• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 vs. Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Vote for your Game Of The Generation!

• The Witcher 3

Votes: 452 58.5%
  • Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Votes: 320 41.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Senua

Gold Member
y0z9amx.gif
So buff fem dudes?

It's journalism and social media that inflate Zelda relevancy. I don't know anyone in real life that plays Zelda or even know what Zelda is, except maybe in some weeb conventions you'll find some that do.

Zelda is and has been one of the most popular franchises of all time.

Zelda fans be like...

when-link-is-dead-20111226094156080.jpg

Zelda II combat shits on Witcher 3 combat.

Last edited:

Denton

i really loved this game up until my first battle. i mean, i was left dumb founded at why/how it was so terrible. i couldnt even figure out what to do and just got absolutely obliterated. and it was just some little shits in a forest jsut outside of the first town. i was so turned off by it that i shut the game off and havent gone back yet.

I mean. Is it really such a rocket science to use one button for quick attack, other button for heavy attack, and learn dodging, riposte and sign usage? I would really like to see you play. It is bizzare to me that anyone could have such problems or find combat terrible.
Here is how enjoyable it is for me

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
This is false, but it's got meme status, so we'll keep having people repeating it without having a formed opinion.
How is it false? I played the game and found the combat subpar.

GAMETA

Banned
The Witcher 3 is great for the first 20 hours... after that it starts dragging.

By the 50th hour it's already unbearable.

I dropped right after I got to Skellig.

Boring ass game.

BotW >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Last edited:

Terenty

People say Rdr 2 is a boring game. Compared to these two it's a fucking page turner filled with unique content in every corner.

Kev Kev

I mean. Is it really such a rocket science to use one button for quick attack, other button for heavy attack, and learn dodging, riposte and sign usage? I would really like to see you play. It is bizzare to me that anyone could have such problems or find combat terrible.

i gave it a few tries but it was confusing. maybe i was too high or something lol, but i just remeber being like what the hell is happening why am i getting destroyed, then trying a few different tactics and feeling completely lost on why i was getting killed so quickly. that doesnt happen to me normally w games so i dont know why it did with this game. like i said i was turned off and just didnt feel like playing it again. ill give it another shot one day

martino

sadly this is not how much played the game.
also pc with shortcut for all spell make the game so much smoother it's crazy.
i wish i like to play this way.

Denton

sadly this is not how much played the game.
also pc with shortcut for all spell make the game so much smoother it's crazy.
i wish i like to play this way.
In general there is also a very big difference even between just playing at 60fps with alternative movement system (that eliminates most of intertia) versus console 30fps with default system. I will always insist combat in Witcher 3 is awesome, but I played it on high end PC.

That said I find every console game running at 30fps unenjoyable - I can play them, but I rarely enjoy the actual gameplay when any camera movement feels choppy.

Last edited:

martino

In general there is also a very big difference even between just playing at 60fps with alternative movement system (that eliminates most of intertia) versus console 30fps with default system. I will always insist combat in Witcher 3 is awesome, but I played it on high end PC.

That said I find every console game running at 30fps unenjoyable - I can play them, but I rarely enjoy the actual gameplay when any camera movement feels choppy.
i played it 60 with alternative on pc but with constant spell change using the whell..

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Sorry, the Witcher 3 combat is still shit on PC with 60+ fps and the alternative contol method they hastily patched in because even the basic control was truly horribad previously is barely any improvement, sadly. It's just deflecting to say "oh you didn't play on PC, you can't judge". It's a bad system.

It's like a combination of the worst bits of Souls, Batman and Fable with none of the nuance of the first, skill of the second or fun intentions of the last. I was gonna say it's at least better than Skyrim/TES but those sort of make up for it with the sheer potential for variety Witcher 3 also lacks tbh...

The pedestrian, bland, contrived writing for the vast, vast majority of the quest lines found in its vast, vast, equally boring and contrived world doesn't help matters. I guess people who have never seen a video game before or read or watched any decent fantasy material may think it's cool, at first.

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
The Witcher 3 is great for the first 20 hours... after that it starts dragging.

By the 50th hour it's already unbearable.

I dropped right after I got to Skellig.

Boring ass game.

BotW >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

You read Dostoyevsky but are bored by Witcher 3?

I'm impressed :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Madflavor

Gold Member
BotW is great, but the right game is winning this contest. The Witcher 3 came out 2 years before BotW, and it still gets brought up and talked about a lot more than BotW. It was groundbreaking in it's storytelling and world building. Every quest you do, no matter how small, makes you feel like you're making a real difference in someone's life, and making the world a slightly better place. BotW is the most well received Zelda probably since Wind Waker, but The Witcher 3 was a generation defining game.

The pedestrian, bland, contrived writing for the vast, vast majority of the quest lines found in its vast, vast, equally boring and contrived world doesn't help matters. I guess people who have never seen a video game before or read or watched any decent fantasy material may think it's cool, at first.

Damn, someone's mad.

Last edited:

John2290

TW3 isn't just GOTG it is GOAT. And even with 25 years of gaming + 5 or so years of hand me down gaming on top of that, right back to early NES, it's not even difficult for me to hand TW3 the title. Such a combination of all aspects of game design expressed in one title to make a symphony like no other, a true masterpiece regardless of it's sequel status, even beating the need to play prior entries first. Absolute magic.

Humdinger

Gold Member
Considering Witcher was on every console plus PC, whereas Zelda was only on one platform, the outcome of this contest is easy to guess.

My vote goes to BotW. I liked the Witcher fine, but to me it was a B-level experience, nothing particularly memorable. It was objectively a good game; it just didn't do much for me, personally.

bighugeguns

I think BOTW's overall style and presentation will outlast Witcher 3 in terms of novelty in the long run.

Witcher 3 does have LELELELELELELELELELELELELELE music though, so that's cewl.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Bloodborne not winning this is the reason why it's performance on Ps5 is bad.

I hope you're all pleased with yourselves.

giphy.gif

Keihart

Combat it's trash and i say these loving the rest of the game and beating it on my first run in the hardest difficulty. It is hardly engaging.

Kev Kev

Combat it's trash and i say these loving the rest of the game and beating it on my first run in the hardest difficulty. It is hardly engaging.
For some reason I believe that guy. I just think it’s bc he’s playing on a PC tho. On Xbox it was awful. I was so lost on even what to do, I never figured it out. I’ve played a lot of video games in my life lol, there should never be a time where I am completely dumb founded as I was when in my first few fights in this game.

but I honestly believe him that he liked it, so I’ll have to give it another try one day.

But yeah, so far there’s a lot more people saying it’s bad than good so 😕 glad it wasn’t just me

Fuz

Banned
TW3 isn't just GOTG it is GOAT. And even with 25 years of gaming + 5 or so years of hand me down gaming on top of that, right back to early NES, it's not even difficult for me to hand TW3 the title. Such a combination of all aspects of game design expressed in one title to make a symphony like no other, a true masterpiece regardless of it's sequel status, even beating the need to play prior entries first. Absolute magic.
And why is that?
Because it was designed by gamers, not by suits.

RyRy93

TW3 - Massive well-realized story, OK combat, OK gameplay

BOTW - No story but lots to explore, bad combat, great emergent gameplay

The winner is Bloodborne.

Denton

You have a right to your opinion about the combat, just like I have a right to think your opinion is trash indeed. You ain't convincing anyone tho'

Last edited:

Denton

For some reason I believe that guy. I just think it’s bc he’s playing on a PC tho. On Xbox it was awful. I was so lost on even what to do, I never figured it out. I’ve played a lot of video games in my life lol, there should never be a time where I am completely dumb founded as I was when in my first few fights in this game.

Honestly, you come across to me as someone who was either completely high when playing it, or never played a videogame before in life. No offense, but it really ain't some rocket science to figure out.

Kev Kev

Honestly, you come across to me as someone who was either completely high when playing it, or never played a videogame before in life. No offense, but it really ain't some rocket science to figure out.
Lol fuck you too man, chill out I just didn’t like it

Kev Kev

I mean you yourself said you didn't know what to do and might have been high, so chill out indeed and maybe try it again while sober
yeah but i wasnt being an asshole like you are

i was just trying to disagree in a friendly way. even said ill have to try it again and everything. then you decided to be a douche so fuck you dickhead

Denton

yeah but i wasnt being an asshole like you are

i was just trying to disagree in a friendly way. even said ill have to try it again and everything. then you decided to be a douche so fuck you dickhead
You should really take your own advice and chill. I was just beffudled by how problematic you found the combat. When I said "no offense", I meant it.

Kev Kev

You should really take your own advice and chill. I was just beffudled by how problematic you found the combat. When I said "no offense", I meant it.
go fuck yourself.i already tried to be cool with you but you didnt want that. just drop it

Last edited:

Mhmmm 2077

Considering Witcher was on every console plus PC, whereas Zelda was only on one platform, the outcome of this contest is easy to guess.

My vote goes to BotW. I liked the Witcher fine, but to me it was a B-level experience, nothing particularly memorable. It was objectively a good game; it just didn't do much for me, personally.
Zelda was on 2 platforms - Wii U and Switch. And you could argue if it really wasn't also on PC, since Cemu got it running pretty well pretty quickly.

nicktwilight

Neo Member
I believe that Witcher 3 is truly outstanding but Breath of the Wild wins my vote between these too.The freedom it gives you to approach its world is amazing.Its various systems work together in the background to really make you believe anything is possible.It builds little stories all the time that are not narative based but gameplay ones and thats truly great for me.Every one could aproach or try a part of the game in a wholly diferent way.The artstyle is a great mix of realistic and cell shaded look too.It surely changed what I expect from future open world games.Breath of the wild 2 cant come soon enough!

Top Bottom