• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Performance Thread [Enhanced Edition Patch - New content & 100+ fixes]

RS4-

Damn, Flotsam just destroys me. I'm getting between 10 and 20 fps lol. Running it in 720p windowed didn't help either, as well as playing with some of the CCC settings.

I'll probably end up going from high to medium @ 1080 to see if I can get in the mid-to-high 20s.

Wessiej

CabbageRed said:
Radeon Pro. Install it, and create a profile linking the the correct .exe (such as "D:\Program Files (x86)\GOG.com\The Witcher 2\bin\witcher2.exe"). In the "tweaks" tab, you'll find a "CrossfireX Tweaks" section with a drop down box and a slider. Drop down=dirt2. Slider=alternate frame rendering.

Radeonpro should then be able to change the settings as needed when it detects you launch the game, but I always launch from within Radeon Pro.
I love you!! Will try it tonight!

Minsc

Gold Member
Big update to OP (re-arranged order of stuff too, easier to find new info). Let me know if I missed anything.

TheExodu5

Banned
GoncaloCCastro said:
There's something wrong with that or maybe it's the video card because I have the same CPU same memory and a GTX570 and I can play the game pretty smooth on high.

Your video card is about 50% faster.

TheExodu5

Banned
Corky said:
Alright this is getting wierd.

These are 3 graphs of (one of) my gpus running in sli with the new sli-bits ( that give me that annoying lightsource bleed or w/e).

Ok so here's the deal.

Graph one : everything ultra, except : no ssao, LoD normal and texture size high. ( notice that these lower settings somehow amounted to higher gpuusage at times spiking the ceiling )
Graph two : every setting on max, no uber
Graph three : every setting max, uber on.
TIaPN.png

And here's the conundrum ( no v-sync, d3dovr ) :

Fps 1 : 50-60
Fps 2 : 67-100 depending on virtually nothing, staring at the same vista the entire time!
Fps 3 : 30-40

Why do I get much higher fps when I crank up the settings? Why can I "feel" ingame that my gpu usage freaks out and gives me waay different results? Why is there almost an measly 10fps difference at times between the first gimped ultra setting and everything max + uber ?

You sure you didn't accidentally have vsync on in the second run? Interesting if not.

I think it's important to keep in mind that the Witcher team/CD Projekt are probably going to do some heavy optimizing to the engine after launch, if Witcher 1 is anything to go by. Subsequent patches to TW1 cut load times in half, greatly improved FPS, etc.

Looking at the benchmarks in the OP this has to be one of the most inconsistant games every devised...I am confident I can ultra though with some tweaking.

I hope a comprehensive tweak guide for this comes out--I have a feeling that I could disable/lower some settings with negligible decrease in image quality, but I'm so compelled to play the game rather than tweak/experiment.

Darklord

Banned
i7-920
6GB of ram
GTX260 card.
Latest drivers without the 3D drivers installed.

With AA, DOF, SSAO, UberSampling and V-sync off and shadows and textures on high I'm struggling to run this game. It's weird. One cutscene will chug like shit, then in-game it'll run at 40-50fps for a bit then the next area it drops to 20-25fps. Very erratic. I'm not sure what else to do. It gets a lot smoother when I put the resolution to 720p but then it looks like shit and is all blurry for some reason.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Guys I have a problem!

I can run the and everything but it seems that it doesnt have voice :/
just subtitles, even teh character dont move their mouth wtf

Ok so I´m a arrow keys player.
But I can't seem to bind them :O
The right and left arrow I can bind, but the up and down arrow I'm not allowed to bind even though they are not assigned to any other functions at the time.

23jn1ja.jpg

knitoe said:
Overclock my 2600K CPU from 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz and increase framerate by 5 fps, but GPUs loads only increase by a few % points. Looks like the CPU is the limiting factor.
No, your CPU is not the limiting factor, thinking that is just insane.

Any AMD users have done any comparisons with in game AA option and the Catalyst MLAA option? Think its worthed to check out and compare IQ vs Performance with one or the other.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
TheExodu5 said:
You sure you didn't accidentally have vsync on in the second run? Interesting if not.

I'm positive. V-sync and triplebuffering were all off during the testing. I'm still scratching my head at how I can get better performance when upping the settings.

Refreshment.01 said:
No, your CPU is not the limiting factor, thinking that is just insane.

My cpu is being stressed less than 40% on the most stressed core. There's plenty more to give so I'm going to agree with you that being cpu bound seems highly unlikely

Complaints:

-Light sources appear through walls in sli (same as in TW1).
-16:10 black bars. I know they are fine, it's just that I want to be fully immersed, in this game out of all! Hopefully the patch isn't too far away.
-Minor graphical hiccups during scenes and conversations.
Sir Garbageman said:
So turning off bloom seems to be the way to go ?
I prefer it on.

On: http://www.abload.de/img/witcher22011-05-1816-1ru5g.jpg

Off: http://www.abload.de/img/witcher22011-05-1816-1cubq.jpg

Corky

Lost identity:

Are your 480s pushed to above 90% even without playing with uber ? I know me and Hawk can't get everything out of our cards without enabling uber :( , which I don't see any reason to do given the hit.

Salaadin

Old?

http://www.neoseeker.com/news/16464...-technical-issues-possible-solutions-offered/

Update: word is in from CDP a hotfix will be deployed in a matter of days, containing a cure for inverting mouse controls and presumably other items.

Update: CDP has confirmed our own issues, and from what we can tell, it seems to be mostly an issue with AMD cards (solutions work for at least some NVIDIA users). Our specs (1055T CPU, 5770 GPU) have been sent to AMD, which could help with the next driver release. We're currently awaiting feedback from CDP/AMD, and will keep you updated.

Update: AMD says it's currently working on a Catalyst Application Profile for The Witcher 2; seems their work on the beta version of the game was up to par, but the final version has brought significant differences, as sometimes happens. The profile should fix performance for Crossfire users, at least.

Corky said:
Lost identity:

Are your 480s pushed to above 90% even without playing with uber ? I know me and Hawk can't get everything out of our cards without enabling uber :( , which I don't see any reason to do given the hit.
Yeah they are both doing above 90%, I have settled on all maxed save uber and motion blur (makes my head explode)

Minsc

Gold Member
Van Owen said:
Really hope this gets optimized. I'm thinking about buying a 6950 and even THAT seems to be not enough.

It's amusing how some people are praising the performance, saying it's as good as any console game (as a whole, graphically there generally agreed to be no contest), no bugs at all, and others have the worst luck. No doubt future patches will change things drastically, but for the lucky ones who can play it now without issues, it seems to be a GOTY contender.

Salaadin

Minsc said:
It's amusing how some people are praising the performance, saying it's as good as any console game, no bugs at all, and others have the worst luck. No doubt future patches will change things drastically, but for the lucky ones who can play it now without issues, it seems to be a GOTY contender.

Yeah, I get 45-60 FPS nearly all of the time. After I was told that performance dropped after the prologue, I was worried but sure enough, I still get 45-60 FPS. I wonder if any future patches to help others will also push mine even further.

Corky

L0st Id3ntity said:
Yeah they are both doing above 90%, I have settled on all maxed save uber and motion blur (makes my head explode)

bah :( good for you man. I'm still wondering why my pretty horses of gpu won't gallop as fast as they can unless I shove a glowing ironrod up their bums ( uber ).

Just tried it again and sure as ever :

everything max no uber no vsync : gpus don't go over 50-60%.
everything max uber, no vsync : 99% almost all the time.

Sidenote : is AA even needed when running uber or is just superfluous?

Zero9X

Neo Member
Has anyone found out how to disable the film grain? I've never liked it in any game its featured in.

Also does anyone know if there's a new ATI driver due soon?

Minsc said:
It's amusing how some people are praising the performance, saying it's as good as any console game (as a whole, graphically there generally agreed to be no contest), no bugs at all, and others have the worst luck. No doubt future patches will change things drastically, but for the lucky ones who can play it now without issues, it seems to be a GOTY contender.

Yeah, it's strange. I have a Q9550 (slightly OC'ed), 5770, and 4 GB RAM and I have a pretty solid 30 FPS with high settings, 16x AF forced, bloom and vsync off. It does seem CPU-limited, but the game is also one of the best looking (probably top 3) games released--of course it's going to tax most systems, but as I said before, they did a great job with optimizing TW1's engine, so I'd expect the same here.

Veal

Veal said:
So I'm not getting any graphics at all. Like none of the textures are loading. Very frustrating. I got it from Steam and verified the cache and everything seems to be there...

Specs:
1920x1080
Radeon 6870
Phenom II X4 970
4GB DDR3 ram
Windows 7
So I thought sleeping on it and reboot could help things. Nope. I took some screenshots of what's going on though:
W0BjS.jpg

agfFs.jpg

pcu23.jpg

XHZOT.jpg

These are all from the opening cutscene. Anyone have a clue as to what's going on?

Minsc

Gold Member
Veal said:
So I thought sleeping on it and reboot could help things. Nope. I took some screenshots of what's going on though:

These are all from the opening cutscene. Anyone have a clue as to what's going on?

Disable/change AA settings in your graphic card's configuration (CCC probably), it's conflicting.

Technosteve said:
Is the witcher 2 engine direct x 9 only?

Yup.

n0n44m

Minsc said:

I'm running 50 fps throughout the prologue with a single GTX480 & 2600K 4,5ghz on ultra minus ubersampling 1080p ...

more fps would be nice but the framerate is higher than any sub-720p console exclusive I can remember and the graphics are absolutely amazing

the problem seems to be that it doesn't scale well with older setups on lower settings I guess?

Minsc

Gold Member
Darklord said:
CPU: i7-920
GPU: GTX 260
Resolution: 1920x1080
Framerate: 25-35 fps

Do yourself a favor and force 16xAF! I could be totally wrong, but the textures seem a lot blurrier than I'd expect in those shots (except for the first, looks fine)

Easy_D

never left the stone age
wwm0nkey said:
Seriouly what the hell is going on, im not even getting 30FPS on LOW and I have a GTX470, 8 gigs of RAM and a 2.4ghz dual core :/
Your CPU is to blame. I have a 3,16ghz c2d and I have the
same results, pretty much.

Darklord

Banned
Minsc said:
Do yourself a favor and force 16xAF! I could be totally wrong, but the textures seem a lot blurrier than I'd expect in those shots (except for the first, looks fine)

Pardon the ignorance but how do I force 16xAF? And wouldn't that make the framerate even worse?

Minsc

Gold Member
Darklord said:
Pardon the ignorance but how do I force 16xAF? And wouldn't that make the framerate even worse?

Should be options in your GPU's control panel/settings. Performance hit is typically negligible, but I think it was reported to be as bad as 7fps, though you may not see any difference.

It's one of my bigger pet peeves for visuals, and you may agree it's worth the hit when you see the difference. It's subtler in motion, but you should still notice everything looking a ton sharper. You could always force 8xAF too, for nearly as much improvement with a smaller fps hit, but in 99.9% of games I always leave 16xAF forced.

Salaadin

Darklord said:

For AMD, you would go into the CCC and uncheck the "Use application settings box" for AF and then crank it up to 16x. Im assuming its done in a similar way for Nividia in the Nvidia Control Panel.

I might give this a shot too and see what happens. If theres not a huge performance hit, Ill keep it.

Did the beyond 3D guys do a dissection of the engine. This is the only game in a long while where I am getting antsy at work. I want to go home and play some more.

I am going to plug my pc to my tv my 23 inch monitor is too small for the epic scale of this game.

Veal said:
http://i.imgur.com/W0BjS.jpg[/IMG
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/agfFs.jpg[/IG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/pcu23.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/XHZOT.jpg[/IMG

These are all from the opening cutscene. Anyone have a clue as to what's going on?[/QUOTE]Don't force AA via your gpu drivers.

JoeBoy101

Anyone having issues DLing DLC for the game, like the pre-order bonuses? I got the code redeemed, but every time it tries to DL, it just stalls out.

Also, for the information, I got everything at Ultra, Uber off and am getting very solid Framerates. I didn't have FRAPS up, but if its below 50, I'd be surprised.

CPU: Sandy Bridge i5K, OCed to around 3.6 ghz
GPU: Nvidia 570 GTX
RAM: 4GB DDR-1600
Resolution: 1680 x 1050

TheExodu5

Banned
Corky said:
bah :( good for you man. I'm still wondering why my pretty horses of gpu won't gallop as fast as they can unless I shove a glowing ironrod up their bums ( uber ).

Just tried it again and sure as ever :

everything max no uber no vsync : gpus don't go over 50-60%.
everything max uber, no vsync : 99% almost all the time.

Sidenote : is AA even needed when running uber or is just superfluous?

Actually...

What's your CPU? That seems to indicate a CPU bottleneck. The GPUs have to wait for some blocking CPU threads to finish to continue rendering.

zlatko

Banned
I'm getting this weird grainy texture thing happening.

It seems to be mostly around shadows, like where the shadows should be smoothening out it seems to have bits of tiny square blocks to give it a "patchy" sort of look. It's also happening on faces for characters too probably when it's trying to display shadows on them.

What's causing this?

Darklord

Banned
Minsc said:
Should be options in your GPU's control panel/settings. Performance hit is typically negligible, but I think it was reported to be as bad as 7fps, though you may not see any difference.

It's one of my bigger pet peeves for visuals, and you may agree it's worth the hit when you see the difference. It's subtler in motion, but you should still notice everything looking a ton sharper. You could always force 8xAF too, for nearly as much improvement with a smaller fps hit, but in 99.9% of games I always leave 16xAF forced.

I can only find the launcher.exe Is it ok using that when forcing it?

TheExodu5

Banned
zlatko said:
I'm getting this weird grainy texture thing happening.

It seems to be mostly around shadows, like where the shadows should be smoothening out it seems to have bits of tiny square blocks to give it a "patchy" sort of look. It's also happening on faces for characters too probably when it's trying to display shadows on them.

What's causing this?

Dithering. It's a design choice, and a disappointing one at that.

Dithering is used to give the impression of color gradients, with a lower performance cost.

zlatko

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
Dithering. It's a design choice, and a disappointing one at that.

Dithering is used to give the impression of color gradients, with a lower performance cost.

So I'm stuck with it? :(

Top Bottom