• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sullen

Chapter 2 runes question:

Is there any way to buy runes in chapter 2 if you took the Roche path? None of the merchants seem to sell any. Is there a mod or something that fixes this? It is pretty annoying.

Fudge! I'm at the end of Chapter 2 and I just realised that the junk you pick up (like rings or rope ladders) don't actually have a category in the inventory! So the whole time I have had like 75 worth of crap weighing me down because I wasn't selling it since I always click on the categories rather use the whole damn list. SMH.

Sullen said:
Chapter 2 runes question
Mysterious Merchant if you got that DLC.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
reptilescorpio said:
Fudge! I'm at the end of Chapter 2 and I just realised that the junk you pick up (like rings or rope ladders) don't actually have a category in the inventory! So the whole time I have had like 75 worth of crap weighing me down because I wasn't selling it since I always click on the categories rather use the whole damn list. SMH.

Hah! I didn't even know about that with the rings and rope ladders. No wonder I could never get my weight below 220 or so by the end of the game.

I'm on my second playthrough now and I just installed that no weight for items mod. Fuck inventory management.

_Xenon_

Banned
reptilescorpio said:

WOW so those rings / wires / ladders are actually useless?

I thought I could craft something out of them but I couldn't find the recipe lol.

_Xenon_ said:

I thought I could craft something out of them but I couldn't find the recipe lol.
They're labeled junk for a reason. :p

Took me a while to figure out as well, though. They should patch in a junk or misc. category. Kind of annoying have to scroll through the entirety of your inventory for a handful of junk items that are weighing you down.

Zeliard

_Xenon_ said:

Yeah just sell those.

I wonder if some people are finding themselves more encumbered because they carry all that stuff around and either think there's a use for it, or possibly don't even realize they're carrying it, since junk doesn't have its own category (which it really should).

Zefah said:
I'm on my second playthrough now and I just installed that no weight for items mod. Fuck inventory management.
I actually really like that you can't carry a boatload of stuff around. You really don't need the extra weapons and the only other thing that should take up weight is stuff for crafting.

_Xenon_ said:
WOW so those rings / wires / ladders are actually useless? I thought I could craft something out of them but I couldn't find the recipe lol.
The items that can be used to craft say so on the description, stuff like skins. Still carrying around some endrega skins just in case I find a schematic. You really don't need to craft in TW2 though, most of the items come up during the course of a mission. Feel silly that I bought all the books in Vergen too since I have found all of them again.

Zeliard said:
I wonder if some people are finding themselves more encumbered because they carry all that stuff around and either think there's a use for it, or possibly don't even realize they're carrying it, since junk doesn't have its own category (which it really should).
Yeah I agree with that. After being slightly annoyed with having to juggle my crafting inventory it has become obvious that I was just carrying too much junk. Currently got tons of ingredients, potions and pocket weapons yet are around 160 weight. Hopefully they patch in a junk category. Only noticed when I was trying to find
that diagram for Dethmolds rune. Wasn't showing up in the Quest items category so I started looking through All and felt pretty silly.

Zeliard

reptilescorpio said:
I actually really like that you can't carry a boatload of stuff around. You really don't need the extra weapons and the only other thing that should take up weight is stuff for crafting.

The items that can be used to craft say so on the description, stuff like skins. Still carrying around some endrega skins just in case I find a schematic. You really don't need to craft in TW2 though, most of the items come up during the course of a mission. Feel silly that I bought all the books in Vergen too since I have found all of them again.

It's also just crafting materials that take up space; ingredients that are used solely for alchemy don't. Many items also serve dual functions as both crafting and alchemy materials, and those do take up space.

Crafting is balanced out largely by the weight limit, and alchemy is balanced out partly by the weight limit and mostly by certain types of ingredients being more rare than others (like fulgur).

Zeliard said:
Crafting is balanced out largely by the weight limit, and alchemy is balanced out partly by the weight limit and mostly by certain types of ingredients being more rare than others (like fulgur).
Yeah I think it works really well in TW2. Although I send to have brought over 240,000 orens from the first game somehow. Found it funny that Triss wanted me to hunt down an ingredient for that Moongoose (sic?) potion even though I already had one that would suffice. Really enjoyed making the buff potions and oils, gives the combat a bit more enjoyment knowing that my combination of buffs makes it that little bit easier.

Gunpriest

Neo Member
I am so glad i actually watched a few trailers and decided to buy the game. I am not really a fan of hack'n'slay-one-man-army-RPGs. I prefer RPGs like Dragon Age Origins (PC-Version) and Lost Odyssey. But the videos and trailers got me interested and the very lare collector's edition looked so pretty.

The beginning was very rough, i was getting my ass handed to me a lot and i was swearing quite often at the game. But with a few points in some necessary skills like blocking, rolling and reduced backstab damage, combat got easier and i got more experienced.

Now i can take down a group of tough foes without breaking a sweat if i play it smart. I still giggle when i think about my first enemy mage. I aarded him down a cliff after he was dumb enough teleporting too close to the cliff. His screams were music in my ears :D

Although it has its (launch-)issues, it is a great game, definitely a contender for the GOTY 2011.

Jomjom

Banned
Quick questions for people who were suffering from the CRC data error:

I just sent e-mails to both GoG support and tw2support@thewitcher.com regarding my problem installing. On GoG I can't find any record of my sending a message to the tech support. Where can I find this?

Also, how quickly should I expect a response from either of them? Thanks!

EDIT: Nevermind I just got a response from CDP RED tech support and they are going to give me the GoG version! Yay!

Schlomo

Zeliard said:

And there I was wondering where all that weight came from.

So where is the AMD Crossfire update? I looked through the thread and couldn't seem to find the post that had it and it doesn't seem to be on the AMD page where I usually find that sort of thing...

Edit - Okay, I found it - installing now. I'm turning off Bloom too, seems the game looks 1000x better without it, I should have listened to everyone sooner about that.... zzz silly me I'm stubborn.

Echoplx

witchergame The Witcher
Patch is ready but we've encountered some problems with DLC. We apologize for not delivering the patch last night. More updates coming soon

Sullen

Chapter 3 quest question:

Can someone explain the password thing I'm supposed to give the Guardian for the Bygone Era quest? I talked to the craftsman mage about it, and he explained it, but it still made no sense to me.

Salaadin

DualShadow said:
Started my second play through on hard and its not letting me assign skill points to the Witcher tree. This happened to anyone else?
Try going to "Meditate" and then "Character" instead of just pressing "C" to add points.
If you already tried that, I dont know.

Enkidu

Sullen said:
Chapter 3 quest question:

Can someone explain the password thing I'm supposed to give the Guardian for the Bygone Era quest? I talked to the craftsman mage about it, and he explained it, but it still made no sense to me.
Start at the first word the mage told you, and go until you get to the second word he said. Then start from the end and go backwards. I'd recommend writing down the sentence or something because there doesn't seem to be any way to view it during the conversation

All patched up

Just completed "Troll Trouble" and after I collected my reward, I got to here dude recite the story of Adda the Striga

....THIS GAME IS FUCKING POETRY!!!!

Zeliard

DualShadow said:
Thanks that actually worked!

Strange but at least it works!

That's how I've always done it. I've tried a number of times to add points through the character screen without meditating and it's never worked. Dunno.

raphier

Banned
DualShadow said:
Thanks that actually worked!

Strange but at least it works!
that is not strange at all. That is how it's supposed to work! You may do it only during meditation. Fits lorewise how Geralt does things.

AgentOtaku said:
All patched up

Just completed "Troll Trouble" and after I collected my reward, I got to here dude recite the story of Adda the Striga

you get yet another recap of Adda the Striga. Just so if you dont know, watch TW1 intro for visual presentation of the story.

Solo

Steam tells me Ive played 19 hours so far, and I just finished The Blood Curse in Chapter 2. Im thinking this will be about a 30 hour game for me, which is perfect.

AgentOtaku said:
Just went through the big pay off for Chapter 2. Official favourite game now. Wow. Just fucking wow, a bunch of dudes in Poland have spun a story that shits all over most of the RPG's I have played in MANY years. The execution is just perfect.

Solo said:
Steam tells me Ive played 19 hours so far, and I just finished The Blood Curse in Chapter 2.
You've got Eternal Battle coming up. So very, very good.

raphier said:
you get yet another recap of Adda the Striga. Just so if you dont know, watch TW1 intro for visual presentation of the story.

Yeah, I caught it when I played W1. I dug it more in my head when I read it in The Last Wish =P

So very tempted to buy the Collector's Edition anyway just to show my love ...maybe if it dropped to $90

Ceebs

Oh god, I was reading what Rock Paper Shotgun wrote about the upcoming patch when this line straight up killed me. I have no idea why.

v1.1 will also bring with it an option to invert the mouse, for those of you who think Geralt is an aeroplane.

Solo

reptilescorpio said:
Just went through the big pay off for Chapter 2. Official favourite game now. Wow. Just fucking wow, a bunch of dudes in Poland have spun a story that shits all over most of the RPG's I have played in MANY years. The execution is just perfect.

You've got Eternal Battle coming up. So very, very good.

Last thing I did last night was fight off the
two assassins trying to kill Henselt, and then I entered the memory of one of them with necromancy.
That is where I will be picking up from tonight.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Ceebs said:
Oh god, I was reading what Rock Paper Shotgun wrote about the upcoming patch when this line straight up killed me. I have no idea why.

Damn, I lol'ed.

Minsc

Gold Member
Ceebs said:

The requests for inverted controls are surprisingly high.

Carm

For anyone in/finished Act 2 and went through the battlefield, did you find visionary notes 1? I can't seem to find them. Also ran into a quest there, not listed in the guide, which is odd.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
L0st Id3ntity said:
Spoiler tags for spoiler hints please derp.
I know, and people are spoilering some things and leaving locales and names of characters unspoiled.

SPOILER TAG PROPERLY PLEASE

I patched with the international patch and can confirm it works. Way better boot up and the loads seem even faster than the GOG exe as well. Increased performance on my 6950-6970 as well.

Darklord

Banned
Are my quests all broken? Ever since I left the Kedwani camp in chapter 2 all new or updated quests look like this.

UBnDY.jpg

Rather than like:

A Score to Settle
Find out what you can about X at the camp

They have no objective to do.

Just beat the game last night. First SP game in eternity that I've beaten and wanted to play through a second time immediately. Game is that good. I enjoyed the ending too. It resolved everything I wanted it to and obviously left the door open for expansions / The Witcher 3. Chapter 3 is truncated as hell but I guess knowing that going into it softened the blow a little bit.

MAJOR Spoilers. Don't highlight unless you've beaten it. I'm curious as to other decisions people made. Here is what I did:

- Dueled and killed Aryan (sp?) in the prologue, rescued his Mom out of the dungeon
- Took Triss to find the Roses of Remembrance, told her had to clear my name first
- Went with Roche at the end of Ch 1
- Went after Phillipa at the end of Ch 2 and fought Henslet. Let Roche kill that murdering rapist after I kicked his ass
- In Ch 3 i went after Triss as opposed to helping Roche go after Foltest's kids, glad to see he made it when all was said and done
- Removed the diamond allowing Sile to escape
- Mercy killed the dragon
- Let Letho live

Might've missed one or two decisions but thats what I did in a nutshell. I'm curious as to all the different story permutations the main plot can go.

Divius

Sweet jesus, this game is rage inducing. I'm still at the very start in chapter one, but I'm getting my ass kicked in every damn battle. I even turned the difficulty down to easy.

I hate to sound like a whiny bitch but I'm so close to just giving up on this game, because I'm simply not having any fun playing it anymore.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Damn, got my collector's edition in the mail yesterday from Amazon, and the bust seemed to have torn through the velvet backing case :( Any way I can get a replacement case or will I just have to dealwithitdog.gif? I mean I spent $140 after tax on it, I do expect things to be in good condition.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
&Divius said:
Sweet jesus, this game is rage inducing. I'm still at the very start in chapter one, but I'm getting my ass kicked in every damn battle. I even turned the difficulty down to easy.

I hate to sound like a whiny bitch but I'm so close to just giving up on this game, because I'm simply not having any fun playing it anymore.
You using QUEN? Do the smaller stuff first and try and go up a level or two. The little missions within the walls. It gets progressively easier as you go up only like 1 or 2 levels.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Finally I can continue the game again :D I'm loving chapter 2 even more than chapter 1.

Except for one part... the only part that's been frustrating me was the harpy cave (should I spoiler this?). The last parts of it was just bad game design overall.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Solo said:
Use Quen and bombs/ranged weapons, and ROLL.
That's exactly what I ended up doing :lol... put like 200 snars before they popped up. But yeah, it feels so "forced", I didn't enjoy it. I haven't done anything like that in the game before that.

djtiesto said:
Damn, got my collector's edition in the mail yesterday from Amazon, and the bust seemed to have torn through the velvet backing case :( Any way I can get a replacement case or will I just have to dealwithitdog.gif? I mean I spent $140 after tax on it, I do expect things to be in good condition.

You should install the game make sure your computer can read the disc, mine didnt work and neither did a new replacement set. If you have problems return and get game from gog.

This is a common complaint BTW the bust is heavy and many people report damaged to case and/or statue.

Solo said:
Use Quen and bombs/ranged weapons, and ROLL.

Yeah seriously, Quen should be in the game tutorial (eg dragon start). Makes a HUGE difference especially at the beginning of the game where you arent used to the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom