• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 vs. Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Vote for your Game Of The Generation!

• The Witcher 3

Votes: 452 58.5%
  • Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Votes: 320 41.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

.Pennywise

Banned
This match is part of the Game of the Generation Tournament. For rules, details and current brackets go to the Tournament thread (Click)

UOEx0eZ.jpg

theHFIC

Hmmmmm a gameplay system based on weapons constantly breaking or a story system that relies on inundating you with quests and sub-quests on top of more quests and sub-quests.

I'll stick with The Last of Us Part 2, but thank you for the effort of coordinating this whole thing. It must have been quite an undertaking.

teezzy

Banned
Witcher 3 is the game I built a PC for and made me fall head over heels for the platform

BotW is the game I bought a Switch for and made me realize that I prefer narrative to just pure open ended gameplay.

This was the generation where I fully converted from Nintendo fan boy to PC Xbox mastermind and these two games were the deciding factor in that. Witcher 3 gave me the experience I wanted so badly from BotW, that when I finally played it and experienced its piss poor dungeons I couldn't help but love Witcher 3 even more.

Thanks CDPR

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

I'm playing botw right now, seems good so far. I'm just at the beginning plateau but I'm not too wild (no pun intended) about the controls. I'm sure they will grow on me.

Also, the performance out doors isn't really the best either is it?

I'll vote once I have a chance to get further into it.

Playing it docked.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
The Witcher 3 set a new baseline for graphics and story telling and its gameplay ideas influenced countless games, BotW's influence on the industry was limited to one direct Chinese clone.

NinjaBoiX

I need to try the Witcher 3 again, thought it was clumsy and awkward the first time I gave it a try.

Loved BotW from start to finish.

engstra

Played Zelda first week of getting a Switch, really need to give it a second try. Witcher just does not interest me whatsover, fantasy settings do not click with me. Between God of War and Last of Us 2 for GOTG for me.

Arkam

This is a vote for Content vs gameplay mechanics. Looks like content takes an early lead.

I voted BOTW. Love me some W3 (own it on 3 platforms) but BOTW is on another level. You could add content to BOTW to make it as large/deep as W3.... WAAAY larger effort ask them to bring those mechanics(physics, electricity, magnetism, heat/cold, fire) to W3. Crazy part is, despite the much more robust content in W3, I player BOTW more (by an order of magnitude) because it was just fun to play.

Last edited:

Yoboman

Witcher 3 was very much of the same, tired open-world game design we'd been getting for years and years. It still manages to be a great game on the strength of its writing and world-building, but it's not in the same class as Breath of the Wild.
I love when people accuse games who popularised genres or gameplay staples of being generic because every other dev went on to copy them

turtlepowa

Banned
I knew a game with let's say mediocre gameplay would win, but i would have put my money on a Sony game here on GAF. Loved Zelda, but Witcher 3 was just so perfect in most aspects of the game, i had to vote for it.

Mhmmm 2077

Evil is Evil. Lesser, greater, middling… Makes no difference. The degree is arbitary. The definition’s blurred. If I’m to choose between one evil and another… I’d rather not choose at all.

But in this case voting for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is not evil, so I did that.

GeorgPrime

Banned
I knew a game with let's say mediocre gameplay would win, but i would have put my money on a Sony game here on GAF. Loved Zelda, but Witcher 3 was just so perfect in most aspects of the game, i had to vote for it.

Aside all the average Assasins Creed Generic Open World Copy and Paste Content... delivers Zelda only a nice phyiscs based open world. Thats all. The weapons system is annoying after a while and the Story has some good points for a Zelda game but thats it. Everything else like Dungeon Design and Boss Fights are just average and weaker than ocarina of time for example

Witcher 3 raised the bar for Open World design and no other game came close to it now. As soon as a game focuses on Assasins Creed Style Gameplay the open world turns to shit.

Last edited:
I first thought he was talking about Skyrim, Odyssey or Horizon Zero Dawn.... or all the other standard generic Assasins Creed Style open worlds like Zelda.
When he said tired open-world I thought for sure he was talking about Breath of the Wild. You know, the boringly-empty-devoid-of-any-life-50-shrines-that-all-play-basically-the-same-as-the-only-adventure-your-sword-is-made-of-glass-oh-hey-look-we-put-a-shooting-mechanic-from-every-other-game-isnt-our-combat-so-deep mechanic game. I think I spit out my coffee on that.

The BOTW fans are so close, they're almost self-aware, in their criticism throwing out words like "tired" and "boring" or "bad game mechanics" as they stan for BOTW. It's fucking laughable.

Last edited:
Top Bottom