• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt has sold near to 10 million copies worldwide

Very happy for CDPR, they're a good bunch, and their DRM and DLC polices are something to be admired. Been a fan of The Witcher since the first one, and seeing where the series has gone from then is amazing.

Ive had this game on my xbone hdd for 5 months and I must've tried playing it 100 times but kept putting it off because it was so daunting....until this past week. It's now shaping up to be one of my favorite games of all time. I'm 35hrs deep and only level 11. The amount of QUALITY content in this game is staggering.

This is me and this game but add what I consider janky controls for picking up items/combat, and you have to do that a lot, so I've given up for now. The game is brilliant in all other departments but I can't play with jankiness in controls. I refuse. If others don't feel like the controls are off I get the love for this game.

Game of the generation. Possibly game of the forever.
A true masterpiece of a game with every one of those sales fully deserved.

The Expanisons were incredible in both price and content, solidifying CDPR as one of the best devs out there.
Congrats to them, Bethesda and Bioware pls take note.

Yup truely wonderful game,fully deserving of all the praise and awards it's received along with those sales numbers.

Great developers as well,always seem happy to talk.

Ushay

OléGunner;210523863 said:
Game of the generation. Possibly game of the forever.
A true masterpiece of a game with every one of those sales fully deserved.

The Expanisons were incredible in both price and content, solidifying CDPR as one of the best devs out there.
Congrats to them, Bethesda and Bioware pls take note.

Indeed other RPG devs could learn a thing or two from CDP.

SMG

Ive had this game on my xbone hdd for 5 months and I must've tried playing it 100 times but kept putting it off because it was so daunting....until this past week. It's now shaping up to be one of my favorite games of all time. I'm 35hrs deep and only level 11. The amount of QUALITY content in this game is staggering.

The DLC is also of the highest tier. I was a fan since Enhanced but never would have predicted the step up in quality across the board that 3 is.

nordique

I tried getting into this game finally, but its quite over whelming in scale.

I find the combat a bit too difficult as well, though I imagine I need to give it a fair shake or learn it over time.

Here's hoping it will be smoother on my 3rd go round....I really want to like this game but it seems so difficult (for my level)

MadYarpen

I finished it twice, once with both expansions. I cannot say how much I love it and how grateful I am to CDPR for taking this franchise. Even if they aren't always faithful towards the books, which are so important for me.

I own PS4 copy and will be adding 1 more to this 10M after they release the PC GOTY edition, and I will wait with third playthrough until I have some good PC.
Or not. Game is too good.

I also feel very sorry for anyone who does isn't enjoying this game lol.

Fishook

Well deserved,I have been a long time Witcher fan, There were times in Blood & Wine, I thought they padded out into very generic stuff, and that's my only concern for Cyberpunk and the hitting mass market appeal, thus suffering in the process.

KAP151

Best game of this generation, bar none. Some minor gripes that took way too long to get fixed/patched, but I enjoyed every second of the base game and both xpacs.

Brilliant.

I finished it twice, once with both expansions. I cannot say how much I love it and how grateful I am to CDPR for taking this franchise. Even if they aren't always faithful towards the books, which are so important for me.

I own PS4 copy and will be adding 1 more to this 10M after they release the PC GOTY edition, and I will wait with third playthrough until I have some good PC.
Or not. Game is too good.

I also feel very sorry for anyone who does isn't enjoying this game lol.

I underdtand they need to diverge sometimes from the books, but its probably the mots faithfull book to any media Ive ever seen in my life. It feels exactly like them and 90% of it is completely faithful.
And it was a hard task, because they are sequels.

MadYarpen

I underdtand they need to diverge sometimes from the books, but its probably the mots faithfull book to any media Ive ever seen in my life. It feels exactly like them and 90% of it is completely faithful.
And it was a hard task, because they are sequels.
Sure, its just that some of their decisions or explanations were quite bad. But I'm not complaining.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
XlD8qxb.gif

Well deserved. Especially considering the amount of care they took in making the expansions. Hearts of Stone might be the video game story that sucked me in the most in recent years.

danthefan

Brilliant game. The bit where you finally
find Ciri
is probably the best story-related payoff I've ever had in a game. I thought it was just a masterpiece overall.

And the best part for me is I still have Blood and Wine to play. Just waiting for my new graphics card to arrive.

Underserved in my humble opinion. Gorgeous graphics aside the game was very underwhelming in pretty much every other aspect. The combat was tedious, the quests followed a pretty predictable pattern and the conversations just went on and on and on. Mocap was janky and the cutscene presentation didn't even come close to naughty dogs last gen efforts.

I wish Dark souls 3 was the game selling 10 million. At least that game is fun to play.

I agree that the combat was not brilliant, but to focus on your other points:

- The quests are probably the best designed and written from any RPG. The vast majority of quests are layered with multiple objectives, they're very well written and all feel like they have as much attention as the main story quests.
- Yes, there were a lot of conversations, but the dialogue and voice acting was great and the storytelling was really great on the whole.
- Mocap was good for an open-world RPG compared to the competition, and I think it's ridiculous to compare cutscenes in an open world RPG to a tightly-focused action game like Uncharted. The presentation in Uncharted is basically the best in all of videogames, so nothing is going to come out of that comparison particularly well.
- Dark Souls might be a better game mechanically but it's a little too niche to sell those numbers. I'm sure it will still do extremely well and end up selling well over 5 million copies.

Staf

Quite remarkable that they sold this much while only offering to have sex on a stuffed unicorn once in the game.

- The quests are probably the best designed and written from any RPG. The vast majority of quests are layered with multiple objectives, they're very well written and all feel like they have as much attention as the main story quests.
- Yes, there were a lot of conversations, but the dialogue and voice acting was great and the storytelling was really great on the whole.
- Mocap was good for an open-world RPG compared to the competition, and I think it's ridiculous to compare cutscenes in an open world RPG to a tightly-focused action game like Uncharted. The presentation in Uncharted is basically the best in all of videogames, so nothing is going to come out of that comparison particularly well.
- Dark Souls might be a better game mechanically but it's a little too niche to sell those numbers. I'm sure it will still do extremely well and end up selling well over 5 million copies.

Dark Souls 3 isn't impressive by any metric either so I'm not sure why he wants it to sell more. It's a greatest hits Souls game that lacks it's own identity, has really easy bosses, reduced build variety(straight swords dominate, no poise), bland story(especially coming of Bloodborne) and mostly boring areas artistically. The DLC will probably make up for some of it, but DS3 is far from perfect. Yeah, it's still a good game, but is that really the game that they want to go to bat for...

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Dark Souls 3 isn't impressive by any metric either so I'm not sure why he wants it to sell more. It's a greatest hits Souls game that lacks it's own identity, has really easy bosses, reduced build variety(straight swords dominate, no poise), bland story(especially coming of Bloodborne) and mostly boring areas artistically. The DLC will probably make up for some of it, but DS3 is far from perfect. Yeah, it's still a good game, but is that really the game that they want to go to bat for...

Fuck, I thought a good few of them were bastard hard! Must be getting old.

suikodan

Bought the PS4 CE on day one then a year later, bought the game + DLCs on PC because I upgraded my GPU and wanted to experience it on PC.

Excellent game. Would buy again.

JBwB

The Witcher 3 deserves all the sales it can get. Easily one of best games I've ever played.

10 Mil? Hell... It deserves way more sales than that.

Roufianos

This is right up there with MGS1 as the best game I've ever played.

It deserves even more when you look at the sales that the mediocre Fallout 4 achieved.

Horns

Well deserved. Glad I paid full price for the game and bought all the DLCs. These guys deserve to be rewarded for their hard work.

Playing through this now for the first time, trying to finish up B&W and HoS before completing the main quest. Definitely the most I've enjoyed an open world RPG since Morrowind, and it's taken a spot among my favorite games.

Edit: Forgot to mention, I've put in 120 hours so far, hoping to beat the game before I hit 150 and then jump into New Game +!

Zyrox

Very well deserved. Was a ploughin' great game. And I say this as someone who is usually not into card games WRPGs.

Underserved in my humble opinion. Gorgeous graphics aside the game was very underwhelming in pretty much every other aspect. The combat was tedious, the quests followed a pretty predictable pattern and the conversations just went on and on and on. Mocap was janky and the cutscene presentation didn't even come close to naughty dogs last gen efforts.

I wish Dark souls 3 was the game selling 10 million. At least that game is fun to play.

Ugh, conversations. Who wants conversations in a video game, am I right?

adversarial

This is me and this game but add what I consider janky controls for picking up items/combat, and you have to do that a lot, so I've given up for now. The game is brilliant in all other departments but I can't play with jankiness in controls.

Try the alternate movement type in Options.

Braag

This is pretty amazing. I bought the first game back in 2008, enjoyed it a lot but never imagined this series would get this big. Well deserved CDPR.

NullMoon

Neo Member
Well deserved. It really is a fantastic game, I've already logged 188 hours into this game and I haven't even finished Blood and Wine yet.

Rains

Had the game since launch and only just started this week and wow at all the content such a good game loving the voice acting aswell

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

I wouldn't call characters droning on and on good writing. Everyone has a lame story to tell. Just STFU and let me find your stupid pan. No one cares. Every NPC is a drama queen. I will give the writing in the Bloody Baron quest some credit but the quest itself was nothing to write home about despite being layered with multiple objectives. The gameplay was boring and didnt do anything for me. Variety for the sake of variety didnt make Assassins Creed games better.

Comparing Mocap to Uncharted is probably unfair but the game's main story has some really janky looking cutscenes. There was a chase scene in the very beginning and it just looked so amateurish. I guess Mass Effect would be a better comparison. I guess if Mass Effect 4 on next gen consoles is as janky as ME3 than it deserves criticism as well.

Mass Effect had some great character moments during its quests. Mostly for characters you spend the entire game/series with. They work because because you care about these guys. Geralt starts long conversations with every single NPC in the game. I remember going up to the weaponsmith in the bloody baron town and he started giving me this ten minute long backstory related to a quest. I was like wtf. It was bad in MGS4 and it is bad here. Just get to the point and keep the writing succinct. Less is more.

UberLevi

Good, it's an instant classic. Great story, amazing world design, meaningful questlines, perfect post-launch support, and a fitting end to the franchise that functions as a standalone title for those that haven't even invested in previous installments. It really is just a masterpiece of a game.

Try the alternate movement type in Options.

I'll give that a go, thanks. Also on X1 not PC so controls may have a big difference because of the platform of I'm playing on. I should revisit too as I now have an Elite controller so I may be able to map somethings differently.

It felt more like running in circles to gather things in the wild and being a little off on defensive moves during combat.

Top Bottom