• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 |OT| Diplomacy has failed

So I finished this today and on the whole I really enjoyed this. The art of killing is just so much fun and I'm itching to go back for the harder difficulty.

I am disappointed by the technical issues though. I know this is kinda blasphemous to say but I kinda wish that Platinum would just target 30fps as it seems the game spends less than 15% of the time at silky smooth 60fps that it's quite jarring when you move from smooth to relatively jerky action. I've played quite a few Platinum games and I think the only one with a smooth frame rate is Infinite Space and I'm not completely sure if I'd give them credit on that one!

fred

Just bought a Wii U to play this. Boy, I hope it's good!

It certainly is mate. It's currently in my top 5 best games of all-time list and I'm not even a third of the way through yet lol.

Now that you have a Wii U I thought I'd give you my list of must-own titles for it: ZombiU, Batman Arkham City, Lego City Undercover, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Pikmin 3 and of course The Wonderful 101.

The boss fights in this game are absolutely INSANE lol, and there's plenty of replay value due to the game having hidden stuff all over the place, secret missions and times and medals to beat.

Salih

I have just beaten Boss in Operation 005. R U KIDDIN ME?! It felt like it was the final boss fight. The presentation was outstanding. It just kept on delivering.

i really take my time with this game. I usually play a complete Op. then i go back and replay some of the old ones just for fun and training and often i still find something new here and there.

God bless the two GAFers (Kyou and Zeldana) that tried to get me signed copies of W101 at PAX. Kyou succeeded early in the morning, so huge props to him.

I am so excited I can't contain it.

JPKellams

I didn't get a signed one. =(

We are usually at the booth in the morning or right before the show floor closes... Stop by and say hello. We tweet when we are at the booth.

We also have the signing at the store tomorrow morning and we will try to accommodate people after the panel, as best we can without making PAX peeps mad.

Kamiya-san is enjoying meeting everyone and we are trying our best to be available to say hi.

Dartastic

We are usually at the booth in the morning or right before the show floor closes... Stop by and say hello. We tweet when we are at the booth.

We also have the signing at the store tomorrow morning and we will try to accommodate people after the panel, as best we can without making PAX peeps mad.

Kamiya-san is enjoying meeting everyone and we are trying our best to be available to say hi.
Excellent! Thank you! I'll try and make my way to the signing at the store tomorrow morning just in case. What time is it at?

Riki

Tell him he has some huge fans on GAF! Really would love to meet him. Seems like one hell of a class act and a fun guy.

Dartastic

Awesome. I'll be there. Thanks again! Really looking forward to getting back home and playing W101.
3AQmK.gif

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
If someone kisses him from me I'll donate $50 USD to a charity of your choosing.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Here's another stupid question, how do you actually use the gamepad for drawing? I've always used the right stick, I play on the gamepad since I don't have a TV so maybe it's disabled by default when using offtv-play?

If the man himself tells sticks are the way to go... what can you do?

Ask your mum.

Here's another stupid question, how do you actually use the gamepad for draving? I've always used the right stick, I play on the gamepad since I don't have a TV so maybe it's disabled by default when using offtv-play?

It's disabled in off tv play, yeah. You don't have the "input panel" if the Gamepad is displaying the primary screen.

Alrus

Is there anyway to retry a mission without being sent back to the operation select menu? It would make it easier to get better ranks if so >.>

Also, game glitched during the first boss, I had its health down to zero but it never triggered the next events with building its eyes and so... Kinda frustrating as I was doing much better than the first time I fought it...

Neff

If someone kisses him from me I'll donate $50 USD to a charity of your choosing.

I've tried to convince my girlfriend to sleep with him, but she says no. I just don't know what's wrong with her.

Maybe she's a lesbian.

Alrus

Second boss wrecked me really hard :( Couldn't counter a single of its attack and ended up dying twice before finally taking it down... And I'm playing on Easy, I feel so noobish :(

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
A very easy and effective stun tactic against single enemies is to exploit unite bomb and group attack. Cast bomb on the enemy and mash X to send in heroes for grapple attacks. Keep casting bomb and mashing X to lock the opponent down, unable to shake off the heroes, and you should be able to get them into a stun. Then you can launch into a juggle with multi unite attacks. Once you've done enough damage and they've hit the ground, repeat.

Kid Ying

A very easy and effective stun tactic against single enemies is to exploit unite bomb and group attack. Cast bomb on the enemy and mash X to send in heroes for grapple attacks. Keep casting bomb and mashing X to lock the opponent down, unable to shake off the heroes, and you should be able to get them into a stun. Then you can launch into a juggle with multi unite attacks. Once you've done enough damage and they've hit the ground, repeat.
I found that to almosy break the game. Ecen when youre fighting against more than one it works, since the area its always locked and you can keep going. Its an easy way to get some platinums or even pure platinums.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I found that to almosy break the game. Ecen when youre fighting against more than one it works, since the area its always locked and you can keep going. Its an easy way to get some platinums or even pure platinums.

Yeah. I'm going to assume it's less exploitable on harder difficulties due to the remixed encounters.

Alrus

The boss fight, however, is one of the coolest in the game imo.

Yeah the boss fight kinda made up for the annoying parts before it :) I found it easier than the second boss though, most of its attack are pretty easy to dodge and it's rather obvious what morph you have to use to counter them.

Drawing the hammer with the stick has been a bitch though, gotta train more.

hal9001

Banned
The boss fights in this game are absolutely INSANE lol, and there's plenty of replay value due to the game having hidden stuff all over the place, secret missions and times and medals to beat.

Hahahaaaaaaa... just you wait.

Yeah, I don't want to overhype it too much but the last operation section and final boss fight will give you an entirely new perspective of the scale in this game.
By the end of the fight I was exhausted and the final QTE to save the earth was one of the best gaming moments I have ever experienced where I was simultaneously laughing with joy and destroying the button with my finger (the only time that has happened in which I was so emotionally invested and immersed in a game at a particular moment was only similar to the hallway scene in MGS4)

I just finished 8-2. I can really feel the amount of effort they put in this game just oozing out of every level.
Unless the next few chapters until the end of the game take a major downwards spiral, I can comfortably call this the best game Platinum have ever made.

Someone needs to compile a list of all the Nintendo references.

Ending spoilers -
I'm not sure, but I think Platinum Robo might be referencing Chibi Robo. Platinum Robo's head seemed to be a similar shape as Chibi's.

Also, loved Mother Brain Jerginghaa!!

daakusedo

There's a 10 unit morphs combo reward, we should think a bit about it...
Does an unit X keep an enemy in the air and let you time to fall and jumb back? Because I'm not sure it's possible with only two uppercuts.

Yazan

Best and most efficient way in killing these turtle enemies? Must be a better than hammering the shit out of their shells.

Best and most efficient way in killing these turtle enemies? Must be a better than hammering the shit out of their shells.

Stand up close so they tried to stomp you with one foot, block it to unsettle them, then knock them on their back with some punches and have at them.

Sadist

Man oh man, this game. This game. Chapter 7 wasn't my favourite although I love the ending hehe, but man chapter eight and nine have been totally cray cray. Just one more bossbattle between me and reaching the ending :(

Sendou

Oh my god the boss of Operation

Mecha Punch-out inside a volcano and everything that lead up to it. Volcano finishing the deal! I mean everything about that fight was spot on.

Ask your mum.

It's disabled in off tv play, yeah. You don't have the "input panel" if the Gamepad is displaying the primary screen.
I asked your mum bro, she liked the joystick by a mile deep. XD
The Okami strategy in full effect. Platinum loves to pay homage to the classics.

Top Bottom