• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher III is not getting a PS4 Pro patch, confirms CDPR

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yeah fuck CDPR and their shitty policies. They're awful to the people who buy their games /s

Time and money are important. I fully understand and back their decision here.

Edit - what loyal user base are you talking about btw? This is their first ps game...

People who bought their games and DLC.

it's not like this is going to cost a million dollars.

Harmen

Can't blame CDPR, but I would've loved a Pro patch. And I half expected them to do so due to their fantastic track record of fanservice, technical support (PS4 version vastly improved over the year) and free additional content.

I honestly doubt doing a Pro patch would detract from CP2077 though. This is probably more of a cost/benefit thing, with patches costing money.

MMaRsu

Banned
Didnt Naughty Dog say they had one guy working on the port for a month? And GG said two guys in two weeks?

I am sure i read that somewhere. They cant waste one engineer and a QA for this for a couple of months?

I mean i get it. They have already sold the game. Why would they waste ANY money on people who already made the game a success. I mean who gives a shit about your loyal userbase right?

You mean the tiny fraction of the Witcher 3 fanbase that's getting a PS4 Pro?

Yeah I'm sure that's worth the time and effort, when you are in the process of making another quality title.

CDPR isn't Naughty Dog.

Talk about entitlement holy shit.

Same goes for GTAV. I don't expect a PS4 pro patch at all. People really like setting themselves up for a dissapointment.

Jeffrey

wonder if its mostly a timing thing?

Like if the ps4p came out a bit earlier maybe everything would have worked out.

Because a game that a dev has moved on from isn't going back to patch it so it looks prettier when they stand to gain little financially from it?

It's twilight zonish in here

ಠ_ಠ

As I stated my concern with the Pro is that it's a half step and worryingly Sony doesn't seem to be pushing/supporting many AAA 3rd party developers to patch their previous AAA games for the Pro which means that most of the current PS4 user base that is interested in upgrading to the Pro will see little to no benefit from their current PS4 library which some people like myself have invested a lot of money into building since launch.

Sony should be making it easy for developers to patch their games over, by either funding the developers themselves or putting their own 1st party teams out there to help other developers patch their games for the Pro. Otherwise it makes the incentive to upgrade extremely minuscule.

Cudder

Didnt Naughty Dog say they had one guy working on the port for a month? And GG said two guys in two weeks?

I am sure i read that somewhere. They cant waste one engineer and a QA for this for a couple of months?

I mean i get it. They have already sold the game. Why would they waste ANY money on people who already made the game a success. I mean who gives a shit about your loyal userbase right?

LMAO. You're talking about the studio that is the direct antithesis to not giving loyal consumers what they want. 16 pieces of free DLC to anyone who bought any version of the game, and 2 sizeable expansion packs that were priced way lower than they could have gotten away with? Not to mention all of the updates and patches that were in direct relation to consumer feedback. Give me a break.

Hmm..

A bit strange as I understood the assets createf for this game are already in 4k..

Maybe a exclusive 4k special edition is on the way for a release with scorpion...

It would be a good deal for MS sure...

novabolt

Apart from the document saying that all games after Oct will need to be pro capable is there any other confirmation about that?

I can see the big publishers telling MS/Sony to FOOH if Pro and Scorpio ain't pulling their weight.

Bodes poorly for Pro support in future titles if it's too much work to increase some config variables to higher PC equivalents, or simply double the resolution. This smells like a lot of new games will come out with no Pro improvements.

This game is already out and into it's second release - how is this relevant to games in development? They'll likely release it again for full price next year, with Pro/Scorpio updates.

Maztorre

Perplexing decision that goes against their 'pro-consumer approach. If Mordor devs can find the time and resources to support Pro so can CDPR.

They are fully committed to two upcoming games and are still actively hiring for one of those projects, but please, show us how those lazy devs at CDPR actually have a secret console team that are doing nothing all day. If customers wanted Witcher at 4K or with higher quality assets they've offered that option since the game's launch.

If anything should be attacked it's the boneheaded concept of offering mid-gen console refreshes that require additional development work to even make use of. If Sony were aiming for this kind of business model from the beginning, they should have stipulated support for arbitrary changes to resolution/framerate/image quality the way PC games already do (something that Microsoft have started doing with their 1st party games as well). The result we have now is the worst of both worlds, where you get more frequent hardware upgrades, but software has to be retrofitted to support it.

KageMaru

I understand why they aren't implementing a pro mode with checkerboard rendering but it's a shame the game can't automatically take advantage of the higher clock speeds to improve performance of the base game.

Pro patches for old games just won't be happening all that much, so for Pro enhanced games, it will all be down to new games to deliver on that.

MMaRsu

Banned
Maybe a exclusive 4k special edition is on the way for a release with scorpion...

It would be a good deal for MS sure...

idLYs5.gif

Briarios

It's already miniscule. You're better off keeping your regular PS4 and building a PC to complement it.

You're not going to build a PC for $400 that can do what the Pro can do ... add in that if you're upgrading from a PS4, you'll have $100+ trade in or sales value.

Clearly, the Pro isn't for everyone, but if you have a 4k HDR TV, have to replace your PS4, or are getting a PSVR, it seems like a pretty good deal.

MMaRsu

Banned
I understand why they aren't implementing a pro mode with checkerboard rendering but it's a shame the game can't automatically take advantage of the higher clock speeds to improve performance of the base game.

I uhh..what?

The game is designed to run the way it runs. It's not going to magically improve performance because it's run a on system that can handle slightly more.

You're not going to build a PC for $400 that can do what the Pro can do ... add in that if you're upgrading from a PS4, you'll have $100+ trade in or sales value.

Clearly, the Pro isn't for everyone, but if you have an HDR TV, have to replace your PS4, or are getting a PSVR, it seems like a pretty good deal.

For 800$ you can build a PC that can do much much more than what a PS4 pro can do.

Noone has to replace their PS4. If the fan is making a shitton of noise open that sucker up and replace thermal paste.

I am getting PSVR, but I have been shown zero games that take advantage of the PS Pro.

And with the same CPU, same amount of RAM and only a slightly better videocard, it's not a pretty good deal. 100$ for a gaming system you paid 400$ for three years ago isn't a great deal. It's a fucking ripoff.

Iorv3th

Realistically if it's not a game that is going to get increased sales from supporting it, they probably won't waste resources on it.

First party will with older games because they want to sell the console.

But I don't see a lot of third party support for older games coming.

This isn't that surprising, considering they said multiple times once they were done with everything for Witcher 3 they were going in to full on development of Cyberpunk 2077. I'm completely fine with this...mostly because I want Cyberpunk 2077 as soon as possible.

theWB27

ಠ_ಠ

As I stated my concern with the Pro is that it's a half step and worryingly Sony doesn't seem to be pushing/supporting many AAA 3rd party developers to patch their previous AAA games for the Pro which means that most of the current PS4 user base that is interested in upgrading to the Pro will see little to no benefit from their current PS4 library which some people like myself have invested a lot of money into building since launch.

Sony should be making it easy for developers to patch their games over, by either funding the developers themselves or putting their own 1st party teams out there to help other developers patch their games for the Pro. Otherwise it makes the incentive to upgrade extremely minuscule.

Even if Sony were doing this...what if devs are still saying they don't want to. To me...it just sounds like they're ready to move on from the Witcher. Which is fully understandable with the amount of content and patches released.

The incentive is there for the future games released. And Sony has admitted as much that the pro is a half step measure between gens. It's meant for a little boost and better VR.

That's a shame, CDPR have been great with their post launch support and weren't Sony and devs saying it takes around about 2 people one month to provide PS4 Pro support to a game

They also stated the PS4 was designed to be one of the most easily programmed for machines released. How all these tricks cerny put in the PS4 would cut dev time in a great way and we've seen how that's worked out this gen. Even for their first party.

That's a shame, CDPR have been great with their post launch support and weren't Sony and devs saying it takes around about 2 people one month to provide PS4 Pro support to a game

KageMaru

I uhh..what?

The game is designed to run the way it runs. It's not going to magically improve performance because it's run a on system that can handle slightly more.

The game is not designed to run at sub-30 fps though, so at the times where it's CPU bound, it would be cool if the higher clocked CPU can help.

Gxgear

I'm okay with this, they've already spent more than other developers would on optimization. I'm assuming the game would also get a natural boost in performance based on the better specs alone?

khaaan

I don't care for The Witcher or CD Projekt but they've probably looked at the numbers and determined that they're not going to gain much or as much as they would like. It would be nice to see but whatever, their decision and it probably makes sense. What's silly though is the people trying to quantify the amount of work needed and how much impact it will have. This includes the people who for whatever reason believe that it will be something that causes Cyberpunk 2077 to be delayed.

Kill3r7

Don't confuse PR with reality. The effort required might be minimal but the reward might be less than the cost.

Fdkn

This game is already out and into it's second release - how is this relevant to games in development? They'll likely release it again for full price next year, with Pro/Scorpio updates.

they're not allowed to do that, at least for Pro

They can rerelease the game all the times they want but the patch must be free for previous buyers

Tovarisc

Don't confuse PR with reality. The effort required might be minimal but the reward might be less than the cost.

This. You have X amount of developers working on it for Y weeks. Then you need Q&A it. Cert it. Market it so it actually has visibility and get traction among players.

Costs quickly add up for studio for little or no return. Especially for studio like CDPR that isn't bankrolled by big publisher or platform owner.

So they went from making a free enhanced version of The Witcher 2 to this. Okay then.

So you missed all TW3's post-release support? You have some catching up to do.

Top Bottom