• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher III is not getting a PS4 Pro patch, confirms CDPR

kevin1025

Banned
I'm fine with released games not getting in on the Pro, I'm more interested in what people will be doing with upcoming games!

That's pretty lame. Witcher 3 was one of the few games I was sure would get a patch because up until now they've been so great with their post-release support.

Tagyhag

They don't have to make it a 4K game though? They can just improve performance? My understanding is it's not a perfectly performing game.

Fix the framerate -> patch done. Shouldn't take too much effort, but I guess they're in bed with Microsoft due to Gwent marketing deal so that's that.

I think some of you guys are underestimating just how weak the Pro's CPU still is.

On an open world game with a bunch of shit going on like Witcher 3, the CPU is a big issue.

Shocker. 99.9% of developers won't be going back to patch old games 'cause there will be zero new sales from it. Sucks, but obviously the studios shouldn't be wasting the time and money on something that gets no money back to the company.

Lister

Banned
A missed oppertunity for who exactly?

I doubt it's going to sell a whole lot more just because it has a Ps4 Pro patch.

Exactly this, and I'd wager it's if not the prime motivator, it's up there some where.

The instlal base is 0. IT's going to take a while for a new $400 console to reach the install base where making changes to a game that the older, cheaper console can still play, will make financial sense.

Maybe in 2 years they'll roll out a 4K ultra edition with HDR... for $60.

Memory

There is no financial imperative to do so, so why would they?

Besides they can always sell a 4k remastered version with more features next gen.

Fbh

Do the games also need a patch to get smoother frame rate.

Making it 4K would probably take a fair amount of work. But what about getting to frame rate to locked 30 fps?

RootCause

Bodes poorly for Pro support in future titles if it's too much work to increase some config variables to higher PC equivalents, or simply double the resolution. This smells like a lot of new games will come out with no Pro improvements.
That made no sense. Future tittles are required to have a pro mode. This will be a year, and a half old by the time the Pro releases.

Ok .. fair enough ..

I guess it would be OK enough if the Pro at the very least just irons out the kinks and makes the frame rate stick to 30 FPS more often. They don't really need a patch for that, would they ?

Ok, forget the resolution upgrades or higher settings, at least give me this!

Ashtar

Too lazy to bump the resolution? fuck me!
Hopefully that's a joke
But yeah game is gonna be 2 years old and they've worked on its ton since then I don't blame them for not wanting to go back and having to do cert on the whole game again.
I remember when I was playing blood and wine and I was like dang how far could the 4K push this but it looks great as is and I doubt the cost versus return is worth it

artsi

What a shame. It's not like the other companies are devoting a ton of man hours to Pro versions, and CDPR could afford it if they wanted to provide a better experience for console players.

But it's their choice to make, so fine.

kAmui-

Fix the framerate -> patch done. Shouldn't take too much effort, but I guess they're in bed with Microsoft due to Gwent marketing deal so that's that.

Yeah, must be that.

Some people seem to think optimizing a game or upping the resolution is just pushing a button or changing some value on a text file.

Seik

Banned
They just released a complete edition and working on other games, I can understand that.

Maybe with the better specs the framerate will be more stable though, who knows. Anyways, I can deal with that. :)

BigEmil

Yep.

Game isn't so smooth on PS4 or XBO. It's a pity really.

Played about 30+ hours from beginning on the GOTY edition latest patch and it's been stable 30 for me no drops, it's the pre-patches before that were bad but its now fixed

DR2K

Banned
If I were Sony I'd throw a little of the cash saved by closing studios and laying people off and use it to help some of the top games support the upcoming system launch.

Ushay

Watch this get a Scorpio/Pro patch when the Scorp releases, bank on it. MS would wan this for E3 to showcase.

Witcher 3 is too beautiful of a game not to take advantage of this hardware.

jamsy

Honestly, pretty disappointing.

I'm the last person to complain about framerates but the The Witcher 3 on PS4 is pretty choppy in a lot of areas. Cyberpunk isn't coming out anytime soon, so putting some resources into at least making it run at a constant 30fps at 1080p on the Pro probably wouldn't be something anyone would complain about....

I get the disappointment, but CDPR post-release support has been insanely good up until this point I think they are pretty much done investing time in the game.

Nzyme32

Bodes poorly for Pro support in future titles if it's too much work to increase some config variables to higher PC equivalents, or simply double the resolution. This smells like a lot of new games will come out with no Pro improvements.

All future games are mandated to support Pro in some way, previous games such as Witcher 3 are not

Lister

Banned

Making it 4K would probably take a fair amount of work. But what about getting to frame rate to locked 30 fps?

The GPu grunt is likely to allow for better handling of some fo the GPU choke points in the game on consoles - stuf flike transparency effects. SO the marshes and things like grenade explosions.

But place slike the city, where it's both complex geometry and lots of pathfinding, animating, etc NPC's, that's llikely going to remain a CPU bottleneck.

Zedark

They don't have to make it a 4K game though? They can just improve performance? My understanding is it's not a perfectly performing game.

After patches, Witcher 3 runs quite close to 30 fps (meaning that it holds 30 fps most of the time, with dips to 28 fps occurring in densely populated areas like cities or in foggy areas like the swamp). Using Pro just for that will not yield any noticeable improvement, and gettting it up to 60 fps will not be possible due to cpu restrictions. Basically, they either do visual improvements or nothing, and they opted for nothing.

I am personally glad they choose to push onwards with their new project: I can't wait for Gwent and I have high hopes for Cyberpunk 2077 as well!

RootCause

Sony claims it would require a patch, much like MS did with the OneS. The latter got better frame rates even without games getting patched. We won't have an answer until the pro releases, and DF does some tests.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Bummer but not too surprised given how old the game is and the fact that they have two other games in development.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
They should at least open the extra GPU power to make the frame rate steady.

Keep the 1080p.

I'll repeat my question, do they really need any kind of PATCH to do that ?

We know by Xbox one S that the same games run a slightly bit better without any extra patches simply because the hardware has a very slight bump, at the very least I'm expecting (or rather HOPING) that the PS4 Pro's higher specs will at least let the games stick to their target frame rates more often.

Hesemonni

Banned
I think some of you guys are underestimating just how weak the Pro's CPU still is.

On an open world game with a bunch of shit going on like Witcher 3, the CPU is a big issue.
It's almost there so overclock on PS4 Pro CPU should do the trick, no? It's not like we're expecting it to hit 60 fps. Just steady 30 all the time.

Bustanen

That's too bad, was going to buy it if it got a patch. Performance problems held me from buying this game at launch. Couldn't have been too much work to give a little boost with the GOTY release?

I'll repeat my question, do they really need any kind of PATCH to do that ?

We know by Xbox one S that the same games run a slightly bit better without any extra patches simply because the hardware has a very slight bump, at the very least I'm expecting (or rather HOPING) that the PS4 Pro's higher specs will at least let the games stick to their target frame rates more often.
IIRC the Pro runs at OG PS4 clocks if the game is unpatched.

Gator86

Heartbreaking. I wonder how some of the PSpro versions of games are going to turn out. It's fine for devs to ignore older games like W3, but I wonder how badly they're going to half-ass future versions.

damn, i wanted some better draw distance/shadow draw distance and maybe some some improved AA. ah well, CDPR done A LOT already for TW3, its cool if they don't even want to think about for a while.

Dat narrative.

Was hoping that they would use this as a test bed for the pro for Cyber 2077, but with them end capping Witcher 3 with a definitive edition, not exactly surprised.

Charcoal

I hate that developers are more or less being forced to focus on 4K, when in reality they should be focusing on releasing the best performing 1080P game.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Heartbreaking. I wonder how some of the PSpro versions of games are going to turn out. It's fine for devs to ignore older games like W3, but I wonder how badly they're going to half-ass future versions.

Future games will have Pro support planned and accounted for in development.

Top Bottom