• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 - New preview details

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
So in other words, people shelling out money for this game on either console are unwise to do so.

No wonder CDPR keeping the console versions hidden.

Where did you come to that conclusion. He said the PS4 version is fine.

In fact some of the devs said they will be playing it on PS4, and that they would not do so if it did not do the game justice.

-----------------------------------

So my GoG copy is not redeemable on Steam? Disappointing. Although I only paid 15 buck for it, so I guess I can't complain.

Exentryk

Apart from the item/equipment scaling, another thing that bothers me a little is how the minimap is not locked to north at the top. I don't like it rotating.

1429416932-minimap-w3.gif

Jac_Solar

Apart from the item/equipment scaling, another thing that bothers me a little is how the minimap is not locked to north at the top. I don't like it rotating.

I think that's usually something you can change in the settings.

Also, now that it seems like some people have played it, does anyone know the specifics of the zones/open world aspect of the game? My current impression is that you'll go through a couple of small, self-contained, tutorial like areas, and then you will be introduced to the full game-world/map, which has 2 zones; one, supposedly larger than Skyrim, and another, slightly smaller one.

Since i played bloodborne im all into things i never played, rpg elementa, leveling up carachters etc etc, you guys think i would like this game? Its in the same style as bloodborne, combat and bosses included?

Nothing like BB. In fact, they are wildly different in how they tackle many of their gameplay and story elements.

The Witcher's focus isn't necessarily the combat but rather the world, story, characters and choices you make. I'd definitely recommend you checking it out, especially as it is filled with RPG elements and is simply a fantastic series.

So long as you don't expect the combat precision or depth of BB, you'll be fine.

epmode

This annoyed the hell out of me in The Witcher 2. I still don't think there's a way to lock the minimap.

Man, every time I see this game mentioned my poor :inner PC gamer" cries a little.

I just want to play this on PC so badly, but I also want to wait until new hardware drops.

Such a shame AMD's new cards wont be out for this.

Oh well ..... I guess its either upgrade now or go PS4. Have to wait to see how that version pans out.

RDreamer

Here's an interesting snippet from a Russian preview of the game:

http://alogvinov.com/2015/03/witsher-3-vedmak-2-v-otkryitom-mire/

Well, guess people dont have to worry about The MS marketing deal forcing parity.

I'm telling you guys, the reason we haven't seen any console footage is because of the MS marketing deal. It doesn't force parity, but they probably don't want CDPR releasing footage that shows their system is absolutely the worst place to play the game they're throwing heavy marketing dollars into.

Kezen

Banned
That is still missing scenes, like the scene showing Gearalt lift the sword of destiny to his face and the "realistic skin and hair rendering" caption.

The full video is missing from the net somehow.

That's right. I've been trying to find ever since I saw it but to no avail.

Which kind of lends credence to the idea that those effects may never make it in the final build, if they were demonstrated behind closed doors.

I'm telling you guys, the reason we haven't seen any console footage is because of the MS marketing deal. It doesn't force parity, but they probably don't want CDPR releasing footage that shows their system is absolutely the worst place to play the game they're throwing heavy marketing dollars into.
Nice theory....Except that console footage is out in the wild, on Xbox One.

Javin98

Banned
That's right. I've been trying to find ever since I saw it but to no avail.

Which kind of lends credence to the idea that those effects may never make it in the final build, if they were demonstrated behind closed doors.

Nice theory....Except that console footage is out in the wild, on Xbox One.
They're still hiding the PS4 version except to those who played it, though. I think the most important part of the deal is to prevent the superior console version from being shown.

SaberEdge

PC-version of the most beautiful and only on this platform should play "The Witcher". PS4 on all worthy, but noticeable drop in picture. On the Xbox One, unfortunately, pandemonium horror because of the low resolution, lack of anti-aliasing, cut vegetation and drawn parts (lod'ov) right near the player.

Well, I've seen plenty of opinions to the contrary, saying the Xbox One version looks fantastic.

Like this one:
Today I played the Xbox One version of the game, and it looks great. As a matter of fact, it’s probably the best looking open world game I’ve seen on consoles this generation. It also looks better than quite a lot of much more linear games.

Ultimately, the PS4 version is gonna look a bit better. From what the developers told me, it’s exactly the same thing with more pixels. The PC version is gonna look even better, but does the Xbox One version look any worse than fantastic in its own right? Oh hell no.

If you have an Xbox one and you’re worried that you might get something even remotely close to sub-par, worry no more. The game looks great.

I spent almost two hours with it, and my jaw was dropped every step of the way. If you’ll play on Microsoft’s console, I have no doubts that it’s gonna be the same for you. If your platform of choice is another, it’s gonna look even better than that. Everyone’s going to get served a real treat, at least for what graphics are concerned. What’s not to love? http://www.*****************/2015/0...less-than-great-think-again-it-looks-awesome/

I'm getting the PC version and don't even own an Xbox One, but most opinions I've read seem to indicate that the game is going to look great on the consoles as well.

-TK-

Just read about weapong scaling.. Everything looks and sounds so beatiful and then they totally kill my hype for this game. I hate level scaling loot and it totally ruins many open world games.

Einbroch

Banned
that is fucking brilliant.......pure brilliance, no worries now on whether you can't use an item or have to wait. This better become a standard for games, always something to look forward to and you never know what it may be.
I actually really, really hate this.

If you pick up the awesome badass fire sword with lots of +beast damage or whatever early you're screwing yourself out of a sword that could have helped at a later stage of the game. Plus it makes it so they can't intelligently place weapons in places where they could help you.

I don't like that at all.

PC-version of the most beautiful and only on this platform should play "The Witcher". PS4 on all worthy, but noticeable drop in picture. On the Xbox One, unfortunately, pandemonium horror because of the low resolution, lack of anti-aliasing, cut vegetation and drawn parts (lod'ov) right near the player.

I'm glad I decided to buy a GTX 970 instead of a PS4

Kezen

Banned
These?

http://a.pomf.se/bhyyws.webm
http://a.pomf.se/zzmajw.webm
http://a.pomf.se/drkaqk.webm

I can't for the life of me remember the video they were from, but it was definitely somewhere on youtube that I grabbed it and made these aaages ago. I think it was around Gamescom.

There was a demo at Gamescom 2014 where Nvidia stuff was showcased : tessellation, wind simulation and the likes but I can't find it.

I understand consoles may not pack enough horsepower but I hope the PC version will still have those effects.

artsi

I actually really, really hate this.

If you pick up the awesome badass fire sword with lots of +beast damage or whatever early you're screwing yourself out of a sword that could have helped at a later stage of the game. Plus it makes it so they can't intelligently place weapons in places where they could help you.

I don't like that at all.

Agreed, generally I hate any kind of scaling mechanics in RPG's and this isn't any better than alternatives.

I find a sword on level 10, it's attack power is 50.
Later after leveling to 20, it's still 50.

But if I find it on level 20, the attack power is 100 for some reason.

Who maniac came up with that?
If they want to scale, why not scale the attack power with the current player stats like in the Souls series?

Daverid

There was a demo at Gamescom 2014 where Nvidia stuff was showcased : tessellation, wind simulation and the likes but I can't find it.

I understand consoles may not pack enough horsepower but I hope the PC version will still have those effects.

Ah, well no clue, I don't even recall seeing that one.

If CDPR refuse to release Ultra footage, then we'll just have to wait and see. Hopefully graphical features haven't been ripped out, as that would be a little disappointing.

ironcreed

Banned

Annoying, but I can deal with it. What got on my nerves so bad in TW2 was the map itself and the linear areas. It just felt so restrained and all I could think about while playing was how amazing the game would be if it was set in a huge open world that gave it room to breathe. It felt like that is the kind of game you were in, but the world was not there to be explored. Thankfully, I am getting more than I could have ever asked for here.

tuxfool

Banned
Agreed, generally I hate any kind of scaling mechanics in RPG's and this isn't any better than alternatives.

If they want to scale, why not scale the attack power with the current player stats like in the Souls series?

Because before finding it at level 20 you're using a sword you found at level 10 with attack power ~50.

This way it means that there isn't a critical path, where everybody is tacking quests all in the same order.

Everybody here is only looking at this feature in isolation, without any idea as to how it fits in the game at large.

phaze

Preorder dropped.

jk I never pre order things.

Hated that thing in W2. Mods save us,

Figured this was the best place to post this. Got an extra Nvidia redemption key because I bought a 980 for TW3. Already have TW3, so I'm giving my key away.
Please enter only if you don't already own the game, thanks!
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This is a giveaway for the thread url: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1030336.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (koshunter, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt -- MB-63148909C3F7FF44 - Taken by piratepwnsninja. 36 entrants total.

t1429465650z1.png

Would be cool if you could visit a blacksmith against a hefty fee to upscale your weapon.
I'm assuming those rare weapons look unique.

artsi

Because before finding it at level 20 you're using a sword you found at level 10 with attack power ~50.

This way it means that there isn't a critical path, where everybody is tacking quests all in the same order.

Everybody here is only looking at this feature in isolation, without any idea as to how it fits in the game at large.

We'll see how it works in practice, but in theory this "stat lock" sounds very broken if you can have a rusty iron dagger that has better stats than a rare legendary greatsword, just because you found it on a higher level.

Would be cool if you could visit a blacksmith against a hefty fee to upscale your weapon.
I'm assuming those rare weapons look unique.

Yeah it would be good if you can "reset" the stats to your current level, but then again it wouldn't be needed if the system was better and the weapons scaled always with your current level.

i-Lo

Where did you come to that conclusion. He said the PS4 version is fine.

In fact some of the devs said they will be playing it on PS4, and that they would not do so if it did not do the game justice.

-----------------------------------

That is news to me. Sadly, I can't help but remain skeptical given devs will always tout their own horns so to speak and personally, I feel a touch insulted that CDPR think that they can sell the game to console owners without a shred of new footage by showing off PC footage, which, as astounding as it looks, in all likelihood, won't be visually representative of what most of the players will experience.

I have had this game preordered since it was first announced and still have no idea how the game actually looks exactly a month away from launch.

Figured this was the best place to post this. Got an extra Nvidia redemption key because I bought a 980 for TW3. Already have TW3, so I'm giving my key away.

Super generous. I already have it preordered but good luck everyone!

erawsd

That is news to me. Sadly, I can't help but remain skeptical given devs will always tout their own horns so to speak and personally, I feel a touch insulted that CDPR think that they can sell the game to console owners without a shred of new footage by showing off PC footage, which, as astounding as it looks, in all likelihood, won't be visually representative of what most of the players will experience.

I have had this game preordered since it was first announced and still have no idea how the game actually looks exactly a month away from launch.

So cancel your preorder until you see it or post launch when others can share footage and opinions on the state of the game. I would never preorder something when I am not confident or trusting of the company.

aravuus

Awesome, thank you. Still haven't pre-ordered the game so I hope I'll win lol

I know I should be saving money but fuck it, I gotta be able to play W3 when it comes out

Jo-El

I'm so glad they didn't go with monster scaling. I love being able to wonder into a cave or dungeon that I'm not supposed to be in just yet and getting destroyed.

Very generous :)

On the other side, others believed that there was a lot of female nudity in the game, so there should be male nudity as well. The result is that there’s a lot more male nudity than in previous games, but Geralt still normally wears his underwear.

Finally! Not that I care that much but, equality! ;_____________;

It's happening!

HeelPower

Finally! Not that I care that much but, equality! ;_____________;

It's happening!

They never even showed geralt's butt in any of the games,despite all of the sexual content.

Which is ridiculous to say the least.Geralt's nudity is ultra conservative and the attention was all on the females.

Exentryk

hey Exentryk,

since you posted earlier that you're playing TW2,I am curious to know what you think of the game so far ?

Well, I am still really early (chap 1) and just
killed the Kayran
. The story is full on and you have a lot to take in right from the start. I haven't played W1, so it's extra hard. The combat is animation based, and you can't cancel Geralt's animations and so he is not very responsive (like Noctis in FFXV :p). The combat is just clunky overall with signs and item usage. I'm also not a fan of these WRPG artstyles, since they're all set in this medieval periods and it's all the same. The rotating minimap with no North marker, and no quick button to open the full map also annoys me.

So overall, it's meh so far lol. The game could have used an open world, but that's what W3 is doing. W3 also has a much more fluid and responsive combat, at least looking at the trailers. So, let's see how it goes!

tuxfool

Banned
I'm also not a fan of these WRPG artstyles, since they're all set in this medieval periods and it's all the same. The rotating minimap with no North marker, and no quick button to open the full map also annoys me.!

Most WRPGs are High Fantasy and somewhat removed from medieval styles, the Witcher definitely is much more grounded in medieval styles in that sense. They're fairly different, this is also one of the attractions to the series.

HeelPower

killed the Kayran
. The story is full on and you have a lot to take in right from the start. I haven't played W1, so it's extra hard. The combat is animation based, and you can't cancel Geralt's animations and so he is not very responsive (like Noctis in FFXV :p). The combat is just clunky overall with signs and item usage. I'm also not a fan of these WRPG artstyles, since they're all set in this medieval periods and it's all the same. The rotating minimap with no North marker, and no quick button to open the full map also annoys me.

So overall, it's meh so far lol. The game could have used an open world, but that's what

Make sure you explore all the interiors and the forest in flotsam.

TW2 may not be "open world" but the flotsam and the forrest surrounding it is incredibly dense and filled with interesting things to see.Do the troll quest and Milleena,the quest about the elf being bullied in public,probably hard to miss that one.It involves a certain cave that's almost definitely inspired the one you go through in Episode Duscae(even the enemies are similar too)

There is also a certain optional "possessed" castle of sorts you can find.

Also,I gotta disagree about it being generic looking.The game has a very unique "oil painting" look about it that's different from most WRPGs ;p

erawsd

killed the Kayran

So overall, it's meh so far lol. The game could have used an open world, but that's what W3 is doing. W3 also has a much more fluid and responsive combat, at least looking at the trailers. So, let's see how it goes!

As far as the story is concerned, you didn't miss much by skipping W1, there is very little connecting the two beyond the assassination attempt. TW3 is suppose to do a much better job of easing people in and explaining everything you'll need to know in the prologue.

Top Bottom