• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 |OT| Diplomacy has failed

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Damn things are looking pretty good for the game all of a sudden

and yeah they probably beat Anarchy in the US with just that alone u right JC I'll stay free

Honestly, I keep forgetting Anarchy Reigns even came out this year, and I think I'm the target audience, can't imagine how bad that flopped

If only I could have gone back in time and stopped myself from getting attached to these wacky japanese action game bombas. So many depressing sales figures could have been avoided. So many years waiting on a Viewtiful Joe 3 that will never materialize. So many games exclusive to Japan that I'll never play because lol-regionlock.

Exile20

Watched the GT review. I wan't to buy the game but I don't have enough moneyyyyyyyyy. :(

I loved ZombiU after dying in the first 45 seconds of the game. Bam you're in control, Hey zombies! Oh shit I'm dead. :(

ZombiU was awesome. I also loved the multiplayer.

I am still salty at no ZombiU 2

D-e-f-

Banned
ZombiU was awesome. I also loved the multiplayer.

I am still salty at no ZombiU 2

Btw I still bet that's just put "on ice" for now while Ubi is waiting out the Wii U holiday. It's a fan favorite and it would fit right in with their "magic online integration" in the way it would naturally expand into an open-city instead of segmented levels. hell, they could even just slap a new name on it to get rid of the "lol is it really called that?" curse. They were still prototyping ideas in early Spring when apparently the plug got pulled. Or maybe they still have a handful of guys experimenting so they're ready if Wii U goes back to more "normal" sales by next year (E3 2014, bitches!).

Believe.

WiiU = the underdog console for the underdog games.

Proven

I seem to recall being able to steal members from my co-player's squad in the demo. We had several beers by that time, though, so I'm a bit fuzzy. I think that perhaps they had been stunned, and I circled them to bring them over to my side?

I hope I'm not totally off on this. ;)
You're completely on the mark on this.

I still dont know how to tip over the turtles. Is using unite guts before the fall into the groubd when they do the no fire stomp with both hands? I tried that yesterday and I dont know if i was to far but it didnt work.
They technically have three stomp attacks. There's fire stomp, which you're mentioning, that causes a fire explosion to come up out of the ground under your leader character. I don't think there's any way to block the initial stomp.

Then there's the side/back foot stomp, which is the easiest the block and what we're talking about. Just get next to and behind them, they'll lift one foot to try and hit you, use Guts.

Then there's the two front feet stomp, which you can also block, but for some reason tends to miss people a lot when going for a block.

Decent read. Will be lost to the ether soon enough though.

Edit: The comments are too bad either
Game reviewers by and large seem to behind the curve with developing a mature culture of criticism and games writing. Games press feels much of its role is to rate the investment value of a game for the widest audience possible. In short: should you spend money to buy this game and will you get a pucker face if you spend your money and hate the game. This attitude leads game writers to frame games in terms of how safe they are to purchase. The safer the purchase, the higher the rating. That’s a great way to review a washing machine, but it’s a terrible way to review creative media. For example, this approach feels as if it has given rise to the worship of the short, experience-based game. The Portal, the Braids, the popular “art game” of the week.

Edit: I knew I recognized the name. These are the guys that made the last two episodes of the Precipice of Darkness games. This blog post might actually get a plug somewhere.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly, I keep forgetting Anarchy Reigns even came out this year, and I think I'm the target audience, can't imagine how bad that flopped

I'm happy as hell that the game exists

but it was pretty much a game that no one wanted. Platinum's typical audience wants strong single player games. People on console don't want to buy multiplayer only games.(which anarchy might as well have been) Fighting game fans don't want games that don't support offline local play. Game alienated just about every potential audience it had in some way.

I honestly don't know how they got Sega to greenlight it. Let alone to expect it to sell 750k at 60 dollars at one point.

I'd kickstart a spiritual successor on PC in a heartbeat though

Proven

Maybe they'll make a spiritual sequel as a MOBA.

...Actually, I'd love if they did that but took the Monday Night Combat/Awesomenauts route of design rather than the LoL/DotA route. Also, make it primarily melee based rather than ranged/gun based.

D-e-f-

Banned
I honestly don't know how they got Sega to greenlight it. Let alone to expect it to sell 750k at 60 dollars at one point.

"Hey that Wii game we made? The artsy and unique looking black and white one? Apparently nobody buys violent games on Wii. How about we make it look "realistic" and build it around online play which dem peoplez on the HD systems love! That has to sell, right?"
SEGA: "Yea, sounds like a hit!"

Proven

Okay, so I've been looking at some of the discussion around the internet about the Zeboyd article. There isn't much, but it bothers me how much stuff comes off as "impossible" to get.

fred

Btw I still bet that's just put "on ice" for now while Ubi is waiting out the Wii U holiday. It's a fan favorite and it would fit right in with their "magic online integration" in the way it would naturally expand into an open-city instead of segmented levels. hell, they could even just slap a new name on it to get rid of the "lol is it really called that?" curse. They were still prototyping ideas in early Spring when apparently the plug got pulled. Or maybe they still have a handful of guys experimenting so they're ready if Wii U goes back to more "normal" sales by next year (E3 2014, bitches!).

Believe.

WiiU = the underdog console for the underdog games.

I agree, I think we'll see a ZombiU2 after the sales have got more respectable. Starring Bono lol

Zombi U2 existed, at one point. At least that's what people tell me. Work started immediately after the first game then was put on hold in February and then stomped to death in June-ish.

If it comes back, it will be for multiple systems and not have any real Wii U-exclusive features, but the manner in which it was destroyed (Guillemot views the first game as an extremely bad decision) makes me think it's gone for good.

Things got so bad for Wii U development at Ubisoft that some HD remakes that I assume would have been announced by now got cancelled. HD remakes.

D-e-f-

Banned
Zombi U2 existed, at one point. At least that's what people tell me. Work started immediately after the first game then was put on hold in February and then stomped to death in June-ish.

If it comes back, it will be for multiple systems and not have any real Wii U-exclusive features, but the manner in which it was destroyed (Guillemot views the first game as an extremely bad decision) makes me think it's gone for good.

Things got so bad for Wii U development at Ubisoft that some HD remakes that I assume would have been announced by now got cancelled. HD remakes.

That sounds so weirdly schizophrenic that they then still went ahead and announced Watch Dogs, even surprisingly putting out special editions in Europe as the only publisher. Yves should realize that the game's title and marketing really didn't help matters. It always came off as kind of goofy just looking at it from a distance.

Proven

Okay, so I've been looking at some of the discussion around the internet about the Zeboyd article. There isn't much, but it bothers me how much stuff comes off as "impossible" to get.

To go a little further from my last post, the game gives you the basics. It teaches you the shape idea behind each weapon (draw a circle, then a line, not an extension of the same circle). It tells you how to buy things, points you in the direction the store, and gives you just enough money to buy Guts. It gives you a combo bonus system on the side as you're attacking, with colors and symbols that pop up when you do something the game likes. The game ranks you each mission on time and damage, which hints at the fact that there are faster ways to kill things and that you should be constantly working on your defense.

After that, I'd think you'd be able to experiment and figure things out for yourself. Pay attention to what's going on and learn stuff as you go. Experiment with every new ability you get as much as possible. Don't be afraid to go back and replay a stage to practice, as you'll get extra money anyway you can use to buy more upgrades and items. Change the difficulty if you feel like.

I'd say the hardest part about this game is that while it has a mostly consistent lexicon, it doesn't match up with the way a lot of other games do things. A simpler action adventure game would color code similar types of attacks to the same color all the time, and will do its best to present that type of attack to you in the same exact method you saw it from the beginning of the game to the very last fight. But Wonderful 101 tries to be a bit more realistic than that. Are you being physically stomped from above? I don't care if it's a piece of a building or a Godzilla sized robot, put up your Guts defense! A laser is coming at you? It doesn't matter what color it is, pull out your Sword! An enemy is blocking your attack? If you can get behind it, Climb Attack to disable it!

But as EatChildren said, if enough people are talking about a problem, maybe one is there. But the game gives you the tools to succeed. Perhaps I'm just the type of person with a discerning eye and gamer lust for this type of thing. I remember when Madworld came out and having so much fun figuring out all the little hidden interactions you can have with enemies or stage props, some hidden around a corner but easily found if you just went down the path on the right.

I honestly don't have much hope for the Wii U to become much more than a Dreamcast. Maybe it can reach Gamecube status with a bunch of JPN developer agreements. Maybe. But I'm mostly here to enjoy the decline.

I think the part that most people don't get with the shapes is you don't need to draw it right in front of the direct you're facing. Unless there's fire or something in the way, draw the gesture the way you've always done it. Sickle should always be up and then half circle if that's how you feel comfortable doing it.

What exactly did they expect from ZombiU as a new IP, a survival horror game, an fps and one of the hardest games of the generation ?. Didn't it sell around 400 000 copies on an install base of 3 million ?, I bet it shifted a few thousand bundles aswell at launch.

On topic I completed W-101 last week. It was a fantastic game but my main problem was the amount of cut scenes, of the 22 hours it took me to complete the SP I think my 'play time' was around 12 hours which is just overkill in terms of story in this type of experience imo.

Still a great game though, a 9/10 for me and the second best game on WiiU behind Pikmin 3. I hope you all really enjoy it, sucks you had to wait so long after JP and the EU :(.

Proven

I think the part that most people don't get with the shapes is you don't need to draw it right in front of the direct you're facing. Unless there's fire or something in the way, draw the gesture the way you've always done it. Sickle should always be up and then half circle if that's how you feel comfortable doing it.

Actually, the problem I've noticed is that people get scared and try to draw it too far away from the creature. One of three things usually happen:

1. The person tunnel visions as they try to make the shape. But unless you're playing on Easy the enemies aren't very kind. So they get hit while trying to draw it, or more demoralizing, they get hit the second they succeed and the morph consequently breaks.

2. They successfully draw the morph. They slowly, slowly, slowly walk over to the enemy. They get one, maybe two attacks off before the morph time limit is up and it goes down to the smallest 10-man size.

3. The player tries to draw the same direction they always do. This ends up being into a hazard (e.g. spikes, fire, electricity, another enemy attack). They no longer have enough people for the size of the morph they were trying to make. They either don't think to or feel like it's unproductive to try and draw a smaller version of the same shape and have to go run around and gather. Often running straight into that very same hazard.

Alternate 3. Attack Liner is on and the line runs through an armored enemy like the turtles.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Watch_Dogs was announced and set in motion for the Wii U fairly early I think, so it didn't make sense to pull the plug. Probably similar for Splinter Cell.

Folk need to realise how dire the Wii U situation is, particularly software attachment ratios, when it comes to a studio like Ubisoft. Niche software on a niche system is good, but that niche software still needs to sell well. As far as I'm aware, Ubisoft were not happy with ZombiU's performance at all, and nobody is happy with software sales for anything. Niche it may be, you're better off trying your luck elsewhere with niche software that isn't even selling on a niche system.

ZombiU 2 would have happened if the first game sold well. It didn't. If a sequel comes, not only will it be multi-plat, but I wouldn't even be surprised if they skipped the Wii U (though I expect they'd cheapo port it anyway to cash in on that smaller fanbase).

I know at least one HD remake that was in development for Wii U that, based on the fact it hasn't been announced, I assume has been canned.

kurbaan

Banned
I think anyone expecting any 3rd party to support the WII U is just being foolish. They have no reason too unless they wanna hurt their bottom line for some reason. Every 3rd party game has come and bombed.

If you own a WII U it should be to play whatever Nintendo puts out. Anything 3rd party is a bonus.

neohwa

so is this game like Viewtiful Joe? Because I don't like that at all.

They need better character designs for it to appeal and sell imo.

Cosmozone

If I were a third party, I would port my main engine to Wii U (one time investment), then cheap port most of my multiplat games and make them available at least digitally. This will
- give me a better reputation among Nintendo users
- even make a little money, if not too much.

If my engine can't be ported easily to a non-specialized platform such as the Wii U, I'm doing something wrong, obviously.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
- give me a better reputation among Nintendo users

Doesn't mean much in the long run when "Nintendo users" aren't even buying their own software.

- even make a little money, if not too much.

Not necessarily true. Port jobs are not so cheap that you can make it up with a couple of sales. Ubisoft is bailing out because software attachment ratios are that bad.

If my engine can't be ported easily to a non-specialized platform such as the Wii U, I'm doing something wrong, obviously.

Or it's just not worth it because the games running on said engine are too demanding for the Wii U's hardware (more applicable when the current generation ports phase out).

If I were a third party I'd criticise Nintendo for fucking up the launch and post-launch period of their next generation system and promise support when/if they get their shit together.

Nyoro SF

Yeah after reading the W101 thread about people giving their reasons for not purchasing, I no longer place any blame on 3rd parties for not supporting the Wii U. They were right in their decision all along.

fred

I think anyone expecting any 3rd party to support the WII U is just being foolish. They have no reason too unless they wanna hurt their bottom line for some reason. Every 3rd party game has come and bombed.

If you own a WII U it should be to play whatever Nintendo puts out. Anything 3rd party is a bonus.

It'll end up getting third party support next year. Publishers are going to be losing a great deal of money through their PS4 and One support (it happens every generation) and will be foolish to ignore a console with a far superior installed userbase. You won't see the PS4 and One selling more than 2m each this year, and publishers shouldn't expect much more than a 5% adoption rate of software. Any sales over 200K between launch day and the end of the year will probably be first party exclusives, although I guess FIFA and CoD may come close.

If Wii U hardware sales go the way I'm thinking before the end of the year and last generation's launch sales are anything to go by we're going to see over 8m Wii Us in homes and less than 2m PS4s and Ones, with Nintendo having Mario Kart 8 launching in April next year to drive sales further.

If my Wii U sales prediction is wrong I won't be more than 2m out at the very worst...and I think my PS4 and One sales are correct considering that the PS3 did around 1.7m and the 360 did around 1.5m during their launch periods (unless I've got those figures wrong, those figures seem to be bandied about but I will stand to be corrected!).

As for ZombiU2 going multiplatform I can't see that happening tbh, using laggy Smartglass and Vita as a substitute for the GamePad won't work too well. Using the DS3 for the Murfy part of the PS3 Rayman Legends demo proves that games designed for the GamePad don't translate well to 'regular' controllers imo.

Cosmozone

Doesn't mean much in the long run when "Nintendo users" aren't even buying their own software.
That really depends on the software. Generally, a struggling market that is not fed with games will dwindle even faster.
Not necessarily true. Port jobs are not so cheap that you can make it up with a couple of sales.
As I said, when a port, even downport, is not cheap I'm doing something wrong.

RetroMG

Two questions:

1.) Is this game going to actually be $60 for digital release?

2.) How do the WiiU Deluxe owners get and redeem the points mentioned in the OP? I've had my WiiU since launch and have never seen anything about it.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Two questions:

1.) Is this game going to actually be $60 for digital release?

2.) How do the WiiU Deluxe owners get and redeem the points mentioned in the OP? I've had my WiiU since launch and have never seen anything about it.

Not sure about second since I only buy retail (unless they're small games) but digital will be $60 dollars. It's the same with every other digital version of retail Wii U games.

RetroMG

Got it. In case anyone else is lost, you go to ddp.nintendo.com and put in you NNID and password. I've got $35 worth of credit, which is going to pay for half of the game.

If I were a third party I'd criticise Nintendo for fucking up the launch and post-launch period of their next generation system and promise support when/if they get their shit together.

I think this is exactly what's happened with the vast majority of the Third Party support. Essentially everyone is just doing barebones support (or in EA's case, no support at all) until the system can confirm that there is an audience to go to. That's what this holiday and early next year will show third parties. If the Wii U can't sustain any software numbers after Mario Kart 8, all is lost for support, and outside of super-easy ports, the system will be dead. In that scenario, the Wii U will have a Nintendo-only 2014 and a new system in 2015 to save their hides.

Nintendo really needs a larger developer working alongside them (it has been said often enough, but another Rare or multi-team developer especially). They have built up more developers and support internally over the last gen, but now they need to do that even moreso or have gaps constantly left open while their competitors are constantly releasing games, third party or otherwise.

And I think that is one reason why Platinum, despite the results of this game, will still be seen as a potential asset for Nintendo. They just might need to put the reigns on them if they want to keep in-budget next time, though.

LocalE

The back of this shirt makes me so happy.

I wish I could get one...
Yeah, I thought it was pretty cool.
Unfortunately there is no way to get one.

This is phenomenal, love the back!

Me too.

101 amirite

I think you are rite.

I'm happy as hell that the game exists

but it was pretty much a game that no one wanted. Platinum's typical audience wants strong single player games. People on console don't want to buy multiplayer only games.(which anarchy might as well have been) Fighting game fans don't want games that don't support offline local play. Game alienated just about every potential audience it had in some way.

I'd kickstart a spiritual successor on PC in a heartbeat though

The lack of local multiplayer baffles me here. I do want that. Without it, well, it just has so much less value to me.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
It seems they're doing local multiplayer on wii-u with 101 and Bayo 2.

I'd love to see them try a local vs game on the platform if they got the chance

They technically have three stomp attacks. There's fire stomp, which you're mentioning, that causes a fire explosion to come up out of the ground under your leader character. I don't think there's any way to block the initial stomp.

Then there's the side/back foot stomp, which is the easiest the block and what we're talking about. Just get next to and behind them, they'll lift one foot to try and hit you, use Guts.

Then there's the two front feet stomp, which you can also block, but for some reason tends to miss people a lot when going for a block.

I was really talking about the stomp with two feet that doesn't do any fire attacks. But yeah, will try it again.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
So im trying to beat again the final boss to see if I get at least silver, but Ive come in to some problems
apart from the horrible part of it where the virgin tries to scape throught tubes like at the ending of starfox 64 (its already difficult with 1 ship, but when you control two is absolutley horrendous), Im talking about the final part (I think) where your 200 guys are floating in space with Roboplatinum and the boss is also and enormous mecha thats is throwing you balls and a 360 laser (its really easy to evade all what he throws). The problem is, even after having beaten it one time, I dont know where to hit him. I do a 200 unite morp and its like sometimes I hit him, but other times the move "hits" him traspassing his body, without any damage. There needs to be a moment, or part that always hits him, no?
EDIT: Ok I saw a video, he has giant bulbs on his appendices lol

marc^o^

I just completed the 4th world, while finally getting how to draw the hammler with 90% consistency (only draw a tiny line, then do the circle).

And just like that, my GOTY vote went from TLoU to The Wonderful 101. This is the best arcade game I've played since... I don't know when.

I get such Dreamcast vibes, this is EXACTLY what I LOVE about videogames.

Dartastic

Just beat it. That part at the end where
you're mashing A and then it pans to the W101 and they're all mashing also
made me serious lol. The only drawing I actually had a hard time drawing (ending spoiler)
was the wonder goggles.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
It'll end up getting third party support next year. Publishers are going to be losing a great deal of money through their PS4 and One support (it happens every generation) and will be foolish to ignore a console with a far superior installed userbase. You won't see the PS4 and One selling more than 2m each this year, and publishers shouldn't expect much more than a 5% adoption rate of software. Any sales over 200K between launch day and the end of the year will probably be first party exclusives, although I guess FIFA and CoD may come close.

If Wii U hardware sales go the way I'm thinking before the end of the year and last generation's launch sales are anything to go by we're going to see over 8m Wii Us in homes and less than 2m PS4s and Ones, with Nintendo having Mario Kart 8 launching in April next year to drive sales further.

If my Wii U sales prediction is wrong I won't be more than 2m out at the very worst...and I think my PS4 and One sales are correct considering that the PS3 did around 1.7m and the 360 did around 1.5m during their launch periods (unless I've got those figures wrong, those figures seem to be bandied about but I will stand to be corrected!).

As for ZombiU2 going multiplatform I can't see that happening tbh, using laggy Smartglass and Vita as a substitute for the GamePad won't work too well. Using the DS3 for the Murfy part of the PS3 Rayman Legends demo proves that games designed for the GamePad don't translate well to 'regular' controllers imo.

I'm sorry to say, but you're not living in reality.

anyway I got W1o1 coming soon and while I'm not sure this game is for me, I'm always down for supporting original games. The last platinum game I really enjoyed was madworld, so in my mind if it does st least that well, it's a success

marc^o^

Kuchera's bullshit is not banned on the site, is it?
Just read this and laugh.
http://penny-arcade.com/report/arti...crutable-systems-non-existent-tutorials-and-a

I mean, seriously.
You have a 'game reviewer' saying essentially 'who has time to learn how to play videogames properly'
Shameless. Maybe deep inside what he'd really want is review movies.

There's a new blog update:
http://platinumgames.com/2013/09/13/w101-blog-ep-24-wonderful-missions-fun-with-friends-and-family/

Basic combat works the same as in the main game, but there are some new rules.
For instance…

- The Vitality Gauge is shared by all players.
A true hero never lets his buddies get in trouble.

- You get unlimited use of the Unite Gauge.
Let loose a flurry of Unite Attacks on your opponents.

- Hand, Sword, Gun, Whip, Hammer, Claw, Bomb; all Unite Morphs are available from the beginning.
Everyone should pick the weapon they like best.

- Any skills and Unite Morphs you obtained at the Wonderful Mart in the main game can be used here.
Try the missions after getting stronger and you might get an even higher score!?
However, Custom Blocks have no effect.

- Drawing the Wonder-Liner will not slow down time.
Heroes should work together to create an opening for quickly drawing symbols.

- Items obtained during the stage can only be used by the player in possession of the Wii U GamePad (player 1).

missionresult.jpg

Competitive layer.

snatch1.jpg
snatch2.jpg

You can steal members from your friend :)

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
anyone use a wii u pro controller?

the sticks being above the buttons looks awkward as hell. but I'm trying to get multiplayer in this game going and I don't have enough remotes so I'm considering it

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Picked up the game from pax thx to a buddy of mine. Brief impressions

Much better than the demo!
The smaller enemies are still too hard to spot, not sure what im hitting at times.
The controls are so damn smooth, kamiya smooth
The graphics are jaw dropping, especially the booses. It reminds me of old capcom/konami games.

Capcom and konami should study this game. It's japanese gaming goodness! Tight controls, insane set pieces, kick ass bosses, and most of all FUN! The whole thing just looks like a game. Which is hard to find in big releases.

Now i just need to finish this ans pikmin before gta 5 lol

Kuchera's bullshit is not banned on the site, is it?
Just read this and laugh.
http://penny-arcade.com/report/arti...crutable-systems-non-existent-tutorials-and-a

I mean, seriously.
You have a 'game reviewer' saying essentially 'who has time to learn how to play videogames properly'

Nothing wrong with pick-up-and-play games and nothing wrong with takes-a-lot-of-work-highly-rewarding games.

If you're fucking lazy, don't play this game.

Look at sports, you can't just jump into them and expect to be great and get the most out of them.

I have seen many a comment and watched some playthroughs of this game and while the game can be overwhelming and take some time to get used to, it's not at all the confusing mess the players make it out to be.

Some know it's a quality title but just don't have the patience to let it sink in and shine---nothing wrong with that.

Some think it's garbage and broken and unpolished because they don't have the patience to learn things more complex than what a first-time videogamer player is used to---personally, I think everything is wrong with that; not that they have to put in the effort to get the most out of it but they judge the game because they won't.

Top Bottom