• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Trailer (CG)

Savitar

Yes.

Also, I've always been really curious as to where the games take place within the universe of the books. I know most of the books only have fan translations, so perhaps not many people have read them (I read the first 2 short story books, and I'm half way through Time of Contempt now, the 2nd in the Ciri Saga).

Like it sort of feels like the first game tried to stay as far away from the books as possible, but then the 2nd game mentioned Yennefer, but she is so major in the books, it's kind of odd she didn't come up until then. I wonder if the events surrounding Yennefer in Witcher 2 actually happened in one of the books or not, or if this is like alternate universe.

Non cannon, the author spoke about it all not that long ago. He didn't seem to give much a crap about any of the games, I couldn't help but think he was a bit annoyed the Witcher got more popular due to the games than simply based off the novels.

Yes.

Also, I've always been really curious as to where the games take place within the universe of the books. I know most of the books only have fan translations, so perhaps not many people have read them (I read the first 2 short story books, and I'm half way through Time of Contempt now, the 2nd in the Ciri Saga).

Like it sort of feels like the first game tried to stay as far away from the books as possible, but then the 2nd game mentioned Yennefer, but she is so major in the books, it's kind of odd she didn't come up until then. I wonder if the events surrounding Yennefer in Witcher 2 actually happened in one of the books or not, or if this is like alternate universe.
My understanding is that the games sort of form their own separate timeline after a certain part of the books.

phaze

Holey shit at the combat sequence, pure awesome.

Yes.

The games take place after the novels. I think at the start of W 1 it was said it was 5 years.

Yes.

While not directly involved in plot or ever been mentioned at all, actually they "sneak in" numerous reference of Yennefer in the first game. I think it's just their style of storytelling, like this Wild Hunt things, only take a second seat in the previous games, now it becomes the subtitle of the final game.

According to Sapkowski, the game is not considered canon. CD Project RED basically is just "borrowing" the universe and tell their own story.

codhand

"What are you doing?"

"Killing monsters."

xjxKyEc.jpg

Enosh

sooo this being witcher and all that woman probably is guilty of the charges against her isn't she ^^

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Don't care if it's CGI, the trailer was amazing.

I just bought The Witcher 2 for 360 and it's on its way - I've been intrigued about the game for years but I just didn't have the time for it. I'm not a fan of RPG's at all, especially JRPG's, so my love for them only goes out to Phantasy Star Online and the Mass Effect series, so for me to be that interested in this game with all of the depth and love put into it like I read is something special.

Only thing that sucks is the guide is out of print - I never really buy guides for games, but from what I've read about how this game is, you might want to have one. I'm keeping my eyes open for one that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Yes.

the first game mentions Ciri- that inn keeper talks about her.

Midou

While not directly involved in plot or ever been mentioned at all, actually they "sneak in" numerous reference of Yennefer in the first game. I think it's just their style of storytelling, like this Wild Hunt things, only take a second seat in the previous games, now it becomes the subtitle of the final game.

According to Sapkowski, the game is not considered canon. CD Project RED basically is just "borrowing" the universe and tell their own story.

Yeah I figured the author would not be interested in it being canon, but I was thinking more whether the events in the games can take place after all the books, or if they would need to be an alternate timeline.

After I finish the books I plan to re-play Witcher 1 and Witcher 2, and that may lead me up to at least it should be 2014 by then. I will find out for myself eventually. Though I could read each book in like 2 days if I didn't force myself to not rush through them, even the fan translations are so easy to read and Geralt is such a good character.

the first game mentions Ciri- that inn keeper talks about her.

Yeah I caught certain things like that in retrospect, I guess it's obvious they did not want to go too deeply into the novels as people had not read them. They won't even be able to release all the novels by the release of Witcher 3 as the 3rd one is in like February 2014, and it may be until like 2016 that they get the 5th one out..

Famassu

I dunno, I love me some The Witcher and am not against prerendered trailers, but that didn't really look that good. The animation was kind of iffy and the dialogue was bad. The only nice touch was how he at first thought of taking his sword, but then decided he could do it without.

Midou

I dunno, I love me some The Witcher and am not against prerendered trailers, but that didn't really look that good. The animation was kind of iffy and the dialogue was bad. The only nice touch was how he at first thought of taking his sword, but then decided he could do it without.

But have you HEARD the 'killing monsters' line?

Violater

Plastic nee san my body is ready.gif

Looks awesome, I hope we get something with that level of fluidity in the take downs.

Midou

Oh ya, another thing, if anyone is familliar with the books, I have not heard much mention of multiple swords, at least not in the saga of ciri. It seems to specify he has one blade a lot of the time.

He also said he doesn't take trophies though, and that's a pretty big mechanic in both Witcher games. :p

Cool trailer, although the CG was a little bit hit or miss. The woman looked really good, the other guys not as much. Animations are a little bit wonky as well at times.

Exuro

Oh ya, another thing, if anyone is familliar with the books, I have not heard much mention of multiple swords, at least not in the saga of ciri. It seems to specify he has one blade a lot of the time.

He also said he doesn't take trophies though, and that's a pretty big mechanic in both Witcher games. :p
I'm pretty sure that's talked about in The Last Wish. I've only read that one though.

From wikipedia
As Geralt of Rivia said to Iola in The Last Wish: "Unkind people say, that the silver one is for killing monsters and the iron one is for killing humans. That is not truth. There are monsters that can be only killed by silver blade, but there are also monsters that only iron sword will work on them. No Iola, not every iron, only the one that came from meteor."

Also the "killing monsters" line was a bit cheesy,

The delivery seemeda bit off. He was like "Keeling...... monsters...."

They should have killed the music for that line and had him say it more naturally. Otherwise, trailer did what it was designed to do. Hyyyyyyyyyyyyype

Yeah I figured the author would not be interested in it being canon, but I was thinking more whether the events in the games can take place after all the books, or if they would need to be an alternate timeline.

After I finish the books I plan to re-play Witcher 1 and Witcher 2, and that may lead me up to at least it should be 2014 by then. I will find out for myself eventually. Though I could read each book in like 2 days if I didn't force myself to not rush through them, even the fan translations are so easy to read and Geralt is such a good character.

You mean like "faithful" direct continuation? Yeah, sure. The ending of the books is kind of open to interpretation, so CDPR proposed story is still make sense to the universe logic, although CDPR may need to address several "issues" in the games like
why Geralt is somehow still alive and having amnesia.

Midou

Saw this on reddit:

Angry Joe wrote this on the official video page:
"This was shown to all media before the 45 minute live demo. If you think this was cool, know the actual gameplay demo was about 1000x cooler. I really hope they decide to release that session in full at some point."

That was Triss, right? Thats why she's called "Fourteenth of the Hill".
Oh yes, I read the books years ago (awesome spanish translation), so some details are a little bit blurry.

I don't know if this actually meant anything as promotional image is subject to change, but they rode different horse too, which indeed might imply that they're actually different person. The one in the trailer rode a brown horse, while the one on Gameinformer cover rode a white horse.

Interestingly, Ciri signature horse in the books, Kelpie, is a black mare. Still nowhere in sight, apparently.

Let's hope for the best.

Yes.

In the Witcher 1 the guy that has a bar in one of the small villages explain the whole Yeneffer and Ciri story to Geralt. You also have the small storry of Adda referenced as the intro and one of the final missions of the game. The games are the same universe of the books.

Non cannon, the author spoke about it all not that long ago. He didn't seem to give much a crap about any of the games, I couldn't help but think he was a bit annoyed the Witcher got more popular due to the games than simply based off the novels.

My understanding is that the games sort of form their own separate timeline after a certain part of the books.

Non canon as for the author, but the games continue exactly after the books ends
with geralt dead because of a farmer
and have the same characters and storylines as it. The author doesn't feel them being canon because he hates videogames in general.

You mean like "faithful" direct continuation? Yeah, sure. The ending of the books is kind of open to interpretation, so CDPR proposed story is still make sense to the universe logic, although CDPR may need to address several "issues" in the games like
why Geralt is somehow still alive and having amnesia.
I'm pretty sure the whole point of the series is dealing with these "issues"

Fezan

Meh Geralt is going soft. if it was Younger Gearalt he would just have left the girl to die or after saving had sex with her

CG was excellent

Fezan: Not really. Geralt in the first game is pretty gruff, but he is basically a decent bloke. He doesn't exactly force himself on women either. He is pretty similar to the David Gemmel archetypes in many ways.

Hearing all this things about the slow (and from what Ive heard bad in the countries translated) tanslation of the novels in the whole world surprises me a lot, becuase the Spain version is one of the few that got the whole translation of the stories (and even the side ones that have nothing to do with Geralt) and its one of the best most faithfull translations I have ever read (so much that shitty spanish translation in the games makes me groan).

Serra

Cool trailer but I think its really stupid how much money devs spend on these things. Then again, marketing and shit.

Geralt really looks badass with dat beard!

Soule

That was fantastic CGI, I don't have many games that use CGI any more but that looked really impressive. Anyway I didn't need this trailer to get me hyped for the game, Witcher 2 was fantastic and my favourite RPG of this gen, hoping this one will surpass it (surely it will) and get more popularity because Witcher 2 deserves more love than it gets.

mileS

I would understand a lot of the "but why CG" responses if we haven't already seen in game footage, but come on folks. Does nobody remember the amazing intro added to the Witcher 2 when the console version came around (also added to the PC version because CD is awesome) yeeeaaa that was fantastic and if anything I'd like to see more CG trailers from them.

I would understand a lot of the "but why CG" responses if we haven't already seen in game footage, but come on folks. Does nobody remember the amazing intro added to the Witcher 2 when the console version came around (also added to the PC version because CD is awesome) yeeeaaa that was fantastic and if anything I'd like to see more CG trailers from them.

We saw a few 2 second in-game sequences...that counts to you? Come on.

Thranduil

Neo Member
(...)
Yeah I caught certain things like that in retrospect, I guess it's obvious they did not want to go too deeply into the novels as people had not read them. They won't even be able to release all the novels by the release of Witcher 3 as the 3rd one is in like February 2014, and it may be until like 2016 that they get the 5th one out..

The novels->games continuity in case of the Witcher is a bit tricky, since particularly in the last volume Sapkowski (here really, really serious spoiler warning here -->
deconstructs his own universe by making travel between worlds possible. Ciri becomes the Lady of the Lake from Arthurian legend. Yes. I'm not kidding.
...so in Poland the ending of the saga is very controversial among the fans. CDPR decided to ignore the postmodern undertones of the last volume of the saga - good for us =]

Eterniti

Our website saw this trailer at E3 when we came to check out The Witcher 3. It's a good CG trailer, but I agree with most that they should just show gameplay. When people can finally see the gameplay in action, it's going to be pretty awesome.

We saw a few 2 second in-game sequences...that counts to you? Come on.
WTF are you talking about:
http://youtu.be/TZ_G6XiHoUA
If you are talking about this the two second sequeces feel a little bit short in your description I think.

The novels->games continuity in case of the Witcher is a bit tricky, since particularly in the last volume Sapkowski (here really, really serious spoiler warning here -->
deconstructs his own universe by making travel between worlds possible. Ciri becomes the Lady of the Lake from Arthurian legend. Yes. I'm not kidding.
...so in Poland the ending of the saga is very controversial among the fans. CDPR decided to ignore the postmodern undertones of the last volume of the saga - good for us =]

And thank god for that. I didnt like the ending of the book.

Top Bottom