• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 | Review Thread

RDreamer

Roche is a badass dude, but Iorveth's path is quantifiably superior. Definitely check out some of the recap videos littered throughout these threads (or do a YouTube search). Totally worth knowing the story of 2, it's pretty great.

I really don't get all the love for Iorveth's path. Really, the only thing it does better is tell you that Saskia is the dragon. Other than that it's kind of a toss up. And getting on the path is fucking strange. He had almost no redeeming qualities in the first act and Geralt has no reason at all to go with him instead of Roche. Roche helped his ass out a ton. Why betray that? People say it's because Iorveth wants to leave faster and Roche wants you to take out Loredo... well... you still have to do shit for each of them. With Iorveth it's stealing the damned barge, and with Roche it's taking out a fucking bastard.

Then there's the fact that in act 3 you've got to do some freaking weird choices to get the best actual effects. If you want to save Saskia and Triss, you have to go with Phillipa and save Saskia. Why in hell's name Geralt would ever trust Phillipa at that point and even do that instead of going to Triss is well beyond me.

Plus while in act 1 Iorveth appears to be cynical and jaded in act 2 (if you take his path) you get to see his other side. Great stuff.

Maybe I missed some stuff, but honestly while he was a slight bit better than Act 1, I didn't think he was really that terribly redeemed in Act 2. He really didn't do a helluva lot, really.

Neverfade

But isn't Iorveth basically a terrorist? Killing human civilians or am i missinformed?

He kills people only because his people are being killed. Its not so black and white.

People say it's because Iorveth wants to leave faster and Roche wants you to take out Loredo... well... you still have to do shit for each of them.

You don't really know that theres more to do at the time, and jacking a boat and sailing the fuck on is unquestionably quicker in a timeline sort of perspective. I definitely picked Iorveth because I wanted to go after Triss and not dally.

Why in hell's name Geralt would ever trust Phillipa at that point

He didn't. She's bound almost that entire time.

Remember that Geralt generally doesn't give two shits about what's going on around him. There's not a lot of "right and wrong" in his decision-making unless it affects the people that he cares about.

Another great thematic reason for picking Iorveth's side. No shits given about Loredo at that point.

Ushay

Looks like I'll be doing at least 2 playthroughs to see how each set of decisions play out. Basically Iorveth and Roch game, Iorveth being my first and main game.

kershner

Banned
I agree, CDPR has handled this whole downgrade thing very poorly and they'll (deservedly) take a hit to their reputation as an honest and transparent developer. Its pretty much their fault that the discussion has gone on for this long and is culminating at the release of the game, if they had said it 8 months ago then I think the discussion would be very different. Its their first major offense so hopefully this is something they'll learn from moving forward when it comes to Cyberpunk's tease cycle.

I also agree that some people have been consumed by cynicism, so much so that its more like insanity. I genuinely don't know when people are joking/trolling anymore. For instance, NX's Xbox's pre/post patch performance and he shows that they had to reduced AF from 16x to 8x, only in cutscenes, to help improve cutscene framerate. Its something no one would ever notice unless you are running both games side by side, and even then its such a subtle difference... yet, theres already someone calling it "bait and switch" and others panicking over how to uninstall the patch. Its just baffling to me.

CDPR is handling the downgrade scandal with way more directness than it deserves, if you ask me. They're addressing it at all when they totally don't have to. The downgrade argument only matters to the handful of posters in the NeoGAF threads and a few other places around the internet. It all seems way more important that it actually is because that thread is relatively active. It'll all be forgotten about soon after the game's release because The Witcher 3 is obviously a great looking game despite what some dudes on the internet with very little knowledge of the realities of game development say.

Kin5290

But isn't Iorveth basically a terrorist? Killing human civilians or am i missinformed?
Roche's Blue Stripes are well known for their rape, torture, and murder of suspected insurgents and their "sympathizers", IIRC. They're both pretty bad on the atrocities front, for different motivations.

Well isn't Roche basically SS? Witcher 2 is one of the few games that really succeeded in blurring the lines between good and bad.

Placing modern ideologies and morals on a medieval world doesnt really work that well. Peaceful demonstration would probably end in mass executions or similar. The northern nobilities are a bunch of greedy shits who don't give a fuck about the good of the people.

Witcher world is brutal, man. Just like ours. (except they have dragons and shit)

Yeul

He does, but as others have said it's not as simple as him being a terrorist. Iorveth actually has a lot of great lines in the game addressing this exact point. Roche calls him out and Iorveth's like "Would you call me a terrorist?" No one will grant us our freedom, witcher, we must win it for ourselves." Which is true. Killing innocent humans is in no way right, but the Temerian Blue Stripes are just as equal in their brutality. Iorveth says, "Efficient, ruthless, and cruel they're your version of the Scoia'tael...They kill when ordered to without hesitation, of course the same happens to regular soldiers only these special units actually enjoy killing elves."

Iorveth makes a reference to TW1 with another elven leader named Yaevinn. Yaevinn thought of war as poetry whereas Iorveth knows that Yaevinn had "beautiful dreams" but war is not something to be taken lightly and that many of his goals were unrealistic. Iorveth is really complex, I really love siding with him because his character is very well-spoken and there is a trust that builds between he and Geralt by the end.

Staf

Love what i'm reading regarding the choice. Too often in RPGs the choices are black and white. Hmm, i have no idea who i am going to side. Thankfully i have two days to figure it out!

Seems like like twitch streamers will be getting PC codes today? A popular streamer for years on twitch/justin, dansgaming just tweeted that he'll be streaming PC version today. https://twitter.com/Dansgaming/status/599992966506278914

RwVdw2e.png

Dynasty8

20 hours in...been playing since Friday. Fuck, this game is addicting. I'm so immersed.

Now I consider the combat to be MUCH improved over TW2. I'm getting pretty good at using signs, tools, and my weapons appropriately while playing on Death March.

taybul

Wow I assumed this was going to unlock 5/19 midnight but it looks like it's unlocking 7pm EST tomorrow!

*runs to computer to start preloading*

cjp

Hmm, debating whether I should pick this up. I initially wasn't going to bother but I'm getting more interested by the second.

Is Amazon the cheapest for PS4 in the UK?

ps3ud0

Hmm, debating whether I should pick this up. I initially wasn't going to bother but I'm getting more interested by the second.

Is Amazon the cheapest for PS4 in the UK?
Tesco Direct have 2 games for £80 and a £10 off voucher so each will end up being £35. Got a good range to choose from, only problem is that they do take payment up front...

Check out HUKD for the details :)

ps3ud0 8)

Courage

My favorite parts of the game so far are the detective-esque side quests. They can reveal alternative ways to complete your objective, like in the Precious Cargo side quest gameplay vid.

cjp

Tesco Direct have 2 games for £80 and a £10 off voucher so each will end up being £35. Got a good range to choose from, only problem is that they do take payment up front...

Check out HUKD for the details :)

ps3ud0 8)

Huh, that's given me something to think about. So that'd be Witcher 3 and either Uncharted, Battlefront or even maybe ESO for £35 each. Hmmmmmmm.

Thanks!

Sothpaw

I am really wary of this game after being burned so bad by DAI. Do we know if the open world is actually interesting in this game? I guess what I am getting at is I can't bring myself to buy this game if it turns out to have a million gather shards/close rifts/pick flowers/nonsense that DAI shat out.

Also gamespot indicated that the combat is really easy, which could get tiresome after 20 hours.

Neverfade

I am really wary of this game after being burned so bad by DAI. Do we know if the open world is actually interesting in this game? I guess what I am getting at is I can't bring myself to buy this game if it turns out to have a million gather shards/close rifts/pick flowers/nonsense that DAI shat out.

Also gamespot indicated that the combat is really easy, which could get tiresome after 20 hours.

Witcher side quests have thus far been hilarious or interesting. Don't see any indication this has changed.
Also Their highest difficulties (which I doubt most reviewers played on for time constraint purposes) have been traditionally plenty difficult.

Sothpaw

Witcher side quests have thus far been hilarious or interesting. Don't see any indication this has changed.
Also Their highest difficulties have been traditionally plenty difficult.

Right but this is the first open world Witcher and gamespot of all places said it is easy. Time will tell I suppose.

Right but this is the first open world Witcher and gamespot of all places said it is easy. Time will tell I suppose.

They played the game on normal. Later cranked it up to difficult and that solved the problem. So if you are worried about the game being too easy go for hard/very hard.

Orca

There's a whole bunch of alchemy ingredients to pick, but you don't have to do any of that. The encounters in the wild have been fun so far. Ran into my first bear while walking from one place to another and I wasn't ready for that at all.

What are you looking for in the open world to make it "actually interesting" though? For me, random encounters like that are enough. For some people they want scripted stuff happening...and there's none of that, at least in the time I've had with it.

Playing on the second highest difficulty the combat has been fine so far. I still get swarmed by Nekkers from time to time, but at least I'm past having any issues with Drowners or wolves lol

erawsd

CDPR is handling the downgrade scandal with way more directness than it deserves, if you ask me. They're addressing it at all when they totally don't have to. The downgrade argument only matters to the handful of posters in the NeoGAF threads and a few other places around the internet. It all seems way more important that it actually is because that thread is relatively active. It'll all be forgotten about soon after the game's release because The Witcher 3 is obviously a great looking game despite what some dudes on the internet with very little knowledge of the realities of game development say.

This isn't the thread for it so I'm just going to say that I disagree and that if they handled it better we wouldn't even be calling this a scandal. I do agree that its totally meaningless to the greater market. The discussion certainly didn't hurt Watchdog's sales -- it did even better than Ubisoft was expecting. So I'm sure the game is going to be hugely successful regardless. I bet most of the people complaining are still going to buy it anyway.

Annoys me a bit that they unlock the game for these people, and everyone that paid for it just gets to sit and watch them play

They're basically free advertising for the game, a regular gamer/player is not. They let them play it early so people can see it and hopefully sway those who weren't going to buy it to go pick it up. Do you complain about reviewers getting it early too?

They're basically free advertising for the game, a regular gamer/player is not. They let them play it early so people can see it and hopefully sway those who weren't going to buy it to go pick it up. Do you complain about reviewers getting it early too?

Yeah, I mean I understand why they do it. Still a bit annoying though.

Don't watch the streamers and this practice stops. Easy.

"This practice" is surely just as bad as seeing that review sites have posted footage of and played the game pre-release?

Oh no, Playstation Access posted gamepay of the game before release, and.. they're playing it!! Burn the witch!

Sure Twitch is newer than old gaming blogs from days gone by but that doesn't mean it's inherently evil.

Yasae

Banned
No, I'd say they brought much of this on themselves with "in-game footage". In-game for a version which will never see the light of day maybe...

Please don't say they weren't partly responsible. That's lying of the highest order.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Well the comparison thread has been locked as I was posting this, hopefully this will be ok in here, otherwise please feel free to remove this post.
Anyway, I've just finished the first prototype of my frame rate analysis system, it's extremely rough right now, but I think it's not too bad in terms of accuracy.
So I use the two clips from the comparison video I did yesterday, and it yielded some pretty interesting results:
This is PS4:
tw3_ps4.jpg

This is X1:
tw3_x1.jpg

Quick explanation for the last 3 info. Max dupes is the maximum of times a frame was duplicated in the video, the two pace info show how many times (and why) the game deviated from a perfect 29.97 fps. Short pace means a frame was shown immediately after the one before (at 29.97 each frame is supposed to be duplicated once), long pace means that a frame has been duplicated at least twice. Obviously you want these to be as close to 0 zero as possible for the game to look smooth.
So yeah, the X1 version is unlocked, and (at least for me) it leads to very very ugly frame pacing problems, and in the end it looks way less smooth than on PS4.

ACE 1991

Some german site that messed around with the PC version said AMD cards ran fine, correct? Were there any benchmarks, or was it just some quick impressions? ANY word on how cpu-intensive the game is? I have a 2500k (@4.3ghz) which is listed as the minimum spec CPU; seems a little crazy to me.

Denton

Some german site that messed around with the PC version said AMD cards ran fine, correct? Were there any benchmarks, or was it just some quick impressions? ANY word on how cpu-intensive the game is? I have a 2500k (@4.3ghz) which is listed as the minimum spec CPU; seems a little crazy to me.

2500K is perfectly fine, let alone at 4.3ghz. The requirements are overblown.

Denton

Are you assuming this, or have reports related to PC performance confirmed as much?

I think PCGameshardware reported that even underclocking CPU to 2ghz was fine.
I mean the game has to run on 1.6ghz jaguar which has IPC of some ancient desktop CPU.
It is common sense really.

For the record, I have 2500K at 4ghz and do not intend to upgrade it this entire generation, since it destroys the jaguar in consoles.

ACE 1991

I mean the game has to run on 1.6ghz jaguar which has IPC of some ancient desktop CPU.

For the record, I have 2500K at 4ghz and do not intend to upgrade it this entire generation, since it destroys the jaguar in consoles.

Wow! And yeah, I guess you're right. Man, the 2500K might be the single best piece of PC hardware I've ever owned.

antonz

Wow! And yeah, I guess you're right. Man, the 2500K might be the single best piece of PC hardware I've ever owned.

2500K is one of those rare PC components that sneak out every decade or so that are just too damned good and it causes the companies to shit around for a awhile

Quick explanation for the last 3 info. Max dupes is the maximum of times a frame was duplicated in the video, the two pace info show how many times (and why) the game deviated from a perfect 29.97 fps.
So if I'm understanding correctly, "max dupes" are when the game drops below 30 fps, correct?
2500K is one of those rare PC components that sneak out every decade or so that are just too damned good and it causes the companies to shit around for a awhile
The last one before was Radeon 9800 Pro

Well the comparison thread has been locked as I was posting this, hopefully this will be ok in here, otherwise please feel free to remove this post.
Anyway, I've just finished the first prototype of my frame rate analysis system, it's extremely rough right now, but I think it's not too bad in terms of accuracy.
So I use the two clips from the comparison video I did yesterday, and it yielded some

Quick explanation for the last 3 info. Max dupes is the maximum of times a frame was duplicated in the video, the two pace info show how many times (and why) the game deviated from a perfect 29.97 fps. Short pace means a frame was shown immediately after the one before (at 29.97 each frame is supposed to be duplicated once), long pace means that a frame has been duplicated at least twice. Obviously you want these to be as close to 0 zero as possible for the game to look smooth.
So yeah, the X1 version is unlocked, and (at least for me) it leads to very very ugly frame pacing problems, and in the end it looks way less smooth than on PS4.

sorry if i haven't read previous posts, but is that supposed to have the day 1 patch cdpr is talking about, or the patch that the reviewers got? thanks for the info.

Bl@de

Better wait for the PC review versions. According to PCGH it looks different (better LOD etc., screens on their page) and because of that has a slower performance by 15-20%. For a full analysis better wait for benchmarks after release.

Denton

Yes, I did not expect it would last me 8 years when I bought it for 250 bucks four years ago.

But I am not sure if I should be happy about its longevity, or sad about the lack of progress.

Top Bottom