• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Performance Thread [Enhanced Edition Patch - New content & 100+ fixes]

Varna

So the game's AA setting doesn't seem to do anything. Is it possible to force AA at this point? 580 GTX here.

jett

D-Member
NIN90 said:
LOOK AT THIS SHIT
witcher22011-05-1800-0ngom.png

Notice the framerate in the upper left corner.
This is with a 460 GTX and Phenom II X4 940 at low settings in 720p.
I'm getting the same framerate with high settings in 1080p.
That can't be right? Right?

It's not always like that but the framerate is very often in the teens.

I have a C2D6320 and a ATI 4670.

lolz I'm so fucked. :(

I guess I'll wait until CDP gets their shit together with a patch or I get a new PC. I mean fuck that picture is ugly as sin, there's no excuse for that framerate.

Hawk269

Varna said:
So the game's AA setting doesn't seem to do anything. Is it possible to force AA at this point? 580 GTX here.

Yeah the in-game AA does work. I am at 1080p and I see no jaggies at all. It works really well in fact. The only thing I forced via the driver is AF, Vsync and Triple Buffering. Everything else via the launcher.

Corto

Narag said:
Someone earlier in the thread posted they had gains with FRAPS off. Any luck there?

Oh shit! If you meant my post it was meant only as a joke as having the damn yellow numbers on the corner of the screen can have a reverse placebo effect, at least to me. Turning FRAPS off and enjoying the game without the worry of checking what is the FPS at that moment made me appreciate even more the game. Off course discounting really noticeable performance dips here...

Narag

Corto said:
Oh shit! If you meant my post it was meant only as a joke as having the damn yellow numbers on the corner of the screen can have a reverse placebo effect, at least to me. Turning FRAPS off and enjoying the game without the worry of checking what is the FPS at that moment made me appreciate even more the game. Off course discounting really noticeable performance dips here...

haha, well I recall someone else saying the same last night but it was a long night and I might just be imagining things.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Yurt said:
Try and find a deal unless you're on a super tight budget or if you're really desperate to play. I wouldn't want to play this on anything lower than medium but luckily I can play with everything but uber on. I have my preferences about motion blur but I can run it just fine with it on. I choose to turn that off.

jett

D-Member
LiquidMetal14 said:
Try and find a deal unless you're on a super tight budget or if you're really desperate to play. I wouldn't want to play this on anything lower than medium but luckily I can play with everything but uber on. I have my preferences about motion blur but I can run it just fine with it on. I choose to turn that off.

What ubercomputerz do you have man? BTW I read disc 2 only has superfluous bonus shit, is its installation required? I'm also running low on disk space... :p

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
LiquidMetal14 said:

Yeah I'll probably do that :(

Wallach

Truant said:
Did some more testing.

Turned off V-Sync and Tripple Buffering, the main menu runs at 2500 FPS and the load on both GPUs went up to 99%. The actual game still runs at 25-35 with loads at roughly 50%.

Something is definitely up.

Ugh.

What's funnier is that is a sign that the front end is sloppy too. That shouldn't happen.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Turning off motion blur and cinematic DoF gave me a pretty nice performance gains, now I'm at 30-60fps everywhere (including one area at the end of the Prologue which crawled to 15fps for some reason before).

CPU: i5 2500k @ 4.5GHz
GPU: 1gb GTX 460 (OCed to 850/1700/2100)
Resolution: 1920x1080
Preset: Ultra (w/o Uber, of course!)
Location (of test): Prologue, Chapter 1 (forest/Flotsam)
Framerate: 30-60
Custom Settings: using D3DOverrider for vsync/triple buffering
vsync, ubersampling, motion blur, and cinematic DoF disabled

Time to close Fraps and play the damn game, heh.

Varna

Hawk269 said:
Yeah the in-game AA does work. I am at 1080p and I see no jaggies at all. It works really well in fact. The only thing I forced via the driver is AF, Vsync and Triple Buffering. Everything else via the launcher.

Your right. But I to me it doesn't look nearly as good as traditional AA. But there is a big difference with it off/on.

Minsc, feel pretty add my results. They are only from the beginning camp section though. Ran a few fraps benchmarks with a different configs. Uber is off on all of them (have no interest in the game being a slide show. :( )

1920x1080 on all of them

Everything max 43-78 FPS, 56 average
Cinematic, Cut-scene DOF, SSAO off, Motion blur off, 44-94 FPS, 66 average
All DOF off, SSAO off, motion blur off, AA off, 55-111 FPS, 77 average

Think I will play without any of the cinematic dof, ssao and motion blurr off. Game still looks fantastic and it runs really well. Probably will drop a lot when i hit actual gameplay though haha.

After unistalling 3d drivers the framerate is actually even better than what I reported a couple of minutes ago, it is always over 40-45, with some places going comfortably in the 55 territory.

Very, very good. 1080p, ultra (no uber), v-sync enabled. Now I'll force 16 af and I'm done.

If you guys have a good rig and a nvidia gpu but having strange performances like I had (same for every setting) try removing the 3d vision drivers. Repetita iuvant.

is anyone else having problems trying to activate the retail version of the game?

i put in my code and nothing happens. I tried to use the registration icon but connection cant be established when i create an account.

Please advise

n0n44m

OK just played for about an hour after trying to download from Steam all day lol

2600K @ 4.5 ghz, Nvidia GTX480 @ 800mhz, latest beta drivers (with 3dvision and all installed even though I don't use it...)

1080p ultra with only the ubersampling disabled : felt smooth even during the scenes with lots of characters on screen ... checked my MSI Afterburner log and it showed ~70 fps during the last two minutes or so (I was walking up some tower forcepushing archers off in order to talk to someone up top :p)

GPU usage at constant 99% ... got a feeling this game loves both a beefy GPU and CPU, but I've got both =] so lets just hope the framerate doesn't collapse after the prologue :p

verdict: so far no performance complaints from me (and wow @ the graphics/details!)

Hawk269

Darklord said:
How do you install them without the 3D drivers? Does it just have an option to untick?

Yeah, when you install the new drivers just check the box to not install the 3d drivers.

JoeBoy101

Just got the game and installed it fine. It ran and asked for my activation key. I entered it and it said checking updates and then vanishes. Nothing happens. If I try and run it again, same exact thing. Anyone heard anything about this?

Man I love all the effort CD projekt put into the package and all but this shit should have been done before launch.

Well, there's my answer. Time to go back to busting murders in LA until they get their act together.

Quick Papercraft Question: Anybody put together Geralt yet? His legs are confusing me because they aren't equal height and the folds at the boots don't make sense.

Hawk269

JoeBoy101 said:
Just got the game and installed it fine. It ran and asked for my activation key. I entered it and it said checking updates and then vanishes. Nothing happens. If I try and run it again, same exact thing. Anyone heard anything about this?

Well, there's my answer. Time to go back to busting murders in LA until they get their act together.

Quick Papercraft Question: Anybody put together Geralt yet? His legs are confusing me because they aren't equal height and the folds at the boots don't make sense.

Activation servers are curently down. From the website it should be up soon.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
jett said:
What ubercomputerz do you have man? BTW I read disc 2 only has superfluous bonus shit, is its installation required? I'm also running low on disk space... :p
2500k@4.5ghz
8GB PC1333 DD3 (gets a push to almost PC1600 with CPU OC)
Radeon 6950 to 6970 2GB

Disc 2 is required. About 14GB but super nice standard packaging. Feels like a CE.

Salaadin

Didnt find an answer to this yet: Is anyone else getting small black box-like artifacts on the skin textures in game? They can be annoying sometimes. Any ideas on what I can do to fix?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
LiquidMetal14 said:
2500k@4.5ghz
8GB PC1333 DD3 (gets a push to almost PC1600 with CPU OC)
Radeon 6950 to 6970 2GB

Disc 2 is required. About 14GB but super nice standard packaging. Feels like a CE.
I'm using a Phenom II X4 3.2ghz, but otherwise I have the same components as you, and the game runs buttery smooth for me on Ultra with ubersampling off.

The game is utterly gorgeous. The dragon in the prologue made my jaw drop.

mr stroke

So the consensus is Crossfire/Sli doesn't work? Yes,No? Everyone one is saying something different.

Hopefully my cards work.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
mr stroke said:
So the consensus is Crossfire/Sli doesn't work? Yes,No? Everyone one is saying something different.

Hopefully my cards work.
SLI works for me. I am seeing 75% utilization accross both cards.

Shahadan

Laptop here

i7 740QM @ 1.73 Ghz
6 Go Ram
GTX 460M
1920x1080

I'm on Ultra and generally around or above 30 FPS apparently (it's a guess I have nothing to verify it)

I don't understand I thought I would have a few problelms but no.

Anyone has that annoying bug where you're stuck in combat mode but can't actually use your sword?

Smokey

Just got home with this.

Time to make my new rig go to work (i7 2600k, 8GB RAM, GTX 580).
I may even leave ubersampling on depending on how hard it will hit my frames. Spent a lot of money on this rig, might as well make it work :p

Shahadan said:
Laptop here

i7 740QM @ 1.73 Ghz
6 Go Ram
GTX 460M
1920x1080

I'm on Ultra and generally around or above 30 FPS apparently (it's a guess I have nothing to verify it)

I don't understand I thought I would have a few problelms but no.

Anyone has that annoying bug where you're stuck in combat mode but can't actually use your sword?

Nvidia drivers are handling this game better than ATI's drivers right now from what I can tell. I'm on High settings and getting worse than your 460M even though my 5870M is a faster card... Try using FRAPS to verify your FPS.

Sethos

Banned
Considering it's only using a single GPU core on my 5970, performance ain't too shabby. Some sequences it does dip down to around 35 but there's no stuttering, freezes or major dips. People were even talking about low performance during the intro, that went smooth as well.

Settings:

Settings.png

Quick screenshots;

Can just imagine with some optimized drivers and a proper CF profile.

TheExodu5

Banned
i5 2500K @ 4.6GHz
2x GTX 570
8GB RAM
Windows 7 64-bit
266.58 drivers (3D vision installed)

Ultra, no Ubersampling

~35fps in dialogue cutscenes
40-55fps during gameplay
16-25fps with Ubersampling

Smokey said:
Just got home with this.

Time to make my new rig go to work (i7 2600k, 8GB RAM, GTX 580).
I may even leave ubersampling on depending on how hard it will hit my frames. Spent a lot of money on this rig, might as well make it work :p

It does look great with ubersampling, but the performance hit just isn't worth it. Even with SLI'd GTX 580, I'd leave it off, since you'd be missing out on a locked 60fps (assuming they get SLI to work). Ubersampling is more of a 'next-generation' thing, in this case.

Minsc

Gold Member
^ Nice, looks amazing huh?

At some point tomorrow morning I'll update the OP with the latest batch of results, then that might be it (for listing hardware performance, I'll still update for tips/benches), except for special cases like laptops and low end info. It's starting to get redundant in many areas.

The engine seems to either run really well if you have the hardware, or completely randomly weird. People reporting the same framerate from low to high settings, others gliding right by at 50+ fps on ultra with slightly better machines.

TheExodu5

Banned
Tried out some new settings:

settings2.png

55-70fps in this case. The game looks much, much better without bloom. The bloom lighting in this game is terrible. Geralt's face is as bright as the sun. No thanks. Not too sure about the other settings yet. SSAO looked really overdone from what I've seen so far...not sure if I prefer the game with it on or off.

Will post comparison screenshots, so you can see the difference in between the two sets of settings, shortly.

ManeKast

Shahadan said:
Laptop here

i7 740QM @ 1.73 Ghz
6 Go Ram
GTX 460M
1920x1080

What drivers you using?

Similar to what I have, Asus G73sw laptop. GTX 460m 1.5gb, 1080p, 8gb ram, i-7-2630qm @ 2.0ghz and in 1080p I can not get over 22fps even on lowest profile. 720p I get 32fps or so sometimes up to 40 which is playable. Nvidia 2.61 drivers.

Shahadan

BoobPhysics101 said:
Nvidia drivers are handling this game better than ATI's drivers right now from what I can tell. I'm on High settings and getting worse than your 460M even though my 5870M is a faster card... Try using FRAPS to verify your FPS.

Ah yes, turns out I'm closer to 20 FPS actually. Fooled me.

Solo

i5 2500k
8GB RAM
GTX 570
1080p

Playing on Ultra, everything on max (except ubersampling off), and getting 40-50 FPS. Game is fucking LUSH.

My measurements:

Radeon 4890
Phenom ii X2 @ 3.6ghz
4GB RAM

I'm playing it in 1080p on Ultra settings, and forcing triple buffer v-sync through RadeonPro. I used FRAPS to verify my framerates.

I get 20-30fps during cutscenes. It rarely, if ever, goes higher than 30. During gameplay, my average is around 20-25fps, sometimes dropping into the high teens when a lot of enemies are on screen. If I was to average it all out, i'd say it's 25fps. Now here's the thing - it still feels really really responsive on a controller, similar to how Crysis did even in the 20s, which I think is what is giving people some false positives when reporting framerates. So, all this said, it doesn't really bother me and i'd much rather enjoy the detail practically maxed.

It's definitely a CPU bottleneck imo since changing down to even low settings gives barely any difference in fps.

Vestal

Gold Member
E8400 OCed to 4GHZ
Asus P5Q-E
4GB 1066 Dominators 2x
5770 XFX Crossfire
1920x1080
FPS 40-70
After working overtime tweaking and fiddling with the drivers and my setup finally found a sweetspot for performance using Crossfire. Using Dirt2 profile with Alternate Frame Rendering, running on ULTRA with shadow quality at medium and very large texture memory. Getting between 40-70 FPS now. I was having issues before with flickering but totally removing the ATI drivers with DriverSweeper and reinstalling cleared that up.

Tried it outside in the fort and now in the dungeon.. Will report more as I continue to progress through the game.

raphier

Banned
This game reeks of memory leaks everywhere. I hope they can fix them leakes, would help a lot for everyone. (I go from 60 to 20 in some occassion and I'm playing lowest possible details)

TheExodu5

Banned
A few shots, to compare settings:

Ultra:
max.jpg

Ultra (no bloom):
max_nobloom.jpg

Ultra(no bloom, no SSAO):
max_nobloom_nossao.jpg

Ultra, without bloom looks to be the best, by far. Turn off bloom!

Turn off SSAO if you need the extra frames.

I still want to figure out how to get rid of the awful dithering. I don't really notice it in game, but it bugs me in screenshots!

Minsc said:
^ Nice, looks amazing huh?

At some point tomorrow morning I'll update the OP with the latest batch of results, then that might be it (for listing hardware performance, I'll still update for tips/benches), except for special cases like laptops and low end info. It's starting to get redundant in many areas.

The engine seems to either run really well if you have the hardware, or completely randomly weird. People reporting the same framerate from low to high settings, others gliding right by at 50+ fps on ultra with slightly better machines.

I forgot to add in my posts that I'm running in 1920 x 1080. Just letting you know in case it's something you want added.

Sanjay

TheExodu5 said:
Will post comparison screenshots, so you can see the difference in between the two sets of settings, shortly.

Looking forward to these, have you tried out the new betas yet? SLI is working with them but not optimized fully yet but its still better then nothing.

Just saw the pictures, thanks. Taking off SSAO then, 12 fps more and I can't see the difference. Looks better with Bloom off too.

Varna

@TheExodu5

You know, maybe I just don't have an eye for it but it's really hard to see the difference with SSAO off.

Top Bottom