• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 Japanese Website Opens (New Footage/Artwork/Details)

Not expecting Bayonetta level of combat, but I haven't even seen Viewtiful Joe level. And if you're making a 20 hour action game, you better make the action work for that long, or the pacing goes to shit and draaaaaaaags on(Okami, the game that never fuckin' ends)

Not expecting Bayonetta level of combat, but I haven't even seen Viewtiful Joe level. And if you're making a 20 hour action game, you better make the action work for that long, or the pacing goes to shit and draaaaaaaags on(Okami, the game that never fuckin' ends)

Okami's pacing issues always stemmed more from the endless dialogue than anything. I always thought the game itself was fun all the way through despite being rather simple in execution and like 50 hours long. If it told its story in the same manner the paintings they took inspiration from do (ie: with little to no words) the game would be even better.

As for TW101, if it's truly 20 hours long, I'm sure there's a lot of situational variety to justify that length. I'm just personally not expecting super combo fest '98. Though I'd be fine with that too, y'know, whatever.

Plus, if each character has their own morph (or even 1/3 of them), it'd get pretty complex no?

What are the morphs we know of?

Gun
Sword
Hand
Hammer
Chain
Whip

Any others that are confirmed?

Hoodbury

I'm still a bit confused on the number. Are there actually 100 separate heroes that are all different, or is it just the main 7 that are in the OP's image and then the other 93 are just civilians you pick up along the way?

zoukka

I'm still a bit confused on the number. Are there actually 100 separate heroes that are all different, or is it just the main 7 that are in the OP's image and then the other 93 are just civilians you pick up along the way?

I would guess so, no way they have a hundred unique characters :b

wsippel

Banned
Plus, if each character has their own morph (or even 1/3 of them), it'd get pretty complex no?

Gun
Sword
Hand
Hammer
Chain
Whip

Some utility and defensive ones: Pudding, spring, bridge and ladder.

Kouriozan

The "other 93" are Wonderful Heroes too, if you recruit them they'll stay with you.
Apparently they have some abilities or something like that, but you really only control the 7 main Heroes.

Nothing they showcased have made me think, "Ok, this is gonna be an awesome action game!", outside it's superheroic style and those QTE gifs everybody will be quoting from now until the end of the world. If Hideki Kamiya wasn't attached to it, I'd be less interested based on the gameplay videos and demonstrations I've seen so far. It's also such a weird little game with a weird control scheme, there's no immediate game you can compare it to.

It's like the pre-release of Michael Mann's "Public Enemies" in my head right now, it all sounds really cool and looks superficially cool on the surface, but the actual product...eh, the verdict is still out on that one.

Village

Gun
Sword
Hand
Hammer
Chain
Whip

02_02.png

Well the Ninja is using some a pair of vega's, maybe they morph into that.

and The tiny kid has a 3ds like device, maybe his attacks are technology oriented or game oriented. Maybe he will be this games 9 volt, make em morph into video game stuff.

02_02.png

Well the Ninja is using some a pair of vega's, maybe they morph into that.

and The tiny kid has a 3ds like device, maybe his attacks are technology oriented or game oriented. Maybe he will be this games 9 volt, make em morph into video game stuff.

I just noticed that the Ninja's helmet has the Chinese character for 100 on there...

.la1n

It looks fantastic. Kind of bummed about the lack of online multiplayer, that would have been nice.

I wouldn't worry about gameplay knowing who's behind the game (not counting Nintendo may have looked a little into the dev so they could have help with ideas for best use of GamePad capabilities).

Also like it has been said IGN is not the best source for impressions. I personally think that they may take a challenging and precise gameplay for something not really good simply because they don't manage to succeed in some part of the game.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

Wonder-shit!
Btw, Okami pace flaws were due to the genre (vast exploration, somehow bland) and the dialogues. W101 is a more straight to the point action game (with fresh ideas for combat, super attacks and environmental interaction)

Lunar15

Has it been explained why it's "wonder-eyes" and not "wonderize?" I mean, if they've got a reason, it's cool with me, but if not it's kind of bugging me out.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Has it been explained why it's "wonder-eyes" and not "wonderize?" I mean, if they've got a reason, it's cool with me, but if not it's kind of bugging me out.

I think that: you are a Wonderful Hero only if you wear a mask. Masks cover your face and highlight your eyes.
So: Wonder-Eyes!

Awesome footage, was hoping to see more of Wonder Yellow, Black and White but its all good. Really hoping that female villain ends up as the 8th Ranger or something haha.

KrawlMan

They are originally Chinese though. We still call them Roman letters and Arabic numerals even though we use them to write English.

我知道了,學中文是我的愛好. However, I wasn't stating you were wrong, I was just stating an additional fact more relevant to the game and its development/origin.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
There s dodge offset and pudding parry, pretty sure there is enough combo potential.

Thank you based Kamiya. This game caught my attention since the first day they showed it and I'm sure there's infinitely more to the game than meets the eye and I caaan't wait to get to discover everything.

TDLink

Something about the enemy wonderful one reminds me of Berg Katse...I'm all for more Gatchaman references of course.

Top Bottom