• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Performance Thread [Enhanced Edition Patch - New content & 100+ fixes]

Wag

BoobPhysics101 said:
Reposted for the new page:

CROSSFIRE USERS! Try this!

From nvnews forums:
Quote:
Radeon Pro with the Dirt 2 Crossfire profile forced and Alternate Frame Rendering enabled = Both of my cards working at 95%+ and my performance is great now!

Hopefully doesn't cause flickering for any of you...
Yes, this works for 2 cards, but I have 3 6950s in tri-crossfire and unfortunately this profile only uses 2 out of 3 cards- better than 1, but still...

TheExodu5

Banned
Hawk269 said:
You know, I have been fucking around with settings and using Uber, not using Uber and to be honest in all my testing, yes it looks a tiny bit better in Uber, but not enough to be in the 35 or so FPS level. Plus with that custom SLI that is used in inspector, my GPU's reached 85c, which they never have even after 2 hours of Unigine testing...this was like in a matter of 10 minutes of running ultra/uber with that SLI modification.

Like I mentioned earlier, the SLI for this game is not running properly as when I disabled SLI and then ran the game my FPS was only off by less than 5fps. Proper SLI scales much better than just 5fps.

Uber is supersampling. It's basically rendering the image at a much higher resolution than native, and then scaling it down. It greatly improves image quality as a result...no jaggies, and near perfect texture filtering. But yes, it is taxing. I'd guess it's 2x2 supersampling. The framerate is reduced to about 35%, which is not quite consistent with 2x2 supersampling (which should reduce it to 25%), but the supersampling might be applied before some post processes, rendering the results consistent.

Blizzard

Banned
Here are my super janky settings. I turned most things low, except for no texture downgrading, and large texture memory. Hopefully that means I get nearly max texture quality. At any rate, it doesn't look amazing, but it's been fun so far and surprisingly run generally 30-70 fps on e8400 3.0 GHz, 4GB memory, ATI 5850 1GB I think. (Windows 7 64-bit)

witcher22011-05-1801-04dr5.jpg

From what I've heard, my framerate will probably go down to negative 500 once I get to Flotsam or whatever though. :(

Lafiel said:
Actually i was probably being inaccurate and misleading as I just got further in the game and my FPS is closer to yours around 25-30, i was basing the 40 figure based on my performance in in-door areas.

No worries, I will still try to reinstall the beta drivers without 3D, its worth a go.

To be honest I was pretty happy with it running between 20-30 last night, the occasional dips didn't really bother me as they weren't during fights so much as in towns etc.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Anyone seeing any noticeable differences with SSAO off or on? I'm not seeing much in the flotsam area.

Achamian

Blizzard said:
Here are my super janky settings. I turned most things low, except for no texture downgrading, and large texture memory. Hopefully that means I get nearly max texture quality. At any rate, it doesn't look amazing, but it's been fun so far and surprisingly run generally 30-70 fps on e8400 3.0 GHz, 4GB memory, ATI 5850 1GB I think. (Windows 7 64-bit)

From what I've heard, my framerate will probably go down to negative 500 once I get to Flotsam or whatever though. :(

I have i5 460m, 6gb and 5870m 1gb (equivalent to a 5770 i think) and can run on medium with framerate around 30fps most of the time, playable. Once i got to flotsam i found it actually ran a little better framerates went up to 35-45 with occasional drops into high 20s.

Also, in flotsam, did bernard turn invisible during the scene on the gallows for anyone else?

Narag

Running a Q6600 OC'd to 3GHz
OC'd GTX460
4 GB RAM
Beta nvidia drivers without the 3D stuff installed.
Running on Ultra minus Ubersampling at 1920x1080.

I'm pleasantly pleased with the performance so far. Cutscenes vary from 20-40 fps but for the most part the game is holding at 30sh fps with dips when streaming new content. I can handle that given how pretty the game is. Only now to Flotsam so we'll see how it goes from here on.

My framerate didn't dip too badly in flotsam. I was expecting mid teens but lowest is got was mid 20's. Also, is there anyway to fix the dithering? I started noticing it more once I disabled bloom.

kokujin

Banned
Narag said:
Running a Q6600 OC'd to 3GHz
OC'd GTX460
4 GB RAM
Beta nvidia drivers without the 3D stuff installed.
Running on Ultra minus Ubersampling at 1920x1080.

I'm pleasantly pleased with the performance so far. Cutscenes vary from 20-40 fps but for the most part the game is holding at 30sh fps with dips when streaming new content. I can handle that given how pretty the game is. Only now to Flotsam so we'll see how it goes from here on.

Awesome, you have the same specs as me except I have a GTX 470 SC, I'll see how I do in a few hours.

I swear the engine in this game is so damn nutty/janky, though admittedly breath-taking at times.

I tried the Asus Notebook stuff a couple of pages back and didn't really get but like a 5-10 increase in fps. Honestly not worth it for the stuff that got disabled. DoF Gameplay/Motion Blur add ALOT and are worth the hit, especially when the game sits between 25-40 fps at all times, no matter what I do. Just got to Flotsam and was crazy surprised how well it's running, even with DoF On

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Thank you TheExodu5. I am getting silky smooth 60fps on ultra with ubersampling off with your settings.

Any tips for a lowly 4850 512mb user with an AMD 7850 BE cpu? I turned absolutely everything off and put it to 720p, but Im still getting 20fps in large areas like the army camp and am worried it'll become unplayable down the line. Advice aside from just getting a new pc, that is.

Truant

L0st Id3ntity said:
Guys, this is a game changer, now I'm 60fps locked in Flotsam!!! (maxed @ 1600p 480x2 i7 4.0 no uber)

edit: it absolutely is locked to 60 fps no matter where I go in the forest, will test uber on this profile when I get back from work. w00t

Do I just change the values using Inspector and press "Apply"?

K.Sabot

Man, this game, this FUCKING GAME!
It totally makes up for DA2.
Part way through chapter 1 and I already feel like I've missed so much based upon my choices.

I'm going to replay the shit out of this.

Hawk269

L0st Id3ntity said:
Yeah just choose The Witcher 2 from the list and type in those bits and press apply.

For me this does nothing, unless I set to Uber, then I get 98% or so GPU usage on my 580's. Without Uber, I only have 50% or so usage. Not sure why it is not working for me. Clearly something is happening because in Uber it cranks up the usage.

I actually stated to enjoy the game, spent most of the day reading shit, testing shit etc. and just now really got to enjoy the game. Still in the prologue, but damn is it amazing. I died, and died and died and then understood the game a little more and the combat is much more than just button mashing. You don't block, you are screwed.

Controls could still be a little tighter, apparently the day 1 patch improved it a bit, so wondering how bad it was b4 the patch? Odd stuff like bags left from people that die sometimes it does not want to register the key press to collect, but outside of little things like that, it is freaking amazing.

Truant

L0st Id3ntity said:
Yeah just choose The Witcher 2 from the list and type in those bits and press apply.

Alright, I'll try that. The poster above your said I had to create a custom profile, but I guess it's the same as long as it points to the proper .exe, right?

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Exuro said:
What's awesome is I didn't go to that part in my playthrough.
Yeah a brother of mine was like "wth" when he saw me at that part, as he didn't recall doing it on his play through.:lol

Going be great for replays if there's a lot of stuff like that.

Truant said:
Alright, I'll try that. The poster above your said I had to create a custom profile, but I guess it's the same as long as it points to the proper .exe, right?
Can't double check now (in work) but that's how I did it.

Chesskid1

Banned
Lafiel said:
Yeah a brother of mine was like "wth" when he saw me at that part, as he didn't recall doing it on his play through.:lol

Going be great for replays if there's a lot of stuff like that.

what'd you have to do to get that?

IMACOMPUTA

kage said:
Invert Gamepad Y Axis:

First of all, make sure you're editing the ini's in the Documents/Witcher 2/Config folder, NOT the game installation folder (this took me hours to figure out :<...)

Anyways, open the User.ini file under ...\Documents\Witcher 2\Config

check the KeyboardLayout= property, for most people it should be QWERTY. close the file without saving.

Assuming it is QWERTY, open the input_QWERTY.ini in the same folder, find the IK_Pad_RightAxisY=(GameKey="GI_AxisRightY",Value=1) and change the value to -1.

IK_Pad_RightAxisY=(GameKey="GI_AxisRightY",Value=-1)

Save and exit. I tried this and it worked for me.

This doesn't work for me.. anyone have any ideas?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Alright this is getting wierd.

These are 3 graphs of (one of) my gpus running in sli with the new sli-bits ( that give me that annoying lightsource bleed or w/e).

Ok so here's the deal.

Graph one : everything ultra, except : no ssao, LoD normal and texture size high. ( notice that these lower settings somehow amounted to higher gpuusage at times spiking the ceiling )
Graph two : every setting on max, no uber
Graph three : every setting max, uber on.
TIaPN.png

And here's the conundrum ( no v-sync, d3dovr ) :

Fps 1 : 50-60
Fps 2 : 67-100 depending on virtually nothing, staring at the same vista the entire time!
Fps 3 : 30-40

Why do I get much higher fps when I crank up the settings? Why can I "feel" ingame that my gpu usage freaks out and gives me waay different results? Why is there almost an measly 10fps difference at times between the first gimped ultra setting and everything max + uber ?

tanuki

The settings to invert gamepad controls are in the user configuration file, not the QWERTY one. So fine the similar line in the user config and change the appropriate value to -1.

Kevin

Does "Uber" mode really make a difference in visuals? Does anyone have any comparison shots of the game running in Uber mode and the game running it with normal anti aliasing?

IMACOMPUTA

tanuki said:
The settings to invert gamepad controls are in the user configuration file, not the QWERTY one. So fine the similar line in the user config and change the appropriate value to -1.

Thank you sir!

p.s. the combat is kind of hard at the beginning!

Manager

tanuki said:

Has there been any fix found for the whole stick problem (X360 controller)? That when you tilt the analog stick slightly he runs.

Blizzard said:

There's something wrong with that or maybe it's the video card because I have the same CPU same memory and a GTX570 and I can play the game pretty smooth on high.

Wessiej said:
How do I force a Dirt 2 crossfire profile. I don't have the singelest clue... ;(

Radeon Pro. Install it, and create a profile linking the the correct .exe (such as "D:\Program Files (x86)\GOG.com\The Witcher 2\bin\witcher2.exe"). In the "tweaks" tab, you'll find a "CrossfireX Tweaks" section with a drop down box and a slider. Drop down=dirt2. Slider=alternate frame rendering.

Radeonpro should then be able to change the settings as needed when it detects you launch the game, but I always launch from within Radeon Pro.

This game really could have used a dx11 or 10 client, especially for dual core performance. I noticed a colossal difference in shogun 2 with it.

DX9 with this game is like christina hendricks' bra, it's busting at the seams.

Peff

So is this pretty much unplayable on a dual core or does it just need low settings to run somewhat decently?

CabbageRed said:
They had a very similar issue with the first Witcher. I believe it was related to DoF.

If it's unintentional it's hilarously good, tho. The game really looks painted on canvas, expecially in close ups.

CPU: Phenom X4 955 BE
GPU: 6950
Resolution: 1680 x 1050
Preset: Custom
Location (of test): Prologue
Framerate: 30-36~
Custom Settings:
Very Large texture size
Ultra shadows
Ultra numbered lights
DoF Gameplay Disabled
SSAO disabled
Motion blur disabled
Cinematic DoF disabled
Dangling objects limit disabled
Uber disabled
Vsync disabled
Decals high

Everything else enabled.

Switching between High/Ultra settings gives me no FPS change.

Top Bottom