• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 | Review Thread

ironcreed

Banned
It's a huge open world game with thousands of NPC's and you chose a small dimly lit room with one character in it to make your point

The actual footage of that room looks insanely good. Then there is also the balcony view from that room:

pI3xHj1.gif

Oh yes, I can totally see that running on the 360 and PS3.

Tigress

I literally feel like I'm the only person on GAF without a copy of this damn game already.

I don't have it either if it makes you feel better. And I'm not going to try to until Tuesday. Mainly cause last time I tried to get a game early I was foiled and doesn't seem my luck to get it early.

carlsojo

Is there a list of the different difficulty levels? I'm curious which ones I'll need to play or how high I'll have to go to get the platinum.

Hyphen

Infinite_Daremo said:
Has Amazon UK dispatched anyone's order yet? It says dispatch estimate was yesterday....

Not mine. Dispatch is down for 18th with delivery on 19th (Collectors Edition) - I changed my delivery method to one-day delivery when I heard some people hadn't had any dispatch messages on Saturday with their First Class deliveries. This turned out to be true with mine so I changed. Hopefully that hasn't made things worse, despite what my order now says.

carlsojo said:
Is there a list of the different difficulty levels? I'm curious which ones I'll need to play or how high I'll have to go to get the platinum.

Just the Story! [EASY]
Story and Sword! [NORMAL]
Blood and Broken Bones! [HARD]
Death March! [HARD]

There is a trophy for completing the game on Death March.

carlsojo

Not mine. Dispatch is down for 18th with delivery on 19th (Collectors Edition) - I changed my delivery method to one-day delivery when I heard some people hadn't had any dispatch messages on Saturday with their First Class deliveries. This turned out to be true with mine so I changed. Hopefully that hasn't made things worse, despite what my order now says.

Just the Story! [EASY]
Story and Sword! [NORMAL]
Blood and Broken Bones! [HARD]
Death March! [HARD]

There is a trophy for completing the game on Death March.

Is death March the one with permadeath?

Not mine. Dispatch is down for 18th with delivery on 19th (Collectors Edition) - I changed my delivery method to one-day delivery when I heard some people hadn't had any dispatch messages on Saturday with their First Class deliveries. This turned out to be true with mine so I changed. Hopefully that hasn't made things worse, despite what my order now says..

The status has now changed to packing for me. So with Sunday's postal delay it should arrive Tuesday. I don't think I've had a game pre ordered for launch day in years.

antonz

Would love to know why Amazon US cannot deliver Collectors Editions with Release Day Delivery. I understand they are huge boxes and all but they had time to get that stuff out to the right facilities to facilitate release day. I mean I have 2 amazon warehouses within like 20 miles of me

I found The Witcher 2 easy enough on the hardest setting and managed to get all the achievements. Should I play The Witcher 3 on Death March Difficulty?

Dynasty8

Debating if I should start on normal or hard. Probably hard and lower to normal if it gets to challenging.

It's very easy on normal. Hard isn't too challenging either. I'm 15 hours into Death March right now and it plays perfectly.

Worst case scenario you can lower it if it gets too difficult for you.

Thanks, that's good to know. May give it a shot.

Edit: If the map doesn't show question marks for undiscovered locations then I'll probably play it on normal. Second time around I'll hit the story only on death march.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
So we have a main quest completion time from a fellow GAFer.

1 day 16 hours 48 mins 51 seconds to finish the main quest without side quests

Sounds amazing. CDPR weren't kidding when they said 24hour speedrun.

Can't wait to get lost in this game.

Fliesen

It's very easy on normal. Hard isn't too challenging either. I'm 15 hours into Death March right now and it plays perfectly.

Doesnt a higher difficulty setting also reduce the experience you get from quests? So there'll be a much "tighter" skillpoint budget to experiment with.

Anyone got actual numbers on this? (Completing a task at normal vs hard vs death march?)

murgo

Doesnt a higher difficulty setting also reduce the experience you get from quests? So there'll be a much "tighter" skillpoint budget to experiment with.

Anyone got actual numbers on this? (Completing a task at normal vs hard vs death march?)

God, I hope there are no XP penalties for Death March. I wanna play it that way too, but XP penalties might turn me off.

Staf

Think i'll start with Hard since i'm new to the series but still enjoy a challenge. If the game is enjoyable enough i'll do a second playthrough on hardest.

Acinixys

Gaf can't enjoy games anymore. Its all about grass now.

Yeah

Ive been reading the downgrade thread and laughing

If you are so concerned with how the tessellation works on the grass in a 200 hour + RPG then you are playing games for the wrong reason

But GAF gonna GAF

VnycSxTl.jpg

My World of The Witcher Compendium arrived today via Amazon Prime! Got the game yesterday though. It's great so far. Technical issues still remain but they're hiccups in the grand scheme of things. The only thing that really seems to bother me is the fact that the framerate during cutscenes is still a bit iffy sometimes post patch. And Geralt can be a little bit difficult to control at times, not sure why.

What are the rules for posting pictures of the insides of artbooks? Would be great to share some of the pages on here. Compendium is amazing.

Ophiuchus

How many PC reviews will be added to this thread apart from PC gamer?
It would be nice to have seperate thread (maybe original thread) for PC version of TW3.

gocubs

Easy and Normal you get all of your health back and on Hard and Death March you have to drink potions and eat food to regain health. That correct?

ufo8mycat

Yeah

Ive been reading the downgrade thread and laughing

If you are so concerned with how the tessellation works on the grass in a 200 hour + RPG then you are playing games for the wrong reason

But GAF gonna GAF

Yup I have gone in there for laughs. It's insane. People in there would enjoy gaming more if they weren't so concerned about graphics.

abundant

Easy and Normal you get all of your health back and on Hard and Death March you have to drink potions and eat food to regain health. That correct?

Yes. On Easy and Normal, you can meditate to get all of your health back, but on the other two difficulties, you must use potions or eat food to regain health..

VnycSxTl.jpg

My World of The Witcher Compendium arrived today via Amazon Prime! Got the game yesterday though. It's great so far. Technical issues still remain but they're hiccups in the grand scheme of things. The only thing that really seems to bother me is the fact that the framerate during cutscenes is still a bit iffy sometimes post patch. And Geralt can be a little bit difficult to control at times, not sure why.

What are the rules for posting pictures of the insides of artbooks? Would be great to share some of the pages on here. Compendium is amazing.

Got my compendium too. It has to be the best that Dark Horse has made (minus the Hero's Guides to Elder Scrolls Online but that shouldn't count) and this is coming from one who loves their coffee table-style books.

Psykoboy2

How many PC reviews will be added to this thread apart from PC gamer?
It would be nice to have seperate thread (maybe original thread) for PC version of TW3.

This is from RPS:
Irritatingly, CD Projekt has yet to send out PC review code. Any review you’ve read or seen has been based on the PS4 version of the game.

That pretty much goes along with the emails I've gotten about review copies so I'm not sure where PC Gamer got theirs. The only thing I know about the PC version is that it's been floating around torrent sites for a good while now.

Ophiuchus

This is from RPS:

That pretty much goes along with the emails I've gotten about review copies so I'm not sure where PC Gamer got theirs. The only thing I know about the PC version is that it's been floating around torrent sites for a good while now.

Actually PC Gamer released preview (observations) and they stated that review for PC is coming.But some PC gaming sites did their review based on PS4 edition which is weird.
I asked this question because metacritics still hasn't updated review scores for X1 & PC.

Psykoboy2

Actually PC Gamer released preview (observations) and they stated that review for PC is coming.But some PC gaming sites did their review based on PS4 edition which is weird.
I asked this question because metacritics still hasn't updated review scores for X1 & PC.

Well, according to the PR company I get my review code from - there's no PC or X1 copies to review yet. Originally only folks with PS4 dev kits could review the game. Final code for PC, X1, and PS4 would be going out tomorrow or even launch day. It's really kind of shitty, honestly, with the size of a game like this to not even give reviewers at least a weekend to put some time into the game before launch.

Top Bottom