• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 |OT| Diplomacy has failed

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder how far Saur is towards unlocking content.

Surprising we haven't seen him do anything with Wonderful Forever or Platinum Forever, or any of the secret characters.

I guess he's taking it slow. Don't blame him. There are so many tools in this game it's nuts.

Haven't enjoyed a game this much in a long time. You know a game is good when it consumes your thoughts during your regular day. Got an exam in an hour and all I can think about is getting back home and playing more 101.

007B is doable. took a couple of tries. 008C on the other hand - time and combo is no problem. damage however is too high; especially the punch out fight. I never really played punchout before and therefore i suck at those...f.ex. i don't know what to do against the lighting dragon. If you have any tips, i would really appreciate it.

Haven't played that again, but from what I've seen
he telegraphs the dragons movements with his hands, gotta watch those. Vertical movement, you gotta dodge, horizontal, you gotta jump. You have to learn the timing of when the attack is coming, and memorize when to dodge.

Guys, I have one of those credit cards so I can buy any item in the store. What should I get? Unite Charge? Double Power? Ukemi? I already have attack liner, speed charge, and a bunch of the unite morphs.

OMG. You can buy ANYTHING from the store? I thought they literally meant "Item."

So many wasted eggplants, carrots and peppers :(.

Guys, I have one of those credit cards so I can buy any item in the store. What should I get? Unite Charge? Double Power? Ukemi? I already have attack liner, speed charge, and a bunch of the unite morphs.

Speed Charge should be the first thing you buy. Like the VFX Turbo Charger in Viewtiful Joe, it's absolutely essential, considering how much of the Unite Gauge you're always using, and you want it to recharge as fast as possible.

Double Power is just kinda scrubby, not only does it slow down your gauge, but you kill people too fast and end up with a bunch of shitty trophies.

Ukemi is godlike and has been the difference between a Gold and a Platinum medal many a time. Any damage you Ukemi out of doesn't count against you(with the weird exception of the prologue secret mission). I loved this mechanic in VJ, and I love it here. You made a mistake, you get hit, now you got this one chance to time a recovery properly. Adds an interesting wrinkle to the flow of the combat.

Some more good ones:

Unite Charge: Sometimes it's easier to just hold the button and get your weapon bigger instead of drawing another shape.

Dodge Mine: never a bad thing to have around, blows up Vorken for free

Hero Time: Not as good as Witch Time in Bayonetta, as often when you dodge the enemy is mostly invulnerable to any real attacks, and all you're doing is wasting time for those P* medals, but it has it's uses.

Hero Counter: A parry! I don't use it much, but it's one of those things that's just nice to have on in case you do use it.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Something interesting about Hero Time is that it stacks with Hero Sense.(auto witch time when you are about to get hit)

So while that item was a noob trap in Bayonetta,(duration was so brief and only triggered AFTER you got hit, so it was useless as you were in hitstun most of the time for the entire duration) here in 101 it's actually pretty interesting in conjunction with actual witch time. It slows time to allow you to react to the attack about to hit you. Then you can dodge through the attack to get an even bigger slowdown duration.

Use in combination with something like Dodge Mine you can set a bunch of mines during the slow that will all explode at once and deal massive damage when triggered.

So yeah there's a tactic if for you if you think 101% is going to be too much for you to ever complete. Pretty much makes Vorkken eat shit.

Can be a crutch in some acts though as it can quickly burn your bar if triggered too many times outside of your control.

Also to add to JC's post, Energy Converter is also super good. It converts excess meter into health and vice versa when either bar is full.

So in combination with other skills like Attack Liner and other moves that build alot of meter, allows you to heal yourself pretty significantly without hurting your rank. Again another survival tactic for 101% and Operation 101.

I also think Hero Counter is the best accessory in the game, like it was in Bayonetta, but it's probably the hardest to use effectively.

and Hero Camp is the best Unite Morph. Surprised Saur isn't using it more in combo videos. I wonder if he knows about its taunt functionality.

Cheska

Ukemi. It is really useful. Keep in mind you press the jump button when you touch the ground after being hit back/into the air, not before that. I also recommend Hero Time if it is available.

Speed Charge should be the first thing you buy. Like the VFX Turbo Charger in Viewtiful Joe, it's absolutely essential, considering how much of the Unite Gauge you're always using, and you want it to recharge as fast as possible.

Double Power is just kinda scrubby, not only does it slow down your gauge, but you kill people too fast and end up with a bunch of shitty trophies.

Ukemi is godlike and has been the difference between a Gold and a Platinum medal many a time. Any damage you Ukemi out of doesn't count against you(with the weird exception of the prologue secret mission). I loved this mechanic in VJ, and I love it here. You made a mistake, you get hit, now you got this one chance to time a recovery properly. Adds an interesting wrinkle to the flow of the combat.

Some more good ones:

Unite Charge: Sometimes it's easier to just hold the button and get your weapon bigger instead of drawing another shape.

Dodge Mine: never a bad thing to have around, blows up Vorken for free

Hero Time: Not as good as Witch Time in Bayonetta, as often when you dodge the enemy is mostly invulnerable to any real attacks, and all you're doing is wasting time for those P* medals, but it has it's uses.

Hero Counter: A parry! I don't use it much, but it's one of those things that's just nice to have on in case you do use it.

Thanks for the suggestion guys! Those tips and explanations were incredibly useful and pretty much made the decision clear for me :)

And although Unite Bomb + Liner isn't a universal move, it blows up many of the tougher opponents in the game for free. ENEMY SPOILERS
Lambo is dead in 5 seconds, the Not-Grace and Glory Durga variants, the Not-Golem cube thing, the fourth boss' limbs, the crab's head, the big tank at the end of the water stage, flipped over Turtles, hell even the second form of the final boss is completely trivialized with this tactic.
Not Killgore Glitch/Slow-ZRHOH good, but it's in the same league, maybe DMC1 grenade-rolling good.

daakusedo

Parry has a more lenient activation than I thought.
When that cuboid surround itself with a shield and dash toward you, I literally run in its direction and it parry.

L Thammy

Finally got the chance to start, I've just completed Operation 001-A. It's amazing we all spent so much time pouring over the demo and searching for new secrets, but it's like half of a level.

Reaaaally wish there was a patch to fix the leader select / quick help though. So annoying. It should work like the items. Make it so that you have to hold them down for them to open, else it counts like you're drawing a shape.

The only thing that's caused any frustration so far is getting Unite Hammer working right. Switching to the other weapons comes naturally now and it's really neat, imo. Maybe I just need more practice with the hammer.

It would be awesome if there were mini figurines of all the wonder people. I want them all in my pocket or on my work monitors :x

The only thing that's caused any frustration so far is getting Unite Hammer working right. Switching to the other weapons comes naturally now and it's really neat, imo. Maybe I just need more practice with the hammer.

It would be awesome if there were mini figurines of all the wonder people. I want them all in my pocket or on my work monitors :x
I always do unite hammer with the same gesture every time. Always up, then a semicircle and it works every time I do it correctly.

I think this is platinum best looking game, the presentation is really amazing sometimes
Agreed.
Edith: People need to learn that they can pause after the first part of a morph and can continue the rest afterwards. Like draw a straight line, get back to neutral and then draw a half circle. You get unite hammer at 100% accuracy.

daakusedo

I finally did master of unitemorphs, it's on 9-b that things happen.
I'm not in a hurry to try having at least platinum on that level, the shoot-em-up curse...
I frankly don't even know how I don't get hit in those closing barriers and wall of laserlines.

JoeFenix

Just completed Operation 4, these bosses are ridiculous, it feels like I just finished the game every time I'm done with a level.

I'm not even halfway through the whole thing yet......

SuomiDude

I just played the demo of the game, and while it was quite nice, it didn't really catch me in a way it has many others. Maybe it's just the demo or something, but there was something lacking. Also it's way too fast-paced, couldn't really tell what was going on at times. But still there was also something that made the game fun to play, so maybe I'll buy it when it gets very cheap. How long is the game? The first mission took me about 15 minutes or so (gameplay time), only played it once though.

I frankly don't even know how I don't get hit in those closing barriers and wall of laserlines.

The hurtbox in that last section is actually very small, it's right in the middle where
Vorken is standing, and a little bit above him.
I actually got the Plat on 009 in its entirety on my first attempt luckily.

TDLink

I just played the demo of the game, and while it was quite nice, it didn't really catch me in a way it has many others. Maybe it's just the demo or something, but there was something lacking. Also it's way too fast-paced, couldn't really tell what was going on at times. But still there was also something that made the game fun to play, so maybe I'll buy it when it gets very cheap. How long is the game? The first mission took me about 15 minutes or so (gameplay time), only played it once though.

The demo is an extremely small sample of the abilities you will eventually get in the full game. Basically, if you enjoyed it at all you will probably love the game. If you didn't like it you may still love the game. The demo is about 2/3 of the first mission (001-A). I've put in about 10 hours and have only just finished 006-C...so it is quite lengthy.

My guess is you will probably enjoy the game if you get it. The pace does not really let up but you get used to it. The demo also lacks a lot of the cool gameplay changes that frequently occur in the full game.

daakusedo

The hurtbox in that last section is actually very small, it's right in the middle where
Vorken is standing, and a little bit above him.
I actually got the Plat on 009 in its entirety on my first attempt luckily.

I don't see the blue shots and most of the time I dodge them just because I move, I try to concentrate and then there's always a point where I get hit by three or four.
But to be fair, I didn't put a lot of effort in these ones cause just thinking of not getting hit at all is a bit disheartening for pure platinum.

Subaru

Guys, you don't think Ukemi is very hard to make because it's too hard to see your character in the middle of the madness?

SuomiDude

The demo is an extremely small sample of the abilities you will eventually get in the full game. Basically, if you enjoyed it at all you will probably love the game. If you didn't like it you may still love the game. The demo is about 2/3 of the first mission (001-A). I've put in about 10 hours and have only just finished 006-C...so it is quite lengthy.

My guess is you will probably enjoy the game if you get it. The pace does not really let up but you get used to it. The demo also lacks a lot of the cool gameplay changes that frequently occur in the full game.
I did enjoy it a bit yes, so there's a chance I'd like the full game even more. At least you made it sound pretty good about the abilities there is and the length of the game and stuff :D Still I'm most likely waiting for a big price drop, but you'll never know. It's just that there's so many other games coming out for Wii U, and I don't have time for all of them anyway.

TDLink

I did enjoy it a bit yes, so there's a chance I'd like the full game even more. At least you made it sound pretty good about the abilities there is and the length of the game and stuff :D Still I'm most likely waiting for a big price drop, but you'll never know. It's just that there's so many other games coming out for Wii U, and I don't have time for all of them anyway.

Fair enough. I would just add if you only have time for some of them this is definitely one you should make time for. It's original, unique, and you will likely not play something like it again in quite a long time, much less this year. I know there are lots of other games coming out in general (and specifically on the system) but this is not one to miss.

Salih

Guys, you don't think Ukemi is very hard to make because it's too hard to see your character in the middle of the madness?

well whenever i get hit, i immediately press and hold the jump button till i land. Therefore i don't need to time the exact moment when i land.

Regiruler

I'm a simple man: with 3 slots I have healing guts, dodge mine, and speed charge.

Attack liner is neat and speed liner does actually seem to help a bit even with touchscreen formations (they seem to have a longer reach and aren't as restricted by the boundaries of the screen).
Agreed.
Edith: People need to learn that they can pause after the first part of a morph and can continue the rest afterwards. Like draw a straight line, get back to neutral and then draw a half circle. You get unite hammer at 100% accuracy.
I'm assuming this is for r-stick controls. Since I'm a lefty it's less disadvantageous to move my dominant (left) hand into a drawing position, so I have the benefit of higher speed and accuracy with less of the positioning weirdness.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Why does this thread come back to being depressed about sales so often?

Edit: oh you were the one who brought up miiverse totals the last time too

JoeFenix

God Hand reference when
fighting Vijounne with Blue and her hearts turn him into a dog
???

This game is completely out of control haha!

Subaru

well whenever i get hit, i immediately press and hold the jump button till i land. Therefore i don't need to time the exact moment when i land.

It's not really that hard, personally.

Oh, I didn't know that I could hold it. I was just trying to press when at the moment my leader touched the ground.
Now I finally understood how Ukemi works. It's gonna be much easier get those pure platinums...

Dr.Hadji

I seem to remember that one of the main points of debate between DMC and Ninja Gaiden, back in the day, was that enemies in DMC are there for you to style on and enemies in NG where there to kill you. The kind of enemies that pose a slow and steady treat, that become more and more dangerous as you focus more and more on elaborate combos and movement, was a kind of Kamiya staple I thought. I'd say that enemy behavior holds true for Viewtiful Joe as well.

I'd say that holds true for W101 as well. BUT. But, because of the amount of chaos that occurs in battle, the weakened state you get in when a trailing 100 minions get scattered, the hobbled state you fall into when your Unite Meter falls, and the large amount of baddies that make up a battle scene (big, medium and small) the enemies seem like they're always on your trail, always attacking in that breather you try and take, always sucker punching me when I go in for an attack. Such a wild and out of left-field way to address the issue.

Thought character action games have been very comfortable in their approach to combat lately. DMC and NG have forged the way. And now people know how to interact with the scene and the systems within it. W101 comes along and goes, hey remember how lost you were when you first played NG. Yah that feeling is back x2.

Penguin

I knew this game would be light-hearted, but I didn't expect it to be this genuinely funny. Boom!

I like "new Nintendo"

Between this, LEGO City Undercover and Kid Icarus: Uprising, there have been some really funny games. And do a great job of miming other forms of entertainment.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
You know, I've looked at a few examples, and I don't really see any easy correlation to be honest.
Well that's a relief, as far as The Wonderful 101 is concerned, there's still hope. Word of mouth on its small miiverse is outstanding, let's hope this title becomes a slow burner.

Kjellson

I saw that r/gaming on Reddit has a W101 banner, and I searched around to see what people had to say about it. Fucking Reddit, man.

Defect

Just beat the game. I actually lol'd at
the button mashing part and Red's final 'one liner'

Such an amazing and unique game. Puts Pikmin 3 in 2nd place.

101/101 GOTY hands down!

Top Bottom