• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Xenon_

Banned
Nov 27, 2007
2,129
0
920
Carm said:
I finished a quest in Act 2 yesterday morning and still tonight, it's annoying the shit out of me thinking about it. Listen up developers, if you have AI controlled companions with the player, in tight spaces, turn off collision detection on the AI ones for the players, so they can walk right through them. Fuck the three little dwarfs making me reload lol.

The fuckers would either get me stuck or stand in a doorway and be stuck, or stand in a doorway I just opened. I would auto walked through, into the gaping maws of the monsters with no way to retreat back into the original room.
I got stuck in a shack by the river in Chapter 1 because of those "why does he carry 2 swords" little kids. Took me an hour to figure out how to get out of there: mediate into midnight.
 

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Dec 15, 2008
39,516
0
730
34
nowhere
www.neogaf.com
Just finished this. What a game.

Chapter 3 wasn't bad by any means, but it didn't stack up to chapters 1 & 2 in the sense that it was so damn short. But still, it was some heavy shit and I made some major decisions and saw the consequences of those I made before.

Fuck, this game was good. Most of my complaints are minor. I would have liked to be able to tweak graphics and the controls without quitting the game, kind of silly I had to use the launcher for that. There were some minor interface issues, like how you had to re-engage an NPC to go from crafting to selling or to play Dice again. Or how you couldn't compare your items to those that a merchant was selling. There were lots of smaller things that could have been improved, but nothing big enough to detract from the experience.

The combat, for the most part, kicked ass. Typically combat in an action RPG is an after thought, either mindless filler or some half baked idea that you have to tolerate for the whole game. This was not the case in TW2. It seemed difficult at first, but really, it just forced me to think beyond my blades and use all of the signs, traps, and bombs I had. I had some issues with the unreliable targeting and the sometimes unbalanced scenarios but overall it was a positive, which is damn near unprecedented for an action RPG.

The story, which I'll post about in the spoiler thread, was fucking great. I'm so used to by the numbers Bioware drek, but the sometimes hilarious and always quality dialog and the choices were fantastic. The choices actually had an impact, and they were seriously tough at times, no petty color coded bullshit. And it's probably the most quotable game I've played, the dialog/story writer deserves a lot of praise.

Aside from a few niggling issues and the rushed final chapter, it is an incredible game. Without a doubt, one of the best I've played. I just hope that CDPR will release a bonus expansion chapter that ties up all the loose ends that I've been left with.
 

EternalGamer

Banned
Nov 6, 2006
4,455
0
0
Crunched said:
Very poor choice. GPU is not a gaming card.

You could build a much more powerful gaming machine for that price or cheaper.

Even paying someone to build a rig for you, you could get a machine to just about max out W2, minus ubersampling, for the same price BB is asking for that PC.
True, but if he really doesnt want to build his own, that Best Buy deal would result in a good machine to run the game IF he was willing to buy a better graphics card and pop it in.

One thing about this he should keep in mind, though: DO NOT buy a graphics card from Best Buy, you will get hugely ripped off and the card you get is likely to be old.

If he is willing to Spend $100, he could get a Radeon 6770 (or 5770--same card different name) to put in it and it would run Witcher 2 pretty great with that processor and RAM. Not highest settings, but very good medium settings and at a good frame rate. It would also be upgradable later by simply adding a second 6770 for Crossfire.

If he were willing to spend around $150, he could throw a Radeon 6850 in there, it would probably run it at almost maxed specs sans uber sampling at a solid framerate (I know this because I have a quad core with a 6870, the 6750's big brother, and I run almost everything turned all the way up at a pretty constant 55-60 frames per second. This too would be upgradable to a second card later to make a very, very powerful machine.

These are New Egg prices of course. Best Buy would add at least a hundred bucks to either card.
 

Revolutionary

Member
Sep 13, 2007
20,305
3,240
1,425
Brooklyn, NY
Is there another harpy nest area in Chapter 2 that I'm unaware of? I've destroyed 4 nests thus far at the quarry, but now the harpies are refusing to pick the traps up. What gives?

Also, my Geralt has been with the Lady of the Lake, vampires, The Queen of the Night, and now
a succubus
. Sweet.
 

leng jai

Member
Jan 20, 2009
13,847
16
990
Carm said:
I finished a quest in Act 2 yesterday morning and still tonight, it's annoying the shit out of me thinking about it. Listen up developers, if you have AI controlled companions with the player, in tight spaces, turn off collision detection on the AI ones for the players, so they can walk right through them. Fuck the three little dwarfs making me reload lol.

The fuckers would either get me stuck or stand in a doorway and be stuck, or stand in a doorway I just opened. I would auto walked through, into the gaping maws of the monsters with no way to retreat back into the original room.
Fuck that area was frustrating. Just did it and those little fuckers blocked me to my death on several occasions.
 

_Xenon_

Banned
Nov 27, 2007
2,129
0
920
Revolutionary said:
Is there another harpy nest area in Chapter 2 that I'm unaware of? I've destroyed 4 nests thus far at the quarry, but now the harpies are refusing to pick the traps up. What gives?
Go for the "hunt for magic" quest instead. Eventually a new area will be unlocked and you can get the rest 3 there.
 

jim-jam bongs

Member
Dec 5, 2008
20,458
0
935
Emerald City
Revolutionary said:
Is there another harpy nest area in Chapter 2 that I'm unaware of? I've destroyed 4 nests thus far at the quarry, but now the harpies are refusing to pick the traps up. What gives?

Also, my Geralt has been with the Lady of the Lake, vampires, The Queen of the Night, and now
a succubus
. Sweet.
Hey you ploughed the lady of the lake? Damn. She gave me her sword but never let me give her mine.
 

MickeyKnox

Member
Jul 21, 2006
11,816
1
1,040
New York City
www.inkandpressure.com
SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

MY


BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLSSS



YOU FUCKING FUCK.



THAAAAAT'S RIGHT.



FUCKING DR. DOOM WANNABE.






Took fucking forever, then I tried cheesing him from the stairs before the dialogue comes up, it worked but it didn't fucking matter since the dialogue scene RE-SPAWNS him. But I was victorious!

And rewarded twice.
 

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
May 6, 2006
7,344
0
1,280
32
jim-jam bongs said:
Hey you ploughed the lady of the lake? Damn. She gave me her sword but never let me give her mine.

You gotta let her know how sweet her ass is before she lets you have your way with it. Not even kidding.
 

Wallach

Member
Jun 26, 2008
29,846
1
0
jim-jam bongs said:
Hey you ploughed the lady of the lake? Damn. She gave me her sword but never let me give her mine.
Noob. Though you know she couldn't have smelled very good. Just sayin'.
 

Revolutionary

Member
Sep 13, 2007
20,305
3,240
1,425
Brooklyn, NY
_Xenon_ said:
Go for the "hunt for magic" quest instead. Eventually a new area will be unlocked and you can get the rest 3 there.
Heh, I was going crazy wondering why the hell they weren't picking the traps up anymore. Thanks!

jim-jam bongs said:
Hey you ploughed the lady of the lake? Damn. She gave me her sword but never let me give her mine.
Yep, she's a tricky one. Have to say certain things to her, and IIRC, continue the conversation later in the game in order to do the deed.


Also, is a 1080p shot of the inventory really necessary? lol
 

jim-jam bongs

Member
Dec 5, 2008
20,458
0
935
Emerald City
Stahsky said:
You gotta let her know how sweet her ass is before she lets you have your way with it. Not even kidding.
Revolutionary said:
Yep, she's a tricky one. Have to say certain things to her, and IIRC, continue the conversation later in the game in order to do the deed.
Damn it. I already have to start a new game of TW1 for the gnomes in chapter 4 and now this.

Wallach said:
Noob. Though you know she couldn't have smelled very good. Just sayin'.
All I could think of:

 

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Dec 15, 2008
39,516
0
730
34
nowhere
www.neogaf.com
Tokubetsu said:
Easy. Bottom half mermaid and I'm a leg guy but head from a mermaid > pussy with a top half fish.
True, but just think about those stinky fish lips and those dead eyes right in your face. At least the sexy top half could give you a tug while looking pretty.

something to think about, I guess

jim-jam bongs said:
Let me sing a gentle song for you to help you think.
I need a Dandelion song about this STAT

although your lips smell fishy

those long legs wrapped around me are pretty

so I look into your blank eyes, and part of me dies

as I realize, I'm fucking a fish
 

Discotheque

Banned
Oct 5, 2009
51,294
1
0
Favorite voices:

1. the guy who trolls Geralt by yelling for help everytime you go near him (Flotsam)
2. The woman who just screams in shock when you go near her (Flotsam)
3. "Did you say something? Or did you just fart?"
4. Cockblocker at the start of the prologue
5. Letho, alternates between Ron Perlman and some guy from Ireland
6. Roche, badass voice
 

Tokubetsu

Member
Mar 1, 2005
26,041
0
1,410
32
Deep Underwater
soundcloud.com
Discotheque said:
Favorite voices:

1. the guy who trolls Geralt by yelling for help everytime you go near him (Flotsam)
2. The woman who just screams in shock when you go near her (Flotsam)
3. "Did you say something? Or did you just fart?"
4. Cockblocker at the start of the prologue
5. Letho, alternates between Ron Perlman and some guy from Ireland
6. Roche, badass voice
I liked Cedric's a LOT too. Such an eloquent drunk.
 

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Sep 20, 2010
84,182
7
0
The lair of yin and yang
Discotheque said:
Favorite voices:

1. the guy who trolls Geralt by yelling for help everytime you go near him (Flotsam)
2. The woman who just screams in shock when you go near her (Flotsam)
3. "Did you say something? Or did you just fart?"
4. Cockblocker at the start of the prologue
5. Letho, alternates between Ron Perlman and some guy from Ireland
6. Roche, badass voice
I like the little dwarf blacksmith's assistant and the book store dwarf. They're so freaking sweet.
 

Tokubetsu

Member
Mar 1, 2005
26,041
0
1,410
32
Deep Underwater
soundcloud.com
Snuggler said:
True, but just think about those stinky fish lips and those dead eyes right in your face. At least the sexy top half could give you a tug while looking pretty.

something to think about, I guess



I need a Dandelion song about this STAT

although your lips smell fishy

those long legs wrapped around me are pretty

so I look into your blank eyes, and part of me dies

as I realize, I'm fucking a fish
Thats what im saying though I just said it in a confusing manner. Top half human mermaid can give you a tugjob AND a bj. Fish head mermaid is just...No.
 

Chiggs

Gold Member
Jan 20, 2005
13,995
4,417
1,820
Atlanta
Well, just beat the game (Iorveth path). Put in 33 hours and didn't do all the quests. Last city was pretty rushed, but there were a ton of set pieces that nearly made up for it.

The story was really outstanding. I was actually really surprised with all the double/triple crosses in the game. Really liked how everyone was angling for something.
 

Zeliard

Member
Apr 23, 2008
34,712
0
0
36
There's one elf asshole in Vergen around Iorveth's place who just flatly says "Nobody wants you here" whenever you talk to him, with such animosity in his voice.
 
Nov 5, 2010
24,733
1
710
Australia
jim-jam bongs said:
I sold it so I decided to use the PDF game guide, but either they used different translators for the game and the guide, or they changed the names of some of the objects after it was written because it was bloody useless.
Yeah I got stuck on the Nekker quest because the guide says to use Beehive bombs. Which no one sells. Eventually I made some grapeshot bombs and I worked it out.
 

Chiggs

Gold Member
Jan 20, 2005
13,995
4,417
1,820
Atlanta
Zeliard said:
There's one elf asshole in Vergen around Iorveth's place who just flatly says "Nobody wants you here" whenever you talk to him, with such animosity in his voice.
Yeah, that guy is a twat.

How about the humans in their enclave? One of them hocks a loogey in your general direction.
 

JWong

Banned
Sep 15, 2009
13,365
0
0
Ugh, another 60. Not even gonna bother linking the full review to give them hits.

Metro GameCentral 60
May 24, 2011
An ambitious and morally complex role-player, but one still limited by a poor script and half-broken game mechanics.
Half broken? Are these guys for real? WTF is broken?
 

Castor Krieg

Banned
Dec 5, 2007
7,983
0
0
Warsaw
JWong said:
Ugh, another 60. Not even gonna bother linking the full review to give them hits.


Half broken? Are these guys for real? WTF is broken?
No blue/red responses make dialogues confusing. I don't know what answer to pick!
 

zonezeus

Member
Dec 10, 2008
980
1
0
JWong said:
Ugh, another 60. Not even gonna bother linking the full review to give them hits.


Half broken? Are these guys for real? WTF is broken?
They gave Dragon Age 2 7/10, therefore their opinion is invalid.
 

Wallach

Member
Jun 26, 2008
29,846
1
0
I read that review, can't comment about the script remarks as I'm only just about to get started but I think it was a decent write-up for how short the article was.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.