• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher: Battle Arena announced (MOBA, CD Projekt/Fuero, iOS/AND/WP)

DSN2K

waste of an IP.

So many of these games now its very very difficult to stand out when its likely better to just play an established one.

Heroes

heros-eithne.jpg

Those are some huge...arrows she is using.

Accoun

...that could be working on a different game? They are using resources to make a MOBA that they could be using to make a game that is closer in style and platform to their recent games. That is disappointing...

If I read correctly it's Fuero Games, local mobile developer. Not CDP RED themselves.

Nothing against the MOBA genre, even though I personally don't like it, but companies really need to stop making everything into a MOBA it seems every week there's a new company making a MOBA based on a popular franchise.

tauke

I'm curious to see how this work on mobile platform. Going with the current trend of more casual mobile gamers, it can be a huge hit.

Darksol

I have no interest in this, but wish them a piece of that sweet sweet MOBA money to let them fund development of future games I actually want to play.

Given the WAY Philippa Eilhart was blinded in The Witcher 2, her eyes appear to be in pretty good shape in that image.

I guess she could probably just magic them back, but wouldn't she not be blind anymore then?

KDC720

MOBA's are the new hottness, everyone wants a piece of the pie. I even saw a commercial for an Adventure Time MOBA the other day.

What surprises me the most is that its mobile only, seems kind of weird to me.

Jhriad

Fair enough, but is it really so worthy of the melodramatic "WHY WHY WHY"?

Well, that wasn't me but I understand the desire to attempt to be humorous with announcements like this that are bound to elicit a lot of similar comments. (see my original post with what went through my mind as I read the OP)

Are their motivations entirely based on "flavour of the month"? What it the scope of the game / do they plan to evolve it over a long period of time? How much resources are they pumping into this? Does this have anything to do with GoG Galaxy or something else?

None of these questions have any official answers.

I highly doubt their motivations for starting the project are unaffected by the recent spike in popularity of LoL and Dota 2 so lets not pretend they're unsullied by the desire for a slice of that market and the almighty dollar or that this is a game "they've always wanted to make" or something along those lines. It's not a bad thing but there's no reason to pretend their motivations for making a game in this style aren't greatly influenced by what is the biggest thing of the moment. Will I play it? No, probably not. That said I love their previous work and I wish them the best of luck.

Ape

Banned
Philippa's eyes.... They even bring it up in her story synopsis, but her art completely ignores what happened. Why.

More MOBAs! Every game series needs one! Uncharted MOBA! Halo MOBA! Mortal Kombat MOBA! Gran Turismo... MOBA! Peggle MOBA! Stanley Parable MOBA!

Fuck this world.

Dolor

If I read correctly it's Fuero Games, local mobile developer. Not CDP RED themselves.

Yes, but with the money they are paying them, they could be hiring people to build a "core" game. That's my point. Just because it's not literally the same people doesn't mean they aren't expending resources that could be better used (for me) on another PC RPG or something.

thebloo

Everything in the game is unlockable for free, just by playing the game. Our system is honest, well balanced and doesn’t keep you playing for ages to unlock something. If you want to get something unlocked faster, you can purchase it for a reasonable price. It’s that simple.

My bolds. Yeah, whatever.

Denton

Damn, I guess when you gotta get one in there you gotta get one in there. Putting it on phones is interesting.

Look at my girl Saskia looking all majestic and shit. Bend the knee!

Saskia is damn glorious. I supremely hope she plays big role in TW3. I am itching to replay TW2 and she is large part of the reason why :)

Sayers

So MOBAs are the new MMO right? Everybody sees all of the LoL/DOTA2 money and says "if we make something just like that, we will be successful too!" And then they all come out and fail miserably. Just like all those chasing WoW 5 years ago.

Well, can't say I'm interested in a moba but hey why not. As long as it's making profit and financing Cyberpunk and not the other way around

I don't mind this, as I enjoy the idea of The Witcher characters in a MOBA type of environment.

What I DO mind, is it's for mobile only. Sorry, but I won't be playing it if it's only for mobile.

Top Bottom