• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 | Review Thread

ACE 1991

2500K is one of those rare PC components that sneak out every decade or so that are just too damned good and it causes the companies to shit around for a awhile

Yes, I did not expect it would last me 8 years when I bought it for 250 bucks four years ago.

But I am not sure if I should be happy about its longevity, or sad about the lack of progress.

Yeah. Intel made a very powerful chip, but at the same time the market has stagnated.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
So if I'm understanding correctly, "max dupes" are when the game drops below 30 fps, correct
Nope, long pace means it drops below 30, dupe should be at 1 all the time for perfect 29.97, if we get into a long page than it means dupe is > 1, and the higher it is, the worse it looks.

sorry if i haven't read previous posts, but is that supposed to have the day 1 patch cdpr is talking about, or the patch that the reviewers got? thanks for the info.

Both versions running on the 1.01 patch. We do not know if it's the day1 patch or not, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't.
I just did another quick test with a horse sequence (from the first fight with the ghouls to the griffon scene), with these results:
PS4: fps: 29.55 max dupe: 3 short pace: 38 long pace : 80
X1: fps: 32.33 max dupe: 4 short pace: 319, long pace: 67

I'm usually pretty good at detecting framerate by myself, and I could have sworned the X1 version had a much worse framerate than PS4. I guess getting slightly higher than 30 fps means the frame pacing is completely screwed and it makes the game look worse. It's just baffling why they didn't lock the game to 29.97, since as shown by the long pace counter the game would get close to perfect 29.97 than the PS4 version...

Pre-ordered the PS4 Version this morning, I'm so excited!

tumblr_mff8cbdgQB1qhjbxeo2_250.gif

antonz

Yeah. Intel made a very powerful chip, but at the same time the market has stagnated.

Oh no doubt. I mean Ivy Bridge when it came out was supposed to be a big leap over Sandy Bridge then Sandy Bridge proved to be way too good so it was a very tiny incremental step forward.

AMD of course shit the bed with its CPUs and Bulldozer never even approached what it was hyped to be.

kershner

Banned
No, I'd say they brought much of this on themselves with "in-game footage". In-game for a version which will never see the light of day maybe...

Please don't say they weren't partly responsible. That's lying of the highest order.

Yeah, they brought this on themselves. The wrath of a handful of internet commenters...who definitely still bought the game.

Meanwhile game is selling outrageously well and receiving 'one of the best RPGs ever' from reviews. Ya gotta realize at some point that asset/style changes over the course of development just isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things, especially when the final product is as stellar as TW3 is. It's just a thing that happens in videogame development.

Mister Wolf

Got the game early on Xbox and i must say its great. My store sold out of the ps4 versions so i just went ahead and bought it on Xbox. I haven't had any issues with framerate bothering me at all.

Nope, long pace means it drops below 30, dupe should be at 1 all the time for perfect 29.97, if we get into a long page than it means dupe is > 1, and the higher it is, the worse it looks.

Both versions running on the 1.01 patch. We do not know if it's the day1 patch or not, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't.
I just did another quick test with a horse sequence (from the first fight with the ghouls to the griffon scene), with these results:

I'm usually pretty good at detecting framerate by myself, and I could have sworned the X1 version had a much worse framerate than PS4. I guess getting slightly higher than 30 fps means the frame pacing is completely screwed and it makes the game look worse...

going by that info, it seems that they locked the ps4 to 30 fps and they didn't for the xbone. 29.55 and 29.72 at max fps seems to support that. i remember the uncharteds were at 29.97 all the time and do not deviate from that.

i wonder if this has something to do with v-sync moreso than an unlocked framerate. if there is a way to get a median instead of a mean on framerates, that might tell us more. what if the mean framerate actually meant more frames are being displayed in some timeframe vs the others? or is that what frame pacing is? because wouldn't that naturally increase the mean fps?

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Personally, I think that the game looks great with the only negative being pop-in but that's been in every game that I have played on PS4 so no biggie. In the end, even if the game was/is downgraded, who cares as long as the gameplay is great and the game itself is worth playing through? To me, too many visual whores nowadays. Visuals don't mean a damn thing is the gameplay sucks or if there's bugs and glitches. *coughACUnitycough*

Sai

Just ignore that shit. Controller was fine in TW2, and it will be more than fine here.
It'll probably be years before I play this on a PC, but I've thought for a while that analogue sticks for movement and mice for aiming/selection would be ideal. Do those gamepad accessories with analogue sticks from Logitech & Razor play nice with games like this?

Majmun

Where's the best place to go to for Witcher newbies like myself?

I want to know more of the story and world before I'll play the game tomorrow.

KAOS

Been enjoying the game (X1 version) over the weekend and I can't stop playing it! Kudos to CD PR on a fantastic job! This gen just got it's Skyrim\Red Dead Redemption caliber game!

Neverfade

Except he has to trust what she's saying. He's possibly trading Triss's life on the word of someone completely untrustworthy.

I guess we're just going to see this from two different perspectives. He doesn't have to trust a mage bound in dimeritium shackles. He clearly saw she didn't want to die after what happened in the dungeon, so he's got all of the leverage.

Leb

i wonder if this has something to do with v-sync moreso than an unlocked framerate. if there is a way to get a median instead of a mean on framerates, that might tell us more. what if the mean framerate actually meant more frames are being displayed in some timeframe vs the others? or is that what frame pacing is? because wouldn't that naturally increase the mean fps?

I'm pretty sure this is already telling us what we need to know. To achieve a steady 30fps on a display with a fixed 60hz refresh rate, every frame will need to be duplicated precisely once. From the stats posted above, that means that, e.g., 80 frames on the PS4 took too long to prepare and so the previous frame was displayed 3 times instead of the desired 2.

Just watched the very well done nxgamer xbox one analysis on youtube. Surprised to see that the framerate is unlocked on the x1. I'm hoping cdpr considers locking it in order to fix the frame pacing, which is what causes the stutter in the game.

Salih

question regarding the story so far before playing witcher 3 (sry, if this isn't the appropriate thread for this):

[witcher 2 spoilers]
at the end of witcher 2 we learn that Geralt with the help of Letho found the wild hunt and also Yennefer who was captured by the wild hunt. He makes a deal with the wild hunt - his soul for the release of Yennefer. The king of the wild hunt accepts and yennefer gets released, apparently suffers from amnesia and gets taken to the nilfgaard empire by Letho because it is supposed to be safe for her there. But what happened to Geralt at this point? did he really give his soul to the wild hunt? Then why isn't he dead? At the beginning of witcher 1 we see geralt fleeing from the wild hunt, also suffering from amnesia, getting unconscious and found by witchers from kaer morhen.

SpokkX

I'm usually pretty good at detecting framerate by myself, and I could have sworned the X1 version had a much worse framerate than PS4. I guess getting slightly higher than 30 fps means the frame pacing is completely screwed and it makes the game look worse. It's just baffling why they didn't lock the game to 29.97, since as shown by the long pace counter the game would get close to perfect 29.97 than the PS4 version...

Interesting!

I have watched a lot of footage of both (with patches) and imo it looks like ps4 drops lower when much smoke/spell effects and fog etc is present. This is mostly during battles and not when running around

Check this ps4 video out at about 2:30..

LOTS of framedrops in this battle, looks to run at about 20fps constantly :(

(Minor spoilers obviously...)
http://youtu.be/_fNG3xX0m8o

Would love to see the same mission/battle on xbone...

M_A_C

Well the comparison thread has been locked as I was posting this, hopefully this will be ok in here, otherwise please feel free to remove this post.
Anyway, I've just finished the first prototype of my frame rate analysis system, it's extremely rough right now, but I think it's not too bad in terms of accuracy.
So I use the two clips from the comparison video I did yesterday, and it yielded some pretty interesting results:
This is PS4:
tw3_ps4.jpg

This is X1:
tw3_x1.jpg

Quick explanation for the last 3 info. Max dupes is the maximum of times a frame was duplicated in the video, the two pace info show how many times (and why) the game deviated from a perfect 29.97 fps. Short pace means a frame was shown immediately after the one before (at 29.97 each frame is supposed to be duplicated once), long pace means that a frame has been duplicated at least twice. Obviously you want these to be as close to 0 zero as possible for the game to look smooth.
So yeah, the X1 version is unlocked, and (at least for me) it leads to very very ugly frame pacing problems, and in the end it looks way less smooth than on PS4.

Cool info, thanks. PS4 version does indeed look smooth.

How's the pop in on the ps4 version that has me worried I hate pop in?
I honestly don't think the pop-in is that bad. But I only played like an hour or so. The pop-in is mostly the noticeable for the shadows on grass, which is usually the case with open world games on consoles.

Khasim

question regarding the story so far before playing witcher 3 (sry, if this isn't the appropriate thread for this):

[witcher 2 spoilers]
at the end of witcher 2 we learn that Geralt with the help of Letho found the wild hunt and also Yennefer who was captured by the wild hunt. He makes a deal with the wild hunt - his soul for the release of Yennefer. The king of the wild hunt accepts and yennefer gets released, apparently suffers from amnesia and gets taken to the nilfgaard empire by Letho because it is supposed to be safe for her there. But what happened to Geralt at this point? did he really give his soul to the wild hunt? Then why isn't he dead? At the beginning of witcher 1 we see geralt fleeing from the wild hunt, also suffering from amnesia, getting unconscious and found by witchers from kaer morhen.

Nobody knows. That's one of the loose ends that W3 should tie up.

DAY 1 patch changelog

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt – Day-1 Patch Changelog:

Major changes:
  • Support for DLCs
  • Multiple stability issues fixed
  • Overall performance improvements
Quests and game:
  • Variety of cosmetic quest improvements
  • Journal objective fixes
  • Quest mapping fixes
  • Dialogue flag fixes
  • Quest balancing issues
  • Scene triggering improvements
Gameplay systems:
  • Boat behavior
  • AI improvements
  • NPC spawn strategy improvements
  • Combat balancing
  • UI optimizations

Read more: http://wccftech.com/witcher-3-day1-...metic-performance-improvements/#ixzz3aQuykBoz

http://wccftech.com/witcher-3-day1-...es-variety-cosmetic-performance-improvements/

SpokkX

DAY 1 patch changelog

Major changes:
  • Support for DLCs
Quests and game:
  • Quest mapping fixes
  • Dialogue flag fixes
  • Quest balancing issues
Gameplay systems:
  • Boat behavior
  • AI improvements
  • Combat balancing
  • UI optimizations

Read more: http://wccftech.com/witcher-3-day1-...metic-performance-improvements/#ixzz3aQuykBoz

http://wccftech.com/witcher-3-day1-...es-variety-cosmetic-performance-improvements/

Yeah version 1.01..

"Day one" is a bit of a wierd name since the patch has been out a couple of days on both xbone and ps4

Yeah version 1.01..

"Day one" is a bit of a wierd name since the patch has been out a couple of days on both xbone and ps4

That's how every Day One Patch works though, no? It's a "Day One" patch because it'll be there on Day One for everyone to download.

erawsd

Yeah version 1.01..

"Day One" is more a reference to the fact that its a patch that will be available on "day one" of launch. They almost always release them early for reviewers though.

erawsd

Does aII the aforementioned free DLC come out tomorrow or wiII it be spread out?

So actually I guess the first DLC won't be out until the 20th.

Q: What’s the plan? When can I expect the DLCs to be released?
A: The plan is to release a new DLC bundle (each bundle contains two DLCs) on a weekly basis, following the game’s launch May 19th, 2015. The first DLC bundle will be released the next day on May 20th. The next bundle will be available for download a week after that, on May 27th, the next on June 3rd, and so on. The first bundle will contain the Temerian Armor Set and a Beard and Hairstyle Set for Geralt. The second bundle will contain an additional quest and an alternative look for one of the game’s main characters -- Yennefer of Vengerberg.

Crumbtiny

CE won't be here until Wednesday night (via Amazon). Oh well, I guess I waited this long, another day won't hurt. Still, just knowing I could play it tomorrow night. How much do I really care about physical extras...

Virdix

CE won't be here until Wednesday night (via Amazon). Oh well, I guess I waited this long, another day won't hurt. Still, just knowing I could play it tomorrow night. How much do I really care about physical extras...

We can get through Amazon's trials together... Don't cave when that sweet map and necklace are almost yours. I almost want to double dip on digital though so I can play tomorrow...

Pretty sure I haven't seen this posted yet.

The Witcher 3 PC Ultra 1440p
https://www.flickr.com/photos/127773964@N03/sets/72157652536729480

I think those are from the preview build, we had a guy post a comparison of the preview versus review build, I think?

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/commoncfm/comparison/indexb2.cfm?id=125693

Dynasty8

DAY 1 patch changelog

Major changes:
  • Support for DLCs
Quests and game:
  • Quest mapping fixes
  • Dialogue flag fixes
  • Quest balancing issues
Gameplay systems:
  • Boat behavior
  • AI improvements
  • Combat balancing
  • UI optimizations

Nice! Even without the updates the game has been running very smooth for me during the last 20 hours on the X1. The only main problem I've come across a few times is some audio hiccups during some battles and scenes...nothing too bad and it only lasts about 2-3 seconds when it happens...and I'm sure it'll be fixed.

The game is absolutely amazing so far.

Top Bottom