• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Performance Thread [Enhanced Edition Patch - New content & 100+ fixes]

TheExodu5

Banned
Varna said:
@TheExodu5

You know, maybe I just don't have an eye for it but it's really hard to see the difference with SSAO off.

Save them both to your computer. User the Windows Picture Viewer to quickly switch in between the two. The difference is easily noticeable doing an A/B comparison, but is more difficult to spot until you really notice what changes. When you quick switch in between the two, the difference is very noticeable.

Can someone make an HTML page with a mouseover macro to compare in between the two? :p

ManeKast said:
What drivers you using?

Similar to what I have, Asus G73sw laptop. GTX 460m 1.5gb, 1080p, 8gb ram, i-7-2630qm @ 2.0ghz and in 1080p I can not get over 22fps even on lowest profile. 720p I get 32fps or so sometimes up to 40 which is playable. Nvidia 2.61 drivers.

Ok, I'm going to post what works for me on my G73JH, these settings SHOULD work for any other G53/G73SW and G73JH users. YMMV but I've gotten 10-15 better FPS by doing all of this vs. what the game was originally running at (20-25 FPS, now I'm at 30-35 FPS avg).

ASUS G Series Laptop owners (or anyone else using modern Radeon or GeForce Mobile GPU's and Core i5/i7 CPU's), here's some tweaks/tips for better FPS!

1. For ATI users, get the 11.4 drivers. NVidia users, get the newest beta drivers released today. Uninstall all 3D Vision drivers, Nvidia users! Huge boost in FPS there

2. Download unclewebb's ThrottleStop. This tool is ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY for any Core i5 or i7 owner! It stops your CPU from throttling down and keeps it clocked higher during games especially. Install it, make sure to right click the icon and 'Turn On', and then go into Options and hit 'Unlock BiDirectional PROTCHOT'. After that, make your ThrottleStop main screen look like this!

throttlestop%20settings.jpg

For Core i5 (non Sandy Bridge) and Intel Extreme Mobile processor owners, make sure to click on TPL and set TDP and TDC to something much higher like 60, 70, or even higher. It'll force Turbo Boost to clock higher consistently. On my old Core i5 430m in my previous laptop, I had it running @ 3.2 Ghz constantly on all four cores @ 100% load.

3. ATI and NVidia users, change your Image Quality Settings in NVidia Inspector/Control Panel or Catalyst CC/Radeon Pro to 'Quality' for Texture Filtering. Also, force Vsync Off unless you're familiar with forcing triple buffering and checking for Vsync performance loss.
MAKE SURE ANTIALIASING IS SET TO APPLICATION CONTROLLED!
I also highly recommend NOT setting Anisotropic Filtering. It makes a 3-4 FPS difference in performance but makes angled/distant textures look MUCH, MUCH sharper. Maybe try 2x, 4x or 8x AF... 16x AF is pretty intensive on this game, which is strange, since 99% of games have no performance hit from 16x AF.

4. Make sure your laptop is in High Performance power plan mode! Also, if you've previously disabled Core Parking (If you don't know what that is, ignore this) make sure to re-enable it! From what I've seen, Turbo Boost works much better with Core Parking enabled, at least on The Witcher 2. I got a 5-6 FPS boost from this alone.

5. For Witcher 2 Graphics options, I'd recommend disabling SSAO, Motion Blur, Depth of Field - Gameplay (ruins FPS), Ubersampling, and Vertical Sync.

ENABLE Dangling Objects Limit. Set AntiAliasing on or off depending on your resolution/tastes,
Texture Memory Size to Large or Very Large, Shadows to Medium or High, and anything else to Medium/High/whatever you prefer.

6. (Optional) Overclock your GPU or CPU! If you need help, just ask. If you've got a Core i5/i7 Mobile and your BIOS doesn't support overclocking, you'll need to use SetFSB. I can help you with that. For ATI users, use Sapphire Trixx/MSI Afterburner to overclock your GPU. For NVidia owners, use GPUTool/MSI AfterBurner.
My 5870M is stock @ 700/1000 (Core/RAM), and I've got it stably clocked at 840/1100 for Witcher 2. It'll really help at high resolutions like 1600x900 and 1080p

7. (Optional but good to do anyways) Make sure your Intel Chipset INF drivers are installed properly! There have been bugs with Intel Chipset installers where it doesn't force Windows to use the new driver, so Windows keeps using some generic bullshit. Either go into Device Manager and check all your Intel drivers to make sure the dates/driver maker are recent and NOT Microsoft supplied, or follow these steps (Core i5/i7 Non-Sandy Bridge). DISCLAIMER: These are provided by an Asus employee (known as Chastity on NotebookReview Forums) that has set up a useful resource/guide for all G73/G53 owners HERE: http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?1150-G73-Series-Driver-and-Application-Reference

a. Download and install these Chipset INF drivers: http://pcaudio.ath.cx/stuff/infinst_auto.exe
b. Reboot
c. Verify through Device Manager that it replaced all Intel drivers with recent versions. If you haven't done this previously, your system should feel a lot more responsive!

gdt

TheExodu5 said:
Save them both to your computer. User the Windows Picture Viewer to quickly switch in between the two. The difference is easily noticeable doing an A/B comparison, but is more difficult to spot until you really notice what changes. When you quick switch in between the two, the difference is very noticeable.

Can someone make an HTML page with a mouseover macro to compare in between the two? :p

Or just open the images in new tabs and switch between them.

BoobPhysics101 said:
Ok, I'm going to post what works for me on my G73JH, these settings SHOULD work for any other G53/G73SW and G73JH users. YMMV but I've gotten 10-15 better FPS by doing all of this vs. what the game was originally running at (20-25 FPS, now I'm at 30-35 FPS avg).

ASUS G Series Laptop owners, here's some tweaks/tips for better FPS!

1. For ATI users, get the 11.4 drivers. NVidia users, get the newest beta drivers released today. Uninstall all 3D Vision drivers, Nvidia users! Huge boost in FPS there

2. Download unclewebb's ThrottleStop. This tool is ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY for any Core i5 or i7 owner! It stops your CPU from throttling down and keeps it clocked higher during games especially. Install it, make sure to right click the icon and 'Turn On', and then go into Options and hit 'Unlock BiDirectional PROTCHOT'. After that, make your ThrottleStop main screen look like this!

throttlestop%20settings.jpg

For Core i5 (non Sandy Bridge) and Intel Extreme Mobile processor owners, make sure to click on TPL and set TDP and TDC to something much higher like 60, 70, or even higher. It'll force Turbo Boost to clock higher consistently. On my old Core i5 430m in my previous laptop, I had it running @ 3.2 Ghz constantly on all four cores @ 100% load.

3. ATI and NVidia users, change your Image Quality Settings in NVidia Inspector/Control Panel or Catalyst CC/Radeon Pro to 'Quality' for Texture Filtering. Also, force Vsync Off unless you're familiar with forcing triple buffering and checking for Vsync performance loss.

MAKE SURE ANTIALIASING IS SET TO APPLICATION CONTROLLED!

4. Make sure your laptop is in High Performance power plan mode! Also, if you've previously disabled Core Parking (If you don't know what that is, ignore this) make sure to re-enable it! From what I've seen, Turbo Boost works much better with Core Parking enabled, at least on The Witcher 2. I got a 5-6 FPS boost from this alone.

5. For Witcher 2 Graphics options, I'd recommend disabling SSAO, Motion Blur, Depth of Field - Gameplay (ruins FPS), Ubersampling, and Vertical Sync.

ENABLE Dangling Objects Limit. Set AntiAliasing on or off depending on your resolution/tastes,
Texture Memory Size to Large or Very Large, Shadows to Medium or High, and anything else to Medium/High/whatever you prefer.

Asus G series notebook here. Fucking thanks a bunch man!

I was AVG. 30-40 at all times, 720p with everything on 'cept uber,SSAO, and AA.

I'll post my new results after I try this...

Geoff9920

Sethos said:
Considering it's only using a single GPU core on my 5970, performance ain't too shabby. Some sequences it does dip down to around 35 but there's no stuttering, freezes or major dips. People were even talking about low performance during the intro, that went smooth as well.

Settings:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/473845/NeoGaf/Settings.png

Quick screenshots;

http://imgf.tw/890415917.png
http://imgf.tw/108426868.png

Can just imagine with some optimized drivers and a proper CF profile.
Same experience here and I didn't have any luck with other crossfire profiles via radeonpro.

Kinda sucks but at least the framerate is very consistant

AgentOtaku said:
Asus G series notebook here. Fucking thanks a bunch man!

I was AVG. 30-40 at all times, 720p with everything on 'cept uber,SSAO, and AA.

I'll post my new results after I try this...

Please do, and make sure to check your FPS in the same areas so you can see if it helped you improve.

If you need any extra help, just ask or PM. I've had two Asus G series laptops (G60JX and G73JH) so I'm familiar with both i5 and i7 tweaks/overclocking + AMD and NVidia mobile GPU tweaks/overclocking so I should be able anyone with similar hardware that has issues.

TheExodu5

Banned
Reposting the two most important shots again, for the new page:

Ultra with bloom:
max.jpg

Ultra without bloom:
max_nobloom.jpg

Just look at all the dynamics lost with bloom. Without bloom, the contrast is incredible. Look at all the detail lost in Geralt's face with bloom on. Look at how washed out the background becomes. Say no to bloom!

edit: I really need to force Anisotropic filtering. Time for another shot!

This is running at a very steady 30 frames/second for me on Ultra without übersampling at 1920x1080. Sometimes performance bogs down whenever I load a save or spend an extended period of time in the Journal or Inventory. Whenever I reload the game everything runs smoothly. Weird.

More proof of the game's CPU dependence - disabling a core literally halfs the framerate.

I thought my PC could last until 2013, but it looks like it's time for me to invest in a quad..

TheExodu5

Banned
Ultra, no bloom, 16x AF:

max_nobloom_af.jpg

Geralt's armor becomes a lot more shimmery with AF on, though. Any idea how to 'fix' this? I think I might have to play with the negative LOD bias or something like that.

Also, surprisingly large performance hit for enabling AF.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
More proof of the game's CPU dependence - disabling a core literally halfs the framerate.

I thought my PC could last until 2013, but it looks like it's time for me to invest in a quad..

It seems heavily multi-threaded and optimized for quad or more cores. If I set core affinity to 2 cores from 4, I lose about 7-10 FPS and CPU usage jumps to 100% per core. This is despite my processor turbo boosting up an extra 1 ghz. 4 cores or more and the FPS goes way up + each processor isn't pegged @ 100%.

Reading this thread made me realize that my PC probably won't be able to run this at an acceptable level.

That makes me a sad panda. :(

TheExodu5 said:
Ultra, no bloom, 16x AF:

Geralt's armor becomes a lot more shimmery with AF on, though. Any idea how to 'fix' this? I think I might have to play with the negative LOD bias or something like that.

The difference between 0x and 16x AF is incredible. One of the biggest reasons I recommend 16x AF on every single game, it just looks so much better for pretty much zero performance cost. Just look at the cobblestones going off into the distance under the soldiers' feet! With 0x AF they're a blurry mess, with 16x you can see the individual stones! Amazing.

Make sure anisotropic and trilinear optimizations are DISABLED using Nvidia Inspector or Nvidia Control Panel. Those might cause the artifactions.

TheExodu5 said:

But the textures, they are so blurry, so blurry without AF.

Dont have much time to toy around with the game and less with it's settings.

What's does choosing low, mid, high and ultra do? Are they just shortcuts to not bother with the advance tweaking options?

In my case just selected medium, then in advance i turned on AA, highest draw distance, motion blur, bloom, SSAO, medium shadows. Im satisfied with the IQ but the textures look a bit on the low quality side, specially ground ones. Will turning the specs to high do something if i keep the same advanced options?

To sum up what aspects of the visuals are affected by the low, mid, high and ultra specs?

Refreshment.01 said:
Dont have much time to toy around with the game and less with it's settings.

What's does choosing low, mid, high and ultra do? Are they just shortcuts to not bother with the advance tweaking options?

In my case just selected medium, then in advance i turned on AA, highest draw distance, motion blur, bloom, SSAO, medium shadows. Im satisfied with the IQ but the textures look a bit on the low quality side, specially ground ones. Will turning the specs to high do something if i keep the same advanced options?

To sum up what aspects of the visuals are affected by the low, mid, high and ultra specs?

I suggest reading the OP and/or browsing for about 5 minutes, it'll answer all of your questions. Just because you don't have time and are too lazy to figure out what each setting does (hint: README) doesn't mean someone else has to explain everything to you.

Also, if you read about 3 posts above yours you'll figure out a solution for making your ground textures look much better...

JoeBoy101 said:
Just got the game and installed it fine. It ran and asked for my activation key. I entered it and it said checking updates and then vanishes. Nothing happens. If I try and run it again, same exact thing. Anyone heard anything about this?

Well, there's my answer. Time to go back to busting murders in LA until they get their act together.

Quick Papercraft Question: Anybody put together Geralt yet? His legs are confusing me because they aren't equal height and the folds at the boots don't make sense.

were you able to install yet?

Launcher runs but still cant install.

TheExodu5 said:
Just for completion's sake, here's what I would consider the best settings:

Ultra, no bloom, 16xAF, Ubersampling:

Delicious. Too bad it's unplayable. :(

Hint: Not sure if you have GTX 580 SLI, but another user that does figured out earlier in this thread that if you have Antialiasing Enabled while UberSampling, it 'double dips' and causes about 10-15 FPS less performance. Disable AA while Ubersample is enabled and the image quality looks exactly the same but you get a huge performance boost.

Ceebs

For anyone that plays on lower resolutions, The game is quite playable @ 1440X900 on high with SSAO off & Shadows on Medium with this setup.

Phenom X2 550
1GB 4870
4 gigs of ram

It's not 60FPS by any means, but the game feels a lot smoother on this rig than GTA4 or Crysis ever did.

TheExodu5

Banned
I guess I should post a comparison with Low, Medium, High, and Ultra. I will post them with bloom off, as well as 16x af forced, as everyone should be playing with those two options. :p

Reposting from the main thread. The Witcher 2 isn't detecting my Save Games and not allowing me to import. My saves are currently in the C:\Users\xUsernamex\Documents\The Witcher\saves folder.

Here is the STEAM thread if anyone is having a problem with regards to the game not detecting a Witcher save

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1893783

And here is the FAQ off of thewitcher.com

http://www.en.thewitcher.com/support/faq/#t22

My saves are in the right spot, don't know what the deal is. Kinda pissed seeing as one of the reasons I replayed the original was because of it.

EDIT: Here is the thread on GOG

http://www.gog.com/en/forum/the_witc...es_wont_import

Anyone have any suggestions would be much appreciated.

TheExodu5

Banned
You know what? I'm not bothering with the Low/Medium/High/Ultra comparison. There's simply no scalability here. Ultra with SSAO off and AA off is basically the same performance as Low. I'm going to go ahead and say that I wouldn't recommend playing this game with anything less than a GTX 460 or 6850. It'll run with something like a 5770, but performance will not be amazing.

The only point of Low settings really is to reduce the memory load, but any card fast enough to run the game properly in the first place should have more than enough memory to run with higher settings.

Also, as far as I can tell, the engine only seems to really stress 3 cores. My i5 2500k @ 4.6GHz:

cores.png

Sanjay said:
Sir Garbageman what OS are you running?

Win 7. STEAM for both games.

EDIT: Some things I've tried so far with no success:
  • Dragging and dropping my original saves into The Witcher 2 saves folder
  • Loading my old saves and manual saving the game at
    the Ice Palace and the Order of the Flaming Rose
  • Loaded my last save and beat the original, watched the ending cut scenes and credits
  • I had two Witcher save game folders. One at C:\xUsernamex\James\Documents\The Witcher and one at C:\Users\Public\Documents\The Witcher. I removed one, then the other to see if having two folders was causing the problem.
  • Restarted my PC

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
TheExodu5 said:
I guess I should post a comparison with Low, Medium, High, and Ultra. I will post them with bloom off, as well as 16x af forced, as everyone should be playing with those two options. :p

Yes please :p

edit Oh you changed your mind lol. I wanted to see how my game would look like at Medium-low :p

BoobPhysics101 said:
I suggest reading the OP and/or browsing for about 5 minutes, it'll answer all of your questions. Just because you don't have time and are too lazy to figure out what each setting does (hint: README) doesn't mean someone else has to explain everything to you.

Also, if you read about 3 posts above yours you'll figure out a solution for making your ground textures look much better...
No you don´t understand and are way too quick to judge, the question is what changes with medium, high, ultra, etc. I have my aniso to 16x by drivers. If you took the time to read what i was saying, i told i was happy with the IQ, but ground textures looked bad.

Advice if you aren't going to help just ignore the post and save the preachy lecture :D

Hawk269

Instead of just playing the game, I am still fiddling around with it. So, I decided to turn off the SLI to see what happens and using Ultra/Uber I only get like a 2-3 FPS drop. SO while SLI does work, it is not making much of an impact with the game. Kind of sad that Nvidia and for that matter AMD did not work on their support for this game...especially with how big the game is.

Well, I am going to go actually play the game in Ultra and hope that Nvidia and perhaps the developers optimize the game a bit more for SLI/Crossfire users.

Wallach

TheExodu5 said:
You know what? I'm not bothering with the Low/Medium/High/Ultra comparison. There's simply no scalability here. Ultra with SSAO off and AA off is basically the same performance as Low. I'm going to go ahead and say that I wouldn't recommend playing this game with anything less than a GTX 460 or 6850. It'll run with something like a 5770, but performance will not be amazing.

The only point of Low settings really is to reduce the memory load, but any card fast enough to run the game properly in the first place should have more than enough memory to run with higher settings.

Also, as far as I can tell, the engine only seems to really stress 3 cores. My i5 2500k @ 4.6GHz:

http://www.thejayzone.com/pics/witcher2/cores.png

I think that is intentional as they do want to still get this onto the Xbox 360 somehow (which is a triple core CPU).

Hopefully they can get some more performance out of this engine.

Refreshment.01 said:
No you don´t understand and are way too quick to judge, the question is what changes with medium, high, ultra, etc. I have my aniso to 16x by drivers. If you took the time to read what i was saying, i told i was happy with the IQ, but ground textures looked bad.

Advice if you aren't going to help just ignore the post and save the preachy lecture :D

Edited for snarkiness

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=witcher+2+graphics+comparison

Took me less than 5 seconds.

In short, make sure no Texture Downsampling or whatever it's called is on, enable 16x AF, set Texture Memory Size to Large or Very Large, and set MipMapping and Texture Filtering to High Quality in drivers. Should help.

Turn off Motion Blur, SSAO, and Depth of Field for big FPS boost with minor graphics quality loss (SSAO does look really nice though).

Nice comparisons, Exodu5. I'm not getting the game just yet (have to finish the Witcher first!) but AF is definitely a must for me in most games, at least 8x. I'd rather have lower AA with acceptable AF, particularly at 1080p or higher where jaggies become less noticeable than at lower res. Bloom-less looks like the way to go from those screens, but I wonder if it will look better in other areas. I think forested areas, where foliage covers much of the light source, bloom might look good in, unless other settings can cover for how that looks.

TheExodu5 said:

Noticed this too... When Core Parking is enabled, it shuts down 2 cores and likes to use 6. Very weird.

Also, if it wasn't on before, Anisotropic Optimization/Trilinear Optimization in your NVidia drivers should reduce AF performance hit. With those on my 16x AF performance hit in the exact same spot you had your screenshot at was 3-4 FPS vs 0x AF...

I haven't encountered a game in the last 8 years that actually had a performance hit from AF (not since the Radeon 9800 Pro came out), but here it is.

Does that mean Witcher 2 really needs optimization or the NVidia/ATI drivers do? Heh.

jett

D-Member
Wallach said:
I think that is intentional as they do want to still get this onto the Xbox 360 somehow (which is a triple core CPU).

Hopefully they can get some more performance out of this engine.

Looking at how it runs on high-end PCs...I don't even want to think what is this game going to be like on consoles.

TheExodu5

Banned
Final comparison for the night. All settings are without bloom.

Low, no AF:
low_noaf.jpg

Low, 16x AF:
low.jpg

Medium, 16x AF:
med.jpg

High, 16x AF:
high.jpg

Ultra, 16x AF:
ultra.jpg

I'll edit my posts later and have a more clearly laid out post afterwards.

CPU: Core i7 @ 3.8ghz
GPU: 6950 unlocked to 6970
Resolution: 1920x1080
Framerate: 40-50fps, drops to 30's but never goes below that.

Everything maxed except ubersampling.

TheExodu5

Banned
I NEED SCISSORS said:
Is there any chance of a patch to make it run better on dual core?

^ Also, disappointing to see that dithering made it into the final game.

I can't stand dithering...but what's funny is that you really don't notice it in the game. You have to stop and really look for it. Otherwise, it's not too bad. Still would have preferred a solution that didn't involve dithering, but oh well.

The engine isn't very scalable, but the performance isn't bad. Let's be honest here, this is probably the best looking PC game to date. Maybe not as photorealistic as Crysis, but the much higher quality art assets make it a better looking game.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Thanks TheExodu5 !

Yeaah that's a pretty big difference :( I guess it's time to part ways with my 1gb 9600 GT lol :(

Is there any chance of a patch to make it run better on dual core?

WHAT. It doesn't ? k I guess it's time to part ways with my whole pc now lol

BoobPhysics101 said:
Edited for snarkiness

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=witcher+2+graphics+comparison

Took me less than 5 seconds.

In short, make sure no Texture Downsampling or whatever it's called is on, enable 16x AF, set Texture Memory Size to Large or Very Large, and set MipMapping and Texture Filtering to High Quality in drivers. Should help.

Turn off Motion Blur, SSAO, and Depth of Field for big FPS boost with minor graphics quality loss (SSAO does look really nice though).
Oh my friend thanks for answering, really. But that's not what im asking, i know what the options you listed do and what hit in performance they have. Like i said Image Quality wise the game looks fine to me, tweaked the catalyst to my tastes long ago also.

What i want to know is what aspects of the visuals are affected by using low, medium, high or ultra settings? Or are they just global presets for the people that don't bother using the advance tweaking options? I hope i was more clear this time.

TheExodu5

Banned
Yurt said:
Thanks TheExodu5 !

Yeaah that's a pretty big difference :( I guess it's time to part ways with my 1gb 9600 GT lol :(

Yeah, but notice the difference in framerate. I'll do you a favor and make one last shot for you! Keep up hope!

Top Bottom