• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 PS4 gameplay

ironcreed

Banned
It will! :)

PS4 version btw.

thumbs-up.gif

boskee

Holy Cow. It looks like that god damn awful tattoo that you can get in The Witcher 2 is present in The Witcher 3 if you import your saves. I guess that's one thing that won't be available for console gamers?

Innolis

A friend who got it early came by yesterday. We played about an hour or so (tutorial + a few sidequests).

I expected heavy framerate issues based on what the reviews said but I gotta say that the game kept a solid 30 most of the time. The camera is smooth and the game runs surprisingly well given the amount of stuff onscreen at times.

We did get some serious stuttering at the beginning of some cutscenes though. There was also a 400mb update when we first booted up the game. Not sure if that's the same update the reviewers played with.

The draw distance is insane in this game.

Couple of screenshots:

Denton

Holy Cow. It looks like that god damn awful tattoo that you can get in The Witcher 2 is present in The Witcher 3 if you import your saves. I guess that's one thing that won't be available for console gamers?

Indeed this is importable because people on CDP asked for it and it is not available to console gamers. I suspect there will be more stuff imported from saves that is not included in the import dialogue.

Never played The Witcher and I´m not really into RPG´s, but the vibe is so awesome I decided to pre order the game...Story seems deep and kinda overwhelming for newcomers. Do you guys think I´ll need the strategy guide?

Altairre

I played for quite a while today and so far it is absolutely fantastic. Having played and enjoyed both previous Witcher games it seems they're trying to connect to the books a little bit more in this one (I can only recommend the books, they're really good).

So far I have explored all the points of interest in White Orchard and did a bunch of sidequests though I'm not too far into the main storyline. I'm playing the PS4 version and the game looks really good, what it does exceptionally well is mood. I was riding through a misty forest at night and just stopped to look around and take in the surroundings. Had a couple of framedrops (nothing major though) and one weird visual bug where the water looked like it had a black outline but that went away after I sat Geralt down to meditate for an hour.

The sidequests so far are holding up to what they promised, there is none of the get me x and kill y stuff that was plastered all over Inquisition. I did retrieve a frying pan for a crazy old lady at some point but even that was well done and written. What I really like is that there is almost always some background story or information that you can explore if you want to. You could just kill the ghost that haunts a certain place or you can find out why she is there and what happened to her.

The combat is the only somewhat weaker element. It's more fluid than the W2 combat, you have more options and I do appreciate that they give you both a dodge and a roll but overall I still don't feel like I have enough control over Geralt. It's just not as responsive and precise as I want it to be especially after playing Bloodborne and Dark Souls 2 a bunch.

Overall I'm impressed and can't wait to get back to the main quest.

So how is this going to work with his beard?

Ive seen videos where geralt has long hair and a long beard and another video where he has short hair etc.

Is it possible to customize that?

erawsd

So how is this going to work with his beard?

Ive seen videos where geralt has long hair and a long beard and another video where he has short hair etc.

Is it possible to customize that?

The beard can be shaved and it'll grow back over time. The DLC they're releasing tomorrow will give you additional options but it also disable beard growth if you choose one of the special styles.

Anung

Un Rama
The game does look fantastic. But there are hitches in terms of pop in, frame rate and low texture work. But considering the size of the world and how much is going on I can look past it. I can of like the euro-jank this game has.

Sai

The beard can be shaved and it'll grow back over time. The DLC they're releasing tomorrow will give you additional options but it also disable beard growth if you choose one of the special styles.
Does using one of these DLC styles halt your current beard growth? Or are you forced to go clean-shaven with 'em?

Hope it's the former.

Hypron

Lmao that's awesome. I had it removed it TW2 so it's not relevant to me but it's still fun. I hope I don't miss too much other stuff by playing it on ps4...

erawsd

Does using one of these DLC styles halt your current beard growth? Or are you forced to go clean-shaven with 'em?

Hope it's the former.

Yeah, using the DLC beard styles will halt beard growth. They said if people are choosing a style then they don't want to ruin it.

Sai

Yeah, using the DLC beard styles will halt beard growth. They said if people are choosing a style then they don't want to ruin it.
Good, good. :D

Can't believe there's only a day left before it unlocks on PSN. Passing the time with Witcher 1 & 2 really helped.

I hope this game doesn't burn you out with incredibly stupid sidequests and "distractions" like Dragon Age Inquisition did. All the collect this and collect that shit pissed me off.

PrawnyNZ

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I've been on media blackout for this. Picking it up tomorrow when it releases here.
Is this first or third person, or both? If both for those who have played it is one better?

Newman96

So it's basically like other witcher games and Dragon age combined?

Seems like I was in a prologue area (although it was still large) and the map has since opened up.

Loving this so far, really great sense of atmosphere and I've always loved The Witcher universe since playing 2. Minor gripe is the fall damage seems pretty harsh.

jurec84

Unconfirmed Member
I love it. Just got to my first "consequence flashback" where Geralt made a short summary of why I have fucked up some people's lives because of my choices. Game is really something else, the characters are amazing!

abundant

I hope this game doesn't burn you out with incredibly stupid sidequests and "distractions" like Dragon Age Inquisition did. All the collect this and collect that shit pissed me off.

From what I've read and seen, the side quests look to be better than in DAI. Even the real simple fetch quests usually have a good/interesting story involved or have you interacting with intriguing NPC.

Never played The Witcher and I´m not really into RPG´s, but the vibe is so awesome I decided to pre order the game...Story seems deep and kinda overwhelming for newcomers. Do you guys think I´ll need the strategy guide?

I'm in your situation, never played a witcher game, but love RPGs. Picking up the game tomorrow though

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I've been on media blackout for this. Picking it up tomorrow when it releases here.
Is this first or third person, or both? If both for those who have played it is one better?

I think your media blackout has been a bit too strong, if you didn't know if the game was 1st or 3rd person!

Gbraga

Sorry if this was asked many times before, but what are people playing it on higher difficulties thinking about the balance? Is it just a pain in the ass because every enemy is a sponge or is it done in actually meaningful and challenging ways that force and reward you to prepare for each enemy?

that should be the ot subtitle.

the witcher 3 |ot| which version and how does it run and look?

No "The Witcher 3 |OT| Mad booties on deck"?

Top Bottom