• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Performance Thread [Enhanced Edition Patch - New content & 100+ fixes]

Corto

i7 870 @ 2,93 Ghz
GTX 570
8 GB RAM
1920x1080

At the fore level (the dragon escape)

nvidia 266.58 drivers

Ultra + Ubber ON:

Peak- 20 FPS
Combat- 15 FPS

Ultra + Ubber OFF

Peak- 60
Combat- 40

nvidia 275.27 BETA drivers

Ultra + Ubber ON:

Peak- 20 FPS
Combat- 15 FPS

Ultra + Ubber OFF

Peak- 60
Combat- 40

No gain with the new drivers on my PC...

Wazzim

Banned
Hawk269 said:
Hmmm. I have a 2600k OC to 4.5, SLI-580's OC to 875 and your numbers are the same as mine. Outside of Uber, do you have everything else turned on? I am just curious as your performance is the same as I am getting, but I am in SLI with 580's. Hopefully a better SLI profile is needed.
lol, this game's performance is a total disaster.

rogue74

This thread is very discouraging.

I was THIS close to buying the game last night and leave it downloading so that I could play when I got home from work today. But after seeing this thread it may be prudent to wait a few weeks to see if Nvidia releases an driver update and/or CDProjekt patches this to improve performance.

My specs:
AMD Athlon X4 635 @ 3.2
Nvidia GTX 460 1 GB
4 GB RAM
1080p monitor

This thread makes it look like I can expect anything when I boot this up.

Sucks because I am dying to play it. That's what backlogs are for I guess.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
AHA! Something is afoot. I retract my previous statements of both my gpus being @ 100%. For some bizarre reason nvidia inspector totally showed me that both gpus were at full utilization but this isn't the first time I've been fooled ( shogun 2 ).

I read through this thread and was surprised that people with 1 570 had the same performance as both of my OCed 560s. So I went and disabled SLI and the results were :

1 gpu : 100 % usage, framerate 40-60 running around in flotsam town.
2 gpus : 50% usage each, framerate 40-60 same area.

It seems I was mistaken.

( albeit it wasn't my fault, it was the computers, the computers I tells ya! )

Hawk269

Wazzim said:
lol, this game's performance is a total disaster.

Yeah, what is even more weird is people changing resolution for 1920x1080 down to almost half or so and still getting the same frame rate. That is bizarre. I know it is a new engine and it is something they made, but damn, people getting same fps regardless of resolution seems a bit odd.

In my case, I should be destroying this game and yeah, that is not happening. I really though that I would be able to bitch slap this game in Uber mode, but until some optimations on the driver level and even o nteh game level comes out, it aint happening.

Truant

MSI (or some other nVidia manufacturing equivalent) made a custom SLI profile for Crysis 2 due to high demand on their forums. It worked like a charm, got a rock solid 60fps after importing it. Hopefully someone will do this for Witcher 2 as well.

Corto

Hawk269 said:
Yeah, what is even more weird is people changing resolution for 1920x1080 down to almost half or so and still getting the same frame rate. That is bizarre. I know it is a new engine and it is something they made, but damn, people getting same fps regardless of resolution seems a bit odd.

In my case, I should be destroying this game and yeah, that is not happening. I really though that I would be able to bitch slap this game in Uber mode, but until some optimations on the driver level and even o nteh game level comes out, it aint happening.

You can always turn off ubbersampling and enjoy a gorgeous game nonetheless...

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Truant said:
MSI (or some other nVidia manufacturing equivalent) made a custom SLI profile for Crysis 2 due to high demand on their forums. It worked like a charm, got a rock solid 60fps after importing it. Hopefully someone will do this for Witcher 2 as well.

keep us updated if that happens will ya ? <3
I'm assuming it's just an .exe right?

Hawk269 said:

But people are ignoring the fact that if you turn off half the shit in the options menus, the game still looks better than the vast majority of games on the market. You don't have to rock uber settings to appreciate the graphics.

Truant

Corky said:
keep us updated if that happens will ya ? <3
I'm assuming it's just an .exe right?

Will do!

It was a text file that you load into a tool by nVdia called "Sli Profile Manager" or something. Took like ten seconds to do, and it fixed all my issues with that game, which were largely identical to the problems we are having with TW2 right now.

Hawk269

Corky said:
AHA! Something is afoot. I retract my previous statements of both my gpus being @ 100%. For some bizarre reason nvidia inspector totally showed me that both gpus were at full utilization but this isn't the first time I've been fooled ( shogun 2 ).

I read through this thread and was surprised that people with 1 570 had the same performance as both of my OCed 560s. So I went and disabled SLI and the results were :

1 gpu : 100 % usage, framerate 40-60 running around in flotsam town.
2 gpus : 50% usage each, framerate 40-60 same area.

It seems I was mistaken.

( albeit it wasn't my fault, it was the computers, the computers I tells ya! )

Corky, same happened to me. My first try at Uber, I swear it said there was 98% usage on both of my GPU's, but every test after that they have at max maybe 50-60% usage, regardless of Uber or Non-Uber. So, if someone at CDP or Nvidia can figure out how to get an SLI Setup to use 80-90% of the GPU's then I would be golden to run in Uber at 60fps. Hell, I would settle at running Ultra NON-UBER at a solid 60fps!

I spent mroe time fucking with settings, reading stuff here and generally trying to troubleshoot the game than actually playing the game. This is the one area where PC gaming is not so fun..but once it is dialed, holy hell do PC games really kick ass.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah, either the performance is a bit rough or I way overestimated the capabilities of my hardware. I turned almost all of the effects like DoF/AA/blur and I'm still hanging around 30fps unless I'm on a roof or in a dark room where there is no activity around to make the game chug.

Don't get me wrong, the game looks stunning and I was expecting to make some compromises, but I thought I'd be able to pull off 50-60fps if I did. Oh well.

Hawk269 said:

Yep, I can confirm that the performance @ 720p is the same as at 1080p. If you check CPU utilization, it doesn't even push your CPU to 100% so it's not CPU limited...

Snuggler said:
Yeah, either the performance is a bit rough or I way overestimated the capabilities of my hardware. I turned almost all of the effects like DoF/AA/blur and I'm still hanging around 30fps unless I'm on a roof or in a dark room where there is no activity around to make the game chug.

Don't get me wrong, the game looks stunning and I was expecting to make some compromises, but I thought I'd be able to pull off 50-60fps if I did. Oh well.

It's not your system, most systems should be hitting 40-60 FPS on high... it's the game and/or the drivers. Let's hope AMD and Nvidia can get some Witcher 2 optimized drivers ASAP.

Salaadin

EternalGamer said:
But people are ignoring the fact that if you turn off half the shit in the options menus, the game still looks better than the vast majority of games on the market. You don't have to rock uber settings to appreciate the graphics.

Still doesnt make sense why someone can run it at any resolution and get the same FPS no matter what. You do have a point that the game looks awesome even with some of the more demanding settings turned down but if I was one of those people with a rig that could run it at Ultra + Uber and something was stopping me, Id be a little irritated too.

Hopefully a fix/patch/driver update comes around soon for those with issues.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
People are absolutely mental if they're suprised their super rigs are having performance hits when enabling ubersampling. The engine probably could do with extended optimisation, especially for crossfire/SLI, that we'll hopefully see through patches (I expect CD Projekt RED will at least try), but ubersampling? Come on.

Turn it off and accept that it's for the PCs of tomorrow, not today.

Hawk269

EternalGamer said:

You are right man. The game is just godly looking. It is such a looker. But for me and I would say many, it would be nice to get a game and have it fully utilize your specific system. The fact that I know it is not on my end and it is more the game/driver perhaps that is keeping it from being "all that it can be" is what is bothersome. But, I am getting to the point where I am about to say fuck it and just dive into the game and not worry about Uber or the slight drop of frames from 60 to 50 and just game.

Hawk269 said:
You are right man. The game is just godly looking. It is such a looker. But for me and I would say many, it would be nice to get a game and have it fully utilize your specific system. The fact that I know it is not on my end and it is more the game/driver perhaps that is keeping it from being "all that it can be" is what is bothersome. But, I am getting to the point where I am about to say fuck it and just dive into the game and not worry about Uber or the slight drop of frames from 60 to 50 and just game.

Yeah, that's what I'm doing. I'll be replaying this many times so at some point in the future I'll play it fully maxed at 60.

WEGGLES

Salaadin said:
Still doesnt make sense why someone can run it at any resolution and get the same FPS no matter what. You do have a point that the game looks awesome even with some of the more demanding settings turned down but if I was one of those people with a rig that could run it at Ultra + Uber and something was stopping me, Id be a little irritated too.

Hopefully a fix/patch/driver update comes around soon for those with issues.
Doesn't that usually indicate a cpu bottleneck?

Another thing that lets me know it's the game and/or drivers is that if I turn on SSAO, turn it off, enable various other settings the FPS doesn't really drop at all. This is definitely the sequel to the Witcher, lol.

WEGGLES said:
Doesn't that usually indicate a cpu bottleneck?

Usually, yes, but it happens to people whether they've got Core i5s or Core i7s at various states of overclock. And plus the CPU isn't being utilized 100%, I've tested this by changing core affinity from 8 cores to 4 cores.

Yeef

I can't seem to start the game at all. Starting it through Steam just has it closing instantly (with no error message). Starting it through explorer does the same thing. I've tried verifying the files numerous times and it doesn't help.

I've tried restarting steam, deleting clientregistry.blob, restarting windows, closing all background programs and adding an exception to my anti-virus, but nothing helps. This is insanely annoying.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Hawk269 said:
Dipping from 60 to 50 is a problem for you? I wish I could get 40-30 on Medium at least :(. Damn you people and your monster rigs

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Does anyone else have the game hang for like 1 or 2 minutes at a time sporadically? Not sure if it's a GPU driver issue but I'm pretty sure it's not my CPU. So confused.

A few more shots

witcher22011-05-1711-1oo6y.png

witcher22011-05-1711-13tco.png

witcher22011-05-1711-2ntd0.png

witcher22011-05-1711-2qq10.png

Ultra shots, no uber of course.

I know this isn't ideal for a lot of people, but I'm having amazing results running the game in window mode. I haven't had any issues and consistent framerates. Not running Ubersampling though and turned off the DOF effects. Funny how the DOF is weird in this game as well. The first one had issues with its implementation.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
CPU: i5 2500k @ 4.5GHz
GPU: 1gb GTX 460 (OCed to 850/1700/2100)
Resolution: 1920x1080
Preset: Ultra (vsync and ubersampling disabled)
Location (of test): Prologue
Framerate: 30-60 gameplay, 15-30 cutscenes
Custom Settings: using D3DOverrider for vsync/triple buffering

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Core i7 @ 3.8 GHz
SLI GTX580 OC'd

I am getting 60fps constant on High plus a couple settings turned higuer. I saw my GPU tracking app, EVGA precision, and both cards are using about 70% of their power. This is the kind of game I bought these videocards for.

High +
LOD Distance: "Normal" as compared to "Near"
Texture Memory Size: "Large" as compared to "Normal"

I will post images in a second.

CPU: i7 950 @ 4.0ghz
GPU: 6970 @ stock speeds
Preset: Ultra (sans ultrasampling - everything else is maxed/on)
Location (of test): Entire Intro Area
Framerate: 45-60
Custom Settings: Triple Buffering via D3DOverrider

Runs and looks fantastic. I was originally disappointed with the performance but once I realized that the culprit was ubersampling, it's been smooth sailing.

dejan

Ok, played a bit with the settings and I think I'll go with ultra minus ubersampling plus custom supersampling at 2880x1800. Framerate hovers between 30 and 45 fps in the starting area on my rig (480GTX SLI, i7@3,7GHz). Wonder how it will hold up once I reach the first town. I'm satisfied, but there's definitely headroom for improvement especially regarding SLI performance. The game looks absolutely stunning btw.

Some random shots:
witcher22011-05-1721-4km6w.png

witcher22011-05-1721-4e8ds.png

witcher22011-05-1722-147uf.png

witcher22011-05-1722-0c7y3.png

Damn, this is some bullshit. On NoteBookReview forum, people are having really inconsistent results with this game.

People with 6970M's and 6970M Crossfire are getting bad results, and then there's this guy...

Yup, on high with AA/SSAO/vsync off to my HDTV at 1280x720 and get anywhere from 30-50 FPS. Lookin good. Here's my video on my 2011 MBP. Stock bootcamp drivers, but I am overclocked as well.

YouTube - The Witcher 2 gameplay MacBook Pro 2011 15" i7 AMD 6750M overclock high settings

I don't know if he's bullshitting or not, but he gets +20 more FPS than me even when I switch down to 720p (Stays the same as 1080p) and my GPU destroys his.

TheExodu5

Banned
Truant said:

It was EVGA.

BoobPhysics101 said:
I don't know if he's bullshitting or not, but he gets +20 more FPS than me even when I switch down to 720p (Stays the same as 1080p) and my GPU destroys his.

If lowering the resolution doesn't improve fps, then it should indicate a bottleneck outside of the GPU. Now, the question is: is that bottleneck due to the CPU, bad drivers, unoptomized code? There are a lot of questions here.

For example, Black Ops only utilized part of my CPU and part of my GPU at launch...it was pretty much impossible to tell where the bottleneck lied. Sadly, I don't have enough technical knowledge or experience with these matters to even guess where the bottleneck may lie in such cases.

I mean, since we're dealing with multithreaded applications here, it's entirely possible that one badly synchronized thread is delaying all other threads, causing performance results that doesn't scale properly with the hardware. That's just a guess at what the issue 'could' be.

Minsc

Gold Member
I went back to ultra, this time without ubersampling, even turn up a few options past ultra, and got a nice 35-60 fps in the beginning of the prologue, very happy. i7 @ 3.4Ghz + 5870.

Texture work is ridiculous (not even close to anything spoilerly).

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Well play at least until the first town with npcs, quests, etc, not just the prologue set pieces. Seems that's the first really demanding area by the game's standards and who knows maybe it gets more so later... I'd be so happy if I had the performance from prologue throughout... Welll, the soldier camp had frequent dips too.

Manik

CPU: i7 920 @ 3.6ghz
GPU: GTX295 (275.27 BETA Drivers)
Preset: High
Location (of test): Intro Area
Framerate: 30-45

Custom Settings: Used the SLI settings from Here.

Initially I was having problems getting the framerate above 15 in the starter area but resolved that by removing the Nvidia 3D Drivers (even though I'd upgraded to 275.27 anyway) -just went into add / remove programs in control panel and removed both references to the 3D vision driver and restarted the PC. After that, had a huge jump up to between 30-45 in the intro area. Very bizarre indeed.

godhandiscen

SLI is enabled. I am seeing utilization over both of my cards. I didn't have to do anything special either. I haven't touched Nhancer or Nvidia Inspector.

Sanjay

Truant said:
Will do!

It was a text file that you load into a tool by nVdia called "Sli Profile Manager" or something. Took like ten seconds to do, and it fixed all my issues with that game, which were largely identical to the problems we are having with TW2 right now.

It was this I believe, EVGA SLI Enhancement.

http://www.evga.com/articles/00463/Default.asp

In the past they added:-

Enables SLI Support in Crysis 2
Enables SLI Support in Bulletstorm
Enables SLI Support in Dragon Age II Demo

And most recently added:-

SLI Support in Brink.

TheExodu5 said:
It was EVGA.

If lowering the resolution doesn't improve fps, then it should indicate a bottleneck outside of the GPU. Now, the question is: is that bottleneck due to the CPU, bad drivers, unoptomized code? There are a lot of questions here.

For example, Black Ops only utilized part of my CPU and part of my GPU at launch...it was pretty much impossible to tell where the bottleneck lied. Sadly, I don't have enough technical knowledge or experience with these matters to even guess where the bottleneck may lie in such cases.

I mean, since we're dealing with multithreaded applications here, it's entirely possible that one badly synchronized thread is delaying all other threads, causing performance results that doesn't scale properly with the hardware. That's just a guess at what the issue 'could' be.

Good questions all, for some reason my bottleneck seems to be the 30 FPS mark. FRAPS says I've only hit 40+ FPS a couple of times, and that was during cutscenes. Can't break 40 FPS even on Low.

I have been experimenting with the core affinity and CPU frequency scaling... The game is definitely taking advantage of 4 or more cores. The game runs almost 10 FPS faster with quad or 8 cores vs. dual core, even if you increase the dual core's frequency by 1 Ghz! Switching from quad to 8 core nets a 2-3 FPS boost.

It's really hard to truly measure how much extra FPS the CPU is giving since apparently my game isn't letting me really break 30 FPS. It seems to work well for some, and others are having the same issues I am, even with faster hardware.

EatChildren said:
Turn off ubersampling. I dont own the game yet, but it's blatantly obvious 99% of rigs will not be able to run ubersampling at stable 30+ fps. Max out everything else, but ubersampling is the super awesome cherry on top that is really built for future technology.

HELL NO, we're taking this shit to eleven!! WOO-HOO!!
but on the real, how will GTX580 SLi do with ubersmapling?

gdt

I'm digging TW1 well enough, so I'll probably be picking this up soon. Hopefully I'll be pulling a good performance with a quad core 6770 @ 720p.

godhandiscen

Here are some of my shots from The Witcher 2

http://c1514732.r32.cf0.rackcdn.com/witcher2 2011-05-17 13-29-03-99.bmp

http://c1514732.r32.cf0.rackcdn.com/witcher2 2011-05-17 13-28-38-63.bmp

http://c1514732.r32.cf0.rackcdn.com/witcher2 2011-05-17 13-28-28-64.bmp

http://c1514732.r32.cf0.rackcdn.com/witcher2 2011-05-17 13-28-15-45.bmp

http://c1514732.r32.cf0.rackcdn.com/witcher2 2011-05-17 13-30-49-64.bmp

http://c1514732.r32.cf0.rackcdn.com/witcher2 2011-05-17 13-29-41-60.bmp

I forgot to url encode the whitespaces. Still, just copy the links. I can't embed them because each one is 6MB.

Darklord

Banned
I posted this in the OT but might be more suited here.

The auto-detection put everything on ultra, which won't work with my 260GTX. I went in to change them but it's all screwy and glitchy. I can't see half the options, only the tab to change or enable/disable. Can someone please print screen there advanced options so I can figure out which is the DOF and ubersampling?

Hawk269

Instead of just playing the game, I decided to do some more testing. Well, I did find some improvements...

It seems like Uber mode, the end all be all is applying AA and all the other fancy stuff on it's own. Having the SSAO AND Uber Mode is basically doing nothing. Here is what I tested:

1080p, Ultra/Uber Mode On, All things Enabled = 20-25FPS
1080p, Ultra/Uber Mode On, All things Enabled EXCEPT SSAO = 32-35 FPS consistent.

The kicker, since Uber mode is redrawing the image several times, it applies it own AA and other effect. In both tests, I see NO DIFFERENCE with jaggies/image quality/lighting. It seems like having these other effects on as well as Uber mode is in fact like double dipping.

So all in all, in Uber mode, I am able to play at a solid 32 or so, did no see it dip below 30 at all.

Some updates: In some indoor areas, it did drop below 30, but in other outdoor areas I started to average around 40-45 fps. I swear the FPS in this game is all over the place. In areas you think it would dip it doesnt, in areas that it should not dip it does. Very weird.

Kyaw

I'm getting terrible performance in the Flotsam forest. Under 30.

Everything at ultra. DOF and SSAO off. AFx16 forced and Triple Buffering through D3Doverrider.

Top Bottom