• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 | Review Thread

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
So I have both consoles but I like the xbox controller better.

I dunno what to go with :(

flip a coin :p

they both look great. So it depends which controller you prefer and achievement/trophies. Also this looks like a game you will be playing a lot so buy it on your primary console which you use daily.

Krakn3Dfx

Preloaded on both ps4 and PC, hopefully gamepad support is solid on the PC, Witcher 2 gamepad on the PC has some serious issues unfortunately, but I can't imagine that'll be the case this time around.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Since this unlocks tomorrow night when is the OT going up? Also does anyone know why the PC version hasnt been released to people yet? Is it a disaster or something?

Are there any videos of the world state selection thing for the consoles? I'm curious to know what exactly will be imported from my PC save.

SliChillax

I don't know why I'm excited for this game. Played Witcher 2 for a few hours but never bothered to complete it. Was never a fan of fantasy RPG but I can't wait to play this for some reason.

Snowboarding minigame is in

vpPgNq.gif

krpiper

flip a coin :p

they both look great. So it depends which controller you prefer and achievement/trophies. Also this looks like a game you will be playing a lot so buy it on your primary console which you use daily.

Truthfully the frame rate is more important to me which is why I am conflicted, that review a page back is saying the One version is more stable?

Tovarisc

How tables have turned.

First console people were super worried about quality of TW3 on them and demanded footage, but now that retail code of PC version isn't nowhere to be seen PC crowd is becoming worried it's buggy unoptimised mess :D

Chariot

How tables have turned.

First console people were super worried about quality of TW3 on them and demanded footage, but now that retail code of PC version isn't nowhere to be seen PC crowd is becoming worried it's buggy unoptimised mess :D
The PC crowd is in panic for weeks and months now.

Staf

By the way, the second choice in that video, roche or iorveth, seems very complicated. Anyone mind helping a new guy to the witcher series out with this? Because from the snippet of information she gave in the video it seems like you really need more context to make that decision.

Yeah

Ive been reading the downgrade thread and laughing

If you are so concerned with how the tessellation works on the grass in a 200 hour + RPG then you are playing games for the wrong reason

But GAF gonna GAF

I'm honestly of two minds about this kind of stuff. On the one hand, I do think that consumers have a point about disliking publishers misleading us and then refusing to own up to it. Like even now, when they're addressing the controversy, it should be simple to just make an honest assessment that acknowledges that while they are proud of what they have accomplished, they were not able to match what they showed in the Sword of Destiny trailer. The customers yelling the loudest often just want any small victory in terms of coaxing PR people to be more transparent. It shouldn't be that difficult to own what happened and still express pride in the final product. When someone is producing a side-by-side comparison where Exhibit B looks noticeably worse than Exhibit A, Johnny PR should be able to acknowledge that in a manner that doesn't sound like they're admitting that the final product is terrible. Patronizing concerned customers like that isn't good PR.

On the other hand, I do grow increasingly tired of consumers who just seem to want to be cynical about everything. Like, no matter how minor the content, if there's anything like retailer-exclusive pre-order bonuses, or announced DLC, or any hint of bullshots, or any of a myriad of other things that are just commonplace and really not worth getting outraged about, you can count on any of a number of people who are going to express their disdain for these practices they don't like. And they'll do it across 50 threads about the game because by golly being cynical and saying things like "I'm not going to let publishers bend me over a barrel and have their way with me" in reference to $60 video games that will drop in price quickly if one can exercise patience makes them cooler than all of you other sheeples who'll eat up whatever your corporate overlords tell you to.

Chariot

Downgrade discussion has been raging for months now yeah, but this is otherkind worry about PC version. Basically "Is it unoptimised clusterfuck that they want to hide?" worry.
Huh, why? Everything I heard from that side was positive. The only thing that seriously cuts in is Hairworks and it's missing the nvidia patch.

By the way, the second choice in that video, roche or iorveth, seems very complicated. Anyone mind helping a new guy to the witcher series out with this? Because from the snippet of information she gave in the video it seems like you really need more context to make that decision.

Obviously Witcher 2 spoilers

After the murder on Foltest, Kingslayer Letho uses his Scoia'tael contacts to travel through the forests and ends up in the town of Flotsam. Geralt and Roche go in pursuit and also end up here. Letho finds Iorveth, the local Scoi'atael leader, too hard to manipulate and betrays him by approaching one of his lieutenants with a plot to depose of Iorveth. The lieutenant doesn't bite and is mortally wounded by Letho and later captured by the Flotsam militia. Geralt learns of the betrayal by interrogating him and goes with the information to Iorveth. Together, backed up by a Scoia'tael squad, they go to confront Letho. Roche and his special forces were lying in wait however and a fight ensues. Here is the first choice:

- You help Iorveth: Iorveth manages to escape the ambush and Commandant Loredo of Flotsam uses this fight as an excuse to stage a pogrom, many of the nonhuman inhabitants of Flotsam are slaughtered.
- You help Roche: Iorveth is captured and put on the prison barge, as a result a feast is
held in Flotsam.

Regardless of your choice, Letho escapes from the chaos, goes to Flotsam, abducts Triss and forces her to teleport the two of them to Upper Aedirn near the town of Vergen. With this information, Geralt can either approach the Scoi'atael or Roche to travel by boat further up the Pontar river to Upper Aedirn. This is the big choice which has a MAJOR influence on act 2.

- If you choose Roche, you will help him deposing of Commandant Loredo first who turns out to be a traitor to Temeria by cozying up with King Henselt of Kaedwen. You infiltrate his mansion, kill him and depart for the military camp of King Henselt who is besieging Vergen.

- If you choose Iorveth and the Scoi'atael, you mount an attack on the prison barge to free the Scoi'atael (and eventually Iorveth) who were captured. Then you set sail for the besieged dwarven town of Vergen to join Saskia and her militia in the fight against Henselt.

If you want some more background, I suggest reading this blog.

Staf

Obviously Witcher 2 spoilers

After the murder on Foltest, Kingslayer Letho uses his Scoia'tael contacts to travel through the forests and ends up in the town of Flotsam. Geralt and Roche go in pursuit and also end up here. Letho finds Iorveth, the local Scoi'atael leader, too hard to manipulate and betrays him by approaching one of his lieutenants with a plot to depose of Iorveth. The lieutenant doesn't bite and is mortally wounded by Letho and later captured by the Flotsam militia. Geralt learns of the betrayal by interrogating him and goes with the information to Iorveth. Together, backed up by a Scoia'tael squad, they go to confront Letho. Roche and his special forces were lying in wait however and a fight ensues. Here is the first choice:

- You help Iorveth: Iorveth manages to escape the ambush and Commandant Loredo of Flotsam uses this fight as an excuse to stage a pogrom, many of the nonhuman inhabitants of Flotsam are slaughtered.
- You help Roche: Iorveth is captured and put on the prison barge, as a result a feast is
held in Flotsam.

Regardless of your choice, Letho escapes from the chaos, goes to Flotsam, abducts Triss and forces her to teleport the two of them to Upper Aedirn near the town of Vergen. With this information, Geralt can either approach the Scoi'atael or Roche to travel by boat further up the Pontar river to Upper Aedirn. This is the big choice which has a MAJOR influence on act 2.

- If you choose Roche, you will help him deposing of Commandant Loredo first who turns out to be a traitor to Temeria by cozying up with King Henselt of Kaedwen. You infiltrate his mansion, kill him and depart for the military camp of King Henselt who is besieging Vergen.

- If you choose Iorveth and the Scoi'atael, you mount an attack on the prison barge to free the Scoi'atael (and eventually Iorveth) who were captured. Then you set sail for the besieged dwarven town of Vergen to join Saskia and her militia in the fight against Henselt.

If you want some more background, I suggest reading this blog.

Cheers mate. Looks like i've got some reading to do at work tomorrow, lol.

erawsd

I'm honestly of two minds about this kind of stuff. On the one hand, I do think that consumers have a point about disliking publishers misleading us and then refusing to own up to it. Like even now, when they're addressing the controversy, it should be simple to just make an honest assessment that acknowledges that while they are proud of what they have accomplished, they were not able to match what they showed in the Sword of Destiny trailer. The customers yelling the loudest often just want any small victory in terms of coaxing PR people to be more transparent. It shouldn't be that difficult to own what happened and still express pride in the final product. When someone is producing a side-by-side comparison where Exhibit B looks noticeably worse than Exhibit A, Johnny PR should be able to acknowledge that in a manner that doesn't sound like they're admitting that the final product is terrible. Patronizing concerned customers like that isn't good PR.

On the other hand, I do grow increasingly tired of consumers who just seem to want to be cynical about everything. Like, no matter how minor the content, if there's anything like retailer-exclusive pre-order bonuses, or announced DLC, or any hint of bullshots, or any of a myriad of other things that are just commonplace and really not worth getting outraged about, you can count on any of a number of people who are going to express their disdain for these practices they don't like. And they'll do it across 50 threads about the game because by golly being cynical and saying things like "I'm not going to let publishers bend me over a barrel and have their way with me" in reference to $60 video games that will drop in price quickly if one can exercise patience makes them cooler than all of you other sheeples who'll eat up whatever your corporate overlords tell you to.

I agree, CDPR has handled this whole downgrade thing very poorly and they'll (deservedly) take a hit to their reputation as an honest and transparent developer. Its pretty much their fault that the discussion has gone on for this long and is culminating at the release of the game, if they had said it 8 months ago then I think the discussion would be very different. Its their first major offense so hopefully this is something they'll learn from moving forward when it comes to Cyberpunk's tease cycle.

I also agree that some people have been consumed by cynicism, so much so that its more like insanity. I genuinely don't know when people are joking/trolling anymore. For instance, NX's Xbox's pre/post patch performance and he shows that they had to reduced AF from 16x to 8x, only in cutscenes, to help improve cutscene framerate. Its something no one would ever notice unless you are running both games side by side, and even then its such a subtle difference... yet, theres already someone calling it "bait and switch" and others panicking over how to uninstall the patch. Its just baffling to me.

Neverfade

Cheers mate. Looks like i've got some reading to do at work tomorrow, lol.

Roche is a badass dude, but Iorveth's path is quantifiably superior. Definitely check out some of the recap videos littered throughout these threads (or do a YouTube search). Totally worth knowing the story of 2, it's pretty great.

Staf

Roche is a badass dude, but Iorveth's path is quantifiably superior. Definitely check out some of the recap videos littered throughout these threads (or do a YouTube search). Totally worth knowing the story of 2, it's pretty great.

But isn't Iorveth basically a terrorist? Killing human civilians or am i missinformed?

realcZk

Eww, playing with a controller.

I played W2 on PC with a controller and actually preferred it, I tend to prefer controllers for RPGs with melee combat I guess, just feels right. Dark souls sorta forced me to and ever since I've actually enjoyed it. Thinking about playing TW3 this way as well. The MKB controls in TW2 were great though.

Jedi2016

But isn't Iorveth basically a terrorist? Killing human civilians or am i missinformed?
There's a lot more going on than "good guy/bad guy". Iorveth was betrayed by Letho and is your best bet at hunting him down, so he's a perfectly viable choice.

Remember that Geralt generally doesn't give two shits about what's going on around him. There's not a lot of "right and wrong" in his decision-making unless it affects the people that he cares about.

There's a lot more going on than "good guy/bad guy". Iorveth was betrayed by Letho and is your best bet at hunting him down, so he's a perfectly viable choice.

Remember that Geralt generally doesn't give two shits about what's going on around him. There's not a lot of "right and wrong" in his decision-making unless it affects the people that he cares about.

Plus while in act 1 Iorveth appears to be cynical and jaded in act 2 (if you take his path) you get to see his other side. Great stuff.

Dr.Acula

Banned

Consider that the source material is Polish, and that their history in WWII is basically getting steam-rolled in a month, and spending the better part of a decade fighting as a resistance not an army.

spotted a decent deal. will buy it soon. i saw some stores selling it yesterday (didnt buy it because it was a pretty bad deal).. does anybody know if the streetday was broken by some retailers?

KorrZ

Plus while in act 1 Iorveth appears to be cynical and jaded in act 2 (if you take his path) you get to see his other side. Great stuff.

I really should replay Witcher 2 at some point. I only ever played Roche's path.

Too late now though! Full steam ahead on 3.

Top Bottom