• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 vs. Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Vote for your Game Of The Generation!

• The Witcher 3

Votes: 452 58.5%
  • Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Votes: 320 41.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gandih42

Finished BotW and all the DLC content just a few days ago. Loved the game and the way it did its open world. I even thought the weapon durability system was an interesting addition (but i get the hate). I haven't played the Witcher 3 yet so perhaps it is wrong of me to vote, but despite loving BotW I voted for the Witcher. To me, the things that it tries to accomplish seems more worthy of 'Game of the Generation' to me.

Breath of the Wild is like a fully envisioned game, honed and polished to be a razors edge, a perfect version of what it sets out to be.
The Witcher 3 is an unreasonably ambitious game that is bursting at the seams trying to be more than it can, but succeeding in spite of itself (is my impression).

Although my personal picks among the candidates in the polls overall would be closer to something like Nier Automata, Bloodborne, or maybe even Death Stranding.

Senua

Gold Member
CZh6Eb9.png

brenobnfm

I don`t understand; how did you push yourself to beat such a long game while thinking it`s "shit"?
Do you enjoy pain?

Also there are really few "facts" in life, especially when it comes to creative arts.
I could also come in here and claim the "fact" that Botw is the best game of the Gen, if not ever.

Not sure how these many "facts" can coexist, maybe they are opinions instead? Ever thought about that ? XD

Because i finish what i start. Also because i wanted to see what the game had to offer before talking shit about it, now i can properly talk shit about it.

Denton

Interesting how the finale has significantly lower traffic than the TW3 vs Bloodborne, guess BOTW ain't quite as popular as I thought

Madflavor

Gold Member
I really don't understand why Breath of the Wild is lauded as one of the greatest games of all time if you go by it's reception and MC score. It's definitely a great game, I wouldn't dream of saying otherwise. But one of the greatest of all time? That's a stretch in my eyes. Too many issues holding it back. Weapon durability was annoying, the dungeons and bosses were samey and uninspired, lack of enemy variety, and repetitive shrines. The big one for me was the dungeons. Dungeons have been the bread and butter of Zelda since the beginning. Even back with the NES Zelda, which is what Breath of the Wild is trying to harken back to, going back to it's roots, that game still had 8 dungeons. This one had 4, they're all short, samey and the bosses were disappointing. I missed how different regions in past Zelda games had different themes, atmosphere, enemies, and dungeons. It had diversity, which I feel like BotW lacks.

Is it a great game? Yes, very much so. Is it a great Zelda game? I can't honestly say it is.

Last edited:

WildBoy

The Witcher 3 is so far boring... I just got to Novigrad... Will prob continue on Series X soon. But Breath of the Wild is in a league of its own imo. Have no idea how Nintendo will top it with the sequel... I doubt they will even try and zig instead of zag.

Ev1L AuRoN

Although I love BotW I can't see it as one of the best of the generation. The mechanics of breaking weapons really hurt the immersion and gaming experience.

For context this is my list for this gen.

1- Red Dead Redemption 2
2- Witcher 3 Wild Hunt
3- God of War
4- Bloodbourne
5- Horizon Zero Dawn

GeorgPrime

Banned
Back in 2012, following the release of Skyward Sword, Tevis Thompson wrote an essay: Saving Zelda. In it he identified the long trend of Nintendo reducing what was once a series for grand, mysterious adventures to something that barely rose above a color-by-number:

After finishing Skyward Sword, I believed it would be the last Zelda game I ever played. It was a Zelda game so drained of adventure that even its overworld had become more of a prison yard, fenced on every side. It seemed that this was all Nintendo knew how to do now.

Breath of the Wild is Game of the Generation not just because it upset the tea tables of a franchise; it also I believe represented a watershed moment for Nintendo as a whole. BotW is Nintendo letting us challenge areas and enemies for which we're not yet prepared (you can try to face Ganon almost immediately!), and letting us bypass roadblocks even when we don't have -- or don't want to use -- the proper "key" for its locks. The game rewards and encourages pushing into unfamiliar territory and trying new things (which is why weapons break, btw). From the point of view of Skyward Sword, BotW is the anti-Zelda. From a wider perspective it was a return to form for series that had been declining for years.

🌟 Vote innovation. Vote adventure. Vote Zelda. 🌟

Decreasing content, including copy and paste dungeons, having an annoying weapon system that is hated for decades, having boring boss dungeons and bosses is called now "Innovation"?

Well yeah... if thats Innovation i can do it better.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
LMAO at those vote numbers compared to the last W3 threads. Alts always win baby!
tenor.png

Pagusas

Elden Member
is there a switch emulator yet? I really would love to play Zelda BotW at a nice resolution. The game doesnt look great on my 4k screen.

Kev Kev

Witcher 3 combat is trash.
i really loved this game up until my first battle. i mean, i was left dumb founded at why/how it was so terrible. i couldnt even figure out what to do and just got absolutely obliterated. and it was just some little shits in a forest jsut outside of the first town. i was so turned off by it that i shut the game off and havent gone back yet.

i really need to get back into it tho. i got the GOTY version and everything. just, why couldnt they make the combat fun and not absolutely baffling? im sure it wouldnt take much to figure out, but just wanted to say i recognized the combat being trash right from the get.

but if this game is better than botw (not sure im quite a believer lol, but i guess im taking GAFs word for it), then i i will have to go for it again one day

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
i really loved this game up until my first battle. i mean, i was left dumb founded at why/how it was so terrible. i couldnt even figure out what to do and just got absolutely obliterated. and it was just some little shits in a forest jsut outside of the first town. i was so turned off by it that i shut the game off and havent gone back yet.

i really need to get back into it tho. i got the GOTY version and everything. just, why couldnt they make the combat fun and not absolutely baffling? im sure it wouldnt take much to figure out, but just wanted to say i recognized the combat being trash right from the get.

but if this game is better than botw (not sure im quite a believer lol, but i guess im taking GAFs word for it), then i i will have to go for it again one day
Yeah the combat is ASS

Top Bottom