• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Performance Thread [Enhanced Edition Patch - New content & 100+ fixes]

TheExodu5

Banned
cleveridea said:
Thanks for all your detailed postings but isnt disabling SSAO going to mess up the beautiful colors I see in screens/videos? Also turning off VSync will make it screen tear wont it?

I had vsync off for benchmark purposes.

I will decide after a bit of playing whether I prefer playing with it on or off. It depends on the game for me...in some games, tearing isn't noticeable (especially with motion blur), in others, it is. It depends a lot on the framerate you're getting, as well as the geometry of the world. Games with lots of vertical lines, like Portal, make tearing very obvious. Since I have SLI working now and can maintain a proper 60fps, I probably will play with it on, but my preference is to play with vsync off if I can't maintain 60fps. Tearing is often less annoying to me than frame skips, a result of triple buffered vsync.

knitoe said:
I am running CF 6970 and don't notice any flicking issue.

Did you just open up the game and not set up any CF profile? If so then you're not getting any benefit of your crossfire setup so essentially you're getting the performance of just one 6970 at the moment.

When applying any profiles and using AFR (or any other type of Crossfire) the screen flickers horribly.

Reposted for the new page:

CROSSFIRE USERS! Try this!

From nvnews forums:
Quote:
Radeon Pro with the Dirt 2 Crossfire profile forced and Alternate Frame Rendering enabled = Both of my cards working at 95%+ and my performance is great now!

Hopefully doesn't cause flickering for any of you...

bengraven

Damn, was playing with just DOF, Uber, and shadows off with a Radeon 9800GT (4gb ram, 2.5 Quadcore proc).

Was running really really well (40-50fps) until I hit Flotsam. Second I was able to explore the town, I'm literally doing 1 frame per 30 seconds.

It's like streaming ground to a halt and it's caching...but it's taking a LONG time to cache. Like 5 minutes as I try to walk around.

zlatko

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
Did you try it yet? Curious to see if it worked.

See my low settings screen shot from above. Start there. Low, with maybe 8x AF forced through the driver control panel, and set texture memory to an appropriate size (high, if you have 1GB of VRAM), as well as setting texture downscaling to off.

Yeah I just tested it and Bloom did get rid of the massive orange glow when near lights.

Up until now I was playing with ultra with SSAO off, blur effect off, and uber sampling off. The results were great since the game looked awesome and I wasn't getting any choppiness which would be from low frame rate.

I have a 5870, 8GB of ram, and an AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Processor which gets me about 2.8GHZ.

I REALLY suck at anything tech wise around my PC and how to get the most bang out of it...hell I wasn't even sure how to update my drivers lol.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
TheExodu5 said:
Thanks, Sanjay, for the SLI settings!

DAT FRAMERATE
framerate.jpg
What are the settings you are using? Just using that flag didn't work for me. What did you use to set the SLI flag? I created a new profile with nhancer, but lately nhancer has been spotty. Did you use Nvidia inspector?

Dammit, I knew my card wouldnt be able to run it high but I cant get anything

540m 2gb
6GB Ram
i7-2720QM CPU @ 2.20GHz,

Trying to run at 1280x720 but getting around 10fps

Any ideas?

I have everything disabled or off

Salaadin

I like the look without Bloom better. FPS seems the same but it looks nicer imo.

I also figured out my artifact issue. The game doesnt like my GPUs overclock. I revert to default and all is well.

TheExodu5

Banned
godhandiscen said:
What are the settings you are using? Just using that flag didn't work for me. What did you use to set the SLI flag? I created a new profile with nhancer, but lately nhancer has been spotty. Did you use Nvidia inspector?

inspector.png

Salaadin said:
I like the look without Bloom better. FPS seems the same but it looks nicer imo.

Yeah, I guess it's personal preference. Some scenes look better with bloom, but the majority of the time, I much prefer it off. The opening just looks terrible with bloom.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Okay, thanks to this thread i managed to fix a frame-rate problem i was having initially.

Specs

i5 750 3.0 ghz
Geforce GTX 260
4gb of ram

Getting like 30-40 fps on 1080p high with v-sync turned off, pretty impressed with the performance I'm getting.:)

Technosteve said:
Specs

CPU: i7-920 @ 3.0 Gigahertz
GPU: 4890 1 gigabyte Vram@ 870 Megahertz
Memory: 6 gigabytes PC1500
Resolution: 1080p
System: Windows 7

Settings
High with following changes
AA: Disabled
SSAO: Disabled
Cinematic DOF: Enabled
V Sync: Disabled

FPS Min 24 High 60 Average 30

Very Playable with those settings, no tearing. I wonder if combat will be more fluid if it's locked at 60.
So glad I read this post. I had AA enabled this whole time and didn't realize it. Disabling it more than doubled my average FPS.

Specs:
HD 4870 1GB
i5 760 2.8ghz
6 gigs of RAM
1920x1080

With everything else maxed and SSAO, V Sync, AA, and Ubersampling disabled, I get a rock solid average FPS of 35. With motion blur disabled that gets bumped up to 40. It's too pretty to turn it off, though.

I was happy with my performance before, but it was just feeling clunky. Smooth as butter now.

Coldsnap

Is D3D overdriver working good with this game? I hear a chime when I launch it. Should I turn Vsync off since I'm using the D3D?

I'm getting a 40-55fps on my gtx 560 with just standard High. I wonder if i set it to ultra take down bloom, SSAO, Vsync and ubersamping if I will get a solid 30fps

Specs:
GTX 580 (new drivers)
2600k (stock speed)
8GB ram

I was getting 80ish fps in opening cutscenes, 45-50 after walking out of the tent.

I had Ultra with Uber off, Bloom off, and Motion blur off, and SSAO off.

Any of "off" settings I should turn back on? I want a solid 40+ fps at all times.

Salaadin

Coldsnap said:
Is D3D overdriver working good with this game? I hear a chime when I launch it. Should I turn Vsync off since I'm using the D3D?

I'm getting a 40-55fps on my gtx 560 with just standard High. I wonder if i set it to ultra take down bloom, SSAO, Vsync and ubersamping if I will get a solid 30fps

I have in game Vsync off and stick with d3doverrider, no issues at all, no tearing.

zlatko

Banned
With my specs for PC above, and thanks to Fraps, I have 60 FPS locked.

I turned uber sampling off, and SSAO off. I turned off bloom as well since it does more harm then good. ;p

I have everything else possible on ultra, far, etc. I pretty much have the exact same thing that Exodus is using for what his settings are set to in that picture above, except I left Vysnc on.

Game looks great, runs great, and plays super on pad. :D Now I can dive deep into it without anything else to mess with. Thanks Gaf. :)

Lafiel said:
Okay, thanks to this thread i managed to fix a frame-rate problem i was having initially.

Specs

i5 750 3.0 ghz
Geforce GTX 260
4gb of ram

Getting like 30-40 fps on 1080p high with v-sync turned off, pretty impressed with the performance I'm getting.:)

What tweaks etc? I have the same card and I wouldn't mind increasing my framerate a little (it is usually pretty steady around 30 on High but dips to 20 every now and then)

TheExodu5

Banned
Coldsnap said:

The only way you'll get a solid 30fps with Ubersampling is with SLI GTX 580 or faster...and even then I have a feeling many places will drop the framerate below 30fps. Ubersampling is really an option for replaying the game a few years down the road, or for the extreme tech enthusiasts.

Veal

So I'm not getting any graphics at all. Like none of the textures are loading. Very frustrating. I got it from Steam and verified the cache and everything seems to be there...

Specs:
1920x1080
Radeon 6870
Phenom II X4 970
4GB DDR3 ram
Windows 7

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
BanShunsaku said:
What tweaks etc? I have the same card and I wouldn't mind increasing my framerate a little (it is usually pretty steady around 30 on High but dips to 20 every now and then)
Did you install the latest nvidia beta drivers? http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=344509.

Make sure you don't install 3D vision with it, because it caused me a bunch of problems, i was getting frame rates of like 5 to 15 because of it, hell the animated cutscenes were slower than anything else in the game.

Lafiel said:
Did you install the latest nvidia beta drivers? http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=344509.

Make sure you don't install 3D vision with it, because it caused me a bunch of problems, i was getting frame rates of like 5 to 15 because of it, hell the animated cutscenes were slower than anything else in the game.

Thanks, I installed these late last night and had a quick go but couldn't see any improvement. Pretty sure I installed the 3D vision stuff as well though, so I might do a reinstall and get rid of it.

Can't wait to get home and get stuck into it again, only an hour and a half of work to go... Thanks for the tips!

knitoe

ColonialRaptor said:
Did you just open up the game and not set up any CF profile? If so then you're not getting any benefit of your crossfire setup so essentially you're getting the performance of just one 6970 at the moment.

When applying any profiles and using AFR (or any other type of Crossfire) the screen flickers horribly.
Just tried the Dirt 2 profile and didn't see any difference. And, I am pretty sure CF is working since one of my screenshot (from last page) shows GPUs load of ~65% for each one.

Edit: On the main menu, I notice the both GPUs are hitting >90% load and fps in the thousands, but in game, it's exactly like my previous screenshots. I am really leaning toward a CPU limit. In places are there's lots of stuff going on => physics => CPU limit?, fps drops by large amount. Increasing my overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz increase the fps by 5 with little change in GPUs loads.

Hawk269

TheExodu5 said:
It does have a few minuses...most notably as you've posted, where the sun actually makes contact with the world. Otherwise, all pluses, as far as I can tell.

Then again...it's hiding the sun shafts...so maybe all minuses. :p

As you say though, I'll have to play with it a bit and check later scenes to make a proper decision. I would have liked to have it on, but just be more subtle...and obviously not affect Geralt's face. =\

Exodus,

With that SLI profile where you change the numbers, are you also using Uber settings? When I change Nvidia Inspector and apply those numbers that you use which are the same ones on the Nvidia forum, I can only get 95% plus utilization on my cards using Uber mode. However Uber mode is around 35-40fps. It does not do anything to improve SLI utilization under normal Ultra settings.

I have 2 SLI 580's OC to 875 on the core and even with that modified SLI file, I get not change in performance under Ultra. As I mentioned, when in Ultra & Uber, it does kick in and my GPU's are like 98% used, but only a 35fps, sometimes 40fps.

Anyways, just thought I ask. I think I am the point where I will play in Ultra and just let it go. I know my rig can handle Uber at 60fps, but drivers, SLI profile and or the game is not wanting to cooperate.

teiresias

Does anyone know the difference between the "Depth of Field - Cinematic" setting and the "Cinematic Depth of Field" setting?

Is the latter the 'style' of DoF being applied versus some other non-Cinematic style or something? There are two options for Cinematic and Gameplay DoF so I'm not sure what the "Cinematic Depth of Field" is supposed to be controlling since it doesn't seem like it would be an on/off toggle like the other two.

Hawk269

teiresias said:
Does anyone know the difference between the "Depth of Field - Cinematic" setting and the "Cinematic Depth of Field" setting?

Is the latter the 'style' of DoF being applied versus some other non-Cinematic style or something? There are two options for Cinematic and Gameplay DoF so I'm not sure what the "Cinematic Depth of Field" is supposed to be controlling since it doesn't seem like it would be an on/off toggle like the other two.

Cinematic DOF is used during Cinematics.
Gameplay DOF is used for when you are playing/controlling your character.

I prefer most DOF off since sometimes it is overdone and in the distant it is "too" blury. I wish there was a setting scale, like DOF level 1-10 which some games do have. I don't mind it too much in cinematics, but in gameplay, I like the clean/non blurry backround look. If I had it my way, Cinematic DOF would be set to 5 or so if it had a 1-10 scale, with 10 being ultra blurry, which to me it is..or close to a 8..lol.

Hawk269

TheExodu5 said:
The only way you'll get a solid 30fps with Ubersampling is with SLI GTX 580 or faster...and even then I have a feeling many places will drop the framerate below 30fps. Ubersampling is really an option for replaying the game a few years down the road, or for the extreme tech enthusiasts.

You know, I have been fucking around with settings and using Uber, not using Uber and to be honest in all my testing, yes it looks a tiny bit better in Uber, but not enough to be in the 35 or so FPS level. Plus with that custom SLI that is used in inspector, my GPU's reached 85c, which they never have even after 2 hours of Unigine testing...this was like in a matter of 10 minutes of running ultra/uber with that SLI modification.

Like I mentioned earlier, the SLI for this game is not running properly as when I disabled SLI and then ran the game my FPS was only off by less than 5fps. Proper SLI scales much better than just 5fps.

teiresias

Hawk269 said:
Cinematic DOF is used during Cinematics.
Gameplay DOF is used for when you are playing/controlling your character.

I prever most DOF off since sometimes it is overdown and in the distant it is "too" blury. I wish there was a setting scale, like DOF level 1-10 which some games do have. I don't mind it too much in cinematics, but in gameplay, I like the clean/non blurry backround look. If I had it my way, Cinematic DOF would be set to 5 or so it is had a 1-10 scale, with 10 being ultra blurry, which to me it is..or close to a 8..lol.
You misunderstand my question. There are three DoF settings in the options:

1) Depth of Field - Gameplay
2) Depth of Field - Cinematic
3) Cinematic Depth of Field

The first two are obviously toggles to turn it off and on at the respective time (gameplay or cinemas) but I'm unclear what the third option actually does.

Coldsnap

Hmmm if you had to choose one; AA on or SSAO on? My gtx 560 Ti is running great with both those turned off, think I can turn one on.

Gritesh

On the fence with this, can anyone tell me what to expect with the following specs:
Phenom x6 1055t overclocked to 3.8
Ati 5850 1gb
6 gigs ram
Windows 7

Thanks in advance.

Peterthumpa

teiresias said:
You misunderstand my question. There are three DoF settings in the options:

1) Depth of Field - Gameplay
2) Depth of Field - Cinematic
3) Cinematic Depth of Field

The first two are obviously toggles to turn it off and on at the respective time (gameplay or cinemas) but I'm unclear what the third option actually does.
It's basically a "bokeh" DOF. Very cool, but very taxing as well.
You can see it better (and compare it on/off) in the interrogation jail scene just after the game starts.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
toasty_T said:
Is this one of those games that needs vsync or can I turn it off?

I haven't had any need for it yet. I don't think I've seen any tearing yet aside from a few cutscenes that had a lot of camera panning, and that was minimal at worst. Still @ ch. 1 so maybe it could get worse but as of now I'm better off without it.

En-ou

Gritesh said:
On the fence with this, can anyone tell me what to expect with the following specs:
Phenom x6 1055t overclocked to 3.8
Ati 5850 1gb
6 gigs ram
Windows 7

Thanks in advance.

you should be more than fine. i am running it on high and getting rock solid fps at 1080p.

c2quad q6700
4gb ram
win7 ult
radeon 5770

edit: and holy shit is triss hot...

Snuggler said:
I haven't had any need for it yet. I don't think I've seen any tearing yet aside from a few cutscenes that had a lot of camera panning, and that was minimal at worst. Still @ ch. 1 so maybe it could get worse but as of now I'm better off without it.

Hmm, I went back and had a play around with it and noticed a bit of tearing especially when turning towards and away from walls. No fps gain from what I've noticed (aside from being able to go past 60).

I'm leaving it on for now.

Hawk269

Someone in another thread posted about the games autosaves. The way they have it, whenever an Auto Save is done, it does not over-write the previous one. He said he had over 200 saves and was getting close to 2gigs worth. Just thought I would bring it up if anyone wants to manage teh game saves. It also looks like there is no way to delete them from within the game, so you would have to go to documents and then into the save games folder to delete them.

Just a friendly heads up.

teiresias

Hawk269 said:
Someone in another thread posted about the games autosaves. The way they have it, whenever an Auto Save is done, it does not over-write the previous one. He said he had over 200 saves and was getting close to 2gigs worth. Just thought I would bring it up if anyone wants to manage teh game saves. It also looks like there is no way to delete them from within the game, so you would have to go to documents and then into the save games folder to delete them.

Just a friendly heads up.
This is pretty lame, particularly for those of us managing space on an SSD.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
BanShunsaku said:
Thanks, I installed these late last night and had a quick go but couldn't see any improvement. Pretty sure I installed the 3D vision stuff as well though, so I might do a reinstall and get rid of it.

Can't wait to get home and get stuck into it again, only an hour and a half of work to go... Thanks for the tips!

Actually i was probably being inaccurate and misleading as I just got further in the game and my FPS is closer to yours around 25-30, i was basing the 40 figure based on my performance in in-door areas.

Coldsnap

Not bad getting 45fps with my GTX 560 TI and 2500k Ultra settings with only SSOA, bloom, Draw, and ubersampling. I think I might be able to turn on the draw distance. Anyways, really happy with my computer performance and the nvidia beta drivers just in time.

Top Bottom