• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt has sold near to 10 million copies worldwide

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
http://www.dsogaming.com/news/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-has-sold-near-to-10-million-copies-worldwide/

During infoShare 2016, Artur Kurasinski interviewed CD Projekt RED’s CEO, Marcin Iwinski, who revealed that The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt has sold nearly 10 million copies worldwide.

As Marcin said when asked about the sales of their games:

“We were totally overwhelmed because, honestly, we were not expecting such a degree of success. But sales-wise, The Witcher series has sold over 20 million worldwide, out of which almost half of it is from The Witcher 3. So we practically doubled the sales of the series.”

Later on, Marcin re-confirmed that number:

“Generally I think with The Witcher 3, and it was the case with The Witcher 2 as well, we released our game without any copy protection. So on day-one you could download the game from GOG and give it to a friend – enemy as well – but give it to a friend, on a memory stick, it works. And still we sold near to 10 million copies across all three platforms.”

More at the source. Well deserved for the most awarded game ever.

Ive had this game on my xbone hdd for 5 months and I must've tried playing it 100 times but kept putting it off because it was so daunting....until this past week. It's now shaping up to be one of my favorite games of all time. I'm 35hrs deep and only level 11. The amount of QUALITY content in this game is staggering.

Vico

Once again, I can say it's well deserved.
I just started to come back to the game with Hearts and Stone, and it's just as good as the main game. The quests are some of the best I've seen in an RPG.

Savitar

Beyond well deserved!

Thrilled that the series and the company finally got the respect it deserved. Too many ignored Witcher 2 when it came out despite being outstanding as well.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I've got 300 hours logged into the Northern Realms, still haven't started B&W.......I think I got my money's worth a while ago lol.

God tier RPG, GOAT equally with the Mass Effect Trilogy for me.

Got it recently on PS4 and really enjoyed it, but once I found out about the GotY version I sold my copy and I'll be getting that instead. Good on CDPR for making an amazing game, and those sales are completely deserved. I hope Bioware and Bethesda learn some lessons from TW3, but somehow I doubt it.

Sesha

Release progressively better games* and eventually you will reap big rewards for it. Provided you're not working within a niche genre, obviously.

*Yes, I'm sure there's plenty out there that feel 1 is better than 2 or 3, or that 2 is better than 1 or 3.

Ydelnae

This game deserves GTAV numbers. I'm glad it's a success and the studio is happy with how their game has been received.

iNvid02

More at the source. Well deserved for the most awarded game ever.

indeed.

speaking of awards, it won some more last week at develop 2016

siklM3.gif

MartyStu

I cannot imagine that CDP can fiscally justify not releasing another entry soon? Seems almost inconceivable--and pretty admirable--that they are just going to lay off the franchise for a while.

Ultimadrago

Game of the Generation for me so far. I can't really say anything I haven't already said~

I hope the team rests in their laurels while working towards even higher highs in Cyberpunk.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Underserved in my humble opinion. Gorgeous graphics aside the game was very underwhelming in pretty much every other aspect. The combat was tedious, the quests followed a pretty predictable pattern and the conversations just went on and on and on. Mocap was janky and the cutscene presentation didn't even come close to naughty dogs last gen efforts.

I wish Dark souls 3 was the game selling 10 million. At least that game is fun to play.

v1lla21

Okay, but how many has it sold outside our solar system?

I still need to get this game.
Anyone willing to trade for a $25 Bass Pro Shop card, hmu.

Malcolm9

Amazing game in many way, literally just finished Blood & Wine and I loved every minute.

I really hope they will return to the series someday soon, the whole game is pure class.

trembli0s

Underserved in my humble opinion. Gorgeous graphics aside the game was very underwhelming in pretty much every other aspect. The combat was tedious, the quests followed a pretty predictable pattern and the conversations just went on and on and on. Mocap was janky and the cutscene presentation didn't even come close to naughty dogs last gen efforts.

I wish Dark souls 3 was the game selling 10 million. At least that game is fun to play.

I will find you, and I will cut you, you snek! /s

That said, great for CDPR.

I would be happy with them releasing paid expansions to the game for the next 2 years. Both HoTS and B&W contained more content than most full-release games do. You can tell they've really mastered the medium as well for open-world games, as each subsequent addition has been better than the last.

Honestly, the only complaint I had about the full game was that the stakes were almost TOO big at times, so you lost a connection to the last quarter of the game. They remedied that with the smaller scale of the expansions.

jediyoshi

I love the idea of comparing anything to Naughty Dog as if that's a barometer to put things into perspective as a whole. Pretty convenient statement to simultaneously be saying nothing and appearing to look technically correct.

Dark souls 3 still sold very well though.

CoolOff

giphy.gif

Coin Return

Loose Slot
I'm a few quests into Hearts of Stone, with the entirety of Blood and Wine to play through. Truly one of the best, most content rich games I've had the pleasure of playing.

Wasn't CD Project Red really generous to the people who bought the season pass? Like a shit ton of content for the price?

For that reason alone I hope they sell 10 million more.

Complistic

Wasn't CD Project Red really generous to the people who bought the season pass? Like a shit ton of content for the price?

They gave everyone a bunch of free dlc first off then they only charged $20 for two expansion you can easily get 30 hours of gameplay out of.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I was going to write a RTTP to this game because I recently turned it back on after a year (and an 80 hour investment) and am blown away by the quality. I seriously can't believe I put this game aside. The restrained maturity that permeates the entire game, the astounding quality of the writing, the tremendous size of the world, the list goes on -- the game is special.

Truly a masterpiece, I immediately purchased the season pass as well, I've heard nothing by raves about the content.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

Yea both expansions are incredibly meaty for the price.

Top Bottom