• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 vs. Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Vote for your Game Of The Generation!

• The Witcher 3

Votes: 452 58.5%
  • Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Votes: 320 41.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lethal01

And thats just a DLC which was even better than Witcher 3 itself.

EDIT:

And by the way....

1581106986_Tipps-The-Witcher-3-Romance-Yennefer-Triss-und-alle.jpg

Triss >>>>>>> Zelda ;)

ANY MEMBER OF THE GERUDO RACE >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> triss

Urbosa.png

Urbosa_Artwork_Breath_of_the_Wild.png

Last edited:

Fbh

Really enjoyed both.

There's definitely some areas where BOTW outperforms The Witcher (Mainly exploration) but as a whole experience I'd still go with the Witcher 3. The world was just a joy to experience and it's the first game that has ever kept me fully engaged on a 150+ hours play through

SinDelta

For all its flaws I think Breath of the Wild is still one of the best games ever made (even if Ocarina of Time is still the more balanced game regarding bosses, dungeons and gear progression.). It is the near realization of the Zelda mythos, makes up for Skyward Sword and has my vote.

delay this competition and let cyberpunk take the crown
Gonna be epic between this, Metroid Prime 4, Star Citizen, Elden Ring, Half-Life 3, the Elder Scrolls VI and Dragons Dogma 2.

I'm joking about Cyberpunk delays, I hope so at least.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
Botw didn’t have dungeons and the weapon breakage gimmick is shit. Still loved the game sure... BUT...

Witcher 3 is the greatest fantasy adventure video game to date.

I love when people accuse games who popularised genres or gameplay staples of being generic because every other dev went on to copy them
I wasn't "accusing" The Witcher 3 of anything. This seems overly-defensive.

When he said tired open-world I thought for sure he was talking about Breath of the Wild. You know, the boringly-empty-devoid-of-any-life-50-shrines-that-all-play-basically-the-same-as-the-only-adventure-your-sword-is-made-of-glass-oh-hey-look-we-put-a-shooting-mechanic-from-every-other-game-isnt-our-combat-so-deep mechanic game. I think I spit out my coffee on that.

The BOTW fans are so close, they're almost self-aware, in their criticism throwing out words like "tired" and "boring" or "bad game mechanics" as they stan for BOTW. It's fucking laughable.
I just found open-world game design to be stagnant for a long time prior to Breath of the Wild. Open-world games were a mind-blowing, magical thing for me at the time of GTA3 and Morrowind, but I just didn't see much advancement in the genre over the next 15 years outside of natural improvements in visuals and scope. What was the benefit of a game being open-world if the designers were going to build this big, beautiful world, only to make it an exercise in checking icons off a map? Assassin's Creed III was pretty much the point where I had enough. Open-world games had become this experience where the "world" element felt like an afterthought, and what separated one AAA open-world game from another pretty much came down to the quality of the content you'd get from each icon; the world itself was secondary. I wasn't feeling like I was a part of them at all, I was just completing a checklist.

And for me, The Witcher 3 didn't really deviate from that template at a time where I really wanted a game to do so. Yes, the quality of the content is very high and that's what separates it from just being "another open-world game", from it being something Ubisoft would put out. I don't think the game as-a-whole is tired and boring, but its core open-world template was something I was over and done with well before that game came out. When I think back on Witcher 3, I think about memorable quests and characters and Gwent and lots of other things that would have been great whether the game was open-world or not, and that's ultimately why I think it's Top 25 of the Generation "great" but not among the very best.

I was worried I'd have that same experience with Breath of the Wild, but I didn't. The world itself took center-stage, and exploring it provided a sense of discovery that I hadn't gotten from an open-world game in a really long time. This is a case where, if Breath of the Wild wasn't open-world, I think it would be a substantially worse video game. It took full advantage of a design philosophy that nobody was really doing anything with for some time. That's the big thing that really separates these games in my eyes.

I get the criticisms of Breath of the Wild, and I certainly have my own (I think it's clearly better than The Witcher 3 for the purposes of this poll, but it's not my GOTG either). And not everyone is looking for the same things from these respective games. I recognize that plenty of people weren't bothered by the things I found "more of the same" about Witcher 3, and as a result may not think BotW is all that special. The things that are great about Witcher 3 may matter more to others. That's all fair. I disagree that my criticism is laughable or that I'm stanning for Zelda, though.

A.Romero

My most played SP game ever: Witcher 3.

Great graphics
Great sound
VA so good a pro actor tried to imitate it for the series
Huge map
Great quests
Great writing, mature themes based on a good book series

It can't go any other way. Witcher 3 is indeed the game of the gen.

Thanks to the Netflix series it will probably become very mainstream. I seriously doubt we have seen the last of Geralt.

mcjmetroid

Both are excellent at completely opposite things.

It's a very hard call. I voted breath of the wild because I knew it wasn't going to win.

It's a draw for me.

Tschumi

Early days, but it looks like W3 is winning. Considering that I routinely call this my #1 game of all time, I'm not surprised - nonetheless, i think it should win because it is just 10 times the game, in terms of content, gameplay, collaborative effort, ambition.. hell, breath of the wild may even have been inspired by some Nintendo dude playing w3 and thinking it was the shit~ dunno if the dates work for that but i wouldn't be surprised.

Best game's gonna win. So say my steam reviews.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom