• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 vs. Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Vote for your Game Of The Generation!

• The Witcher 3

Votes: 452 58.5%
  • Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Votes: 320 41.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

A.Romero

Just wanted to let you all know that I'm having a great time reading this thread. I wish all discussions were like this.

Breath of the Wild is not a bad game and it has great gameplay. I know it's a sin to say but gameplay is not everything that matters in a game... And you know what? That's fine. Nintendo has it's audience and that audience really doesn't care about games of the generation.

When was the last time a Nintendo game won a game of the generation award either here on GAF or elsewhere? It doesn't mean the games are not good, it's just that most people that still like their games just don't participate as much on platforms like GAF.

On the other hand, Witcher 3 does attract crowds like us.

It has been like this for a long time. When Iwata looked for his blue ocean he wasn't looking for games of the generation awards.

How much of a mental midget do you have to be that a fan run tournament, one that in the grand scheme of things is just for fun and won't even be acknowledged by the winner's dev team, results in you seething and on the verge of tears?

You should probably just request a permanent ban if The Witcher 3 wins, because you've shown time and time again across various threads and subject matters that you simply cannot handle people having an opinion that differs from yours, and this current mini meltdown of yours just further proves that.
It's carlosrox carlosrox . He's just passionate about good games. His reactions to playing Mario 64 were priceless. That's when I understood him.
VSloHeB.png
Carlos knows Mario 64. He's a good dude. He gets very excited about games.

MagnesG

Banned
Ever since it came out literally every open world game is trying to emulate Witcher 3's game/quest design.

How many games are influenced heavily by Breath of the Wild?

Only that shitty Ubisoft game about Greek Gods with the retarded name that isn't even out yet and is about to bomb itself into irrelevance within a week
You forgot a 70% china copycat that made 250 millions in the opening month.

the tld;r is that I am Witcher series fan who bounced hard off W3 and I am a Zelda skeptic who thinks BotW is the best 3D Zelda if not the best Zelda.

Gave up on Witcher 3 after a few dozen hours, even though I loved Witcher 1 and 2, giving multiple playthroughs to both of those games. Witcher 2 is my favorite in the series. Witcher 3 failed to live up to it. It's not a terrible game, it's just an average game. The breadth of the world makes the average parts even more unbearable. Packing all these NPCs into a smaller, cohesive, branching storyline like in W2 would've given players all the juicy parts they loved (NPC dialogue, unique quests, intrigue, meaningful choices, etc etc) without the parts that detracted from that exact experience (vast expanses littered by ? and BatVision gatherables). It just fell flat for me, despite being a fan.

Breath of the Wild took me two years and 150+ hours to beat. I never wanted it to end, and it's one of the rare open-world games that lets me jump in after weeks away without feeling lost. Unlike Witcher, I was not a major fan of the Zelda franchise. I've played the series since the NES, but I've only loved a few here and there. Breath of the Wild is the best 3D Zelda, and unless the sequel surpasses the mechanics / physics then I can see myself replaying BotW many times in the future. It's definitely a game that must be played on it's own terms. I understand the complaints, but they honestly never bothered me. The overworld feels dangerous and vibrant, but in that "simplified and refined" Nintendo way. It's not the most complex simulation, but the grass, fire, wind, lightning, water, ice, persistent arrows, bombs, momentum, etc all interact in meaningful ways. The cooking and the climbing stamina make things more challenging. Would it be easier if Link didn't shiver? Sure! Would it be easier if weapons didn't break? Yeah! I enjoyed this game because it was more challenging that the average PuzZelda snoozefest, where every destination is telegraphed by an unskippable NPC dialogue and the overworld is an afterthought.

A critical area where these games contrast one another is controls, or I guess you could call it "playability". Breath of the Wild offers countless creative and bizarre ways to traverse an area, to fling yourself across the map, to glide long distances, to speed on horseback, etc, all while leaping and dodging and fighting with cohesive physics, enemy reactions, etc. Zelda has the fine-tuning of a proper action game. You can set aside the equipment and stats and underneath there's still an engaging combat system with dynamic traversal mechanics. There are few open-world games that control this well while also offering so many options and physics. Zelda strikes what I believe to be the perfect balance of arcade simplicity and open-world simulation complexity. Witcher 3 falls short in all those same respects. The combat feels okay but a bit disjointed. Movement is also okay. But it's an RPG first, an action game second, and a world simulation third. Zelda is the inverse: an open-world simulation first, an action game second, and an RPG third.

Last edited:

Lethal01

How much of a mental midget do you have to be that a fan run tournament, one that in the grand scheme of things is just for fun and won't even be acknowledged by the winner's dev team, results in you seething and on the verge of tears?

You should probably just request a permanent ban if The Witcher 3 wins, because you've shown time and time again across various threads and subject matters that you simply cannot handle people having an opinion that differs from yours, and this current mini meltdown of yours just further proves that.

Calm down bro, pretending you're mad is part of the fun of the tournament.

Where's the fun if we all admit we don't care about the results and they really don't matter.
You're acting like one of those idiots who would vote for the witcher.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

Where's the fun if we all admit we don't care about the results and they really don't matter.
Those people are wrong, and also probably scared of girls. Just a theory.
So you were just pretending to be retarded? A game that lets you play as girls = they are scared of girls haha! Such bant such raugh!

itsArtie

Hey hey gacha elements are just the best right? Obviously gambling on the stats is the epitome of fun.
Even if you don't spend any money on the game, default characters + free unlocks are enough to shit on BOTW, so many different abilities and combinations, let's not talk about the whole artifact system.

carlosrox

Banned

Shhhh! They weren't supposed to know!

Let em keep thinking my poem was actually serious!

I even submitted it in hopes of fame!

For real!

Moonjt9

I really liked Zelda but I guess not as much as everyone else. I still think Link to the Past is the best one. But BOTW did bring the series back to its roots and almost felt like a reboot of sorts. If it had proper dungeons, it would without a doubt be the best of the series, but the lack of them really held it back from true greatness.

The Witcher 3 redefined RPGs in my opinion. Gone for the most part were stupid filler side quests. The world and its characters felt real. The graphics were insane and had such real world feel that you could get lost in it. And it was huge. The game just kept going. And with all the dlc it truly is one of the biggest most fully realized worlds in gaming.

And Geralt. I imagine it was the first introduction to this character for many people, and he is so good. One of the all time greats. Side characters as well were so well acted.

and I don’t care what other people say, the combat was good. Yes it is not Bloodborne combat but not many games are. I loved playing it and slashing apart enemies combined with the magic.

flawless game.

MagnesG

Banned
Even if you don't spend any money on the game, default characters + free unlocks are enough to shit on BOTW, so many different abilities and combinations, let's not talk about the whole artifact system.
It is easier to forgive because it's free. Endgame artifact system is the shit where you pray to gacha god to actually give a good artifact with correct sets, and actually correct stats. Yay for the rate I guess.

It's a whole different game with different interest. A gacha game is enjoyable all the same but to shit on a full complete game, comparing it to a slow gaas with shit gacha rate while you pathetically waiting for more content and resins is pure moronic. I'm sure you'll get off on your honeymoon phase soon.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Genshin Impact is like a Tales game with extra MMO-like grind, gacha and combat where stats are king with a billion different materials/currency to gather for upgrades, nothing like BOTW, have people who claim it's so similar played both or what? It's only the visuals and glider that are copied.

If people who haven't played either game vote for Witcher because they are judging BOTW by GI, yikes.

And lol @ saying BOTW was cool but it has such and such flaws so Witcher it is, like that was a flawless game or something, when its whole dang gameplay is a flaw, heh, it's only good for exploring a meticulously detailed medieval fantasy world, though the story could be better too, oh well...

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Instead of complaining about Witcher im just gonna write about Breath of the Wild this time, the little Wii U open world game that could
Nintendo-Switch-Pro-1354569.jpg

So what makes this Zelda stand out compared to countless other videogames in a similar style? Some of them on much stronger platforms?from Ubisoft,from CDPR,Sony,Capcom,Square Enix the open world genre is well served yet Nintendo shaked the market.

I think its for a few reasons
• go anywhere you want, this is obvious but the Zelda team really listened to the complains of the fans , the series was getting too linear, and Zelda is perfect for exploration, you can go ANYWHERE, visit the admitely gotgeous locales, ruins,shrines and find something of value, meet npcs in very cool towns, upgrade your armor etc. There are very few limits to this freedom.

• The presentation, VA in Zelda? crazy! Yeah yeah the execution sucks but its the novelty, promise of a bigger narrative that never came but at least its there, and the world still looks beautiful and has plenty of plot hints for the hardcore fans, plenty of fanservice and a world worth exploring, characters worth knowing, its also a fantasy game wich attracts plenty of people that don't enjoy open world modern city games so much.probably same appeal as Witcher here seeing the sales.

• fun physic based systems at the center, systems from cooking to crafting, but puzzle solving got an upgrade, puzzles are no longer found on big temples but everywhere on bit sized portions, portable friendly design you could find and complete two or three shrines in minutes , everything works well and makes for fun reactions wich the lets play audience will appreciate , few bugs!!! Very polished.
pgPPEm.gif

• the raw appeal of having open world Zelda on a PORTABLE drove people crazy! From kids to adults they ran like hungry dogs to stores over the world until they could find a Nintendo Switch to play this game, showing the massive appeal Legend of Zelda had hidden, many years after its birth

•the soundtrack, while not the best in the series, fits the game very well and its memorable on its own way, Hateno village is lovely

• a big one for me Wind Waker is my favorite Zelda and im happy with Breath of the Wild, its like that game's Hyrule when you see it but actually PLAYABLE and explorable, no drab Twilight Princess or weird deserted Skyward Sword but Hyrule ♡

Last edited:
There were temples in BotW that made me turn off the game in frustration. The fact that it's even here is a farce that shows us the imperfections us humans suffer from every day. One game made me feel like a hunter of monsters, the other made me tilt my switch upside down with terrible motion controls and play an awful golf mini game.

Last edited:

Fake

That gif don't tell the whole story. I have more time with Witcher 3 than any other game I played.
Using stamina for run and magic, Geralt keep walking into enemies, locked camera, you can't jump when enemies force battle, enemies easily backstab you and etc.
Of course, as a friendly reminder this is just my opinion. The rest of the game is amazing, mainly the Bloody Baron arc.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Loved them both. Breath of the Wild if I had to chose personally simply because of how fun it was to explore the world, climb and cook.

bender

What time is it?
That gif don't tell the whole story. I have more time with Witcher 3 than any other game I played.
Using stamina for run and magic, Geralt keep walking into enemies, locked camera, you can't jump when enemies force battle, enemies easily backstab you and etc.
Of course, as a friendly reminder this is just my opinion. The rest of the game is amazing, mainly the Bloody Baron arc.

Just me agreeing with you even if you'll get a torrent of hate. BOTW had some questionable decisions (overly aggressive weapon durability, motion controlled puzzles, etc.) but it also has a lot of high points mostly revolving around the sandbox they created and traversal mechanics. Witcher 3 had an also ran combat system that aped the likes of Assassin's Creed or Batman (not to mention Witcher vision). It's competent enough but it lacks the depth to carry the 70+ hours the game requires to finish and that's not even counting the DLC. Both have beautiful open worlds but only one of them is fun to traverse and only one of them let's you be creative. I get why Witcher 3 is winning. It's a great main story and filled with great side stories bolstered by great performances. It also provides what people expect from modern games.

Top Bottom