• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 vs. Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Vote for your Game Of The Generation!

• The Witcher 3

Votes: 452 58.5%
  • Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Votes: 320 41.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

teezzy

Banned
BotW is a phenomenal videogame.

Witcher 3 is a phenomenal story and set of quests on top of gameplay that's a pleasant hum, but not worldshaking.

I love W3, but this one couldn't be easier.

I love W3, but this one couldn't be easier.

20201102-155854.jpg

2KF.gif

GeorgPrime

Banned
I mean i fucking love Zelda but breath of the wild had nothing memorable. I cant remember one thing of the game aside from the "physics" of the open world.

But i remember a lot of good stuff from Ocarina of Time, A Link to the Past or Twilight Princess
EDIT:

OHH yes i rmember the awful final attack on Ganondorf that just decreased his HP so the easy fight became fucking easy after you did all.

Last edited:
Witcher 3 is an incredible game, the only flaw is in it's combat, everything else about the game is a 100/100 or close to it.

Not the thread for it, I know, but I've never really understood this complaint. Using a 360 controller, it's a little stiff, but it's not the worst combat I've ever felt in a 3rd person game by a longshot.

ZZZZ

Not the thread for it, I know, but I've never really understood this complaint. Using a 360 controller, it's a little stiff, but it's not the worst combat I've ever felt in a 3rd person game by a longshot.
Hey i'm not saying it's the worst 3rd person combat, i'm saying compared to the rest of the game it doesn't live up to it's incredible standards, i literally beat the game twice in death march by spamming one attack from hour 10-15 to hour 100. If the combat actually was as great as the rest of the game it would probably be my GOAT game, right now it sits comfortably in the top 10.

Kadayi

Banned
Witcher 3 is the game I built a PC for and made me fall head over heels for the platform

BotW is the game I bought a Switch for and made me realize that I prefer narrative to just pure open ended gameplay.

This was the generation where I fully converted from Nintendo fan boy to PC Xbox mastermind and these two games were the deciding factor in that. Witcher 3 gave me the experience I wanted so badly from BotW, that when I finally played it and experienced its piss poor dungeons I couldn't help but love Witcher 3 even more.

Thanks CDPR

For that post, you may get a reprieve for dissing ketchup.

EI3ghWAW4AIV-jE.jpg

SafeOrAlone

Banned
The Witcher 3 was a lot like Red Dead Redemption 2. I loved the writing and the world they crafted, but it was a chore to play at times. The combat was perfectly mediocre and the "detective vision", or whatever they called it here, was overused and dull to begin with.
I haven't played Breath of the Wild yet, so I can't vote.

Damn this single choice voting is too hard to me.

In my book Witcher 3, BOTW, Persona 5 and GOW 2018 are ties as my games of the generation.

Although I voted for BOTW, because my wife enjoys a lot more . Lol.

Zelda can't win this.

I played a heavily modded version of TW3 with better visuals than vanilla running a solid 4K/60, immersion mods, combat mods, AI mods, and UI mods all making the game even better than vanilla. BotW runs at a shit framerate, shit resolution and looks comparatively simple. In terms of sheer performance Geralt drags his nuts across Link's face.

I still liked Breath of the Wild more.

I have 280 hours in The Witcher 3 not including the hours I spent tinkering with mods to make it better, and about the same hours in Breath of the Wild. I likely won't ever play TW3 again, but I already have a feeling of nostalgia regarding BotW and know I'll be back before the sequel arrives.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I honestly don't know what to vote.

Witcher 3 is monumental.
BOTW is joyous.

I'm a bit of a zelda fanboy and that might be tipping me over....

PhoenixTank

I really really like both.

Unfortunately:

I've also just remembered that there is a Highlander reference in W3. Going to be a tough choice.

iconmaster

Banned
Back in 2012, following the release of Skyward Sword, Tevis Thompson wrote an essay: Saving Zelda. In it he identified the long trend of Nintendo reducing what was once a series for grand, mysterious adventures to something that barely rose above a color-by-number:

Modern Zeldas do not offer worlds. They offer elaborate contraptions reskinned with a nature theme, a giant nest of interconnected locks. A lock is not only something opened with a silver key. A grapple point is a lock; a hookshot is the key. A cracked rock wall is a lock; a bomb is the key. That wondrous array of items you collect is little more than a building manager’s jangly keyring.

Almost everything in Zelda has a discrete purpose, a tedious teleology. When it all snaps into place, some call this good design. I call it brittle, overdetermined, pale. It’s the work of a singleminded god, a world bled of wonder.

After finishing Skyward Sword, I believed it would be the last Zelda game I ever played. It was a Zelda game so drained of adventure that even its overworld had become more of a prison yard, fenced on every side. It seemed that this was all Nintendo knew how to do now.

Breath of the Wild is Game of the Generation not just because it upset the tea tables of a franchise; it also I believe represented a watershed moment for Nintendo as a whole. BotW is Nintendo letting us challenge areas and enemies for which we're not yet prepared (you can try to face Ganon almost immediately!), and letting us bypass roadblocks even when we don't have -- or don't want to use -- the proper "key" for its locks. The game rewards and encourages pushing into unfamiliar territory and trying new things (which is why weapons break, btw). From the point of view of Skyward Sword, BotW is the anti-Zelda. From a wider perspective it was a return to form for series that had been declining for years.

🌟 Vote innovation. Vote adventure. Vote Zelda. 🌟

GametimeUK

Judging by how Bloodborne did against Metal Gear Solid 4 compared to how BOTW did against Metal Gear Solid 4 (keeping in mine Witcher 3 beat Bloodborne) this was obviously going to be the outcome.

If BOTW was in the same bracket as Bloodborne it wouldn't have made it to the final.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
BotW had potential to be the GOAT but it falls short in many aspects. Its the start of something that could be legendary but has the disadvantage of being the first time these developers have tried a lot of the aspects. I have no doubt they will get there within time.

Witcher 3 had the advantage of the developers trying many things before and were able to improve on it. Its not perfect but its one the closest things to it in many regards.

Last edited:

Aidah

BotW easily.

Witcher 3 is good overall, but if I really thought it was the best the generation had to offer I'd definitely be way less into gaming. Most of the things Witcher 3 excels at are not the things I truly appreciate in games, and most of its weaknesses are in aspects I care about the most. The opposite is true for BotW.

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Either some Witcher fans have to be the most pretentious and least self aware scumbags around or it's just Gaf in it's natural habitat.

Take this 'genius' hot take for example.
Breath of the Wild had like 10 Game of the Year Awards?

Witcher 3 had like 250.

Last edited by a moderator:

GeorgPrime

Banned
Either some Witcher fans have to be the most pretentious and least self aware scumbags around or it's just Gaf in it's natural habitat.

Take this 'genius' hot take for example.

Ahh yes. Couldnt find anything when i googled it. :p

But saying that Breath of the Wild is better than any other average assasins creed game is a huge unrealistic view as well.

Last edited:

Wunray

My BB, MGSV, DMC 5, Final Fantasy 7 remake, Monster hunter Gravity Rush, Mario Odyssey, Divinity brethren it is time, those BoTW numbers are too low.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
How has Witcher 3 aged to you guys?
at least they finally made a combat system that is okay.
unlike their humble beginnings...

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom