• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness using 5GB RAM so far

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinci

Danish
But wouldn't the most optimised game use all of the RAM? If it's not using it all... then there is still untapped performance?

Depends on your needs. Going out of your way to use as much as possible or as little as possible seems silly either way. Use what you need to deliver the experience you want to, within the confines of what you can technically perform and afford to do.

That's my guess, anyway; I'm speaking from an outsider perspective, but rationally that makes the most sense.

Jac_Solar

True, but a poorly optimised game (irrelevant of the hardware) would make for a worse experience. They need to find a balance.

He's used 5gb of the 8gb available ram. He's loading everything into 1 chunk, or something along those lines, which means that you only need to load the entire world once, and it should be fluid. No texture pop in, no loading after the initial load, etc. It shouldn't be a worse experience at all.

If he started "optimizing", it's more likely that it'd make for a worse experience, as he'd need to separate the chunks and condense everything.

Framerates tend to struggle when there's a lot happening on screen at once, obviously. What we might consider "poor optimization", or low framerates for no apparent reason, is almost always due to the game trying to load stuff that's out of your field of view, or if the game fails to unload stuff that you have loaded -- but these things are related to several things; rendering solutions, GPU, CPU power, etc. It's not really related to what he was talking about, since he was simply talking about how he was using the ram.

I think that's how it works, anyways.

Randdalf

But wouldn't the most optimised game use all of the RAM? If it's not using it all... then there is still untapped performance?

Well, first of all, if the game itself was only 5GB in size (including dynamic memory usage) then there would be no reason to used any more RAM because you can just upload the whole game into main memory to avoid having to load from disc constantly (i.e. minimal load times if any).

RAM != performance, a badly written program will still run just as badly on a machine with 1GB of RAM as it would on a machine with 32GB of RAM. You can certainly create algorithms that are more optimal with some pre-processing step, but in general more RAM just means you can avoid loading stuff from the hard drive. Assuming the size of games doesn't increase eight-fold, then this means there will be less loading times, no need for streaming from disc, no need to decompress data after it has finished loading (Naughty Dog's engine does this iirc). It reduces the complexity of the game engine.

hesido

Imaginary Blow Quote: "Oh, ok, I'll just start optimizing so that the game runs on 1GB of ram, I'll devote an entire month doing it, and another month fixing bugs. Oh, btw, you'll get less puzzles but hey, I need to prove I can do this to some GAF users."

Imaginary GAF User Quote after he gets it to work at 1GB: "1GB? Uncharted 3 looks better than this and it works on 512MB *split* ram on older hardware with less gigaflops. I'm very tech-savy and I know about split Ram's and stuff."

Vinci

Danish
This game barely looks any better than Wind Waker HD. He should probably keep his mouth shut.

Considering Wind Waker looks better to me than the vast multitude of games released these days, that's a helluva compliment. Its art style, to this day, is stunning.

The first few pages are straight up gamefaqs fanboy material.

The game is optimized to make good use of one of the PS4's main strengths, not the other way round.

Considering Wind Waker looks better to me than the vast multitude of games released these days, that's a helluva compliment. Its art style, to this day, is stunning.

Obviously I'm not talking about the art. Or I would be talking about Bioshock Infinite.

Vinci

Danish
Obviously I'm not talking about the art. Or I would be talking about Bioshock Infinite.

I realize that, just responding to what I thought was an odd comment. If the game is achieving something that few other games have in the last ten years, i.e. approaching the level of Wind Waker's art style, then I would really like the person responsible to make as many waves as possible. Also, I'm not 100% certain that achieving that sort of art style is necessarily easier to do technically.

Paracelsus

He is in a much better position to talk about it then 99% of the people on this forum, yet it doesn't stop them talking either.

Most PC games (poor optimization) don't take more than 2-3 gb overall at 1080p. If he's shooting for 5 I hope for him it means 1440p native and textures worth of real life.

This game barely looks any better than Wind Waker HD. He should probably keep his mouth shut.

That is a very, very crappy comparison. You should probably keep your mouth shut.

Different art style, one game being by a big company, RAM having little to do with the art in the first place and different reasons.

Why is it unoptimized? If you have the memory, you should use it. He can have tons of stuff loaded/cached in memory without the need to manage it extensively. If he can essentially fit the entire game in memory, then that's a huge plus.

My thoughts exactly. My biggest gripe with Gran Turismo 5 is how long it takes to do anything because the game is always loading stuff in to memory from either the game disc or the local HD that only stores a small amount of data(5GB?) on it for the game.

This new next gen is going to be great for both console and PC gamers because the developers aren't restricted to such anemic constraints. However, I do believe developers are still going to figure out how to squeeze as much work as they can out of these systems like what has happened as every console system has aged.

KidBeta

Most PC games (poor optimization) don't take more than 2-3 gb overall at 1080p. If he's shooting for 5 I hope for him it means 1440p native and textures worth of real life.

Those 4GB video cards are sure strange then.

So is the 6GB titan.

Useless according to you.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
This assumes that having a conversation on twitter prevents him from doing so. Seems to be quite a misconception.

Maybe some people think a person making a few tweets or producing a 30 minute development video every few months = someone sitting on the net all day to bullshit about games and getting no work done.

tkscz

jZU6occCS3EQV.png

https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Blow

Sad when a developer thinks that in store RAM is the exact same price as embedded RAM bought in bulk.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Sad when a developer thinks that in store RAM is the exact same price as embedded RAM bought in bulk.

But he says much the opposite.

Edit: I can't tell if by "embedded RAM" you're referring to the DDR3 or ESRAM. In any case, as Theonik says, the comment is in regard to the former.

That is a very, very crappy comparison. You should probably keep your mouth shut.

Different art style, one game being by a big company, RAM having little to do with the art in the first place and different reasons.

What are you even talking about man?

It's like reading comprehension is in the toiled these days. I was clearly talking about graphic fidelity in a cell shaded game.

What the hell does that have to do with them being different art styles and big/small companies?!

Wind Waker is a 10 year old game or something. Think about that.

I'm not sure that people understand what the word unoptimized means. I also don't think that some of you are grasping that 'optimizing' to make more room in the memory for other things means cutting corners and making sacrifices to get it to run.

Using ram that is available to you and still having some left is in no way, shape, or form, unoptimized. Ever. Ever ever.

I'm not sure that people understand what the word unoptimized means. I also don't think that some of you are grasping that 'optimizing' to make more room in the memory for other things means cutting corners and making sacrifices to get it to run.

Using ram that is available to you and still having some left is in no way, shape, or form, unoptimized. Ever. Ever ever.

It's just a way to say "Well this game doesn't look good enough to me in comparison to other games, and those use less ram".

bomblord

Banned
I'm also calling unoptimized code. Unless he's trying for 2k textures the issue I'm having is that most of them seem to be flat colors which can be much more easily done by just assigning a color to the geometry instead of a needlessly huge texture.
Also optimized code is always the way to go it can cause issues and slowdowns for the garbage collection if there's 2-3gb of useless data to cleanup at a time.

The only way it's not unoptimized is if he's loading the entire game into memory at once, which is fine but I wish he would have said that instead of implying it's the textures taking up that much space.

Durante

This is what I was always talking about regarding development costs: having a more powerful platform can actually make development cheaper, at least for everyone not building "AAAA" games. This is a very good thing. Optimization is not a goal in and of itself -- it's a means to an end, and the less you need to do of it to achieve that end the better.

M°°nblade;62328481 said:
It's not about how good a game looks using a certain amount of RAM.

It's about how easy it is to develop a game using a certain amount of RAM.

Are you kidding me? Really? The reason why we needed more RAM was so devs could make the same looking games than before, but have an easier time?

I don't even know what's happening anymore. Sure more ram enables that, but that's not why these machines will have more ram.

Dat subjective opinion. Seriously the comparisons are retarded.

Every opinion is subjective.

Xyber

Wow, so much hate in this thread.

RAM is meant to be used. If he can load most of his game on to the RAM and thereby reduce the loading time (or even remove them for the most part) then why is it a bad thing?

It's the same shit on PC, people are complaining when a browser uses 500MB of RAM when they sit on 6GB that is completely unused. Why have all that RAM if you are not going to utilize it?

It's not lazy from his part. Why waste time on a streaming solution if he just don't need it?

TheD

The Detective
I'm also calling unoptimized code. Unless he's trying for 2k textures most of them seem to be flat colors which can be done just by assigning a color to it instead of using a massive texture.

Also optimized code is always the way to go it can cause issues and slowdowns for the garbage collection if there's 2-3gb of useless data to cleanup at a time.

The only way it's not unoptimized is if he's loading the entire game into memory at once, which is fine but I wish he would have said that instead of implying it's the textures taking up that much space.

It is clearly not just flat colours!

Saying that he should for NO REASON cut down on textures and replace them with fucking flood filled polygons is not logical.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
It seems the specter of "graphical realism equals technical sophistication" rears its head once again. And this assumption is underlying the conversation for a lot of people.

Ty4on

If DDR3 is so inexpensive like he says, it kinda makes me wonder how Nintendo couldn't put a measly 4GB of RAM in the Wii U.

Sorry for the late reply to something everyone has given their two cents, but DDR3 isn't that cheap.

Computer sales are going down and as a result more and more RAM producers focus on RAM for mobile devices. The result isn't just that prices have stopped going down, they're actually going up.

eou7sBZ.png

So The Witness is 5GB so far, but it will be bigger than the available 7GB.

Either there isn't 7 GB or I'm completely perplexed by his RAM usage...especially if he is going to then "optimize" it for an ipad...

From his latest comment it seems he is not loading the game into a RAMdrive like environment.

I just don't know what he's doing with all these assets then? Better hope he doesn't have a memory leak either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom