• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 | Review Thread

Tenebrous

mU94Zpb.jpg

Looks like a Mortal Kombat X fatality.

Worse part of all these great Witcher 3 reviews is that Witcher 2 came out on my birthday back in 2011. I had never heard of the series or Neogaf. I started it and fell in love with the characters and lore. Bought the books, bough the original game(hell at this point at least 8 times as gifts). If CDPR would have kept by the unspoken/unwritten tradition that I had established with them, I'd be playing the sequel to the game that opened my eyes to the series on my birthday again. SHAME on you CDPR.

Shame-On-You_o_93288.gif

First thing I noticed was vegetation draw distance increased.

Orca

http://www.starnews.ca/arts_and_entertainment/article_b0aa7100-fdb3-11e4-9168-2710e99aa7e4.html

I enjoyed my run through the story, but was most impressed by how CD Projekt Red implemented side missions, the kind of missions that are normally mindless filler in an RPG: fetch this, kill that, bring (x) amount of (y) to (z), that kind of thing. Instead I found myself getting backstory on the life of people in the little collection of huts that constitutes a town, then playing medieval Batman and sleuthing out clues as to what really happened. Even in these throwaway missions, which feel anything but throwaway, you get chances to play Geralt how you want. *minor spoiler for secondary missions*
Do you let a monster kill one last time, if it’s someone that deserves it, or is your Geralt a by-the-books slayer? When tensions hit a breaking point between humans and non-humans in a village, do you turn a man in knowing he’ll be put to death or keep quiet and try to calm things down?

Wiktor

Diversity and representation are not BS reasons.

Sure...but I feel like complaining about lack of racial diversity in Witcher is a bit racist, even if it's done with best intentions and just caused by ignorance.

This is a slavic fantasy. Slaves aren't exactly well represented in gaming. It's very rare to see games using those themes and cultures. And this is a ethnic group that has been distriminated against in the past and even today is in western world (altough to much smaller degree obviously).

So we finally get an amazing game inspired by slavic culture and people like Polygon reviewer apparentl thing the whole ethnic group, it's history and culture and meaningless and instead it should follow generic multi-racial fantasy setting. Imagine if we would get a big budgeted RPG set in fantasy land inspired by african culture and mythology. Would it be a problem that there's no white people in the game? Of course not. We would be celerating getting great ethnic fantasy injecting much needed diversity into gaming. Witcher series does exactly the same thing. It's just sad not everyone can see and aprecieate that.

I played through most of the first game before it started to drag for me. The second I found very inaccessible.

So far, I'm loving this game. I guess I just needed that complete open world freedom.

"Comparisons will inevitably be drawn with Dragon Age and Skyrim; if you ask me, Wild Hunt makes them both look stiff and characterless." oof

Game reminds me a lot of Fable when it comes to detail and the amount of interesting NPCs. Of course, this is on a much, much grander scale. That's a good thing.

I loved Dragon Age: Inquisition, it was my game of the year, but there is definitely a lot more life and detail in Witcher 3.

I played through most of the first game before it started to drag for me. The second I found very inaccessible.

So far, I'm loving this game. I guess I just needed that complete open world freedom.

Yeah, the first game did nothing for me, and the second one, while better, still didn't grab me.

W3 has its claws in me like so many drowners.

OCD Guy

While I don't hold much value in metascores, let alone the metacritic user scores but I'm surprised at the high user score. It's got a 9.0 on ps4 and xbox one.

Normally the user scores are skewed by the amount of trolls.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
My little Steam review if anyone cares to read it:

From this point on all future RPGs will be compared to Witcher 3, and most will fall short of creating such a wonderful experience for the player.

I'm 24 hours in so far and it feels like I haven't even scratched the surface, there's just so much to do and see a simple quest can take hours because you're constantly distracted by the world around you, and what a beautifully crafted world it is.

The game has already received a patch that fixes most of the day one issues, including the worst problem of them all, the inventory freeze bug. The devs have also improved performance, graphics and stability in this short time, which fills me with hope for the future, I expect the game to be in a near perfect state within a month or two.

Now, while this is possibly the best RPG I've ever played it does have flaws, the biggest being the clunky controls, especially while swimming. You will often find yourself struggling to loot certain items, even mounting your horse, Roach, who just so happens to be the stupidest horse on the planet (his AI isn't great) can be a frustrating task. That being said I'm sure they can and will tighten the controls and improve poor Roach's AI in the near future.

The game runs pretty great for me, at 60fps 99% of the time (few minor dips here and there, which hopefully will be ironed out in a future patch) on mostly ultra settings, I have lowered foliage distance to high as it's an absolute killer, and shadows also to high as I can't notice a difference graphically but it pushes me to the magical 60fps locked line. I have obviously also disabled hairworks as the performance hit is too great for what you get. I personally feel Geralt looks better with it off, however monsters do look fantastic with it on (where's the monsters only option?). 60fps locked with hairworks on requires more than my GTX 970, sadly.

So should you buy it? YES. If you enjoy RPGs you will get your monies worth and more out of The Witcher 3 as it's a truly fantastic experience.

Technical information:

i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz, MSI GTX 970 4G, 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz, SSD, Windows 8.1 64
Ultra preset, foliage distance high, shadows high, SSAO, hairworks off, 1080p
60fps locked 99% of the time

Zakalwe

Banned
Angry Joe gets his own thread usually. No reason not to for this game!! (mainly because they serve well for entertainment purposes)

Not any more. Modbot says no more you tube celeb single video threads.

Modbot said:
We do not need individual threads for reviews from Youtube celebrities. We also don't appreciate people making threads for videos which they have not watched themselves.

Qassim

I don't really read reviews prior to playing games (I find they have little value to me, I can generally determine if I'll like a game or not before hand), but I do like to see what people thought and compare to my own feelings afterwards.

Twice now Oli Welsh has summarised my feelings very well of the two really standout games for me of the past 5 years:

The Witcher 3:

This is why I love The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. It is crass in some places and overreaching in others, but despite its grandeur and its fantastical setting, it is a game made by, for and about human beings. It's lewd and perverse and poetic and hot-blooded. It's huge yet crafted; its systems are purposeful and it doesn't have a whiff of design by committee. It will last you months, yet not waste your time. Above all, it has a vivid, enduring personality, something that is exceedingly rare among its breed of mega-budget open-world epics (and that will probably be rarer still once Hideo Kojima and Konami part ways later this year). For my money, it's the greatest role-playing game in years.

Portal 2:

Portal is perfect. Portal 2 is not. It’s something better than that. It’s human: hot-blooded, silly, poignant, irreverent, base, ingenious and loving. It’s never less than a pure video game, but it’s often more, and it will no doubt stand as one of the best entertainments in any medium at the end of this year. It’s a masterpiece.

I haven't finished the game yet but I've played at least 60 hours and there's still a ton of meaningful content to go through. I can't remember the last time I've gone into a game day 1 with a ridiculous amount of hype and the end product managed to exceed my wildest expectations.

Granak

Neo Member
Another one for the thread:

APGNation's review of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Summary:

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is CD Projekt RED’s finest achievement by far. It is an open-world RPG masterpiece that features superlative writing with organic characters, stories that are worth hunting down, and a scope that few games can stand beside. The world has never been bigger or more alive than in Wild Hunt. They have done the original source material proud with their adaptation of the original Polish works and, in the process, set a new standard for what an open-world fantasy roleplaying game should be. Few games offer as much depth to its questing, satisfaction in its combat or the need to seek out every single dialog option imaginable. It improves upon the outstanding Assassin of Kings in nearly every single way. This is a must-play.

Top Bottom