted to make a game with the assets of TW2 in Japan, then 8 millions would probably not get them past the pre-alpha stage.

Snuggler said:
I honestly know nothing about EE working conditions but based on my experience over here in the states, it's not a whole lot better. :) :(

Well, Poland is the lowest salary country in Europe. As said above, the average salary is 662€ (at least it was last time I informed myself about it). If you consider what the workforce costs in the UK or Japan (probably upwards of 3k€), you can easily see that for a company, developing in Poland is more or less equivalent to having access to legalized slavery. A number of companies in all of Europe moved factories to Poland because of this.

Exuro

VisanidethDM said:
Well, Poland is the lowest salary country in Europe. As said above, the average salary is 662€ (at least it was last time I informed myself about it). If you consider what the workforce costs in the UK or Japan (probably upwards of 3k€), you can easily see that for a company, developing in Poland is more or less equivalent to having access to legalized slavery. A number of companies in all of Europe moved factories to Poland because of this.
So is it just cheap living there or what?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
VisanidethDM said:

Wow, this is news to me. I guess this is why I was confused by the response to my post.

Between TW2 and Bulletstorm, Poland has delivered some awesome games in '11, despite the poor working conditions. Sad to hear they make such a meager income.

Exuro said:
So is it just cheap living there or what?

It's probably a combination of factors - certainly life must be cheaper there, probably the tax rate is kept extremely low to encourage foreign investors and so on, but also being a development country that started from a position of widespread poverty (at least by European standards) has it impact.

I've no experience living in Poland, but I have several friends living there, and I'd say that it's definitely not a nightmare third world country scenario, but in the year 2000, almost 1 person every 4 was below the line of poverty in Poland, and right now it's barely above 1 every 5 (17%).

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Even though I'll probably be able to do High settings, if i'm lucky, I can't wait any longer for this damn game. I was just kind of so-so about it, but this last week has been torture.

Snuggler said:
Between TW2 and Bulletstorm, Poland has delivered some awesome games in '11, despite the poor working conditions. Sad to hear they make such a meager income.

Well, it's a developing country, so probably internally that salary has a decent ratio of buying power. I wouldn't be surprised if those 662€ allowed for the lifestyle you'd need 800-1k in a country like Germany or Italy, but still it's fundamentally abused workforce.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Dang.

I appreciate the knowledge, but the plight of the Polish workforce is better off being discussed in another thread. This is about The Witcher 2.

ANYWAYS, fuckin a man, with the preload we'll be playing it in FOUR days, so excited

dino1980

Snuggler said:
Dang.

I appreciate the knowledge, but the plight of the Polish workforce is better off being discussed in another thread. This is about The Witcher 2.

ANYWAYS, fuckin a man, with the preload we'll be playing it in FOUR days, so excited

Ill be playing it on monday 11PM here in Sweden. Would have been great if it had been a little earlier on the day, but you cant have everything. :)

dino1980 said:
Ill be playing it on monday 11PM here in Sweden. Would have been great if it had been a little earlier on the day, but you cant have everything. :)
I heard that if people play enough of The Witcher on Steam, Valve will unlock the second game sooner :O

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Just pre-ordered my copy from GOG. Downloading it now.

Also picked realms of arkania 1 & 2 as the free game (already owned divine divinity and gothic 2).

MY BODY IS READY WOO. Can't believe it's coming out next week.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom